• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If there's a $200 gap between the PS4pro and Scorpio (by next winter) Scorpio will get destroyed sales-wise.

It took Sony almost 3 years and a revision to get the price of the PS4 down to 299.99. You really think they will drop the price of the Pro by 100 dollars in a year?

Halo Wars 2
Halo 3 Anniversary
Scalebound
Sea of Thieves

are all announced 2017 titles, I would also fully expect for some new titles to be unveiled for the launch of scorpio at e3

Microsoft have been really good with long term support of their first party games of late, so It wouldn't totally surprise me if we'll see Scorpio upgrades for some of the current games.

I bet Halo 5 will get updated to support the system.

Also having Halo 3 Anniversary on launch will be fucking killer. Like really really damn good. Dont fuck up the servers like last time.

Blastoise

Banned
I will probably have a decent PC by the time the Scorpio launches. And if all Xbox exclusives come to the Windows store, I won't need to buy the Scorpio.

It really depends on how MS handles it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This is going to be $399. At least the base model. People think otherwise are crazy lol

I bet Halo 5 will get updated to support the system.

Also having Halo 3 Anniversary on launch will be fucking killer. Like really really damn good. Dont fuck up the servers like last time.

Doesn't matter if the online is silky smooth, going back after Halo 5 will only lead to disappointment.

A remastered campaign at 1080p/60fps with all the bells and whistles though? I'd want that pumped directly into my veins.

Doesn't matter if the online is silky smooth, going back after Halo 5 will only lead to disappointment.

A remastered campaign at 1080p/60fps with all the bells and whistles though? I'd want that pumped directly into my veins.

Well even better, just take the Halo 5 multiplayer engine and remake some Halo 3 maps.

Kolx

I said Scorpio would be $399 a while ago in this thread and was mob attacked lol. Standing by it, Scorpio will be $399..maybe a $499 SKU that includes an elite controller and larger hard drive. Also I think by launch it'll be well over 6TF, maybe 7-7.5TF if it has Zen, its a chance for MS to significantly separate this product from Neo.

I think the console will be 399$ but if they go with 6tfp option. There is no need to increase the power and the price when the clear winner in the power race is MS. Not too many people will change their mind just because it went from 6 to 7.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I think the console will be 399$ but if they go with 6tfp option. There is no need to increase the power and the price when the clear winner in the power race is MS. Not too many people will change their mind just because it went from 6 to 7.
It's not about the TF number, it's about will the console run games in 4K at 60fps...at 6TF I just don't see it, at least based on what current PC GPU's are doing. Scorpio's specs are close though, 8TF cards are handling 4K/60 now. Who knows I'm obviously just thinking out loud.

Edit:
I know you didn't said that, but look above lol.
Ah, missed that. Of course no controller is not gonna happen but I agree with him that I think they'll have 2 versions so they can hit $399.

BumRush

It took Sony almost 3 years and a revision to get the price of the PS4 down to 299.99. You really think they will drop the price of the Pro by 100 dollars in a year?

Absolutely. There's a difference between the first 2-3 years of a consoles life and further years (as sales begin to slow, parts get cheaper, etc). In order to outsell MS I could see it at $299 and - if not $299 - $349 with a game or two.

Bsigg12

I will probably have a decent PC by the time the Scorpio launches. And if all Xbox exclusives come to the Windows store, I won't need to buy the Scorpio.

It really depends on how MS handles it.

Which is fine either way to Microsoft because you're buying software from them regardless. The Scorpio will just be their high end option for those who don't want to buy a PC and want a box they can stick under their tv and (after a slew of updates) just work.

Geist-

If they're going to release holiday 2017 I can't imagine it being more than $399. 1 year from now the spec increase over the PS4 Pro will simply be the technical progress of a year, so if PS4P is $399 now, there's no reason to think Scorpio will be much higher.

Will be a missed opportunity if they don't do Halo 3 Anniversary.

I imagine MS has Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, and Halo Wars 2 being built with Scorpio patches in mind. Maybe even Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3? They probably have a third-party marketing deal or two in mind that they'll have take advantage of Scorpio.

EDIT: Maybe they patch H5 as well so it reaches a higher resolution while maintaining 60fps?

