• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X post game discussion [UNMARKED SPOILERS]

Chaos17

Man-non did said that Ganglion is controling half of the galaxy, no ?
Also, we've yet to see other cities because we met so many aliens races and yet didn't visited their homeland.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Man-non did said that Ganglion is controling half of the galaxy, no ?
Also, we've yet to see other cities because we met so many aliens races and yet didn't visited their homeland.

If by homeland you mean where they create settlements on Mira, then yes I agree since they cannot leave Mira. As I mentioned earlier in the board, Takahashi and team set out to create a planet, but monolith never said these 5 continents is the whole entirety of Mira. The planet itself can be super huge.

So basically, this game's story is far from over. They left way too many things open for a sequel.

They probably left it out in purpose. This was not mentioned at all in the Luxaar's cutscene. All I remember is, Luxaar was prepared to die for riding the Vita. Of course we may get hints from one of the many normal missions that's available..

Maybe it'll come up in the sequel.. who knows. Well, I hope there IS a sequel since they left the game in such a state of so many questions and no answers.

Upon reflection, I don't dislike the story as much as I did last night, but I think what bugs me is like someone else said... it feels like more of a prologue/Chapter 1 and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Xenoblade for the Wii had a nice, concise and conclusive story/ending... Loved that game's ending sooo much. But this... eh, it wasn't very satisfying (minus seeing Elma's awesome true form).

Very conflicted about the game as a whole. Lots to love, lots of weird design decisions... incomplete narrative. Not really sure what was going on in development.

It would be really interesting if X was indeed connected to Xenoblade Chronicles, but I still think they are entirely unrelated. There's lots of references, sure... a line about Frontier Village, "hom homs" in the final part of the game.. Monado in the hair.. but those are still just winks/nods I feel. I could be dead wrong and the "Cross" in the title actually means it will cross with the original, but again, I doubt it. When the game was first revealed, I had a huge hope it was a direct sequel (even though that game doesn't really need one).

KarmaCow

I went back to watch the launch trailer that supposedly had major spoilers and even now I don't see them. What were people freaking out about?

Also when that does scene with the skell taking out the purple aliens (at around 2:30) happen in the game?

Parfait

Well if you sound out L's name in Japanese it'd probably be エル. Which is e ru. If you turn your screen sideways, e ru looks like

め
ラ

Which says meh ra

Aka

Mira

He also likes to devour human data. LIKE THE HUMANS PERSONALITY DATABASES?!?

Dundundun~

OF6irVh.gif

I knew there was a reason I only saw one of that dude

I went back to watch the launch trailer that supposedly had major spoilers and even now I don't see them. What were people freaking out about?

Also when that does scene with the skell taking out the purple aliens (at around 2:30) happen in the game?

Well, it kind of does show Elma shutting off her Mim during the ending. Of course, without context, you probably wouldn't know. But... it could give you an idea that she is a robot/machine of some kind based on how the eyes "shut off".

Neoweee

Done.

Great game, but the multitude of poor gameplay decisions hurt the replayability or urge to go through most of the Affinity missions. There's a handful of Normal Mission chains I'll go through before putting it away, at least.

I know they cut corners to save resources for what they believed matter more, but there's so many issues with cutscenes and dialogue speeds, etc. that I honestly can't imagine the developers played through the Mass Effect series or other recent RPGs. Being able to skip/speedup dialogue in cutscenes is really, really important.

NeonZ

Yeah. There needs to be a direct sequel to answer the questions they set up but then you also run into the issue of it being in the same world. Other franchises handle that by letting you loose in just a region or certain areas but this game lets you explore the whole world (unless this is just one continent of Mira). If it is just one continent and there is another across the sea then there is the issue of how that would work in the story. Would they set up another city? Would it just be a small team exploring it? Would they bring another ark down?

A direct sequel could involve a team from New LA somehow going to another world - or even replacing "different continents" with "different worlds". They set up a larger universe outside of the planet, after all, with the Ganglion controlling half of a galaxy. I doubt the forces dragged to that planet were really such a large part of them.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they do end up tying this back to XC's ending and this is the world Shulk created, with Mira being the planet the bionis and mechonis inhabitants ended up on. Since humans are descendants of the Samaarians, it's very likely earth wasn't their original home, so it's possible they were indeed actually homs descendants. It would also explain all the xenoblade references the nopon give, such as the heropon who slayed a god, the sword of legendaryness being the monado, Riki mentioning the legendary frontier village and calling humans hom homs at one point. Plus the telethia

One of the collectibles is a statue of Mechonis and Bionis too... If they do actually tie up their connections though, it means that Shulk pretty much failed at his objective at the end of Xenoblade. Still, I got the impression from the original Xenoblade that Shulk hadn't only recreated that one world, but actually the entire universe - so, if something from the past universe survived in Mira,it could explain why the Noppon have some knowledge of the previous universe, even if the events of the original Xenoblade didn't actually happen in that planet. It'd also explain why there aren't humans native to Mira, who should exist if it were the actual "planet" seen at the end of Xenoblade.

Zomba13

Well it does spoil some of the races and characters you can recruit. And thta bit where it shows Elma is an alien. Like, it's her voice talking and then this alien coming out of a pod. That's a pretty big spoiler.

Also, a question on something in the trailer, when does Nagi go badass with his katana on some aliens? I don't remember that happening. Is it in an affinity mission after you recruit him?

A direct sequel could involve a team from New LA somehow going to another world - or even replacing "different continents" with "different worlds". They set up a larger universe outside of the planet, after all, with the Ganglion controlling half of a galaxy. I doubt the forces dragged to that planet were really such a large part of them..

True, but the game also made a big point about Mira being "special" in some way. It seems to draw people/aliens to the planet and then they can't leave. Plus that whole thing about understanding other species languages without any form of machine or knowing how they speak. Elma mentioned Mira being special multiple times, so I doubt we're done with that planet. Who knows for sure, though.

KarmaCow

Well it does spoil some of the races and characters you can recruit. And thta bit where it shows Elma is an alien. Like, it's her voice talking and then this alien coming out of a pod. That's a pretty big spoiler.

Also, a question on something in the trailer, when does Nagi go badass with his katana on some aliens? I don't remember that happening. Is it in an affinity mission after you recruit him?

Oh wow I never actually watched past the part where they showed off the different versions because I just thought it was release date info and what not. Yea that is a weird decision to add it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Maybe another game would take place outside of Mira, but they make a pretty big deal that you cannot leave Mira. I'd assume any continuation of the game would be on a different part of the planet.

Oh wow I never actually watched past the part where they showed off the different versions because I just thought it was release date info and what not. Yea that is a weird decision to add it.

lol I stopped the video when the release date stuff popped up, too... I didn't even realize they showed THAT... wow, that's such a weird thing to show. o_O That's like the best "twist" in the game (that and I guess Chapter 5). Glad I didn't watch that trailer now.

Zomba13

lol I stopped the video when the release date stuff popped up, too... I didn't even realize they showed THAT... wow, that's such a weird thing to show. o_O That's like the best "twist" in the game (that and I guess Chapter 5). Glad I didn't watch that trailer now.

Yeah. Super weird to put that in. The different aliens and locations I get, you want to show off things in a "oooh look at all that" way and they don't show what exactly the races do or what they are like. The story stuff is mostly out of context apart from the whole "they want to kill us super badly" when the intro makes it out to be Earth caught in the crossfire between two races. But the Elma thing is a super big spoiler. Like, from playing you can tell there is something up with Elma, that she isn't being entirely honest and is hiding something but being an alien is a big twist. And it's not even "here is a random alien in a pod with no context", they have Elma voice over saying she hasn't died while showing that!

Super glad I didn't watch it before playing.

Jolkien

They really should've made a basic mission or something to ease the affinity grind. At the speed it's taken I'm not sure I wanna go bakc and finish grinding all my character to max affinity, there's so many of them.

Vena

They really should've made a basic mission or something to ease the affinity grind. At the speed it's taken I'm not sure I wanna go bakc and finish grinding all my character to max affinity, there's so many of them.

They did.

alvis.exe

Well that's helpful lol

There's a post-game mission that can be grinded for easy affinity? Cause if so, great, I might actually end up playing all the affinity missions then

Note that I haven't actually tried it out myself, but from what I understand it's under the "Support Missions" in the online terminal. Heard that it's reaalllly quick to max affinity (for 3 characters at once even!) by using it and it's a large part of why I decided to finish the story early on so I could get to all the Affinity missions faster haha.

Vena

Well that's helpful lol

There's a post-game mission that can be grinded for easy affinity? Cause if so, great, I might actually end up playing all the affinity missions then

What mission ? I checked the mission board after I was done and didn't see anything of the sort.

Go to your terminal for Support Missions. You can get Miranium, money, or affinity.

I don't know if it's addressed in an affinity quest or a normal mission. I'm kinda fed up on the affinity grinding so I'll miss a few cut-scene. If they push the story further in those it's really poor form to continue where you main story left off gating it behind time sink requirement.

To be honest, I would absolutely love it if they locked more of that story behind affinity quests, but I'm not particularly optimistic about that. I hope I'm wrong.

Specifically, it's Money and Miranium, Affinity and Blade Points, BP and something else

BP and EXP.

Do Elma's affinity missions go into anything related to her being an alien? I saw one unlocked after I beat the game that required level 58 I think.

Chaos17

Affinity ain't really a problem if you rotate regulary your members while doing normal missions. Jut take the responsability that you didn't wanted to do it and keep your favorte characters without complaining, imo.

Though, I will accept that not making some party members obligatory for story would be normal and have a share exp system.

aravuus

Jut take the responsability that you didn't wanted to do it and keep your favorte characters without complaining, imo.

The hell is this supposed to mean?

Of course it's a problem, it's a terrible system, its literally only function is to lock people out of affinity quests, forcing them to grind. It's not fun, it's not meaningful.

Vena

The hell is this supposed to mean?

Of course it's a problem, it's a terrible system, its literally only function is to lock people out of affinity quests, forcing them to grind. It's not fun, it's not meaningful.

There's really no reason to grind them, honestly. Pick your favorite characters (L, Murderess/Lin, and alienElma) and take them through the story/regular missions as you go. Post-game you can do all the affinity missions incredibly easily.

You'll hit a grind wall if you try to do it before end-game, same with the 50-Frames. Post-game its all super easy to get.

Ares-90 and 60-Frames/Super Weapons are the real grind. (Or, if you're like me, grinding Joker/Caesar for perfect weapon drops for Ground Gear, which you'll near never use.) Of course, the Ares-90 and 60-Frames are all game-breaking and are there for sheer lulz or the extreme super-bosses (is there anything the Ares-90 can't solo?).

aravuus

There's really no reason to grind them, honestly. Pick your favorite characters (L, Murderess/Lin, and alienElma) and take them through the story/regular missions as you go. Post-game you can do all the affinity missions incredibly easily.

You'll hit a grind wall if you try to do it before end-game, same with the 50-Frames. Post-game its all super easy to get.

Yeah, which is something most people won't know! That's the thing. I spent hours grinding affinity cause I wanted to do many of the affinity missions BEFORE finishing the main story and I had no idea there was a better way AFTER it. Of course it wasn't all voluntary, I had to grind 3-4 hours with Lao and Gwin alone to get their affinity high enough to continue the main story. Didn't have any normal missions to do with either, just the generic shit.

