• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X post game discussion [UNMARKED SPOILERS]

Zenaku

I don't think it'd take much effort to update the existing landmasses. Replace the foliage textures/models with higher quality versions (which they'll likely make for the new continents anyway), and change the LOD settings to make it all look denser. Throw in new lighting and it'll look even better than it does, and the game already looks great.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I noticed that Elma calls Goetia a "Samaarian witch" in the cutscene before you fight her after she destroys one of the lifehold archive units. The Samaarian part completely went over my head the first time seeing that but could her squid people race be another descendant and if so, why would she be working for the Ganglion? She is the only one of her race we encounter so maybe she had a Lao-like betrayal situation going on? Whatever the case, it seems like Elma knew her from sometime before the game with the way she especially seems to hate her.

Vena

It should be noted that there's an entire race story also hidden in the missions. The Definian Downfall quest line takes care of the enigmatic race of shapeshifting women.

Doesn't the bestiary say that Yggraliths are some species of traveling interstellar world destroyers?

Oh if it does, then its even better. Since Telethia is the protector of Mira and its denizens.

(I still think its silly that we can actually kill it, lol.)

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I don't think it'd take much effort to update the existing landmasses. Replace the foliage textures/models with higher quality versions (which they'll likely make for the new continents anyway), and change the LOD settings to make it all look denser. Throw in new lighting and it'll look even better than it does, and the game already looks great.

That really depends on NX specs and Monolith's vision of the next game. It may not be as simple as a remaster. They would want the graphics to match the "hypothetical" new continents down to the details. Either way this is all just speculations. It's up to the direction Takahashi is taking on the sequel.

Doesn't the bestiary say that Yggraliths are some species of traveling interstellar world destroyers?

Oh if it does, then its even better. Since Telethia is the protector of Mira and its denizens.

(I still think its silly that we can actually kill it, lol.)

Then that means the Telethia was dragged over to Mira too ><

I noticed that Elma calls Goetia a "Samaarian witch" in the cutscene before you fight her after she destroys one of the lifehold archive units. The Samaarian part completely went over my head the first time seeing that but could her squid people race be another descendant and if so, why would she be working for the Ganglion? She is the only one of her race we encounter so maybe she had a Lao-like betrayal situation going on? Whatever the case, it seems like Elma knew her from sometime before the game with the way she especially seems to hate her.
The Samaarians seem a bit vague themselves. They're some interestellar organization that controls the majority of space, created the Ganglion, created Humanity, and also maybe created the Zaruboggans after they wrecked their own planet. But none of the NPCs speak especially negatively of them? It's kinda unclear what their role in space politics are. The Ganglion are said to be one of their branches, but what exactly does that mean?

It should be noted that there's an entire race story also hidden in the missions. The Definian Downfall quest line takes care of the enigmatic race of shapeshifting women.
Every alien race's history, except for the ma-non, Elma, and Celica (but not Rock), is fully explored in side quests. It's great.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I noticed that Elma calls Goetia a "Samaarian witch" in the cutscene before you fight her after she destroys one of the lifehold archive units.

Huh? Are you sure? That wouldn't make sense since the reason Luxaar wants to kill off humans is due to them being descendants of Samaarian.

I didn't notice it during my replay. I finished that chapter 2 days ago too...

Shahadan

Huh? Are you sure? That wouldn't make sense since the reason Luxaar wants to kill off humans is due to them being descendants of Samaarian.

The Ma-non also refers to the samaar federation as a present and big thing. The Ganglion has probably taken over but the name is still there.

Wichu

I didn't notice it during my replay. I finished that chapter 2 days ago too...

It happens in Chapter 7, before the Almandal fight.

Vena

The Ma-non also refers to the samaar federation as a present and big thing. The Ganglion has probably taken over but the name is still there.

I have a suspicion that the Ma-non are from the distant, distant past. There is no way the Ma-non in their full might would ever be beholden to the Ganglion, they outstrip them by leagues in terms of technology and fire power.

Every alien race's history, except for the ma-non, Elma, and Celica (but not Rock), is fully explored in side quests. It's great.

Elma's stuff/past is explored loosely in reference through the story and affinity missions. We know her race, we know she had a good male (I don't know if this changes with Cross's gender) friend whom I now assume was the other pilot of the Ares 70.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I have a suspicion that the Ma-non are from the distant, distant past. There is no way the Ma-non in their full might would ever be beholden to the Ganglion, they outstrip them by leagues in terms of technology and fire power.

Keep in mind, the Ma-non hates making weapons ^^. That may be why.

Shahadan

I thought about that actually, but the ma-nons often say the'yre not warriors and a side quest had one basically saying they have no interest in weapons, just engineering.
Also they could exagerate their competence, I wouldn't be really shocked :p

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Yes, and they are also incredibly stupid and gullible. That said, I don't quite recall but until their arrival on Mira, I don't think they had anything to do with the Ganglion.

Based on Chapter 5, this should be true. Not sure if they encountered each other outside of Mira though.

Shahadan

Yes, and they are also incredibly stupid and gullible. That said, I don't quite recall but until their arrival on Mira, I don't think they had anything to do with the Ganglion.

I might be wrong but I remember them saying they were the best in the whole samaar federation and that the ganglion would have loved to seize their technology. This is really confusing and we won't know for years :lol:

Fandangox

The ending of Yelv's affinity mission makes me think some of the Blade higher ups (Someone in contact with Eleonora) knew from the start that the Lifehold crashed and began testing with memories of mimeosomes since that somehow didn't get destroyed.

But that doesn't explain the second(?) Yelv

Shahadan

Also what about Nagi and his uber mode/blue aura/energy? Was it just mimeosome overclocking or is he something else?

The fact that Elma went apparently to him first and convinced him made it sound like there was a lot more to his story.

Vena

Based on Chapter 5, this should be true. Not sure if they encountered each other outside of Mira though.

That'd be surprising. I recall them only ever discussing the Samaarian Federation as a present entity, which would seem to go against the timeline of Humans and Ganglion.

If the Samaarian Federation was just a blanket term that included the now-Ganglion alliance, then it wouldn't make much sense for the Ganglion to be so in need of Ma-non tech. Unless the whole Federation were a shambled mess of sects.

Shahadan

That'd be surprising. I recall them only ever discussing the Samaarian Federation as a present entity, which would seem to go against the timeline of Humans and Ganglion.

If the Samaarian Federation was just a blanket term that included the now-Ganglion alliance, then it wouldn't make much sense for the Ganglion to be so in need of Ma-non tech. Unless the whole Federation were a shambled mess of sects.
Ma-nons are also the only ones besides luxaar and his underling (what happened to him btw?) to talk about the time field around Mira. Maybe they're indeed from the past, but wouldn't their tech be obsolete then?

I guess the ganglion as a race wiped out the samaarians (maybe the Great One was their hero, the one who did it with his super skell?) but are still only one of the forces in the federation rather than the governing body? We still don't know what was the other alien race in the battle for earth either.

That really depends on NX specs and Monolith's vision of the next game. It may not be as simple as a remaster. They would want the graphics to match the "hypothetical" new continents down to the details. Either way this is all just speculations. It's up to the direction Takahashi is taking on the sequel.

A simple remaster likely wouldn't involve Monolith Soft, similar to how Xenoblade 3D was handled. I don't think what Takahashi is working on will reuse much from this game, even if it is a sequel.

That said, there might be less incentive for Nintendo to make a remaster compared to Xenoblade 3D... unless they make another portable version for the next system.

jgwhiteus

Just finished Chapter 12 and did some post-game missions... I agree with a lot that's been said in this thread regarding the story and presentation. The basic concept and ideas of the story I like (I think the Ganglion's motivation makes sense and isn't terribly convoluted - which is a strong point for an RPG! - and the theme of humans freely mucking about with the natural order and creating beings to serve them is a good one and worth exploring).

The presentation definitely suffered with the way the game was structured, and I agree with earlier posters that in many ways this game felt experimental or like a really massive concept demo rather than a polished, finished product. I don't like it when games overexplain plot points and prefer it when they leave a bit of mystery (I thought one of Xenosaga 3's weaker points was that it was so explicit in its plot that you had to roll your eyes when everything was spelled out and you realized how silly the entire premise was), but here it went beyond being "mysterious" to just feeling "incomplete".

That being said - I sunk a ridiculous amount of time into this game, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the customization options for the battle system, gear, and skells, even if the UI elements could have been handled much, much better. I loved that you're rewarded for customizing strong builds and thinking about how the various combat mechanics work together, and that even when you've maxed your level there are still enemies who can easily crush you unless you equip yourself well and stay on your toes.

I don't know if I necessarily need a direct sequel to this, and am kinda okay leaving Mira's mysteries unexplained (or maybe explained in other media, like a "Perfect Works" that showcases art concepts and story points) - but I'm definitely looking forward to whatever Monolith Soft puts out next.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
A simple remaster likely wouldn't involve Monolith Soft, similar to how Xenoblade 3D was handled. I don't think what Takahashi is working on will reuse much from this game, even if it is a sequel.

That said, there might be less incentive for Nintendo to make a remaster compared to Xenoblade 3D... unless they make another portable version for the next system.

We were discussing re-mastering the five continent to include it in the sequel, which will be on NX.

I think it's possible to include this location. But personally I think it will take place at a different continent.

edit: I guess re-master is not the correct term to use

R.D.Blax

I think the Manon can really be from the past. I remember them refering as a small criminal organization within the Samar Federation. And we know the Ganglion where created just to do the dirty work of the Samarian, so maybe the Manon where just there at the beginning of the Ganglion, and disappeared afterward

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I think the Manon can really be from the past. I remember them refering as a small criminal organization within the Samar Federation. And we know the Ganglion where created just to do the dirty work of the Samarian, so maybe the Manon where just there at the beginning of the Ganglion, and disappeared afterward

Well, we have Prof. B who came from the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Ma-non indeed come from the past. Although Prof. B does seem to know that Ma-non assistant of his (history wise). I don't want to get into a time paradox discussion here though >.>

Shahadan

The ship crashing, Earth being lost, Elma kos-mos, the lifehold units/zohars, etc and how elma repeats "reboot" at the end...and "this story never ends".
Maybe it's more than references and it's a reboot/reimagining of Takahashi's work. Probably smaller in scale since I guess he's learned his lesson.

I'm curious. To me it definitely felt like the groundwork of something that will be continued, and it recycled many of his themes. There's too much similar shit in this to be just a nod.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
The ship crashing, Earth being lost, Elma kos-mos, the lifehold units/zohars, etc and how elma repeats "reboot" at the end...and "this story never ends".
Maybe it's more than references and it's a reboot/reimagining of Takahashi's work. Probably smaller in scale since I guess he's learned his lesson.

I'm curious. To me it definitely felt like the groundwork of something that will be continued, and it recycled many of his themes. There's too much similar shit in this to be just a nod.

Way too similar. I noticed that the lifehold unit that got destroyed is no. 7 - 9 (may be wrong on the numbering). Wouldn't surprise me if there is 12 in total, with the one in the lifehold core being the "original", making a total of 13 units.

Way too similar. I noticed that the lifehold unit that got destroyed is no. 7 - 9 (may be wrong on the numbering). Wouldn't surprise me if there is 12 in total, with the one in the lifehold core being the "original", making a total of 13 units.

Those lifehold units were originally attached to the core itself. If you go back to the core and look at its sides towards the bottom, you'll see a bunch of them attached to the building.

R.D.Blax

We can see the total of lifehold unit attached to the core, and there is more than 12 unit

I went back to watch the launch trailer that supposedly had major spoilers and even now I don't see them. What were people freaking out about?

Also when that does scene with the skell taking out the purple aliens (at around 2:30) happen in the game?
2:30 is doug flying
2:35 (your question) is the opening cutscene "a lone hero saved us all then disappeared"

Finished XCX yesterday and it left me kind of disappointed, especially since I enjoyed Xenoblade 1 so much. Don't really want to post a rant, cause it's still a good game, it was just lacking the magic or soul or whatever that Xenoblade 1 had. Kind of a MGS V situation. There I said it.... sorry.

One thing that really hurt my immersion was when I found two locations that had parts of the lifehold a few hours into the game by simply exploring. However, nothing happened and my character could not interact with it at all. Since the early story focuses so much about going out and finding those parts, I was expecting at least some kind of reaction, but nope. It was basically the game telling me I shouldn't be here yet. Apparently, it's part of a quest or affinity mission, but that still felt kind of weird.

One short (& probably stupid) question about the story. So, Elma went to earth and shared her knowledge and technology with the humans, including the concept of the white whale and mimeosomes. Wouldn't it have been wiser for the humans to directly face the Ganglions, if they are apparently so weak against human DNA? Didn't Elma know this? Why basically risk extinction and produce mims instead? Thx. Good thread btw.

Wichu

One short (& probably stupid) question about the story. So, Elma went to earth and shared her knowledge and technology with the humans, including the concept of the white whale and mimeosomes. Wouldn't it have been wiser for the humans to directly face the Ganglions, if they are apparently so weak against human DNA? Didn't Elma know this? Why basically risk extinction and produce mims instead? Thx. Good thread btw.
In the Earth attack, only one of the forces was Ganglion, and even then it was solely a ship/Skell force so humans wouldn't have been able to touch them.

Nobody was expecting the Ganglion to follow the White Whale, so they thought human bodies weren't needed.

Zenaku

The Japanese script calls her "Samaaru no banzoku", or "Samaarians savage tribe". It's also implied that she's at risk of the failsafe, so she's likely just another species created by the Samaarians (like Luxaar), and not Samaarian herself.

R.D.Blax

I was under the impression she only knew that humanity risked extinction, but not by what or when it would happen. Considering how she was willing to share her technology and she even lived and fought with humanity for 30 years, I doubt she would hide this sort information

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Good thing I never saw this trailer before now, I cant believe they spoil elma at the end.

I actually thought they spoiled Kos-mos lol. Well in a way, that surprised me, cause I was seriously expecting Kos-mos to appear the whole entire game. Even thought that Elma may be Kos-mos. I kind of spoiled myself originally right after Japanese release, but all I saw was Elma's true form working on the console. Didn't really see the face so her clothes and hair was the one that stood out most. Note to self avoid even the youtube video's thumbnail.

royox

Finished it!

My gosh the last battle was intense. When that "lao" thing was near 5% he started charging an attack that can one shot the whole party. I hid myself inside my skell (only skell remaining) and used my big-as-fuck sword skill while screaming "NO YOU WON'T!!!!" and he died from that hit.

MY GOSH.

BTW....CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

KarmaCow

2:30 is doug flying
2:35 (your question) is the opening cutscene "a lone hero saved us all then disappeared"

Ah right, I was half paying attention during the beginning.

Good thing I never saw this trailer before now, I cant believe they spoil elma at the end.

It's a nice moment but really not that revelatory. That said, I was kinda convinced she was actually Alvis from the first game.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Sounds better with the way he speaks, probably.
Well there goes the multi mined personality L

Thanks a lot you cruel thing of a human being .

Right before a holiday too..
----

Do we know anything about "the great one"?

Top Bottom