I would assume with Gears 4 being on PC it will take advantage of Scorpio next year

jbug617

Banned
Polygon interview Albert Penello after the Sony meeting
http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/7/12841596/microsoft-xbox-scorpio-playstation-4-ps4-pro-more-powerful

Pricing
With Sony's announcement of a November 10 release this fall and a price tag of $399, eyes are now on Microsoft to announce more about Scorpio. Penello wouldn't speak to price, explaining in part that these things are still being determined. "We know it's important to deliver an experience that demonstrates the power gap between [the PS4 Pro and Scorpio] at a price that makes sense to console gamers," he said.

Bizzquik

Current UHD 4k industry standards require an HDMI 2.0a connection with HDCP 2.2 enabled to support HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the competing HDR standards in North America. Both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in 2013 with HDMI 1.4 support, which offers some support for expanded color gamuts, one component of the current HDR standards. HDMI 2.0a requires specific hardware to support HDR requirements, and while some devices can be upgraded from HDMI 2.0 to 2.0a, it's unclear if this is the case with the PS4's HDMI 1.4 output.

Get Rigby on the case.

novabolt

If MS can create some kind of mini launch with one or two games, I think they'll win Christmas 2017 in Usa and Uk.

I also hope they go back to their old pre Kinect days, they have so many IPs I care about.

I'm still waiting for a new NightCaster,Kameco,Perfect Dark, Conker, Tao Feng and many more.

GodofWine

Now they are just going to keep bragging about the power, aren't they? Very annoying to be honest.

Yep, which is dumb because they are launching a year later...but I'd rather both of them wait 2 years and uncork a couple beasts. Ps5 will likely be announced right before Scorpio launches to steal hype...its getting confusing, if consoles keep leap frogging, I'm going PC.

Zedox

Now they are just going to keep bragging about the power, aren't they? Very annoying to be honest.

Well, they have to keep beating that drum for a year so that people know what's the most powerful system. I understand your angst tho.

novabolt

Also remember the altering of the PWA statement, so we could see an Xbox 🎮 exclusive launching same day as Scorpio.

The Xone was always in need of a bigger tech bump than the ps4.

Still currently saving to upgrade my PC. But between the neo and Scorpio the latter seems the more attractive proposition.

Also msoft hit it out the park with the look of the XoneS, hope they do so with the Scorpio also.

Halo 6 looking stunning on the machine would greatly tempt me if there is no PC version.

Griss

Scorpio sounds great to me.

1.2TF -> 6TF is a proper generational jump, there will be a proper CPU increase unlike PS4P, and as a PS4 user I'll get access to all the XB1 games I never had access to.

Most importantly, I believe it has a better chance of really delivering native 4k gaming experiences, and it will play 4k blu-ray which is important because I have about 3Mb/s internet.

BumRush

1.2TF -> 6TF is a proper generational jump, there will be a proper CPU increase unlike PS4P, and as a PS4 user I'll get access to all the XB1 games I never had access to.

Most importantly, I believe it has a better chance of really delivering native 4k gaming experiences, and it will play 4k blu-ray

Did you steal this post from my head?

Ushay

Scalebound and sea of thieves.

I honestly think MS has a slew of new unannounced games in the pipeline specifically to showcase the Scorpio. In addition to all the mentioned first party games. Can't wait to see what games like Crackdown will look like on Scorpio.

For Xbox one and Xb1s users who already have controller(s). They might appreciate the controllerless SKU.

Sarcasm..?

Outrun

MS needs to show games.... And games... And games...

Forza 7 is going to look amazing.

Halo 6 tease in 2017 will whet appetites.

Crimson skies in 4k.... Hey, we can dream right!

Tonky

I honestly think MS has a slew of new unannounced games in the pipeline specifically to showcase the Scorpio. In addition to all the mentioned first party games. Can't wait to see what games like Crackdown will look like on Scorpio.

Sarcasm..?
Keep in mind that any game that will "showcase" Scorpio's power must also run on the OG Xbox One.

Most importantly, I believe it has a better chance of really delivering native 4k gaming experiences, and it will play 4k blu-ray which is important because I have about 3Mb/s internet.

Yup, this is exactly what I'm thinking too. I'll still have my OG PS4 for Sony exclusives and will now gain access to the already released Xbox One's lineup in addition to the generational leap by going with Scorpio.

DesertFox

For Xbox one and Xb1s users who already have controller(s). They might appreciate the controllerless SKU.
This. I have an elite controller. I have no interest in getting a standard controller bundled in, so a standalone Scorpio would be right up my alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom