• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360: $50 Price Cut coming (weekend of 7/6)

Sgt. Killjoy said:
unless the arcade will now be $250, which makes it identical to the wii when you look at the features.
Identical features? Hardly. X360 playing DVDs and Wii having motion controls and WiFi are the first that come to mind.

GhaleonEB said:
Interesting timing. I thought they'd do it before GTA IV, and when it didn't happen I assumed they were holding off until the holidays. The timing here probably means they'll do another holiday bundle rather than a second round of cuts.

And Microsoft said last year, when Sony cut the PS3 price at E3, that it doesn't make sense to cut in the middle of the summer like that, unless you're forced to.

Mmmm.

Also curious how the other SKUs get cut. A $50 accross the board would be nice, but I doubt that's coming. Dropping the price on the $100 and $180 HDD would be nice too. And also, a pony.

I think it's smart to get a price cut out in front of NCAA and Madden. It's the next best alternative to cutting the price out in front of GTA4.

ThatHurt

for the people saying 50 is not enough.

For now I believe they are happy with the amount of people they are getting.. If they are neck and neck with sony in the US and behind by a little in EU they are still going to be gaining market share from last gen.

If I made a post 4 years ago that the new xbox would outsell the ps3 20 out of 24 months I would have been branded a heritic.

This + the fact that MS made money on its console while Sony keeps bleeding money trying to get back the people it screwed over by including bluray and putting the price so far out of normal peoples reach that they did not buy it, is what I believe is called a win. Even if they end up 2nd (sorry still dont see the wii as this gen and I own one).

ShinAmano

sionyboy said:
Given how the removable fascia on the 360 never took off (anyone use them here? Thought not :p)
I do...granted I have never bought one, but a friend gave me one for christmas (Halo 3 one) and I slapped it on...

RetroMG

I say sweet. I was planning to buy a 360 in the next month or so, and that price drop will probably mean I'll buy the premium, instead of buying the Arcade and then sticking in a Hard Drive later, which was my original plan.

Guy Legend

Looks like this ad and the price drop is happening around E3, weekend of July 13th. The K-Mart ad is actually for then. Ads for the weekend of 7/6 show the old pricing.

RBH

2dl440h.jpg

Price drop occurring during the weekend of 7/13.

minx

So MS is going to announce this at E3? And what exactly from the MS conference hasn't been leaked already? :lol I hope for some suprises.

50 bucks is better then no price drop at all.. but still i dont see this drop shifting alot of hardware in the comming months similar to europe

Pojo

Banned
Even if they dropped it $100, games are still $60. I try to tell myself this when I get excited about a drop. :\

FIREBABY

2nd 360 here I come. Say what you will of the reliability and noise level but it still is the most fun I've had on 1 console. And I own all 3 right now. And $100 price-drop over the past 3 yrs must mean there are doing better than they are reporting profit wise.

Guy Legend

Pojo said:
Even if they dropped it $100, games are still $60. I try to tell myself this when I get excited about a drop. :\

$60 is a lot if you buy a lot of games. Good to look for deals and wait for price drops for games, instead of buying everything right when it comes out.

RBH

Pojo said:
If you know where to look, you can easily get games for less than $60, even sometimes on release date.

CAG <3

Banned
bloody pirate said:
50 bucks is better then no price drop at all.. but still i dont see this drop shifting alot of hardware in the comming months similar to europe

Didn`t sales double in Europe after the price drop?

Tmac

Pojo said:

By the time it reach the $100 markup, a huge percentage of games, compared to now, will retail for a lot less (old/used/platinum games).

RetroMG

SpeedRazor said:
I skimmed the thread to see if this has been posted, but Stootsi has Refurb 360 Pro's for $189.99, $6 shipping today only.

I've bought from them once or twice before so I know they've shipped out fast every time I have ordered from them.

http://www.stootsi.com/?refer=20080627

That is very tempting. But what about the Red Ring of Death? Wouldn't it be more likely on a Refrubed console?

Nester

RetroGamer42 said:
That is very tempting. But what about the Red Ring of Death? Wouldn't it be more likely on a Refrubed console?

I would think that it would still be covered under the regular 3 year Red Ring warranty.

FrankT

Very nice price cut on the most popular SKU and the best bang for your buck. I thought they may throw a price cut around this time as I stated after the no price cut with GTA IV. They waited it out through GTA IV and now MGS4 bump. With a price cut going into E3 this will only add into momentium before the next Madden. I would suspect that the 60gig model should be out before Madden maybe. I also think MS has room for another price cut this year right before black Friday on at least the other SKUs, but bundles will probably be the way to go perhaps again.

Mooreberg

Blader5489 said:
IIRC, the PS2 didn't drop in price until 2003.

May 2002: PS2 - $199, Xbox - $199, Gamecube - $149

People really have forgotten how much of a better deal you could get on games and hardware last gen.

a price drop of only 50 suggests 2 things

1. MS is still trying to recoup losses from RROD
2. 360 Premium still costs MS around $250 to manufacture

Mooreberg

artredis1980 said:

3. They think it's enough to get back ahead of PS3 for monthly sales and they realize it's way too late to do anything about selling even half as much as Wii

artredis1980 said:

I really don't find it surprising that after a first drop of $50, the second one isn't even more. Drops usually stay the same or get smaller, with one exception being the 20 drop followed by 30 drop PS2 and Xbox did: 200 -> 180 -> 150.

Mooreberg said:
3. They think it's enough to get back ahead of PS3 for monthly sales and they realize it's way too late to do anything about selling even half as much as Wii

4. And while doing so they can still just skitch through and maintain profitability.

MechDX

artredis1980 said:

No. There was just no need to.

They didnt consider the Wii a "threat" or their competition. They were staying well ahead of Sony. Sony starts to gain small pieces of ground, now they drop the price. This gen was all about making a profit in the H&E division at MS.

Honestly, what was the point of not dropping the price before GTA4? I think a nice price drop along with that title might have helped the lack of a sales bump. Why drop it like 2 months later? Just to have an E3 announcement?

I thought they wanted to trudge along without a price drop for as long as possible, and they felt that games like GTA4 would push consoles without one. But maybe they were disappointed by their hardware sales in April and May, and this is their reaction?

Moray

Liara T'Soni said:
Honestly, what was the point of not dropping the price before GTA4? I think a nice price drop along with that title might have helped the lack of a sales bump. Why drop it like 2 months later? Just to have an E3 announcement?

There are a lot of financial considerations, like posting enough profit for a specific quarter/fiscal year.

Odysseus

Banned
Moray said:
There are a lot of financial considerations, like posting enough profit for a specific quarter/fiscal year.

and they listened to a lot of morons (gaf posters, analysts, etc.) that said "why drop the price before a big game? consoles will fly off the shelves!"

bigmakstudios said:
I thought they wanted to trudge along without a price drop for as long as possible, and they felt that games like GTA4 would push consoles without one. But maybe they were disappointed by their hardware sales in April and May, and this is their reaction?
Basically same thing that happened last year; the price drop came following several months of mediocre sales and everyone and their mother realizing that they were reaching saturation for that price point.

Top Bottom