• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Direct Footage 11.5.2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I always really liked Xenosaga 3's character designs. Far better than Xenosaga 2's blasphemous creations.

Xenosaga_III_1900x1200_ver_2_by_REProduction.jpg

I'm not a big fan of Momo, but I've never liked her design that much. Xenosaga 3 KOSMOS is best KOSMOS!

Zero²

As long as Sawano makes songs like this, the ost should turn out fine.

https://m.soundcloud.com/zenko-aldnoah/09-al
I was thinking something more in line of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7L6kWqxW4

Again I dont see why people are fretting so much without even waiting to see what will be the result. I mean all Xeno games had AMAZING soundtrack, with my favorite of them being the Xenogears OST
Love you Mitsuda s2
Takahashi knows its music, its no wonder he is bestfriends with one of the best videogame composer of all.

Voliko

Sorry but no.

9cPx3XT.jpg

MfoW3qn.jpg
Sure, it's higher resolution and more polygons, but besides that, these look very similar to me. They could easily be in these same game. The new models are still not quite the representation of Tanaka's art in 3D that I was hoping for.

Cosmozone

Damn, still no more specific release time frame. Could come relatively soon, though from what I've read in this thread. That bird's-eye view was pretty nice.

chadboban

Damn, still no more specific release time frame. Could come relatively soon, though from what I've read in this thread. That bird's-eye view was pretty nice.

Japan is Spring 2015, and it's targeting a 2015 release in the west. No idea if they'll be able to hit that target though, the game is pretty fucking huge after all. I imagine localization could take some time.

aravuus

I'd take Xenoblade's story over those any day, honestly.

Opinions, of course. XB's story was so goddamn shounen I'd personally just watch any of the millions of shounen anime if I wanted something like that lol.

Granted, both Gears' and Saga's stories had pretty huge problems of their own. For one, neither actually turned out like Takahashi wanted to lol

e: well i admit i enjoyed blade's story more than saga's. saga could have been way better if it actually got finished and if it didn't have the worst protagonist in jrpg history.

Zero²

Opinions, of course. XB's story was so goddamn shounen I'd personally just watch any of the millions of shounen anime if I wanted something like that lol.
Why do you think its that shounen? Shounen just mean the type of magazine the manga is published, but anyway, I'd like hear your thoughts for real, since I havent played Blade yet.
Its impossible to find a original copy here T_T So I'll have to import one from the US, and I dont have the money for all that right now...

Mat-triX

Does anyone know where I can find footage of the character customization from E3? detailed footage; going through the list of options of clothing to facial features. I'm interested to know how deep it is.

Yarbskoo

I'll be honest, If you told be these three characters were from the same game, I'd probably believe you if I didn't already know better.

6sY9xYo.png

Anyway, I'm not really that concerned about the faces for two reasons:

1. There's still a chance, albeit increasingly small, that the character models will be tweaked and changed for the better before release.
Shulk used to look like this:
PfadF3b.png

2. I didn't like the character models in Xenoblade Chronicles either, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the game greatly. The character models weren't the focus for me, it was all about those environments. I think I would have enjoyed the game even if the characters looked like they'd been ripped straight from Final Fantasy VII.
Sure, good looking characters can only a be a plus, but it's not a big enough factor to put me off the game, or to convince me to buy a game I'm not interested in playing otherwise.

Same. They're the furthest thing from this "horrible" hyperbole being used to describe them,

we should be so lucky to have Tanaka's INFLUENCE

6Qpdhir.jpg

This piece is really good, especially the eyes.

I don't have an issue with the faces in the game, especially since you create your own main character.

The faces of the characters in Xenoblade looked ....different but it didn't detract from the game for me. It was actually good because of how emotive they were during cutscenes. The only thing I want regarding the faces of the characters in Xenoblade Chronicles X is for them to at least have the same range of facial motion that Xenoblade's faces had.

wmlk

Read the Iwata Asks on Xenoblade's soundtrack if you haven't already. Takahashi was super strict in regards to what he wanted and how it fit in the game. I don't think he gave Sawano a pass just because he's a fan of a series that Sawano worked on...

Hiroyuki Sawano can create that Gundam sound that Takahashi clear wants for this game. It makes sense for him to give Sawano leeway.

Porcile

Does anyone know where I can find footage of the character customization from E3? detailed footage; going through the list of options of clothing to facial features. I'm interested to know how deep it is.

Check the two Treehouse Live E3 demonstrations. They skipped through it pretty quickly and all the options were in Japanese. The game hasn't been in public hands yet so we really don't know a huge amount about anything really.

krizzx

Personally, I always really liked Xenosaga 3's character designs. Far better than Xenosaga 2's blasphemous creations.

I'm not a big fan of Momo, but I've never liked her design that much. Xenosaga 3 KOSMOS is best KOSMOS!

Is still like Xenosaga Episode 1's designs the most. They were the most creative and expressive.

Shion looks so plain, dull, and uninteresting in 2. 3 is better, but still not as unique as 1.

shion.jpg

Is still like Xenosaga Episode 1's designs the most. They were the most creative and expressive.

Shion looks so plain, dull, and uninteresting in 2. 3 is better, but still not as unique as 1.

shion.jpg

For me, Xenosaga 1's designs were almost too anime. I mean, I thought they were okay, but personally, Xenosaga 3's mixture of XS1 and 2's designs were pretty great. I'm still a little confused on why Shion's shorts are open in XS3 though, lol. The most important thing about going from XS2 to 3 is bringing back the old voice actors. I will never understand why they changed them for XS2 in the first place.

aravuus

Zero²;137697097 said:
Why do you think its that shounen? Shounen just mean the type of magazine the manga is published, but anyway, I'd like hear your thoughts for real, since I havent played Blade yet.
Its impossible to find a original copy here T_T So I'll have to import one from the US, and I dont have the money for all that right now...

Not sure why you're asking if you haven't even played the game yet lol

With shounen I mean stuff like Bleach, One Piece, Naruto and stuff like that. I suppose I should clarify that I mean it's very shounen compared to Xenogears and Xenosaga: it's very much a simple story of a chosen boy whose off to save the world in its heart. Which is very traditional in JRPGs. But XB just feels extra shounen compared to most other JRPGs cause it's got that "meet unbeatable foe -> get beaten -> train or otherwise get a new skill -> destroy said foe -> rinse and repeat" thing going on.

I'm still a little confused on why Shion's shorts are open in XS3 though, lol.

At that point she's fucked up so much she just doesn't care anymore

Also yes XS3 designs are waaaaayyyy better than XS1.

Coming off of Project Nimbus Sawano-esque music is very effective for games that want to give off strong Gundam Unicorn vibes.

I'm hoping they use something like a Gundam launch sequence for when you first get your Doll.

In the west? They said "targeting 2015", so probably late November.

And no, Zelda will not be released in 2015, wake up people.

Xenoblade X also won't be their core November release unless they're out of their mind and think a jrpg that isn't from Square will somehow do well as a holiday release. It's either Starfox or Zelda as the November release, it will not be anything but.

All this talk about Xenosaga makes me want to replay the series. HD COLLECTION PLEASE! D:

Except Xenosaga 2. Okay, fine, XS2 as well.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Sure, it's higher resolution and more polygons, but besides that, these look very similar to me. They could easily be in these same game. The new models are still not quite the representation of Tanaka's art in 3D that I was hoping for.
higher resolution and polygons is what sets a newer console from a older one, if they look look like they're from the same game than I can almost guarentee you it probably is intentional exactly because of artstyle chosen.

aravuus

All this talk about Xenosaga makes me want to replay the series. HD COLLECTION PLEASE! D:

Except Xenosaga 2. Okay, fine, XS2 as well.

Same here. Every couple of months I get this urge to replay the XS games.

Then I remember Shion is in them and I basically just groan out loud and go "oh, yeah... yeah, it's just not worth it" and I just boot up FF IX or KH.

Voliko

higher resolution and polygons is what sets a newer console from a older one, if they look look like they're from the same game than I can almost guarentee you it probably is intentional exactly because of artstyle chosen.

Well yeah, they are using the same character designer. I certainly don't think the models are bad, but I had thought the style would translate a bit better into 3D with today's technology over a decade later.

chadboban

xuzhog.gif

Seeing this part really made me happy. Loving the variety of species NLA seems to have. I don't think we've seen those short alien-like creatures looking at that sign and that big guy seems to be new as well.

Plus we already know that they have Nopon

and we've already seen the horned dude

and these two who look like they have some feline qualities to them

Really excited to see what other NPC species there are to interact with in the game.

ika

Chances are we're not getting another story like Xenoblade's this time around though. If he's made it known that he wants to go back to his roots when it comes to the story, then expect nothing less/more than god killing and religious ties for the antagonists(we already know this 2nd part is the case because of the e3 trailer).

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm more excited about the story too now that Takahashi has said it's not gonna be a (somewhat formulaic) shounen adventure like Xenoblade was. I mean I liked it, but the Gears and Saga stories are much, much more interesting.

Do we have any source for this? I noticed how people keep saying this but I failed to see an actual quote/interview/video of Takahashi commenting on these things.

