• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 Games on Demand: Are ANY of them worth their asking price?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So I'm going through the list, and I'm not really seeing anything that jumps out at me as a decent deal.

Is there ANY Games on Demand title that are worth getting? I'll post the games that go for the lowest price listed for Games on Demand: 19.99.

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Burning Earth
Backyard Sports: Rookie Rush
Backyard Sports: Sandlot Sluggers
Baja: Edge of Control
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Battle Fantasia

Battlefield: Bad Company
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Battlestations: Midway
Bayonetta
Beautiful Katamari
Bee Movie Game
Bionic Commando
BioShock
BioShock 2
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Bomberman: Act Zero
Borderlands
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Burnout Paradise
Burnout Revenge
Cabela's African Safari
Cabela's Alaskan Adventures
Cabela's Big Game Hunter
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Juarez
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Conan
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Crackdown
Crash of the Titans
Crysis
CSI: Hard Evidence
Dante's Inferno
Darkest of Days
The Darkness
Darksiders
DarkStar One
Dark Void
Dead Rising
Dead Space
de Blob 2
Devil May Cry 4
Disney Bolt
Dragon Age: Origins
Earth Defense Force 2017
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Eternal Sonata
Fable II
FaceBreaker
FC Instincts Predator
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
FIFA Street 3
Fight Night Round 3
Fight Night Round 4
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Full Auto
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
G.I. Joe
Guilty Gear 2: Overture

Gun
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Kameo: Elements of Power
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Karaoke Revolution
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon

Lego Batman: The Videogame
Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
The Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: Colonies Edition
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Army of Two
Alone in the Dark
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Mini Ninjas
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
MotoGP '08
MX vs. ATV Alive
MX vs. ATV Reflex
MX vs. ATV: Untamed
NBA 2K9
NBA Street Homecourt
Need for Speed: Carbon
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (NFS Most Wanted)
Need for Speed: ProStreet
Need for Speed: Shift
Need for Speed: Undercover (NFS Undercover)
NFL Tour
NHL 2K9
Lost Planet 2
Operation Darkness
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
The Outfit
Perfect Dark Zero
Phantasy Star Universe
Prey
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Prison Break
Pure
Pure Futbol
Raiden Fighters Aces
Open Season
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Raven Squad
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Resident Evil 4
Rapala Fishing Frenzy
Risen
Rock Band 3
Ridge Racer 6
Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis
Saints Row 2
Samurai Shodown: Sen
Mass Effect
Lost: Via Domus
Sega Superstars Tennis
Shaun White Skateboarding
Shaun White Snowboarding
Sherlock Holmes
Silent Hill Homecoming
skate.
Skate 2
Ski-Doo: Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Sonic Unleashed
Soulcalibur IV
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Street Fighter IV
Stuntman: Ignition
Supreme Commander
Surf's Up
Tekken 6
Terminator Salvation
Test Drive Unlimited
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Tom Clancy's EndWar
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (GRAW)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (GRAW 2)
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Sega Rally Revo
Saw
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Too Human
Top Spin 3
Tornado Outbreak
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Trivial Pursuit
Two Worlds
Tropico 3
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Velvet Assassin
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 2009
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Party Animals
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
Way of the Samurai 3
Vanquish
Where the Wild Things Are
World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars
Wheelman

You can find all of those for cheaper than $20

edit: OK I guess Crysis is worth it, along with the Resident Evils and Deathsmiles 2, because those were never released on a disc (except Deathsmiles 2, but that was never released in North America)

DeathsmilesII.jpg

This one is.

That's about it, though.

My Intel HD integrated graphics runs a lot of those, and they're often $5 on Steam.

Almost always Amazon is cheaper than steam, except for a rare steam sale on just the exact title you are looking for, and you get a real disc from Amazon that you can give away, sell, hold and hug, etc. Plus you dont have to install bloatware.

Oh, I didn't know that Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is $20 on demand. That's a good price, or at least the same price as a used copy

Gassey

Banned
Assassin's Creed II
Bayonetta
BioShock
Darksiders
Dead Space
Mass Effect
Vanquish

Alphahawk

According to Gamestop's website new copies of Vanquish go for 19.99, and used are only two dollars less. So you're actually buying that at market price. Have no idea how the game is though...

Sophia

Assassin's Creed II
Bayonetta
BioShock
Darksiders
Dead Space
Mass Effect
Vanquish

A lot of those are cheaper retail. Bayonetta's as cheap as $8 used, $15 new. I have a feeling you didn't understand what the OP was asking.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So stick with the games that are digital download only? Those are the only ones???

Shame. I'd get get more games CoD games if they'd offer Steam-style sales on them. As it stands the only CoD games I have are Alan Wake, and Fable II, and those are because I was able to purchase "pre-paid" cards for them for less than 10 dollars each.

I'll check out Deathsmiles, if it's as stupid hard as I expect it to be, I'll probably steer clear.

Im a big Cave supporter (PCBs and PAL 360) but the only way for me to get Deathsmiles II is to buy a US/JAP 360 or a $2000 PCB.

So annoyed that its not on the PAL Marketplace Games on Demand.

FyreWulff

About the only one I can think of is Tales of Vesperia.

All of the Halo titles are way overpriced. You can get Halo Wars for 25$ new and with all 20$ of it's DLC included for free.. or you can pay 30$ for the GonD version and still have to pay 20$ for the DLC, which is overpriced itself in the first place.

Speevy

Banned
Almost always Amazon is cheaper than steam, except for a rare steam sale on just the exact title you are looking for, and you get a real disc from Amazon that you can give away, sell, hold and hug, etc. Plus you dont have to install bloatware.

I don't hug discs anyway, and I've bought tons of games over the last week that would have cost me a fortune at the store.

Steam is a great deal for people who use digital distribution.

hitoshi

I'm not living in the USA... right :)

Fun fact: they worth it if you are purchasing them with Microsoft points AND on a totally different marketplace than the US / UK.

I live in Hungary, I have a Hungarian account. Here, 90 percent of the games on Games on Demand cost half the price in Microsoft points then they do on my main, UK account.

For example: I have bought Resident Evil 4 and Crysis for 1890 points - it's the total sum. I don't know why but Games on Demand games in the lowest price range costs 1860 on the UK marketplace and around 940 on the Hungarian marketplace.

So... use the new LIVE regions and pay with Microsoft points when it comes to Games on Demand, you can buy everything much cheaper this way.

I'm expecting the next xbox to be like the Vita where the only way you can play previous gen games is by owning the digital version.

Games might start being worth the asking price if that's the case and you are interested in backwards compatibility.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
With a 250GB HDD, they are worth their price to me. I like owning digital copies which I can boot up at any time. I only own a couple games, but I like the fact that I can run them on a whim.

X26

Banned
nope, as they aren't going to really carry over in the same way as other digitally distributed games do

I'm not worried about being able to conveniently play my steam games or not 1, 5,10 years from now,but games downloaded on the 360? Yea, not likely.

Alx

Game on demand may be worth it for games that you want to be readily available for short sessions, sometimes digging for the disk is not worth it especially if you only want to take a break from a "big" game.
That's the reason why I double dipped for Virtua Fighter 5. I may do the same for Full Auto and Bayonetta too, since they're my favourite games of this generation. But it's more a matter of comfort/laziness, buying the disks is certainly more reasonable.

/\

Full Auto is one of your favorite games of this generation?

But I did the same thing for Virtua Fighter 5. Nothing like just quick-starting from the dash for a few rounds to serve as a break from a big RPG or shooter.

Are you asking 'Are there any games in the Xbox on Demand section that are not available for cheaper elsewhere?'

If so, then no.

If you are asking if there are any games there WORTH $20, then yes. Many of them.

acm2000

if you mean are the games themselves worth that price, then yes, some massive games there, if you mean are they worth the price compared to retail, then mostly no, MS doesnt want to step on the toes of retailers, which sony is testing with doing with the vita, could backfire badly for them

Gaspode_T

Game on demand may be worth it for games that you want to be readily available for short sessions, sometimes digging for the disk is not worth it especially if you only want to take a break from a "big" game.
That's the reason why I double dipped for Virtua Fighter 5. I may do the same for Full Auto and Bayonetta too, since they're my favourite games of this generation. But it's more a matter of comfort/laziness, buying the disks is certainly more reasonable.

Yes, this isn't 360 specific either the prices on PSN for full games is usually the same because third parties decide it

I love Games on Demand, they are like xbla games with 1000 gamerscore :p I have gotten Bayonetta , borderlands, tropico 3, vesperia deathsmiles ii and now rb3 so I don't have to take out Skyrim ever now...

King_Moc

Banned
You pay for convenience. That's why games on Steam never drop below 19.99 either.

Oh wait, they do. That'll be why i've not touched my 360 on over a month.

You pay for convenience. That's why games on Steam never drop below 19.99 either.

Oh wait, they do. That'll be why i've not touched my 360 on over a month.
I'm not a big PC gamer, is there any convenience in buying a game from Steam as opposed to buying a retail copy and activating it with Steam?

Xbox and Playstation retail games require you to have the disc in the machine to work. When you buy the game digitally you no longer have a disc that needs to be inserted to play the game, hence convenience.

snap0212

Most of them aren't worth the price they're asking. Tales of Vesperia was cheaper on there than anywhere else (hard to find in Europe) so I've bought it there. Crysis and Resident Evil are different as they're basically just in that category because the size limits XBLA games have.

Games on Demand is usually a rip-off - just like retail games on PSN. Though you can sometimes find good deals for retail games on PSN. They never seem to have sales on GoD games. In general: Stay away from them. Buying them would just prove that publishers can get away with charging more than retail price for old software that's cheaper for them to 'make' than retail boxes.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm not a big PC gamer, is there any convenience in buying a game from Steam as opposed to buying a retail copy and activating it with Steam?

Xbox and Playstation retail games require you to have the disc in the machine to work. When you buy the game digitally you no longer have a disc that needs to be inserted to play the game, hence convenience.

Well, you get it instantly and the sales are better. Sonic Generations was a little over £6 a couple of days back. A PC retail game that uses Steam doesn't require the disc once installed.

Cartman86

Banned
Can't wait for the next Xbox to allow Games on Demand 360 games to work but not physical discs, and by can't wait I mean fuck me.

Top Bottom