• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Mr Moose

Not really being a 'techical fellow' myself, this article seemed very reasonable.

It was very "balanced" :p

Wait, hold on, what now? Then only reason I am getting the xbone Is because my buddies all play fifa clubs and other sports games on it, that being said. Is fifa 14, NBA2K14, madden 14,and perhaps ghosts, are they at 60fps? (potential freakout incoming)

If Ghosts is 720p and NOT 60fps on Xbox One, I would be very surprised. (Then again...)
I think NBA2K14 has been confirmed @ 60(?)

Curufinwe

Pretty good article. This is particularly interesting to me since people have been predicting this would be the case all year long:

We hear different stories about ESRAM from virtually every source we speak to, but two gripes are common. Firstly, the notion of operating between two memory pools for render targets is an additional pain that is not an issue on PlayStation 4's unified 8GB of GDDR5. Secondly - and perhaps most importantly - the most common compliant we hear is that developers really want more than 32MB for their high-bandwidth graphics work.

lazydom

I'm glad at least some of the press are acknowledging "resolutiongate" rather than dismissing concerns as juvenile console warfare.

lucius

As long as games are 60fps, I could almost tolerate the absence of 1080p.

I could almost also, but really should be $50-100 less than PS4 not $100 more considering the power difference, should have never made Kinect a main part of the system, maybe make a version without kinect next year, get cheaper as soon as possible.

FranXico

Great article from Richard Leadbetter. Can't wait to read posts from people that egged him this past week.

Here you go.

WTF? Why is the technical analyst writing so many blog posts positive towards the least powerful console lately? Did RL ever write such dedicated articles about the PS3 starting to win over gamers last gen? Somebody please provide me with such links to persuade me away from his perceived double standards.

Since then, Microsoft has reversed many of its setbacks and concentrated on gaming first and foremost - the "TVTVTV" focus in the messaging has all but gone and the platform-exclusive line-up is winning over gamers far more, we suspect, than its attempts to compete with PS4 on platform parity.

Wow. Amazing stuff. The technical analyst who made a name for himself of such cold hard pixel and frame counting, now wants to remind us all that it's all about the games!

(edited out harsh language).

Great article from Richard Leadbetter. Can't wait to read posts from people that egged him this past week.

You can't be serious. The only reason he is backtracking now is probably because his bosses at EG are finally starting to notice how badly DF is making their whole organization look. He was probably called into a meeting and told to cut his shit out or else.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, hold on, what now? Then only reason I am getting the xbone Is because my buddies all play fifa clubs and other sports games on it, that being said. Is fifa 14, NBA2K14, madden 14,and perhaps ghosts, are they at 60fps? (potential freakout incoming)
Your buddies all play games on Xbox One? The system isn't yet available. It sounds like they are attached to Xbox 360 rather than Xbox One.

You know what I was gonna suggest that it's time to eat crow for all those people saying the consoles were equal, and we'd never tell the difference..

but you know what, I don't wanna, because I genuinely feel for them, as gamers it does us no favors when one of our toys just can't cut it (as well as the competition)...

If there's anything of good that has come out of this, is you can be bloody sure next time round MS won't go within a million miles of some esoteric memory configuration, and will just do a big pool of unified ram...

freefornow

Gold Member
So, Leadbetter is good now? He had all sorts of descriptive terms used against him no more than a day or two ago. I can't keep up with the judgments.

VanWinkle

and what games are running at that. And I mean full games. Not just one part of it.

Forza 5, NBA2K12, NFS Rivals, and Knack?

Confirmed 1080p 60fps XB1 games are I BELIEVE Forza 5 and NBA2K14.

Confirmed 1080p 60fps PS4 games are CoD Ghosts, Blacklight Retribution, Resogun, Tiny Brains, Flower, NBA2K14, DC Universe Online, Injustice is VERY likely, and there are most likely more that just haven't been mentioned yet.

Also, why would we not count Killzone? It is 1080p 60fps in multiplayer. Why would that not count? Don't try to introduce some kind of caveat for your list.

iJudged

Banned
I could almost also, but really should be $50-100 less than PS4 not $100 more considering the power difference, should have never made Kinect a main part of the system, maybe make a version without kinect next year, get cheaper as soon as possible.
They should just remove the damn thing and sell it separately, someone at MS is stuck on selling this shit period day 1 bundled for whatever reason.

Gonna take more articles than this to undo the damage, but it's a start. I'll take it.

They'll be fine as long as they do what the site was designed to do, which is compare games. It should have very little of the writers personal opinion filtered in. Just facts and leave it at that. They should also try to move away from speculation articles. I'm surprised that they're even still doing that after the FFXIII debacle that Richard went through.

BigDug13

So, Leadbetter is good now? He had all sorts of descriptive terms used against him no more than a day or two ago. I can't keep up with the judgments.

No, he's not good. He still spread hardware misinformation about PS4 not having a hardware scaler and using software to upconvert resolutions. Inexcusable for a site that is dedicated to providing unbiased hardware and game analysis.

Tulerian

Arthur Gies was the only person there that claimed that there was little to no difference. Everyone else said that there was a big difference between the two versions. Jack Frags in his impressions video noted that multiple journalists agreed with him about the PS4's multiplayer looking better than the Xbox One's single player. And CV&G posted this in their review comments for BF4

Hi guys. We were told by EA we couldn't cover the Xbox One version, but clearly that's not what was sent out to other media.

I've added a previously edited line back in to the review pointing out that the PS4 version, to our critic, looked vastly superior to Xbox One. Expect a more detailed comparison shortly.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...a-slick-introduction-to-next-gen-multiplayer/

Aaaand there we have it...

The real reason the reviews are saying almost no difference. People are being pressured in to putting the XB1 in a better light. Whether this is a monetary bribe, or threat in some way it now makes sense why reviews don't seem to be saying what you'd expect of the resolution and effect differences.

This is why the controlled review environments, and certain peoples opposition to it being imposed on them. The publishers are trying to control what information is being presented to the public.

Don't let this go lightly folks, or you will never be able to trust a review again.

Amir0x

Banned

Most people are saying it's a start. Which it is.

Just because people said before he was completely bonkers over his PS4 v. XBO articles, doesn't mean we therefore cannot acknowledge when an article suggests a change and still be consistent with our thoughts on him.

Sweep14

There seem to be two mindsets here:

1) That the devkits were given later to Xbox One and that the gap will achieve parity soon enough as developers get used to Xbox One.

2) That the gap will continue to widen given that these launch games aren't exercising the potential of next gen hardware, and that if this is the state it is in now, it will only get worse given that developers will get more out of the PS4's potential.

I don't know which to believe.

N° 2 : PS4's GPU is the one with the most potential

Good on them for making this article... at least they have remnants of the balls they once had... lets see if they keep growing or shrink back down again.

Time and again this forum reaches the right conclusions long before the press admits to the same thing.

So much for "fun scalers" and all that tripe we have endured. Maybe now we can move on and stop arguing about system power. Sony won that fight. Its done. Time to move on.

FranXico

Aaaand there we have it...

The real reason the reviews are saying almost no difference. People are being pressured in to putting the XB1 in a better light. Whether this is a monetary bribe, or threat in some way it now makes sense why reviews don't seem to be saying what you'd expect of the resolution and effect differences.

This is why the controlled review environments, and certain peoples opposition to it being imposed on them. The publishers are trying to control what information is being presented to the public.

Don't let this go lightly folks, or you will never be able to trust a review again.

I wonder if political pressure was this strong/bad coming from Sony in the PS2 days...

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Poor guy. I can see him submitting this post, wiping the sweat off of his brow and then pouring himself a glass of strong whiskey.

Either way, I did enjoy the article and I thought it was great. Hopefully, we will get more pieces like this in the future.

ClearData

It's funny this comes to my attention the same day as Neil Long's Edge article on the same topic that poo-poos the controversy as a fanboy creation of little consequence.

Can we now say this in response to "Have you seen Titanfall?"

"I have. Have you seen Killzone?"

jayu26

I think he is trying to salvage his reputation, which has clear taken a massive hit as of late.

Piggus

How can all your buddies play sports games on it if it's not even out yet? If you're just going to play third party sports games wouldn't it be better to all get the better (and cheaper) system? :/

rjinaz

Arthur Gies was the only person there that claimed that there was little to no difference. Everyone else said that there was a big difference between the two versions. Jack Frags in his impressions video noted that multiple journalists agreed with him about the PS4's multiplayer looking better than the Xbox One's single player. And CV&G posted this in their review comments for BF4

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...a-slick-introduction-to-next-gen-multiplayer/

So what can we take from this? Arthur Gies is either lying to everybody, lying to himself, or has vision problems. If other than the latter, I'm not sure how anybody can take him seriously.