Doing them in-between main missions makes more sense pace-wise, too. Like some people have said, the story's like an anime season, main missions proceed with the plot, affinity missions flesh out the world and the characters. Doesn't make much sense to do that after the plot has ended.

It's hilarious that they have a mission that lets you raise your affinity to high levels without grinding. It's like a roundabout way of admitting that if you want to do a lot of affinity missions during the main game, you're in for a fuckload of grinding.

e: maybe it should be included in the OT's OP. "Affinity raising is easy post-game, so don't spend too much time grinding affinity during main game if you want to do all affinity missions"

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Doing them in-between main missions makes more sense pace-wise, too. Like some people have said, the story's like an anime season, main missions proceed with the plot, affinity missions flesh out the world and the characters. Doesn't make much sense to do that after the plot has ended.

Agreed. I prefer to complete them before finishing story mission myself, but that grind....

Zenaku

The mission that lets you raise affinity came with the DLC in Japan; it's meant to save time, and wasn't intended for normal play.

The game's structured in a way that lets you play at your own pace. While plenty of RPGs force you to put off the main story to do silly and unrelated quests (for character building) even when the world's in danger, X let's you choose. Play the main story if you want to see what happens next. Like a character, and want to learn more about them? Do their affinity quests.

Affinity can also be harder to raise if you don't make it easy for yourself. Make sure the MC's arts and soul voices match up with the arts of the character you want to raise affinity for, or for all characters if you want to do several at once. If you can get Soul Stage up and aren't having trouble with the enemies, pull more enemies into battle to increase Soul Voice opportunities.

Anyway, the new Secret Files has had its amazon.jp page updated with the cover, which confirms the book will include "material not found in-game" and a short story.

Semajer

Finished the game a little while ago. I enjoyed it, but it had way more problems than Xenoblade.

I liked what little story there was, but the way that it was presented was awful. I think that the story and pacing would have been hugely improved if the affinity missions, some of the larger normal missions, and the story missions were mandatory and persistent throughout the course of the game. Some characters introduced in the story chapters, like the Wrothians, should have had a larger part in the story. After beating them in that story chapter I didn't see them again for another 40 hours or so because I was trapped in another story chapter.

I thought the minor villains were pretty poor with no explanation, and virtually no acknowledgement when you beat some of them. I had completely forgotten that I'd beaten Goetia about two hours after killing her. I only remembered when I was looking through the enemy encyclopaedia. The two that piloted the Zu Pharg could have used some expanding upon. I don't even know the races of any of them.

I think I preferred the gameplay from Xenoblade to X. Mainly because of the simplified healing. X relied far too heavily on pressing b at the right time, which I hated. There were too many playable characters, which wouldn't have been a problem if they all got experience at the same time as you did, and could be selected for your team from the active members menu after recruitment. It was sad not having characters from other species. It would have been nice to have unique classes and skells for each species in the game.

I didn't like the inclusion of skell fuel, or having to return to the sodding barracks each and every time some nasty monster wrecked me before I had a chance to react. I think it would have been better just to have the skell respawn along with you after fights, or have fuel used only in fights to reduce the cooldown of moves. I thought there were far too many hostile enemies in the game. It wasn't a problem for the first three continents, but I spent more time running from, and getting one-shotted by, enemies than enjoying exploring in the final two. This was particularly annoying with no easy way to leave combat. It was made even worse when strolling along in a skell and having a team mate step on an enemy.

The exploration (apart from having too many hostile monster) was stellar. The world is huge, but never dull. I preferred going around on foot, but by the time I was really able to explore the final two continents I had the flying skell, which meant I could avoid the overly hostile enemies easier, but at the expense of the exploration.

There had better be a sequel to explain the unanswered parts of the story. I'd like if the next game involved one of the ships that had people in stasis (assuming that wasn't a lie). It would be nice to see them using and abusing the genetic modification ability that the lifehold was capable of, maybe with some tension or fighting with the White Whale survivors.

