• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X post game discussion [UNMARKED SPOILERS]

Zomba13

I think the post credits scene was just trying to say that the game doesn't end just because you finished the story. I don't expect a sequel from X but it's possible i'm wrong and it really is just teasing X2.

The Pre-credits ending was definitely a "you should keep playing" style ending while the post-credits was "oh shit! look out for answers in the next game!" (or DLC ending, which we know it doesn't have because Japan has had the game for ages).

EDIT: Also, what the hell is up with them not giving us Ga Jiarg as a party member!?

I'm glad it might've rekindled your desire to play the game. I was disappointing by the lack of quantity of the story, what is there was very nice.

You can ease the grind a lot by using some nice grinding location.( I know of one who makes the grind from 30 to 46-47 an absolute joke) and one that makes 50 to 60 super fast as well, just send me a PM or something if you decide to keep playing) And you should've access to a lot of other players avatar who you can bring with you and kill higher level monster to level faster. If you see a Galactic Knight out there called Mierin don't hesitate to recruit her, she's good ;)

And yeah if you finish the game at level 60 (the level cap) pretty much the whole game is easy. I did so many optionnal content I was always way higher level than the enemy. To the point where at some point you invade a base and the reinforcement just ran through me because I was more than 10 levels above their level so I wasn't triggering their aggro, which makes it kinda funny. They were worse than Storm troopers.

Thanks! I'll PM you for questions then. I appreciate it.

Fandangox

Kinda. But I hope not because Lost ending ruined the show for me.

When I first heard that X was more like an Anime series (With Affinity and Normal Missions being the episodes) Due to premise and location my firsf parallel was Lost, with the ship crashing and whatnot. Didn't expect it to be even closer to that lol.

As for what they set up, there's very interesting stuff out there, but they have to be careful with how much they answer on a sequel, otherwise you get, well, Lost.

I think Vena's write up on Cross is super interesting, makes sense too. Theres definitely more to Cross than what the game lets on, he might even be the black hooded figure at the end.

Also I find it weird thag L and Professor B weren't affected by Mira's Language magic. Either a big plot hole, or there's more to those 2 than they let on.

KarmaCow

Speaking of L, what was up with him? I didn't do any of the affinity missions with him but it seemed strange that he joined the final group that entered the lifehold core.

When I first heard that X was more like an Anime series (With Affinity and Normal Missions being the episodes) Due to premise and location my firsf parallel was Lost, with the ship crashing and whatnot. Didn't expect it to be even closer to that lol.

As for what they set up, there's very interesting stuff out there, but they have to be careful with how much they answer on a sequel, otherwise you get, well, Lost.

I think Vena's write up on Cross is super interesting, makes sense too. Theres definitely more to Cross than what the game lets on, he might even be the black hooded figure at the end.

Also I find it weird thag L and Professor B weren't affected by Mira's Language magic. Either a big plot hole, or there's more to those 2 than they let on.
I think words that don't have a direct translation in the other language aren't affected, hence why the Nopon don't just hear Noctilum as nightglow forest, or other such things.

The Pre-credits ending was definitely a "you should keep playing" style ending while the post-credits was "oh shit! look out for answers in the next game!" (or DLC ending, which we know it doesn't have because Japan has had the game for ages).

EDIT: Also, what the hell is up with them not giving us Ga Jiarg as a party member!?

Yeah, I really wanted a playable Ga Jiarg too. Maybe in the sequel?

Zomba13

Speaking of L, what was up with him? I didn't do any of the affinity missions with him but it seemed strange that he joined the final group that entered the lifehold core.

Yeah, L is super suspicious to me. He shows up and joins us but nothing else comes of it except he's important enough to bring to the final showdown? He's the only one of his species on the planet yet has apparently been trading with the Nopon (native to mira) for a while. Granted, I also didn't do his affinity missions.

Also the Nopon seem to be the only sapient species originating on Mira so that's also kinda weird.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Yeah, L is super suspicious to me. He shows up and joins us but nothing else comes of it except he's important enough to bring to the final showdown? He's the only one of his species on the planet yet has apparently been trading with the Nopon (native to mira) for a while. Granted, I also didn't do his affinity missions.

Also the Nopon seem to be the only sapient species originating on Mira so that's also kinda weird.

Have you guys seen his concept art? I don't know if it's in the NA artbook, but if you look at the PAX presentation. You can speculate that he is important sooner or later.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they do end up tying this back to XC's ending and this is the world Shulk created, with Mira being the planet the bionis and mechonis inhabitants ended up on. Since humans are descendants of the Samaarians, it's very likely earth wasn't their original home, so it's possible they were indeed actually homs descendants. It would also explain all the xenoblade references the nopon give, such as the heropon who slayed a god, the sword of legendaryness being the monado, Riki mentioning the legendary frontier village and calling humans hom homs at one point. Plus the telethia

Zomba13

Have you guys seen his concept art? I don't know if it's in the NA artbook, but if you look at the PAX presentation. You can speculate that he is important sooner or later.

Is this the piece you mean?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xenoblade/images/0/01/XCX-Ru-Concept-Artwork-04.png

(not using img tags as it may be a spoiler in the future maybe?)

The other concept images show him in different "normal" clothing just looking like an alien man but that piece seems to imply something more. If it is supposed to be him and not just an image of something different next to him.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Is this the piece you mean?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...work-04.png/revision/latest?cb=20150830123007

(not using img tags as it may be a spoiler in the future maybe?)

The other concept images show him in different "normal" clothing just looking like an alien man but that piece seems to imply something more. If it is supposed to be him and not just an image of something different next to him.

Correct, the one on the right is the original vision of the designers. They were trying to make it look as dark/evil looking as they can before they ended up with the current L. We'll see where it goes.

Well if you sound out L's name in Japanese it'd probably be エル. Which is e ru. If you turn your screen sideways, e ru looks like

め
ラ

Which says meh ra

Aka

Mira

Tatsu was aware of this and hasn't noticed this is some kind of big secret.

"Yes L is native to this planet (he is the planet after all!)"
"Nopon have great relationship with L and meet many times with (the planet)"
"Nopon has gained many things in trade with L (the planet: the ground we live in the food we eat and we return our bodies to the planet when we die)"

It's a parallel of Chapter 5.

Oh wait he crash landed there two years ago right? Nvm.

Anyone found how to get the outfit Elma wears in her true form? I've seen a few videos where i'm pretty sure theres been people wearing it.

Zomba13

Anyone found how to get the outfit Elma wears in her true form? I've seen a few videos where i'm pretty sure theres been people wearing it.

I've been trying to figure this out too. I've decided to keep her in true form and thought I'd get those clothes, or her default style would turn into it but nope.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Well if you sound out L's name in Japanese it'd probably be エル. Which is e ru. If you turn your screen sideways, e ru looks like

め
ラ

Which says meh ra

Aka

Mira

That is interesting.... but the ones that name the planet "Mira" are the humans... unless its breaking the fourth wall here.

There's no way there won't be a sequel.. well, if it sells well enough for Nintendo to think it's viable. But from a story perspective, there's way too many questions. And it wasn't the type of "interpret your own ending" thing... there are actual questions and mysteries that you can't just guess. Like what was up with that telethia or whatever it was that saved the party in one of the earlier chapters when they picked up the Vita? :S

I think the biggest issue with a direct sequel would be how would they make the world different enough without being too same-y? I love Mira, but I don't think I'd want to explore it again with little changes. I guess they could focus on another ship that crashed on another planet, but this game made it seem like the actual planet of Mira was special in some way, so...

Blues1990

I think the main problem that I have with the game, is how nonexistent the playable avatar is throughout the bulk of the story. The character was basically a nobody, and there wasn't any explanation to why make a big deal about your presence and why you're such a big part of Elma's squad. It doesn't help that the character doesn't appear in the game's ending after everyone returns to their flesh & bone bodies. Did the rookie just die from a head-cold or somethin', & everyone was like "Meh" ?

