• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

velociraptor

Arthur Gies was the only person there that claimed that there was little to no difference. Everyone else said that there was a big difference between the two versions. Jack Frags in his impressions video noted that multiple journalists agreed with him about the PS4's multiplayer looking better than the Xbox One's single player. And CV&G posted this in their review comments for BF4

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...a-slick-introduction-to-next-gen-multiplayer/
I suppose YT hides a lot of the IQ advantages the PS4 has. I guess you can only appreciate the improved visuals in person.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Great article.

Only small nitpick is his continued referring to his "in theory" article that was bullshit and the comments on GAF and on their own site show why.

KORNdoggy

Whether he's writing more "balanced" articles now or not, leadbetters clear and obvious bias in what should be objective pieces have ruined any chance for me to care about what he has to say. That bridge is burned.

velociraptor

Whether he's writing more "balanced" articles now or not, leadbetters clear and obvious bias what should be objective pieces have ruined any chance for me to care about what he has to say. That bridge is burned.
Although his earlier articles were heavily slanted to one perspective, I for one welcome his new article. He's simply stating the facts as they are this time around.

Love the title for this

Decent piece all things considered

This is interesting

As the metrics emerge on key next-gen launch titles, it's clear that Xbox One is under-performing against its rival - not just according to the spec differential, but actually beyond the difference in raw numbers. Our Battlefield 4 Face-Off preview reveals a 50 per cent resolution boost on PlayStation 4 with no appreciable compromise in effects or performance in single-player gameplay, while Infinity Ward's Mark Rubin confirmed rumours that Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at native 720p on Xbox One, with 1080p a lock for PS4. Assuming uniform features and performance, that's a massive blow for Microsoft.

Also this

Microsoft's "mono driver" for the AMD GPU had been known for months to be delivering sub-par performance prior to Gamescom in August (hence disappointing Ryse and Dead Rising 3 showings at E3) and while improvements have been - and apparently continue to be - delivered, developers have been working around a moving target, unsure exactly what the power of the graphics hardware will be in the final retail box.

BigDug13

He's still spreading misinformation when he says the PS4 has no hardware scaler and is using software scaling on BF4 while XBO is using hardware scaling to improve the picture quality...

But if this is their way of finally rounding the corner back to objectiveness, that's fine. They probably realized they're having their whole market of providing unbiased graphics analysis stolen from them by other sites that are now doing a better job of remaining objective.

Phreaker

The only thing I feel pretty sure about is 3rd parties not using the "power of the cloud" BS. Why would they?

In the end I bet most multiplatorm games will perform better on the PS4 than the Xbox One and I think that's unfortunate.

This is becoming quite widely discussed, and I can't help feel it's a storm in a teacup created to generate controversy. On another forum I visit, they were discussing this with realising CoD didn't run at 720p on current consoles. So I wonder how obvious it really is in isolation.

At the end of the day, as long as the games are fun to play, right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
As long as it looks good, I don't care what resolution it is. There are just too many other factors that determine how a game look.

I agree with you on the first point. However, better hardware affects all of those factors, not just resolution. So if you're just making a statement about what's important to you when it comes to visuals, no issue. If you're trying to say the hardware difference doesn't matter because resolution isn't the only important thing, the hardware difference still matters.

velociraptor

One issue I have with this article is that Leadbetter says he is puzzled as to why there is such a wide gap between the XBO and the PS4 with BF4 and COD Ghosts. I'll tell you why: the PS4 GPU is that much better than the Xbox One GPU. Perhaps not 125% better, but 50% better is in line with the performance benchmarks of their equivalent GPUs.

That or you need Gamersyde-quality comparison videos.
Yep.

Steroyd

In our In Theory piece, we could only address the teraflop difference - we couldn't measure the impact of Xbox One's reduction in memory bandwidth, and we certainly couldn't factor in what was then the big unknown: the controversial 32MB of Embedded Static RAM (ESRAM) built into the Xbox One's central processor.

Really?

Really!?

Raist

Banned
Throwing a bone because he's been getting loads of backlash recently nd his credibility took a serious hit. Sorry Rick, not buying it.

At the end of the day, as long as the games are fun to play, right?
Jaggies and tearing, excessive blurring and/or slowdowns can definitely affect your enjoyment of a game.

All that I ask is that the visuals are clean and crisp and seem designed to fit my display. When a game visually breaks at the seams or can't maintain a decent framerate, something has gone very wrong, regardless of the actual specific numbers involved.

If devs can make their game run well and fit the display through smoke and mirrors, designing to those limitations, or creative use of art style and color instead of going full native resolution with a locked framerate, more power to em. If I don't notice any issues when playing then they've won.

There seem to be two mindsets here:

1) That the devkits were given later to Xbox One and that the gap will achieve parity soon enough as developers get used to Xbox One.

2) That the gap will continue to widen given that these launch games aren't exercising the potential of next gen hardware, and that if this is the state it is in now, it will only get worse given that developers will get more out of the PS4's potential.

I don't know which to believe.

Perhaps a mixture of both.

1) It seems like the software dev tools are still maturing on the XB1 side of things, and the OS (or rather, operating systems) on the XB1 still sounds like it's being fleshed out.

2) As well, the PS4's full power isn't being exploited in these early stages and as developers get more familiar with it, it'll shine more.

For these reasons, I'm sure there will be a gap throughout the generation, but I would personally be surprised to see a 720p/1080p type gap. I think 900p/1080p (or something of that nature) will be more common once developers get familiar with both systems. I personally think these early differences we're seeing are pronounced because of rushed development, constantly evolving development tools, and a lack of familiarity with the hardware on both platforms.

And, just like previous generations, the best graphical examples for both platforms will be by 1st parties (or 2nd/3rd parties developing exclusively for one platform). If you can focus on just one platform and don't have to worry about spreading your resources to optimize for two (similar, but still different) platforms, you'll be able to push that one platform much further.

Ryse and KZ:Shadowfall are great early examples of this. Ryse being the example that the "weak" system can still "wow" people, and KZ being the example that the PS4 is just getting started in showing us what it is capable of.

I'm personally pretty excited to get past this launch.

codhand

As long as games are 60fps, I could almost tolerate the absence of 1080p.

so wii u then? seriously though, im with you; 60fps > resolution

Perhaps a mixture of both.

1) It seems like the software dev tools are still maturing on the XB1 side of things, and the OS (or rather, operating systems) on the XB1 still sounds like it's being fleshed out.

2) As well, the PS4's full power isn't being exploited in these early stages and as developers get more familiar with it, it'll shine more.

Ryse and KZ:Shadowfall are great early examples of this. Ryse being the example that the "weak" system can still "wow" people, and KZ being the example that the PS4 is just getting started in showing us what it is capable of.

I'm personally pretty excited to get past this launch.

god, why do jrs have to be so freaking reasonable all the time! ;P

TheTwelve

If you freeze their BF4 comparison video at 0:45 and look at the ground, I will say that's the first time I can clearly see the X1 version looking better. At least the ground looks better, while even in the same shot everything else looks too dark.

In his confusion for the huge difference, he forgot they wrote a piece about X1 reserving 10% of the GPU to Kinect/Snap that could cause the difference on top of the already weaker GPU.

Crisco

Banned
However, the hardware make-up itself could be more troublesome for multi-platform developers in the longer term, despite Microsoft's outline of how the Xbox One tech operates and the theoretical advantages it chose to highlight. In our In Theory piece, we could only address the teraflop difference - we couldn't measure the impact of Xbox One's reduction in memory bandwidth, and we certainly couldn't factor in what was then the big unknown: the controversial 32MB of Embedded Static RAM (ESRAM) built into the Xbox One's central processor.

Truth, YOU couldn't measure the impact. Yet many other people did and were eventually vindicated, while you kept insisting that the impact would be negligible, with the Xbox One possibly benefiting in some way. Still a hack, but at least he's admitting he's a hack.

We hear different stories about ESRAM from virtually every source we speak to, but two gripes are common. Firstly, the notion of operating between two memory pools for render targets is an additional pain that is not an issue on PlayStation 4's unified 8GB of GDDR5. Secondly - and perhaps most importantly - the most common compliant we hear is that developers really want more than 32MB for their high-bandwidth graphics work.

There are so many examples of consoles being built with too small an amount of embedded RAM and MS still didn't learn.

Andvary

it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either

He just threw Albert Penello under the bus.

Penello said:
Look, I get some people claim such amazing eyesight as to be able to instantly distinguish native vs. upscaled when you're in a room watching and enjoying a game demo, despite the fact that it requires normal people access to a direct feed screenshot with very particular sections zoomed up 8x to pixel count, while also making sure you're accounting for other intentional environmental effects that may blur or otherwise impact the image.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...pixel+counting

But hey, if you're saying you can tell the difference with enough accuracy to make a public disclosure about it, just by watching someone play the game, then I say wow.

I've seen a bunch of other 3rd party games running at various times, and I can't tell you the *native* resolutions of those either.

So me, I'm not making that claim. I'm sorry if you think that's a job requirement.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87103984&postcount=2839

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I honestly never thought it would come to this. A next gen console from MS that can't run COD at 1080p. It's still a shock...

Despite your tag, this really is quite amazing.

Cornbread78

I mean with their balls out on the table with press already, why are most media outlets and journalists so afraid to be up front and honest about these major differences?

iJudged

Banned
Wait, hold on, what now? Then only reason I am getting the xbone Is because my buddies are getting it and all they play is fifa clubs and other sports games, that being said. Is fifa 14, NBA2K14, madden 14,and perhaps ghosts, are they at 60fps? (potential freakout incoming)

Top Bottom