Is it explained anywhere if the conciousness of the humans when they were scanned into the lifehold was seemless? Were the minds of the humans literally moved into the lifehold and then the mims, or was it just a copy taken?

Does anyone know if there is a way to use no armour in the fashion menu? I'd like to keep some of the headgear removed, but I've yet to find a way to do so.

Vena

Is it explained anywhere if the conciousness of the humans when they were scanned into the lifehold was seemless? Were the minds of the humans literally moved into the lifehold and then the mims, or was it just a copy taken?

They were copied.

Doug nearly has a mental breakdown from that fact at the end. The real them are all dead unless you believe (as Elma said) in the idea of a soul (which is seemingly supported in-universe by Mira keeping them alive without their bodies/framework of the Lifehold). There should be nothing in their mims as they weren't designed to hold a person's cloned consciousness or memories, they were always meant to be hooked up the Lifehold.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use no armour in the fashion menu? I'd like to keep some of the headgear removed, but I've yet to find a way to do so.

Not that I am aware of, but there are a few "nearly invisible" items for headgear. I just use those.

This whole chapter 12 was the worst thing I've ever experienced.

It went from cheesy as fuck, to horribly written twist, to ridiculous boss battles, to losing your fucking skells if you didn't realize you can't recover them and you had to do like 4 boss battles at a time, and then the final boss battle as a FINAL fuck you makes your skell lose all of its fuel because you know it didn't need more of a middle finger if you were able to make your skells survive all of that bullshit. And then the final boss would be fine at level 50 and fighting him at people ranging from 52-51, I would have beaten him, but NOPE you gotta add like 3 fucking lizard queens to fuck you over and make your AI not focus on them. And they couldn't make them do like little damage, no make them do as much damage as a decently strong mob in the world.

Of course lowering the difficulty made me beat the boss in one fucking try, that's not the point though. It was just the worst experience I've had in a final boss battle.

Done venting.

Jarmel

Banned
This whole chapter 12 was the worst thing I've ever experienced.

It went from cheesy as fuck, to horribly written twist, to ridiculous boss battles, to losing your fucking skells if you didn't realize you can't recover them and you had to do like 4 boss battles at a time, and then the final boss battle as a FINAL fuck you makes your skell lose all of its fuel because you know it didn't need more of a middle finger if you were able to make your skells survive all of that bullshit. And then the final boss would be fine at level 50 and fighting him at people ranging from 52-51, I would have beaten him, but NOPE you gotta add like 3 fucking lizard queens to fuck you over and make your AI not focus on them. And they couldn't make them do like little damage, no make them do as much damage as a decently strong mob in the world.

Of course lowering the difficulty made me beat the boss in one fucking try, that's not the point though. It was just the worst experience I've had in a final boss battle.

Done venting.

Yea it's garbage. It's super poorly designed too with Lao being fucking hard and the player not being able to grab gear to counter Lao without resetting the quest.

I had to redo the entire final segment twice because I got my team to Lao and he then proceeded to wreck me. What made me salty one time was that I got him to like a sliver of health and he did two super moves back to back that wiped my team out.

The Skell thing is bullshit of the highest order. I could understand your fuel draining or him doing a move that partially drains your fuel, but all of it at once? Give me a fucking break.

Don't even get me started on Lin.

NO PLEASE DON'T SHOOT A BLU BLU BLU

Where's my "fucking shoot Lin so we don't have to deal with this boss" option

It's like HEY. We have to do this. Move out of the way. Instead Elma is all "let me explain everything to you"

then the ending was like that those scenes in movies

"Whoa wait a minute the soul machine it was off the whole time

That means the soul was actually inside all of us this whole time"

Jarmel

Banned
I was ready to shoot Lin in the last two chapters which annoyed me as I was enjoying her up to that point. Of course your goddamn character autojoins Lin which like defeats any purpose of not having a predefined character in the first place.

I was ready to shoot Lin in the last two chapters which annoyed me as I was enjoying her up to that point. Of course your goddamn character autojoins Lin which like defeats any purpose of not having a predefined character in the first place.

All I wanted in this game was to push her out of the way and then beat lao senselessly.

At least the normal missions let me be a douche

Zomba13

They could have easily made that a choice and have it play out the same way.

(Join Lin) - The one that is in the game
(Join Elma) - Stand with Elma and point your gun. Lin cries and whines then Lao does what he does anyway and it plays out the same.

Fou-Lu

Main story complete, only 65 hours of game time so far. My thoughts:

1) Mira is beautiful and exploring it is AMAZING, especially once you get a flying Skell.

2) Skell fuel is a fucking joke though. Don't want that shit again.

3) I liked the soundtrack more than I expected to, but the first game was still much better.

4) The silent MC annoyed me a lot more than I expected. Maybe because they were worse than silent, with the knowledge we have they were basically pointless. I do like the theory of being created by Mira as a failsafe though.

5) Party management is a mess. Way too many missions that requires Elma and Lin, way too many party members with little connection to the main story. Would have much prefered a Xenoblade 1 style cast of playable characters that are with you at all times and you can switch between.

6) Lao. I actually liked him well enough, but I feel like my last point had a negative impact on his story. If the game had a smaller solid playable cast and he had been one of the main party members they could have built his story better and made him more sympathetic. As is I filled in the blanks and can understand him.

What I want for a sequel: More skells, that also level organically instead of through monetary investment. A solid cast of player characters with a real protagonist. A direct sequel so the mysteries get explained.

Semajer

They were copied.

Doug nearly has a mental breakdown from that fact at the end. The real them are all dead unless you believe (as Elma said) in the idea of a soul (which is seemingly supported in-universe by Mira keeping them alive without their bodies/framework of the Lifehold). There should be nothing in their mims as they weren't designed to hold a person's cloned consciousness or memories, they were always meant to be hooked up the Lifehold.

Not that I am aware of, but there are a few "nearly invisible" items for headgear. I just use those.

I thought so. Thanks. I was just wondering if there was anything post-game that went into more detail.

I actually used Lao as my fourth character until that one cut scene when Elma gave him the stink eye. His betrayal impacted my game a lot more because I thought he was my brother in arms!

I actually used Lao as my fourth character until that one cut scene when Elma gave him the stink eye. His betrayal impacted my game a lot more because I thought he was my brother in arms!

I think I would have been largely ok with the plot, even if weak, if they had at least let me like point my gun at him with the intent to shoot.

But this was the adventures of Elma, Lin, Doug, Lao, Gwyn and Irina.

featuring Tatsu

(also featuring you)

aravuus

Don't even get me started on Lin.

NO PLEASE DON'T SHOOT A BLU BLU BLU

Where's my "fucking shoot Lin so we don't have to deal with this boss" option

It's like HEY. We have to do this. Move out of the way. Instead Elma is all "let me explain everything to you"

Man am I glad to see I'm not alone with this opinion lol. Asked if anyone else hated the scene and MC making the decision on his own and most seemed to like it or at least tolerate it. Fucking infuriatingly annoying scene, particularly the part about MC joining Lin by himself.

And yeah, Lin was perfectly fine up until that point, aside from the Tatsu potato jokes

2) Skell fuel is a fucking joke though. Don't want that shit again.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. It doesn't add ANY meaningful resource management to the game. At the very least, it should ONLY deplete in-battle and you should ALWAYS start battles with max fuel - then you'd have to possibly try and think a bit what arts you use.

Why in the fuck does flying use up fuel, and why does it replenish so slowly? If I want to do a lot of skell battling, after a certain point my only option seems to be literally TO WAIT, either for the fuel to replenish which is STUPID slow, or till I get enough miranium to buy enough fuel, which is stupid expensive. It does NOT add any difficulty, it's just another system to add unnecessary padding.

Top Bottom