StuBurns

Banned
No, he's still specifically writing in favor of MS by ignoring, or outright lying, he just isn't doing it to such an obnoxious degree, because he knows it's no longer possible to bullshit to that same degree. Still, that's a step in the right direction.

PKrockin

At last week's Battlefield 4 review event in Stockholm, we noted that the resolution change from one version to the next was obvious to many of the press in attendance, with some even suggesting on-site that the PS4 version was operating at native 1080p when its actual resolution was 1600x900.
What's the issue exactly? Am I supposed to be outraged?

iJudged

Banned
The point is, they have not yet purchased it. There's still time to jump ship, so to speak.
Tried and failed lol. Most of them started gaming with the Xbox and want to stay with it. No matter how hard I try, it doesn't matter, Xbox Xbox Xbox.... It's weird, it is the only system they ever owned really, all 3 of them.

Ps... All they play is sports games and some cod here and there.

dejay

Banned
This is a multiplatform, launch game. Why don't people just see how development for the two systems evolves in the coming months and years?

Madness. Ryse is showing how pretty a gaming machine the xbone can be, albeit at 900 pixels. I don't expect the bone to ever match, but it's still going to be decent. Both machines aren't as advanced as they could be compared to PC, although the PS4 gives great bang for buck. Xbone should have been $100 cheaper, even with Kinect.

At the very least though, it shows how much easier the PS4 is to develop for out of the gate for multiplats - whatever the reason. Time to triangle and all that. I'm just hoping this gen is fairly short and the next gen sticks to the PC-like architecture.

vcc

One issue I have with this article is that Leadbetter says he is puzzled as to why there is such a wide gap between the XBO and the PS4 with BF4 and COD Ghosts. I'll tell you why: the PS4 GPU is that much better than the Xbox One GPU. Perhaps not 125% better, but 50% better is in line with the performance benchmarks of their equivalent GPUs.

Yep.

We have the % confusion here.

PS4 = 18 CU's
XB1 = 12 CU's

XB1 = 66.6..% PS4 CU count
PS4 = 150% XB1 Cu count

PS4:CoD = ~2mpixels
XB1:CoD = ~1mpixels

XB1:CoD = 50% PS4:CoD
PS4:CoD = 200% XB1:CoD

So while there is a 50% CU difference there is a 100% more pixels being pushed suggesting reasons other than pure GPU count. I'd hazard a guess and say that the XB1 is bandwidth capped because usage of the eSRAM is subpar. ROP and TMU difference may also mean something.

We hear different stories about ESRAM from virtually every source we speak to, but two gripes are common. Firstly, the notion of operating between two memory pools for render targets is an additional pain that is not an issue on PlayStation 4's unified 8GB of GDDR5. Secondly - and perhaps most importantly - the most common compliant we hear is that developers really want more than 32MB for their high-bandwidth graphics work.

This is a little alarming... They should be able to use more than 32MB on xbone with less impact on development and performance than on 360... Why are they not able to?

Piggus

Tried and failed lol. Most of them started gaming with the Xbox and want to stay with it. No matter how hard I try, it doesn't matter, Xbox Xbox Xbox.... It's weird, it is the only system they ever owned really, all 3 of them.

Then tell them to stop being pathetic fanboys. Their ignorance shouldn't impact your enjoyment of gaming. If they want to pay more for inferior ports, let them.

rjinaz

So Digital Foundry is trying to be reliable again? Nice.

Unintentionally or not, what occurred with their comparison videos was concerning. They convinced many people that XB1 has the better graphics, people who are going to be making a $500 purchase with faulty information. I'm glad they are trying to rectifying this by making it clear this isn't the case.
Edit: Or rather, I'm glad Richard Leadbetter is at any rate.

notBald

1) It seems like the software dev tools are still maturing on the XB1 side of things, and the OS (or rather, operating systems) on the XB1 still sounds like it's being fleshed out.

Being a ticker architecture, the X1 may have more room to grow as its launch titles will use the system less effectively. BF4 has more pixels, better effects and higher framerate on the PS4, but perhaps BF5 will "only" have a framerate and resolution advantage.

My current prediction is that the X1 will sell well to start with but have a sharp drop off next year. But if MS can get the price down enough it might become competitive.

A kinect-less x1 at $299,95 would be tempting.

Top Bottom