• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Direct Footage 11.5.2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJIzana

You will never come upon Gaur Plains again for the first times and be at a total loss as the music starts up and you're captivated by the montage of wildlife living on the plain itself.

I wonder if Sawano's OST can capture any moments as well as that did.

Just watch the Treehouse footage from E3. They give a good example when it shifts from rain to sunny weather during the beginning of the game, shortly after you meet Elma but I can't remember the music played. If you check it'll be there.

TheMoon

You will never come upon Gaur Plains again for the first times and be at a total loss as the music starts up and you're captivated by the montage of wildlife living on the plain itself.

I wonder if Sawano's OST can capture any moments as well as that did.

Have you not seen the Treehouse demo that had a scene exactly like that with amazing music? I'm usually in the "ugh wtf Sawano?" camp but that music set to the environmental sweep was just incredible.

ec0ec0

I actually felt like their promo materials spoiled most of 3D World. It was also my fault for following the game so damn closely.

You are definitelly exaggerating with the "most" :p

But i agree that, lately, nintendo has been a lot more open to show their games before release.

Still, they are not going to show you the best that one game has to offer before release (in theory :p)

Zero²

I wonder if we will get a weltall based mecha... That would be so awesome, and would be such a missed opportunity not to do it.

Golnei

You are definitelly exaggerating with the "most" :p

But i agree that, lately, nintendo has been a lot more open to show their games before release.

Still, they are not going to show you the best that one game has to offer before release (in theory :p)

All unlockables in the Smash games and two-thirds of Bayonetta 2 were under embargo for reviews and mostly absent from promotional material, so they might show similar restraint for Xenoblade. It's not like they'll need to show more than the first 10 hours to market it effectively
(I hope)

Bulzeeb

Ok, we're on an unfamiliar hostile alien planet and our little escape bubble of a city is down to 60% power and resources. Business as usual guys, keep doin' what you been doin'."
Kind of S.O.S Titanic here. Hope a feature in the game is some city management/expansion type stuff.

well if Colony 6 from XenoWii could have osme kind of city upgrades I guess they can implement something similar for XenoU

Time for some goodqualitygif™

iaxtwa.gif

pvepmy.gif

Jinkies

I am a little worried that character creation means we'll be missing out on strong characters ("strong" as in "strong plot") that the series is known for.

That is why I like Japanese RPGs more than Western ones, and singleplayer more than MMO. The characters aren't merely a total blank slate for your persona (even silent protagonists).

Blues1990

With regards to the character creation system, I hope I can create a cool or average looking character, rather than being forced to create a pretty boy or doughy eyed lass.

Kouriozan

If they only show New L.A. aera that might hint at traveling to other planets and don't want to spoil it, especially if you need to fight the "invaders".

Golnei

I am a little worried that character creation means we'll be missing out on strong characters ("strong" as in "strong plot") that the series is known for.

That is why I like Japanese RPGs more than Western ones, and singleplayer more than MMO. The characters aren't merely a total blank slate for your persona (even silent protagonists).

That doesn't really bother me all that much - the rest of the cast will be defined characters capable of having unique arcs and personalities, so making the lead a blank slate shouldn't detract from the game's narrative potential, especially since the plot will likely skew towards the high-concept and prioritise sci-fi/fantasy conceits, melodramatic twists and heavy-handed symbolism over characterisation. When the alternative would have most likely been a painfully flat protagonist intended to fill an avatar role anyway, I don't see how removing their voice and adding some visual customisation hurts the experience - though I could be biased, as I often prefer silent leads in RPGs over having to deal with generic hero figures who monopolise the narrative focus despite possessing very little qualities of interest.

That jump seems kinda crazy in town by houses(but it's cool as hell)

With the removal of fall damage, I'm probably going to spend a reasonable amount of time just jumping off things. Falling off the BLADE tower at night should feel fairly dramatic.

Akai

I just noticed these icons above the people in the gifs.

What is this? You can probably talk to them or get some quests.

Named NPCs that you can actually talk to (and the ones that will be part of the inevitable affinity chart)...

That jump seems kinda crazy in town by houses(but it's cool as hell)

It also implies a power-up or item of some sort, as the jump wasn't NEARLY that dramatic in the Treehouse demo...

Peltz

That doesn't really bother me all that much - the rest of the cast will be defined characters capable of having unique arcs and personalities, so making the lead a blank slate shouldn't detract from the game's narrative potential, especially since the plot will likely skew towards the high-concept and prioritise sci-fi/fantasy conceits, melodramatic twists and heavy-handed symbolism over characterisation. When the alternative would have most likely been a painfully flat protagonist intended to fill an avatar role anyway, I don't see how removing their voice and adding some visual customisation hurts the experience - though I could be biased, as I often prefer silent leads in RPGs over having to deal with generic hero figures who monopolise the narrative focus despite possessing very little qualities of interest.

With the removal of fall damage, I'm probably going to spend a reasonable amount of time just jumping off things. Falling off the BLADE tower at night should feel fairly dramatic.

Fall damage has been removed? Oh mannn....
Gameplay spoilers in Xenoblade Chronicles:
Jumping off high things into water was oddly fun
in XBC

Golnei

Fall damage has been removed? Oh mannn....
Gameplay spoilers in Xenoblade Chronicles:
Jumping off high things into water was oddly fun
in XBC

Consider what it could be replaced with now that we have larger seamless areas and no fall damage - something like jumping off
Agniratha
and landing on the Fallen Arm would be amazing.

Though if we do in fact have interplanetary travel, I hope they give us the option to float in the void of space in zero gravity outside a mech. Even if the characters just played their regular falling animation, it'd lend the game an even more tremendous sense of scope.

Jinkies

When the alternative would have most likely been a painfully flat protagonist intended to fill an avatar role anyway, I don't see how removing their voice and adding some visual customisation hurts the experience
Perhaps we just feel differently about the quality of the leads in prior Xeno titles. To me, Shion, Fei, and Shulk are some of the most memorable leads in the genre, and are uniquely indispensable to the greater narrative.

This reminds me of Crackdown, and I wonder if there will be a similar athletics progression curve. This part of Xenoblade was a lot of fun (jumping on/off of the environment), and I'm really happy such an emergent mechanic is being given its due.

Peltz

^gameplay spoilers, seriously? :D

Well yea...

First time I jumped off a cliff, it was after coming out of the either mine which is extremely high up... I thought there was no way the game's environments were so large that I could jump off the cliff and swim back to the colony. When I actually jumped and landed in the water that seamed so far down the mountain, I was shocked that the game rendered such large environments that you could seamlessly reach like that... it was one of the coolest early moments in the game which really showed why Xenoblade wasn't the typical JRPG.

With regards to the character creation system, I hope I can create a cool or average looking character, rather than being forced to create a pretty boy or doughy eyed lass.
Character creation seems pretty robust in this in terms of faces.
YRf13q0.png

From the demos we've seen (going clockwise) you can make the most generic middle aged white dude ever, The stereotypical hotblooded shonen hero, Yu Narukami from Persona 4, Space Rihanna, and a Rei Ayanami expy.

aravuus

Well yea...

First time I jumped off a cliff, it was after coming out of the either mine which is extremely high up... I thought there was no way the game's environments were so large that I could jump off the cliff and swim back to the colony. When I actually jumped and landed in the water that seamed so far down the mountain, I was shocked that the game rendered such large environments that you could seamlessly reach like that... it was one of the coolest early moments in the game which really showed why Xenoblade wasn't the typical JRPG.

The game tells you to jump off a cliff in the first hour though. It's hardly a spoiler at all. In any way.

Don't get me wrong: better tag em rather than spoil em, but after a certain line, it just gets annoying

YRf13q0.png

From the demos we've seen (going clockwise) you can make the most generic middle aged white dude ever, The stereotypical hotblooded shonen hero, Yu Narukami from Persona 4, Space Rihanna, and a Rei Ayanami expy.

I'm gonna roleplay as Yu and fuck all them bitches

Blues1990

YRf13q0.png

Okay, this makes me happy. I was hoping to create a Ellen Ripley or an Abbie Archer-type of character, so as long as the facial features in the character creation are as flexible, then I'm good to go.

Fencedude

I have a hard time believing you'll be in a party with only 2 females (possibly 3 if you pick a female lead) for a long period of time. It might start out that way but my guess is either a male joins shortly after or one of the females leaves the party for some reason or another maybe
horribly like
Xenoblade
, you never know

Question: would you say the same thing if the only two known party members were male? Would you assume something horrible was going to happen to one of them?

I'm going to guess, no. You wouldn't

Golnei

Question: would you say the same thing if the only two known party members were male? Would you assume something horrible was going to happen to one of them?

But that's not a bias on the user's part, but one perceived on that of the creator's. Xenoblade itself
had a female party member fridged
in the first few hours, and the industry as a whole loves nothing more than to kill or kidnap female characters to motivate male protagonists, so it's nowhere near an unfounded assumption.

rjinaz

Yes three males would be over kill as well and I would think the exact same thing. I actually prefer females in my party, so your guess is way off. And as the poster above me stated, it's not like them doing what I said
didn't just happen in their last game.

Edit: Actually giving it some more thought, I can totally see where you are coming from and how you could interpret what I was saying the way you did.
I'll say though that I play a lot of JRPGs, and usually they like to balance the parties out with half males half females (with exceptions of course like FFXV it seems). Xenoblade did this as well. It would definitely seem odd to me to have a party of three guys only and I wouldn't like it and I would assume one of them would be killed off or leave the party at some point.

ika

Zero²;137720290 said:
Well the way you talk makes it seem like Xenoblade itself wasnt over the top, which I dont really agree.
you are walking for the entire game on the dead body of two dead gods lol
Sure the plot is more simplistic, but that has more to do with Takeda influence on it, than anything else I'd say, since he used to write anime for all his life.
I remember reading a interview some time ago that Takahashi said that Xenoblade was only the beginning of what he planned, like it was only a test and barely what he had as the complete vision for his work. But fuck I cant find it now...

FOUND IT BABY :) Its on the Nintendo Power interview he did.

Yep, he said that xenoblade was only an experiment, not his company Magnum Opus, etc...

"...there are times when I want people to be more critical."
- Tetsuya Takahashi, Iwata Asks: In Conversation with Takahashi & Sakaguchi (2011)

"...in terms of my own personal goal--my vision of an ideal game--I'd honestly have to say that it's barely 5% of the way there."
- Tetsuya Takahashi, Interview with Tetsuya Takahashi (Nintendo Power, 2012)

"To be honest, there are times when I think I've atrophied as a writer since the Xenogears era."

"I often find myself thinking, 'One of these days, I'd love to free myself from these sorts of restraints and write whatever I truly want to write'"

"I couldn't figure out why they would care so much about a game like Xenoblade Chronicles when they had so many superior RPGs to choose from in the West."

" [I'm] grateful for the game's positive reputation, [but I and my team] didn't set out to make Xenoblade Chronicles into the company's magnum opus. It was made to be an experiment"

http://xeno-underground.net/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=wiki:history_of_xeno_part04.htm.pdf

Thank you for founding those! :D That's the interview where he said his writing was not the best ("atrophied" was the word) since Xenogears, and even if he wants to make something different and bigger than Xenoblade, those words doesn't seem to mean that he'll come back to his old style :) And yeah, when I said "over the top" and so on I was talking about the simplistic, more shounen plot, not that the two giant gods concept wasn't crazy enough (I love it).

Not really. So far, all we've seen is Neo Los Angeles and an undeveloped world. It's nothing like the setting of Xenogears Episode I. Xenogears Episode I's setting was basically the same as Xenosaga. It took place in a huge galactic federation thousands of years after the destruction of Earth.

Yes, but what I wanted to note is the similarities between the basic plot (exodus from earth) but toned down. When Perfect Works was published Xenosaga didn't exist to develop that episode. Obviously we don't know yet how they will develop the plot this time. Just remember the basic premise of Xenoblade (two dead titans, a war between humans and machines, a mysterious sword and
FIORAAAAAAAAAA
), and how the story developed and how it ended. So at this point, Xenoblade X could be anything beyond the premise of this exodus, the intergalactic war of those alien races, the Mira planet landing and the mysterious BLADE organization. I'm sorry if I can't explain myself better I need to practice more lol :$

Well, shounen stories aren't exactly something I'd call mature writing or whatever so I dunno, the comment you're referring to here also makes it sound like it's not going to be that similar to XB.

No, he was saying that his writing wasn't good enough before Xenoblade Chronicles, but he also said that Xenoblade is not good enough for him... (Zero² found the actual quotes) So we can hope XBX will be better than all his old projects, but not necessarily similar to any of them like some people were saying in this thread. I love Takahashi's old Xenogears craziness as I love all that kind of Evangelion craziness too (old fan of both) but I don't believe we're going to get something like that this time.

aravuus

Oh my

No, he was saying that his writing wasn't good enough before Xenoblade Chronicles, but he also said that Xenoblade is not good enough for him... (Zero² found the actual quotes) So we can hope XBX will be better than all his old projects, but not necessarily similar to any of them like some people were saying in this thread. I love Takahashi's old Xenogears craziness as I love all that kind of Evangelion craziness too (old fan of both) but I don't believe we're going to get something like that this time.

Hey, I was just replying to the "mature writing" part of your post. It seems like we're just arguing semantics here, though. We're not actually disagreeing, I never said XCX's (or whatever, what a mouthful) story was going to be like Gears' or Saga's, I said it's going to be unlike Blade's.

rjinaz

What I was really trying to say was that because of the fact that this game has a character creation, Monolith Soft will likely be more inclined to keep the party balanced, other wise you'll get the scenario of having a 3 females or 3 males only in a party which would seem off to me personally. I chose females as my example simply because that is what has been shown. Maybe I'm wrong though and if you choose a female main, you'll be in a party full of females. It's fine. I prefer balance but what it really comes down to is ability. In Xenoblade Melia was my main until the end of the game then it was Shulk, Dunban, and 7 because they rock at end game.

ika

Oh my

Hey, I was just replying to the "mature writing" part of your post. It seems like we're just arguing semantics here, though. We're not actually disagreeing, I never said XCX's (or whatever, what a mouthful) story was going to be like Gears' or Saga's, I said it's going to be unlike Blade's.

Sorry for the misunderstanding then ;)

rjinaz

The towns look really nice in the game, I just hope a lot of the buildings have fully fleshed interiors

Well in Xenoblade you didn't really go into many buildings. They were just background. I get the impression you won't be going into any of those houses anyway. I'm kind of fine with that. I'd rather explore the world than explore the insides of somebody's house.

Akai

What I was really trying to say was that because of the fact that this game has a character creation, Monolith Soft will likely be more inclined to keep the party balanced, other wise you'll get the scenario of having a 3 females or 3 males only in a party which would seem off to me personally. I chose females as my example simply because that is what has been shown. Maybe I'm wrong though and if you choose a female main, you'll be in a party full of females. It's fine. I prefer balance but what it really comes down to is ability. In Xenoblade Melia was my main until the end of the game then it was Shulk, Dunban, and 7 because they rock at end game.

It seems most likely that Elma and Rin will be your starters, shortly followed by Tatsu. Going off the story trailer, the last three characters are a blonde human woman, a Dunban-esque human male, and an alien species male. In regards to the order those are obtained, your guess is as good as mine...

That would balance the cast to three men, three women, and one male/female avatar of your choosing...

moolamb

YRf13q0.png

I seriously cannot wait to play as a strong female protagonist in a crazy mecha space opera. Anyone with me?

Fandangox

So is anyone going to attempt to make your MC look like Shulk or some other Xeno character?

I was originally thinking of doing Ralf from KOF, but after I saw that post with Pliskin from Escape From L.A I might try that, should be really funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom