• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X post game discussion [UNMARKED SPOILERS]

ivysaur12

Banned
It is? I hope so. I just need to keep my expectations in check.

It's clearly a franchise Nintendo is trying to cultivate, and XCX will do better than its predecessor on a worse platform. I would expect an NX sequel. I also don't think it would've ended that way if Takahashi felt as if the Mira story was complete.

Few things.

I am seeing a pretty big idea in my head that Mira is supposed to be the something like the Garden of Eden in a way but with a twist. Its beautiful, food is bountiful, people come together or in this case xenoforms. but you cannot leave, and for some, you cannot die. from what i know (only gone through the original XBC) monolith seem to enjoy exporing religious ideas and such in thir games and with the white whale being called an ark this makes sense to me.

on Lin, her character was just a representation of child innocence. she protects lao for instance despite rational thought because he means something to her whether be a friendship or father figure. lins character did well all around

tatsu can die. shouldve been eaten by the tainted

I enjoyed the story though I agree some affinity missions should have been mandatory or at least pushed heavily to you. Really wouldve enjoyed not having to fast travel to get new teammates, wouldve liked a menu system instead. the sequel better redesign the city, make it bigger (waaaay bigger). everything in there looked shoddy to me. the NPCs, vehicles, small districts, were my biggest gripe with this game

NeonZ

The ending of Yelv's affinity mission makes me think some of the Blade higher ups (Someone in contact with Eleonora) knew from the start that the Lifehold crashed and began testing with memories of mimeosomes since that somehow didn't get destroyed.

But that doesn't explain the second(?) Yelv

Well, the pets that you get (rather than the ones you rescue) are actually completely autonomous mimeosome copies and everyone knows about that, so the tech was there all the time, they just (apparently) hadn't used it in that way.

I'm done I was up all night playing so tried to read a few pages here

but I'll be back when I get some sleep

I need help with 2 things:

Who was the Great One Luxaar spoke of? I kept expecting being able to face him after the Luxaar fight but it did not work out that way

second where do I find Elma's chapter 12 suit? If I am going to run around in her true form need that suit

alex2004

Finished the game after 65h now - well, that is not completely true as I failed to beat Lao (2nd phase) consecutive times and I'm not willing to go back grinding. Overall, I really enjoyed exploring Mira and the flying experience was incredible!

I thought the story and, unfortunately, many game design decisions were rather poor though (e.g. letting you into certain missions even though totally under-leveled).

jgwhiteus

I just did Yelv's second affinity mission quest yesterday (after already beating Ch. 12)... could someone explain the ending to me?

So is the takeaway that Yelv is completely artificial, with implanted memories and personality, and he's a robot who didn't "really" exist back on earth? Is that why he seemed so casual about his partner losing limbs and thought that he could still be alive - because his partner was also a robot for whom limb loss wouldn't have been fatal, and Yelv just thought that's the way human bodies work?

Such a weird, creepy ending to that quest.

royox

Question, if before Ch12 you travel to the sea area where the LifeHold is supposed to be....is it there? And do the characters say anything?

R.D.Blax

Question, if before Ch12 you travel to the sea area where the LifeHold is supposed to be....is it there? And do the characters say anything?

When you find it the first time, you can see that the big ship is pulling the lifecore out the sea, so I doubt we can see it before this point

I checked that. If you go to the location the Lifehold Core is before chapter 12, nothing is there.
No sequence breaking the story.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I feel like the random references to Xenoblade might not be just references. Stuff like nopon mentioning a legendary Frontier Village, the telethia existing on the planet, the continuation of the Nopon tradition of having a heropon, etc. I feel like Mira might have some loose connection to the remade universe at the ending of the first game even if they denied any connection to the first game.

I thought it was weird that they put that reference of Tatsu calling the humans "Hom Hom" unconsciously in one of the cutscenes in between phases of the final boss. Did Tatsu say something similar in the original Japanese script?

jgwhiteus

I feel like the random references to Xenoblade might not be just references. Stuff like nopon mentioning a legendary Frontier Village, the telethia existing on the planet, the continuation of the Nopon tradition of having a heropon, etc. I feel like Mira might have some loose connection to the remade universe at the ending of the first game even if they denied any connection to the first game.

Yeah the feeling I got was that Mira might be a kind of Bermuda Triangle of a planet which pulls in different races from different galaxies to it like a black hole, including the Nopon from Xenoblade's galaxy... it kinda reminded me of the island from the TV show "Lost" (and I think someone mentioned the idea of purgatory in this thread, which was thrown around for Lost as well).

Also, this is random, but I'm thinking of doing a playthrough of Baten Kaitos, and one of the first places mentioned in that game is the location "Mira", where the main character is from. It's probably just a case of Monolith Soft accidentally reusing a fantasy location name from one of its earlier games (I don't even know if it was called "Mira" in the original Japanese version), but it was funny to hear. Also, this is the description of Mira from Baten Kaitos:

http://batenkaitos.wikia.com/wiki/Mira
"A long, long time ago, Mira was just another island floating in the Sky. But one day, a swirling whirlpool engulfed the land, and Mira fell into a dimensional rift. Mira was about to sink into an abyss so deep there was no hope of ever emerging again. It was then that a group of mysterious wizards appeared from the depths of the Earth. The wizards, calling themselves the Guardians, saved Mira somehow... ”

Mira (known as City of Illusion) is a island floating in the Sky and one of the Five Great Nations. Mira is known for its constant fluctuation between this dimension and another. This gives Mira its mysterious glow and the feeling of impermanence where things appear and disappear at will. The island can only be accessed from our dimension through the Trail of Souls."

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So xenoblade is an illusion of kaitos?

Wouldn't that be a fucking twist

It also explains pop in "things appear and disappear at will" take that you pop in haters

The lifehold from another ship had French and Japanese text which apparently nobody on New LA can decipher...guess they didn't bring any dictionaries. So much for all life. American culture only baby.

A few bits where I wish I had a replay or rewind so maybe someone else knows about them:

In the Nopon grave secret quest you find an ancient secret book and the lines read of out I think said something about journey accross the stars implying the Nopon arrived from space (or just being poetic).

There was also a bit Luxaar mentioned in a cutscene something about speculating that Mira could be the federation home planet.

For speculation stuff:

The planet Mira was named that due to honouring a woman instrumental in getting public backing for project exodus (it is mentioned in one of the short stories on the official site). That woman opted to stay on Earth. I wonder if that woman was really human i.e. is Elma was the only one her kind to travel to Earth and also was she the only one aboard the whale.

Was the mysterious hero piloting the Vita? In any case they seem to be a good candidature for mystery person in the ending. Speaking of which why does Lao randomly wash up ashore (given a chimera is in notolim I guess the primordial juice washed into the sea and split up or something) and more importantly how does he get to the lifehold core to start with (if he was rescued he would be locked up and if he could disable the shield why would Luxar need to use brute force). I'm wondering if there is more to Lao as well.

Cauldros and Oblivia have very clear signs of a previous civilisation(s?), did they die out on Mira or manage to leave of their own accord. I was hoping for something like the giants quest line in the first Xenoblade but so far nothing.

Wagram

Does anything happen after Elma's level 58 affinity quest with the two giant kitty cats? Don't feel like grinding to kill those two level 80 enemies. Done as far as i'm concerned.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I have a feeling there are no intelligent species that are truly native to Mira, not even the Nopon. Their weapon technology, as well as the previously mentioned legend of the Nopon travelling through the stars and the various Xenoblade references makes me think the Nopon are just another species that got trapped on Mira, only way before the events of the game.

Jolkien

I have a feeling there are no intelligent species that are truly native to Mira, not even the Nopon. Their weapon technology, as well as the previously mentioned legend of the Nopon travelling through the stars and the various Xenoblade references makes me think the Nopon are just another species that got trapped on Mira, only way before the events of the game.

That would mean the Nopons would be a space faring race.. kinda scary to think about that.

syoaran

Did the Elma affinity mission - no further answers given. Majorly bummed out that pretty much nothing outside of why Luxxar feared Humans was answered in this game. I really, REALLY hope that a sequel is on it's way, though like I mentioned in the other thread - I feel like its unlikely or at the very least a good 4 years away.

More I think about it, the more the lack of resolution has tainted my experience of XCX. Before I reached the ending, it was my game of the year and easily one of the best games out there on the market. Now, I feel like while I had a great time with it - it's sequel bait ending and lack of explanation about it's core story threads is complete bs. Similar feeling to when ME3 finished....

Jolkien

I feel the same. The ending REALLY soured me on the rest of the game. Because at that point I just ask myself what was the point. What's there is great but there's just like nothing.

Vena

Did the Elma affinity mission - no further answers given. Majorly bummed out that pretty much nothing outside of why Luxxar feared Humans was answered in this game. I really, REALLY hope that a sequel is on it's way, though like I mentioned in the other thread - I feel like its unlikely or at the very least a good 4 years away.

More I think about it, the more the lack of resolution has tainted my experience of XCX. Before I reached the ending, it was my game of the year and easily one of the best games out there on the market. Now, I feel like while I had a great time with it - it's sequel bait ending and lack of explanation about it's core story threads is complete bs. Similar feeling to when ME3 finished....

Depending on what answers you're looking for, they're usually not in affinity missions but in regular missions. There's several that go heavily into lore of the planet, the ruins, and such.

Was Luxaar was the true leader of the Ganglion?
He was referred to as Grand Master so would have been the head of something (I think that meaning makes more sense than highly skilled) but Grand master of a group of knights would still take orders from an emperor or king (e.g. the Zhou dynasty which had a King but the 3 senior civilian positions were Grand Master, Grand Tutor and Grand Protector).

syoaran

Depending on what answers you're looking for, they're usually not in affinity missions but in regular missions. There's several that go heavily into lore of the planet, the ruins, and such.

Really? I've clocked most of the normal missions as far as I'm aware, and none have gone into the race that created the ruins in Oblivia or Cauldros or who created the Xe'dom mechs, or explained how Mira does what it does or what it's purpose is. The giant machine that defines the landscape in Oblivia is like the elephant in the room

Normal missions have done a great job at explaining the new races that become part of NLA, but thats it as far as I'm aware.

Vena

Really? I've clocked most of the normal missions as far as I'm aware, and none have gone into the race that created the ruins in Oblivia or Cauldros or who created the Xe'dom mechs, or explained how Mira does what it does or what it's purpose is. The giant machine that defines the landscape in Oblivia is like the elephant in the room

Normal missions have done a great job at explaining the new races that become part of NLA, but thats it as far as I'm aware.

One thing I changed in my way of thinking was to face the lore/questions same way I did with Dark Souls. A lot of details are tucked away. Xe-Dom, Fal-Swo, and Or-Serv are loosely explained in their entries to the Enemy Index under "by Category" which actually offers a lot of flavor/lore to the various enemies and monsters you run into. As for their ultimate origins, it is unknown other than being from Mira but given the context of the non-controlled ones being guards of sorts, you can piece together what their purpose is or was. Or-Serv are just caretakers, the other two are land/air defenders. The trio were, seemingly, Mira's caretakers or immune system.

The Yggdrassil and Telethia have similarly enlightening summaries written about them. Most enemies do, in fact, that weren't or aren't immediately explained in story or cutscene.

There's a quest chain about the ruins in Oblivia (its a huge weapon, potentially). There's a LONG quest chain about the Orphe, Mira and the potential source of the planet's strange behavior (which we discussed a few pages back).

Cauldros is actually the only region that I find to be loosely explained at the moment since I haven't stumbled onto any quests about the ruins there.

R.D.Blax

One thing I changed in my way of thinking was to face the lore/questions same way I did with Dark Souls. A lot of details are tucked away. Xe-Dom, Fal-Swo, and Or-Serv are loosely explained in their entries to the Enemy Index under "by Category" which actually offers a lot of flavor/lore to the various enemies and monsters you run into. As for their ultimate origins, it is unknown other than being from Mira but given the context of the non-controlled ones being guards of sorts, you can piece together what their purpose is or was. Or-Serv are just caretakers, the other two are land/air defenders. The trio were, seemingly, Mira's caretakers or immune system.

The Yggdrassil and Telethia have similarly enlightening summaries written about them. Most enemies do, in fact, that weren't or aren't immediately explained in story or cutscene.

There's a quest chain about the ruins in Oblivia (its a huge weapon, potentially). There's a LONG quest chain about the Orphe, Mira and the potential source of the planet's strange behavior (which we discussed a few pages back).

Cauldros is actually the only region that I find to be loosely explained at the moment since I haven't stumbled onto any quests about the ruins there.

There is some quest about the ruin of Oblivia ? How do we get them ?

Vena

There is some quest about the ruin of Oblivia ? How do we get them ?

Perhaps saying "about the ruins" is a bad way of putting it. There's a quest chain what they are or believed to be, anyway.

But I honestly don't remember which of the hundreds of missions it was part of.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
That would mean the Nopons would be a space faring race.. kinda scary to think about that.

You do have to wonder why they have so much skill as merchants if there was (presumably) no other intelligent species on the planet for hundreds or even thousands of years. The Nopon are a space faring race of intergalactic merchants.

Anybody know if magazine augments have to be attached to your range weapon to work? My Ramjet has no slots, so if I can put it on my lightsaber and get the same effect then I'm golden.

JulianImp

Reposting from the OT:
So, I just finished the main story and it so, well... dull by itself.

Elma and Lin being forced on you for all story missions was really annoying, since they weren't even interesting characters after all. The part about Lin and Lao bonding with each other was nice, but it didn't get nearly enough screen time to actually make me care all that much about that anyway. The avatar not even mattering in the grand scheme of things was really weird, since it seemed pretty obvious that he/she was added far too late to actually give the avatar a part in the story.

Also, the twist about Elma turning out to be an alien also felt rushed as hell, since she went "oh, one more thing... I'm actually an alien" and nobody batted an eye. Lao turning into a monster was awfully predictable given his tragic character arc with Lin, but it also felt like the game was trying to tug at my heartstrings with two characters that weren't all that well written anyway, so I hadn't come to sympathize their pleas and the way they tried to play off of each other.

And don't even get me started with the whole the lifehold back-up had been destroyed all along, but mims continued to exist because... reasons. So the whole quest for the lifehold wasn't actually required anyway? Also, what was up with Lao waking up on a beach somewhere? Is it supposed to be some post-game quest or just a generic stinger for a possible sequel?

So, gameplay-wise X felt a lot better than the original Xenoblade, but the story was really weak and the way each characters' kits were built made them all feel same-y, as opposed to Shulk, Reyn, Dunban and the rest of the gang each having their own set of arts. It's funny that while Shulk felt boring due to how you couldn't even change his arts palette compared to his teammates, this game's MC is likely to end up with a ridiculously large pool of arts and skills to choose from while the rest of the team is stuck with a single weapon set's worth of arts and a single class' skills instead.

I still loved every single moment of it, except perhaps Lyn's Repair Job affintiy mission and how I got stuck in it for hours before I got enough mined items and managed to find out how I was supposed to get into Oblivia to pick up the items required for the quest.

On top of that, Tatsu referencing hom homs and breaking the fourth wall to smile at the camera was really weird. I still haven't delved too far into side missions to learn more about the setting and I agree that the ending was really boring, but luckily it didn't feel like absolute sequel bait like Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (that was the worst).

I kind of smiled when I saw attack drones were an available skell superweapon since it reminded me of Fiora... and now that reminded me about how every single character in your party used to have their own unique art unlike in X. Something that was particularily boring was how you wouldn't even gain access to overdrive until you were done with chapter 5 and had seen the "we were robots all along!" plot twist.

Haunted

oof, that post-credits scene is pretty bad storytelling form. Weak bait, feels very much like a midpoint reveal.

Generally, I very much enjoy the idea of the mimeosomes, their reveal was a genuine surprise at the end of chapter 5, raised the stakes to an acceptable level, fit in perfectly with the lore and addressed some of the weirdness about humanity's current situation. Great stuff.

I also liked the bit (though they already basically revealed that in chapter 11 already) about humanity living on as data/stored consciousness, very fitting sci-fi. Coincidentally, another game released this year, Soma, also explored this idea, though to a much deeper and more fully thought out, thoughtful degree. That said, this was perfectly fine. Also the reveal that Elma was an alien, heavily hinted at before and not coming as a surprise, but fair enough. (Though her alien design sucks, good that they give the choice to keep using the mimeosome).

What I didn't like was the whole bit about the protoplasmic fluid and that they were easily able to create new bodies (reversed again at the very end, but still) and that the final boss had to go all Resident Evil transformation on us. One of the weakest enemy designs in the whole game, which is not the note you want to end your game on.

The whole founders and failsafe thing being sprung on the player at the last minute is also bad and doesn't generally make much sense. Too much fake melodrama when there would've been much better ways to establish the antagonistic relationships between humans and ganglion without resorting to the completely tired and played out "ancient civilisation/forerunners legacy" trope, that even much better written sci-fi games like Mass Effect or Halo already explored thoroughly and subsequently ran into the ground.

I generally enjoy it when media manages to resist the temptation of the tried and true "humans are special" trope. That earth was destroyed because of it being in the crossfire of a larger galactic battle we didn't know much about is a great premise, that alien influence was responsible for helping us prepare for and escape this eventuality is good as well. I basically applaud anything that diminishes the role of the humans. That they completely fell into that trope towards the very end and humanity did actually turn out to be the descendants of the founders and super special and the key to everything was extremely disappointing for me.

And yeah, the post-credits scene is just bad from a storytelling perspective, I'm not opposed per se to setting up a sequel via an open ending, but basically diminishing and reverting the whole core crux of the plot and your achievements throughout the game like that is not a great way to end it or set up the sequel.

I also found it weird that they bring up the "everyone understands each other" thing specifically and mention how Mira is special without ever mentioning it again throughout the game... right up until the last minute.

The game and the world they built here is certainly huge enough to warrant a complete story told, a complete arc from beginning to end, and not just an episode 1. They could have easily done this while keeping it an open ending, but they chose not to. Disappointing!

The spoiler discussion should focus on the story, which is why I probably sound pretty negative right now, but those issues and some relatively minor design and UI gripes aside, the game itself is still really, really great and will definitely make an appearance in my goty top 10.

Haunted

I'll just post what I posted in the other thread, now without tags, on my supposition on Cross:
I don't dislike this idea of Cross being created by Mira as an avatar of the planet and executioner of its will (or programming if they want to go full Halo), though in that case they shouldn't have made Cross' body out to be a mimeosome.

With a couple tweaks here and there, that approach could've definitely worked.

edit: several people in this thread have compared Mira to the island from Lost. Seems like I should read that wiki page to know what you people are talking about. :lol

Haunted

I checked that. If you go to the location the Lifehold Core is before chapter 12, nothing is there.
No sequence breaking the story.
Though you can find the various pieces of the Lifehold archives in Primordia, Oblivia and Sylvanum before their respective missions send you to those places. Too bad the game isn't flexible enough to handle discovering them, no one says anything about that.

Pokemaniac

With the Samaarians having explicitly entered this universe (at the dawn of this universe, no less) from another, part of me wonders whether they may actually be the races from the first Xenoblade. That actually would make all of the humans descendants of the Homs, making Tatsu's "Hom Hom" comment correct.

Top Bottom