Zomba13

There's no way there won't be a sequel.. well, if it sells well enough for Nintendo to think it's viable. But from a story perspective, there's way too many questions. And it wasn't the type of "interpret your own ending" thing... there are actual questions and mysteries that you can't just guess. Like what was up with that telethia or whatever it was that saved the party in one of the earlier chapters when they picked up the Vita? :S

I think the biggest issue with a direct sequel would be how would they make the world different enough without being too same-y? I love Mira, but I don't think I'd want to explore it again with little changes. I guess they could focus on another ship that crashed on another planet, but this game made it seem like the actual planet of Mira was special in some way, so...

Yeah. There needs to be a direct sequel to answer the questions they set up but then you also run into the issue of it being in the same world. Other franchises handle that by letting you loose in just a region or certain areas but this game lets you explore the whole world (unless this is just one continent of Mira). If it is just one continent and there is another across the sea then there is the issue of how that would work in the story. Would they set up another city? Would it just be a small team exploring it? Would they bring another ark down?

And yeah, what is up with the telethia? It saving you seemed like a big deal but then it doesn't show up and the only telethia is just "Telethia, the Endbringer" in the upper northern part of Noctilum (where the music changes and it's weird, like this place is important but it's never explored in the story).

I think the main problem that I have with the game, is how nonexistent the playable avatar is throughout the bulk of the story. The character was basically a nobody, and there wasn't any explanation to why make a big deal about your presence and why you're such a big part of Elma's squad. It doesn't help that the character doesn't appear in the game's ending after everyone returns to their flesh & bone bodies. Did the rookie just die from a head-cold or somethin', & everyone was like "Meh" ?

I knew long ago that the player creating their own avatar would be completely useless in the story. Similar to White Knight Chronicles, it just made some of the scenes really awkward with the "nods" and vacant stares. If they were going that route, they should have just done it like Mass Effect or Dragon Age and let the character talk a lot in the story. Or should have just made Elma be the main character and not even create your own. Elma basically *was* the main character anyways.

Yeah. There needs to be a direct sequel to answer the questions they set up but then you also run into the issue of it being in the same world. Other franchises handle that by letting you loose in just a region or certain areas but this game lets you explore the whole world (unless this is just one continent of Mira). If it is just one continent and there is another across the sea then there is the issue of how that would work in the story. Would they set up another city? Would it just be a small team exploring it? Would they bring another ark down?

And yeah, what is up with the telethia? It saving you seemed like a big deal but then it doesn't show up and the only telethia is just "Telethia, the Endbringer" in the upper northern part of Noctilum (where the music changes and it's weird, like this place is important but it's never explored in the story).

Well, I could easily see there being more continents to explore on Mira. I suppose that could have been the entire world, but if they go the sequel route, I doubt that will be the case. Maybe another ship did survive and crash landed on Mira? Who knows. I do want to know what makes Mira so special. Elma even commented about the planet earlier in the game with how all the races can understand each other even though they speak different languages... what was up with that? And of course, the post-credits cutscene just raised all new questions about what makes Mira so special, too. lol

Still no idea about the telethia. I'm sure it's related to what makes the planet special, but who the hell knows. :p

Jolkien

I thought the Telethia was just a nod to the first game because I knew going in that the ultimate super boss was Telethia the Endbringer but then they decided to include it in the main story. It surprised me, I wonder if there's more there.

If Mira is indeed sentient or special or whatever I wonder if it's like FF7 (and the weapons) and it's the planet will or something.

alvis.exe

Just beat the story. Died once to 2nd form Vita and once to 2nd form Lao but managed to pull through. Also that Chimera Lao did not feel very final boss-like to me either visually or story-wise but meh. It was probably because I was expecting him to turn into a Telethia thanks to the title of that one track haha. Anyways, time to take advantage of the formerly DLC grinding missions to do all the stuff I haven't done yet! I think I'm only at 30%-40% world completion lol.

Annoyed by what was done to Lao because I really like his design haha. I feel like his story definitely could have been handled a lot better though... either show a gradual descent into madness culminating with his final snap (and do a better snap back to reality type thing) or just have him stick to his guns the whole way and let him die in Chapter 11. Given the budget the cutscenes seem to have had, probably the latter would have been easier since there'd need to be some serious emoting going on with the former option.
Also, did anyone happen to see his Heart-to-Hearts? I totally missed them and am now really curious to know what he reveals in those.

Though speaking of cutscenes, I reallllly liked the little ending roll we got and all the little shots of the characters going on in their daily lives. And ultimately, I think that really was the focus they were going for with the story and the Affinity Missions were definitely pretty great in that regard. Heart-to-Hearts should have been more like in XC though - between characters instead of with the "MC" because we definitely could have used more character interactions (seriously, what's with the lack of post-battle dialogue :/). I really liked a lot of the characters though - kinda refreshing to have a cast full of characters in their mid to late 20's/early 30's just talking about getting drinks after work or something lol and not getting into teenage shenanigans instead.

Ultimately, I thought the story was OK. It touched on some very interesting things, especially the whole philosophical discussion at the end, but I do wish they could have fleshed it out more. I have no idea how they could have done it but a JRPG centered around a core philosophical discussion of the human condition certainly would have felt more unique than the usual "determinism vs free will" debate that I was expecting lol. I mean, I guess you could argue that the vast majority of the sidequests kinda touched upon it with people reacting differently to the situation they're in but it definitely didn't come through in the core story until Chapter 11.

Definitely can tell that HD development was tough on their budget though. I'm glad they took it from the story instead of the gameplay (which was fantastic! I don't think I had any problems with finding materials/collectibles/getting to quest locations because exploration was so addicting and I did so much of it before accepting any quests) but here's to hoping they either get a higher budget for the next game or they can re-purpose some of the work they did for XCX. Because if they can combine the gameplay strengths of XCX with their traditional narrative skills and then throw back in some game design stuff from XC (seriously, why no in-game term dictionary :( And how is the Device menu WORSE than XC's Gem menu haha) then I think their next game can be something super special! I'm just... not sure if I want it to be a direct sequel. If it is, it'd have to be an entirely different set of areas to explore because it'd be silly to go through all the same areas again. Then that poses a problem since the whole point of a sequel would be to find out what the hell Mira actually is so it's not like the game could suddenly take place on a different planet. Maybe they could do a prequel or something but still, I think I'd rather have a completely different world instead. That and direct sequels tend to sell a lot worse it feels like and I want them to continue the franchise, not kill it.

Besides, Mira is obviously
a Monado that turned the quantum computer on-board the White Whale into a god who then proceeded to save the lives of all the creatures who ended up stranded on the planet since everyone on Mira has a life and deserves the chance to seize their own destinies.

PS: Based on Volkampf, what are the worldwide sales looking at now? Last I checked I think it was at 130k in the US?

Fandangox

seriously, what's with the lack of post-battle dialogue :/

Not as good as in Xenoblade, but its still there, not with 3 characters because I assume the 18+ playable characters plus silent MC made that difficult, but there were some some interesting combinations I didn't expect like Frye with L, Frye with Alexa, Murderess with Doug, Yelv and Elma, etc.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

I've been trying to figure this out too. I've decided to keep her in true form and thought I'd get those clothes, or her default style would turn into it but nope.
Guys, guys, guys. Go to the settings screen and you'll find an option to use Elma's true form.

Jolkien

Guys, guys, guys. Go to the settings screen and you'll find an option to use Elma's true form.

That's for her physical appearance. They're talking about the clothes she wears that looks like Kos-Mos from Xenosaga.

From what I read it appears to be a craftable set. Not sure where you get the blueprint tho.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's for her physical appearance. They're talking about the clothes she wears that looks like Kos-Mos from Xenosaga.

From what I read it appears to be a craftable set. Not sure where you get the blueprint tho.
I looked at some of the materials required for some sets and it seems to be quite a grind.

Jolkien

I looked at some of the materials required for some sets and it seems to be quite a grind.

Yeah the whole crafting is a very nice idea until you figure out how much of a grind it is. I crafted my level 40 Photon Saber and the Ares-90. That's it.

I wish there wasn't a grind for her actual outfit. It's a shame bc she looks so cool in her KOS-MOS gear.

It's kinda funny that someone told me to not google Elma and KOS-MOS because of huge spoilers, and I was somewhat confused as to how they could be related. Now I get it. :p

For a split second when she was revealed, I thought it was going to link up with Xenosaga 3 lol

Zenaku

Yeah, her true form looks great. Unfortunately I was spoiled to it before seeing it the first time. Someone posted an image here on GAF showing a recruitable character (can't remember which one) and in the corner of the screen was Elma's true form character portrait, with her name next to it.

It didn't take more than a few seconds to figure out the truth about her. Completely ruined the impact of that scene.

Anyway, let's discuss Ares for a minute, specifically the original.

DVIJB3z.jpg

AqRpoGU.jpg

iwrF1X2.jpg

TynjS9t.jpg

aDFnYnx.jpg

- It has a glowing purple inner frame, much like Vita
- It lacks wheels, and likely can't transform into a vehicle

Proto Ares, stolen by Lao, is based on the Ares in the opening but a completely different unit. It also appears to have English letters on the shoulder armour, possibly indicating that the armour is of Earth origin, like how the Vita's armour appears to be GROWTH/Ganglion origin.

solaaire

Neo Member
Can you play as Elma's xeno form, or are you stuck using her mimeosome post-game?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that you can, sweet!

I was rewatching the ending tonight... Do we know what was missing from the Vita that Elma was referencing? Like she said something "vital" was missing and he was using an incomplete Vita. Do we know what was missing? Can it only be used by that Samaarian race or whatever they are called? Or is it just missing the "Great One"? Whoever/whatever that is.

Chaos17

Saw the ending and talked with roomate (who finished the main story) about the game about these :

1. There's a chance that Mira is actually part of the first game because of the Noppon that reffer to XC often. It can't be a coincidence or just easter eggs specialy when we know that Monado has the power to shift time.

2. Actually if you watch carefully the intro, you will notice that the Purple mechas are the one who destroyed the earth and attacked the White Whale. While Ganglion mechas army has black color and we have no informations about that second faction with who the Ganglion fought with.

3. Mira actually prevent anyone to leave, that's why the Man-non are stuck on that planet.

4. The main character amnesia actually do make sense if he was magicly revived by Mira just like Lao because his data couldn't be downloaded from the Life Hold.

A lot of questions were left untold, either post game will replies to some or we will have a second XCX.
For the Mc, I think they should go toward something like Persona 3 or 4 so we can still keep an originall mc that we make but he will be more invested in the main story beside being a side kick, lol. Beside that, I'm fine with the main story and side missions.

Anyway, post game will be long to do.
For example, Elma last affininity quest will require the player to beat a boss level 80 (from Prima guide), lol.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I was rewatching the ending tonight... Do we know what was missing from the Vita that Elma was referencing? Like she said something "vital" was missing and he was using an incomplete Vita. Do we know what was missing? Can it only be used by that Samaarian race or whatever they are called? Or is it just missing the "Great One"? Whoever/whatever that is.

They probably left it out in purpose. This was not mentioned at all in the Luxaar's cutscene. All I remember is, Luxaar was prepared to die for riding the Vita. Of course we may get hints from one of the many normal missions that's available.

Saw the ending and talked with roomate (who finished the main story) about the game about these :

1. There's a chance that Mira is actually part of the first game because of the Noppon that reffer to XC often. It can't be a coincidence or just easter eggs specialy when we know that Monado has the power to shift time.

2. Actually if you watch carefully the intro, you will notice that the Purple mechas are the one who destroyed the earth and attacked the White Whale. While Ganglion mechas army has black color and we have no informations about that second faction with who the Ganglion fought with.

3. Mira actually prevent anyone to leave, that's why the Man-non are stuck on that planet.

4. The main character amnesia actually do make sense if he was magicly revived by Mira just like Lao because his data couldn't be downloaded from the Life Hold.

They pretty much left it open at this point. I don't know if it may connect to XC. Keep in mind, Shulk's wish is to get rid of the gods. Mira, at this point, seem to have its own god that's preventing everyone from leaving. I still would like to believe that the game is hinting that the main character = the player behind the gamepad that is remote controlling the mim. It's possible after all because of this "planet" Mira.

Also, there is probably other higher up in the Ganglion. Ga Jiarg kept calling Luxaar the high councillor, meaning there may be more ganglion forces that has not arrived in Mira or more specifically in one of these 5 continents.. In the opening cutscene, they have a lot of forces. I doubt all of them were sent to deal with the white whale.

Top Bottom