In fact, if I remember correctly, he said just the opposite in some interviews like Iwata Asks. Like how he was somewhat stagnated in his old ways of writing, how Xenoblade development and Nintendo helped him to change some bad habits and how he would try a more "mature" writing with his next projects.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'd be cautious about this. Yes, Xenoblade X will be Takahashi's new Space Opera and we'll see -maybe- some religious/philosophical/psychological themes, mysterious organizations, ridiculous acronyms and all but I'm not sure we'll go back to Xenogears/Saga levels of epicness, plot complexity and craziness.

I see this game as a bigger Xenoblade with HD graphics, refined gameplay (battle, quests, menus), and a similar setting to Perfect Works Xenogears Ep 1 but toned down. I'll be happy if I'm wrong and MonolithSoft goes over the top again with this, though.

(I'm sorry in advance for typos/grammar... Not my first language -_-)

B.K.

shion.jpg

I always prefered Takana's art to Choco. Soraya Saga's concept art from Xenogears Episode I wasn't too bad.

4fmcxdZ.jpg

Zero²

I see this game as a bigger Xenoblade with HD graphics, refined gameplay (battle, quests, menus), and a similar setting to Perfect Works Xenogears Ep 1 but toned down. I'll be happy if I'm wrong and MonolithSoft goes over the top again with this, though.
Well the way you talk makes it seem like Xenoblade itself wasnt over the top, which I dont really agree.
you are walking for the entire game on the dead body of two dead gods lol
Sure the plot is more simplistic, but that has more to do with Takeda influence on it, than anything else I'd say, since he used to write anime for all his life.
I remember reading a interview some time ago that Takahashi said that Xenoblade was only the beginning of what he planned, like it was only a test and barely what he had as the complete vision for his work. But fuck I cant find it now...

FOUND IT BABY :) Its on the Nintendo Power interview he did.

Yep, he said that xenoblade was only an experiment, not his company Magnum Opus, etc...

"...there are times when I want people to be more critical."
- Tetsuya Takahashi, Iwata Asks: In Conversation with Takahashi & Sakaguchi (2011)

"...in terms of my own personal goal--my vision of an ideal game--I'd honestly have to say that it's barely 5% of the way there."
- Tetsuya Takahashi, Interview with Tetsuya Takahashi (Nintendo Power, 2012)

"To be honest, there are times when I think I've atrophied as a writer since the Xenogears era."

"I often find myself thinking, 'One of these days, I'd love to free myself from these sorts of restraints and write whatever I truly want to write'"

"I couldn't figure out why they would care so much about a game like Xenoblade Chronicles when they had so many superior RPGs to choose from in the West."

" [I'm] grateful for the game's positive reputation, [but I and my team] didn't set out to make Xenoblade Chronicles into the company's magnum opus. It was made to be an experiment"

http://xeno-underground.net/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=wiki:history_of_xeno_part04.htm.pdf

B.K.

a similar setting to Perfect Works Xenogears Ep 1 but toned down.

Not really. So far, all we've seen is Neo Los Angeles and an undeveloped world. It's nothing like the setting of Xenogears Episode I. Xenogears Episode I's setting was basically the same as Xenosaga. It took place in a huge galactic federation thousands of years after the destruction of Earth.

she's an incredible artist in her own right. I'd love to see her do full character design duties on a title one day.

I'm still a bit disappointed that her Titus 12 project never took off.

anaron

Not really. So far, all we've seen is Neo Los Angeles and an undeveloped world. It's nothing like the setting of Xenogears Episode I. Xenogears Episode I's setting was basically the same as Xenosaga. It took place in a huge galactic federation thousands of years after the destruction of Earth.

I'm still a bit disappointed that her Titus 12 project never took off.
same here

I still love these designs so much

UNmMeeO.jpg

MknJuL2.jpg

aPAaAJm.jpg

5WSe5P2.jpg

jmizzal

Its a shame IGN still has not posted an article on this from the ND, even gameinformer got an article up today, smh

Huge site like that need to be spreading the word

Saro

Would anyone be so kind as to make the new "X" symbol in avatar size pls. I will be ever grateful if someone can.:)

Zero²

But anyway, it would be good if someone had the entire article, quotes can be misleading.
Its even possible to find Nintendo Power stuff like this on the internet anymore?

raven777

shion.jpg

1's design was interesting but they tried to bring Tanaka's art into 3D and excution wasn't so great. 2's design they tried to change drastically to make it more realistic? but ended up really bad. 3 is somewhere in the middle of 1 and 2 and I think it was the best of the trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom