• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X post game discussion [UNMARKED SPOILERS]

Jolkien

Elma Skells can't be the Ares she doesn't recognize it when she sees it, she says ''Could it be... them ? '' I assumed she was talking about her people but now I am not sure.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
She gave them all sorts of new tech (Qlu Trion Shields, lightspeed travel, the quantum mainframe tech, Skells based off of the Ares, etc). In 30 years? You could build that stuff especially if the warning of said ultra-advanced alien was: "Your planet is going to be destroyed in 30 years."

She probably knew that the Ganglion will target humanity eventually due to their DNA.

Elma Skells can't be the Ares she doesn't recognize it when she sees it, she says ''Could it be... them ? '' I assumed she was talking about her people but now I am not sure.

Actually it was mentioned in one of the chapters by Vandham. It was a slip-up. It's very likely that it's the original skell that Elma came in when she arrived on Earth.

edit: just remembered it's in the chapter where TATSU almost killed you when you are recovering the damaged Vita.

ivysaur12

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I'd really like the next Xenoblade to be set on Mira and complete the story. The world is actually really cool, and with slightly more of a narrative direction, I think it could be insanely compelling.

Then Xenoblade 3 can be a new thing.

KarmaCow

What was up with Tatsu explicitly and seemingly unconsciously calling them Homs? There were references to the first game with stuff like Telethia, Nopons themselves, the Monado look-a-like but this was more than just a nod to the other game like Cid appearing in every FF game. Is there anything more to it than a more overt way of saying this is the universe Shulk ends up creating as a way to loosely connect the two games?

Vena

What was up with Tatsu explicitly and seemingly unconsciously calling them Homs? There were references to the first game with stuff like Telethia, Nopons themselves, the Monado look-a-like but this was more than just a nod to the other game like Cid appearing in every FF game. Is there anything more to it than a more overt way of saying this is the universe Shulk ends up creating as a way to loosely connect the two games?

Mira is basically the Monado. I think it was a continuing nod against/for the oddness that is the planet.

The rest of the universe is largely normal.

Vandaam says its her mech.

Theres no concrete connections that i've seen in the game yet. Maybe something deeper is hidden in the last 28% of the game's completion I have left but so far it's a ton of allusions to the prior game.

Telethia, Nopons, Monado lookalikes, and the "Legendary Frontier Village" are the few direct callbacks. But no substantial link yet.

Also Celica's past is really poorly developed. Doesn't help that half her lines are "Oh isn't Rock just the sweetest?" but even after her affinity missions and heart to hearts, she's still a mystery. Most we get is "I'm from a planet like yours only slightly different" and that she worships or somethings a thing called Qlu. Also she likes donuts.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member

I think it was just a reference. Takahashi did say that this does not connect to any of the other Xeno-series. Although that NoE trailer kept me hoping for Kos-Mos.

Jolkien

I stand corrected them must've forgot that line from Vandaam. And I know circumstances pulled a lot of people toward Mira but is the planet literally unescapable, depending on where the story goes it wouldn't be far fetched for humanity to reach towards the stars again.

But the more we talk in this thread the more I'm interested in the next game being on Mira again.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I stand corrected them must've forgot that line from Vandaam. And I know circumstances pulled a lot of people toward Mira but is the planet literally unescapable, depending on where the story goes it wouldn't be far fetched for humanity to reach towards the stars again.

But the more we talk in this thread the more I'm interested in the next game being on Mira again.

Yea, I think most of us assume the 5 continents is the whole entirety of Mira, but I seriously doubt it. Mira can be as big or even much bigger than Jupiter for all we know.

Would someone mine spoiling the general story for me post Chapter 4? I am at a point where I cannot continue with the game and I don't have time to grind for levels in order to beat normal enemies/bosses and progress in the game.

I bought the game to support more games like this and the Wii U, but I don't like grinding through this game.

KarmaCow

Mira is basically the Monado. I think it was a continuing nod against/for the oddness that is the planet.

The rest of the universe is largely normal.

Maybe I'm misremembering but isn't the last minute asspull from the first game that scientists on Earth ended up destroying the universe and in the end Shulk is given the ability to do the same thing? I can understand Mira being a macguffin like the Monado but I was wondering it was something more direct than that.

I think it was just a reference. Takahashi did say that this does not connect to any of the other Xeno-series. Although that NoE trailer kept me hoping for Kos-Mos.

The other stuff fine, it works like FF with it's series staples like Moogles but this was way more explicit, again like FF how the Vana'diel games are connected. If it's not a direct link between the two games, it's an odd thing for Tatsu to drop without even realising it (not even as a weird Nopon nickname that he's used before) and more over, have other characters and Tatsu himself actually point out how odd it is.

Jolkien

Would someone mine spoiling the general story for me post Chapter 4? I am at a point where I cannot continue with the game and I don't have time to grind for levels in order to beat normal enemies/bosses and progress in the game.

I bought the game to support more games like this and the Wii U, but I don't like grinding through this game.

Basically for the whole game you were looking for the Life Hold Core (that's the big timer and percentage on the main tower of Mira). Every single human on the planet is a Mimeosome, your human consciousness is inside machine that replicate everything the human body does. (So you still eat to generate energy etc)

The core is what store your consciousness and the timer is declining because the main power source has been damaged. It's a race against time to prevent extinction. At this point in time you think your real bodies are stored in the Lifehold and you will be able to get back to them.

Long story short you find the Core but learn that all of your real bodies are dead. Your mind were digitalised on Earth and only 1 person flew in cryo-stasis, Elma who happens to be a member of an alien race that came to earth 30 years before it's destruction and gave a LOT of advanced technology so humanity could survive. (The White Whale, the Skells, energy shield, lightspeed travels etc). The White Whale has a Quantuum computer with the DNA pattern of pretty much every single thing on Earth and in time they will be able to replicate those lifeforms and even replicate humanity old body and transfer their consciousness from the Mimeosome back to the real human body

One of the Alien race who followed you on Mira are called the Ganglion and were created by a super old and extinct alien race called the Samaar. Humanity are descendant of the Samaarian people and the Ganglion fears us because something in our DNA prevent them for harming us. That's why at every turn they try to stop you from reaching the Lifehold modules.

In the end you reach the core, stop the badguy and save the core only to figure out post credit that the database holding everyone conciousness was broken from when the Core landed on Mira. Every single person besides Elma should be dead but aren't because of the planet Mira. The planet also has some kind of pull and somehow translate people language, which is why everybody speaks English but they hear you in their natives tongue. A lot of mystery shroud Mira but we don't know anything else.

I skipped a LOT of details but that's the jist of the story and events.

Astral Dog

The game feels incomplete, simple as that i understand they wanted to focus on gameplay first as this is their first HD gamd or something, but they created a game that simply doesnt surpass its predecessor, even the director spoke about wanting to focus on other things next time, based on final impressions, that does not inspire alot of confidence even if i appreciated the honesty.
Like, why not just cut a continent to make space and budget for a (even slightly) more developed and well presented main plot? Would that make it a worse game? Would people complain its not BIG enough? The story is one of the most important parts of an RPG after all, and this game was very dissapointing, even mozt of the characters are paper thin ( and how many times we have to hear someone wanting to eat Tatsu? That shit is a part of the main plot)

What little there is its not bad, but the whole game feels like a big already explored world full of meaningless fetch quests and its worse than what the first game offered imo.

Jolkien

Yeah I tried reigning in my expectations from people impression in the Japanese import thread but I was still excited because I adored the first game story. I think Takahashi seemed to have taken to heart the complaint about the lack of focus the story provides. And I'm confident it'll be fixed for their next game.

KarmaCow

The story is clearly more of a setup but still the problem was that it just needed better quest design to more it more in line with the open nature of the game. They just slapped a linear fixed narrative onto a sprawling open world that didn't do much to gate your progress. Having stuff like finding Lifehold pieces or giving refuge to other species, including the Prone clans being relegated to isolated small normal missions with no affect on the larger narrative was jarring.

Also just kinda ruminating on the ending after powering through the game just to see what was in the end game, wasn't it kinda weird that all they had to do was save the Lifehold Core was to activate a seemingly perpetual backup power system? Why was that something that needed to be manually done and worse, locked to Elma's original body?

Vena

I disagree with completeness. I agree with structure being meh.

I think the overall story is quite complete but its a prologue and world-builder for Mira/aliens/humans. That's how I look at it anyway, and I walk away satisfied. If you just bumrush the main story, though, ya it'd be really vacuous. Most of the story and interesting stuff is in the affinity/normal missions sidequests. Alien races, alien histories and lore, secrets of Mira and the race that existed on Mira in a time long past, etc. Its all tucked away outside of the main story.

Also just kinda ruminating on the ending after powering through the game just to see what was in the end game, wasn't it kinda weird that all they had to do was save the Lifehold Core was to activate a seemingly perpetual backup power system? Why was that something that needed to be manually done and worse, locked to Elma's original body?

The fact that all you needed was the turn on the power is actually foreshadowing to the nature of the mims, which became much more obvious towards Chapter 11. If we had real bodies in there, that solution wouldn't have worked long-term. Elma knew the whole time, and it makes her dialogue a bit more profound on a second glance.

Elma's body isn't a key to anything. That's just her body and she no longer needs a mim to blend in (if you so choose). Elma is just a key to human survival in general as she gave them the tech 30 years earlier.

Jolkien

From my understanding the crash caused the automatic backup system to malfunction and the bypass to the second power source needed to be manual.

And the game doesn't tell you but I doubt only Elma could've done it. Nagi or Vandaam probably could've since they were in leadership position. Even before Vandaam becoming the head of the military was still the head of the White Whale engineers.

The fact that all you needed was the turn on the power is actually foreshadowing to the nature of the mims, which became much more obvious towards Chapter 11. If we had real bodies in there, that solution wouldn't have worked long-term. Elma knew the whole time, and it makes her dialogue a bit more profound on a second glance.

Elma's body isn't a key to anything. That's just her body and she no longer needs a mim to blend in (if you so choose). Elma is just a key to human survival in general as she gave them the tech 30 years earlier.

After having finished the game I wish we could've rewatched the cutscene in the game. I guess I'll wait for the eventual YouTube video and re-watch Elma's scene taking into consideration everything I now know.

Sylas

I genuinely feel like the story would have been better suited to a MMO. It feels like the majority of the main story is a lot of setup for future plotlines but in the end you're just left with a big ol' shrug and a hope that they'll make a sequel to start answering some of the questions.

Honestly, I feel like XCX would have been an amazing MMO for a ton of reasons--story notwithstanding.

Basically...

Wow. That is a great summary. Now you just inspired me to go back and give it another go before quitting entirely sometime.

I just didn't like the fact that there is no healing option other than the QTE's and interactive aspects of the battle engine. I was sprinting through the game by abusing the "die 5 times and lower the boss level" feature so I can advance quickly. But this doesn't work on the 3 turrets mission in Mission 5 since they are surrounded by normal enemies who are like 5-10 levels higher than me. I didn't want to spend another 8 hours or more grinding for levels/skills/classes/gear.

I thought Xenoblade Chronicles X had a great premise and despite shorter/basic story, your description makes the story sound very intriguing and unique.

Jolkien

I genuinely feel like the story would have been better suited to a MMO. It feels like the majority of the main story is a lot of setup for future plotlines but in the end you're just left with a big ol' shrug and a hope that they'll make a sequel to start answering some of the questions.

Honestly, I feel like XCX would have been an amazing MMO for a ton of reasons--story notwithstanding.

I think it was the beginning story of something larger but we don't know yet. (We can hope) But I totally understand what some of the reviewers said about the story feeling thin and incomplete.

Jolkien

Wow. That is a great summary. Now you just inspired me to go back and give it another go before quitting entirely sometime.

I just didn't like the fact that there is no healing option other than the QTE's and interactive aspects of the battle engine. I was sprinting through the game by abusing the "die 5 times and lower the boss level" feature so I can advance quickly. But this doesn't work on the 3 turrets mission in Mission 5 since they are surrounded by normal enemies who are like 5-10 levels higher than me. I didn't want to spend another 8 hours or more grinding for levels/skills/classes/gear.

I thought Xenoblade Chronicles X had a great premise and despite shorter/basic story, your description makes the story sound very intriguing and unique.

I'm glad it might've rekindled your desire to play the game. I was disappointing by the lack of quantity of the story, what is there was very nice.

You can ease the grind a lot by using some nice grinding location.( I know of one who makes the grind from 30 to 46-47 an absolute joke) and one that makes 50 to 60 super fast as well, just send me a PM or something if you decide to keep playing) And you should've access to a lot of other players avatar who you can bring with you and kill higher level monster to level faster. If you see a Galactic Knight out there called Mierin don't hesitate to recruit her, she's good ;)

And yeah if you finish the game at level 60 (the level cap) pretty much the whole game is easy. I did so many optionnal content I was always way higher level than the enemy. To the point where at some point you invade a base and the reinforcement just ran through me because I was more than 10 levels above their level so I wasn't triggering their aggro, which makes it kinda funny. They were worse than Storm troopers.

Sylas

I think it was the beginning story of something larger but we don't know yet. (We can hope) But I totally understand what some of the reviewers said about the story feeling thin and incomplete.

I really, really, really hope Takahashi has found a home with Nintendo. I adored this game and I'd love to see it expanded.

I can't really get on board with the story feeling thin, though. Incomplete? Totally! But the story isn't frontloaded like most RPGs these days. It's definitely more focused on the worldbuilding as opposed to some sweeping, epic storyline.

Zenaku

Only played the japanese version, so when I mention "GROWTH" I mean Ganglion, and "B.B" (Blue Blood) is MIMS.

First the opening, the race that fights with the GROWTH could in fact be the Samaar. In the Japanese artbook the purple race that come from the larger ships are referred to as "ghosts". They likely don't possess human bodies, and are no longer a direct threat to the GROWTH, at least not in the way humans are.

It's also that race that attacks the White Whale and forces it to crash on Mira; their absence from the story from then on makes me think forcing humans onto Mira was their goal from the beginning.

As for the ending, I don't believe their "souls" and memories are separate. The "Zohar-like" computer is just the computer that transmits the peoples consciousness from the database to their B.B bodies. The database being destroyed means the B.B's should be nothing more than lumps of metal, as the consciences and memories that control them don't exist anymore (Elma states this clearly, don't know if it's worded differently in the localization).

As to whether there's something on Mira filling in for the database, or their memories/consciousness were transferred to their B.B bodies, we don't know (although the B.B's may have little to no data storage capacity, as they wouldn't need any what with their minds being transmitted, so I'm leaning to the former). The only thing we know for certain is that the computer is still working (or Elma wouldn't have been able to control her body).

Vena

I really, really, really hope Takahashi has found a home with Nintendo. I adored this game and I'd love to see it expanded.

I can't really get on board with the story feeling thin, though. Incomplete? Totally! But the story isn't frontloaded like most RPGs these days. It's definitely more focused on the worldbuilding as opposed to some sweeping, epic storyline.

Xenoblade is basically their premiere RPG franchise. They greenlit this sequel on much lower results from the original Xenoblade, and XenoX is going to comfortably shoot past Xenoblade worldwide in sales.

I think they've found their home, ya. They're also excellent engine builders for EPD/EAD's needs.

KarmaCow

Eh, if you can buy that they can not only digitize consciousness but also have it remotely control mechanical homunculuses across continents with no lag time, I can buy that they could also put bodies into stasis so they don't age.

And I remember Elma saying something along the lines of and this a thing only she can do before going to to the computer to turn on the backup power, which recognizes her bio signs but I could be misremembering it.

The problem is that it's mostly segmented vignettes. They bring up some interesting scenarios but with no cohesion with the larger game.

Jolkien

The race fighting the Ganglion in the beginning couldn't have been the Samaar, the Ganglion are engineered to be killed if they harm them, and humanity are descendants of the Samaar, which implies that they are extinct due to whatever reason. I assume the first battle opposed the Qluian (I assume Elma is a Qlu since she gave us Qlu Shield, who knows) I think it's the Ganglion that attack the White Whale 2 years into her trip and force it to crash land on Mira. During their attack they also crash landed because Mira has some kind of attraction.

Vena

Pretty sure she's Qlu. I know she's not outright Samaarian since Luxor doesn't instantly die in her presence.

Eh, if you can buy that they can not only digitize consciousness but also have it remotely control mechanical homunculuses across continents with no lag time, I can buy that they could also put bodies into stasis so they don't age.

Elma talks about the lack of lag (proximity to the core). And she even addresses how unrealistic the body count was for stasis. It wasn't aging or food issues, it was capacity.

And I remember Elma saying something along the lines of and this a thing only she can do before going to to the computer to turn on the backup power, which recognizes her bio signs but I could be misremembering it.

Oh you mean activating the core restoration? That's tied to Elma, ya, since she's the only living body. But her body in and of itself isn't special, its just that she's the only living passenger. I thought you meant in some "special snowflake" way. The director general and Vandaam likely also had clearance but they're not going to waltz into a heavy combat zone.

It certainly wasn't going to be open to a random soldier or a ghost like Cross.

Kouriozan

Elma does say to Lin that the LifeHold core would be near since they don't feel lag at one point. It was at Chapter 10 iirc.

aravuus

Oh yeah, was I the only who intensely hated everything about the scene after you beat Lao? You know, the one with Lin and fucking traitor MC shielding Lao, Lao suddenly going "hurr durr now I realize how stupid I was" and doing the right thing etc

Jolkien

Oh yeah, was I the only who intensely hated everything about the scene after you beat Lao? You know, the one with Lin and fucking traitor MC shielding Lao, Lao suddenly going "hurr durr now I realize how stupid I was" and doing the right thing etc

I didn't hate it because a tons of jRPG prepared me before for the betrayal tropes but I though if it was a Bioware game, I would've shot him. The stakes were too high with what he did.

Vena

Pretty standard affair for games/jrpgs/anime. And Lin's dialogue is rather apt in that scene (and following), as she says, if she'd known the reality of the project it'd have likely drove her mad too especially if you were put into Lao's shoes where you find out that the hope being offered was a con. Lao was an extreme case of nihilism but it was showing up all over the place.

I'd have been rather surprised and disappointed if Cross didn't intervene.

KarmaCow

Elma talks about the lack of lag (proximity to the core). And she even addresses how unrealistic the body count was for stasis. It wasn't aging or food issues, it was capacity.

My point is that they're both ridiculous enough if that you can buy one you can buy the other. Elma says it was 20 million vs 50 000 but that doesn't really contradict anything. There aren't that many people actually in NLA, certainly not 50 000 considering the anemic residential district. If the story went another way, I could buy that only a fraction were awakened in mims while the rest were in stasis.

Everything involving Lao was stupid as fuck. It would make more sense if actually did have a mental break but with turn after Lin's defense, it ended coming off as just being angsty. The final battle with Lao was forced pointless filler. I get that they're setting him up with the post credits thing but it was just dumb regardless.

Oh Lin stopping Elma the first time was dumb but the second time was staggeringly stupid.

Zenaku

The race fighting the Ganglion in the beginning couldn't have been the Samaar, the Ganglion are engineered to be killed if they harm them, and humanity are descendants of the Samaar, which implies that they are extinct due to whatever reason. I assume the first battle opposed the Qluian (I assume Elma is a Qlu since she gave us Qlu Shield, who knows) I think it's the Ganglion that attack the White Whale 2 years into her trip and force it to crash land on Mira. During their attack they also crash landed because Mira has some kind of attraction.

The GROWTH/Ganglion will die if they harm a living Samaar, hence why they're scared of humans regaining their flesh and blood bodies, and like I said the purple race in the beginning are referred to as "ghosts" in the artbook. That's not the japanese word for ghosts (yuurei) but the english word for ghosts (go-suto).

If they're ghosts of the Samaar, they no longer have real bodies, and would be no different to the B.B's/MIMS as far as the GROWTH/Ganglion are concerned (Samaarian consciousnesses, but in a different form that won't trigger the failsafe).

It's also definitely the purple race, and not the GROWTH/Ganglion's that attack the White Whale in the opening; I've watched it frame-by-frame and had a good look at the Dolls and other enemies during that sequence, and there's no doubt about it.

My own theory is that they attacked the WW to force it onto Mira, as if they didn't the GROWTH/Ganglion would've gotten there first and destroyed it completely.

Jolkien

If they brought the White Wale down on Mira why they didn't show up in the game. They seems interested in us with us being the evolution of their race. Why let us fend for ourselves ?

ivysaur12

Banned
Everyone was freaking out over a Zelda series on Netflix, but I actually think Xenoblade would be Nintendo's chance to do something live-action and scripted, if they wanted to.

EDIT: Wait, are the Ganglion a race? I thought they were a collection of different races.

Zenaku

My only guess would be they want the system in the Central Life/Lifehold to make new bodies for themselves, waiting for NLA to find it (and activate the power, which Elma needed to do), or perhaps they want something else on Mira and can't get it themselves due to being ghosts. The sequel will probably explain. The full artbook releasing later this month might go more in-depth on a few things too.

Jolkien

Everyone was freaking out over a Zelda series on Netflix, but I actually think Xenoblade would be Nintendo's chance to do something live-action and scripted, if they wanted to.

EDIT: Wait, are the Ganglion a race? I thought they were a collection of different races.

No the Ganglion are the coalition of bad guys. We just call them Ganglions because we don't have a name for the race at the top of their food chains. (The big slug like guy)

Venfayth

Also the scene when Lao kills Luxaar was pretty dope.

edit: When you guys refer to someone named Cross, is that the player character?

KarmaCow

Most of the appeal is the alien world and ecosystem though and I can't see Nintendo or Netflix financing something to do it justice.

ivysaur12

Banned
No the Ganglion are the coalition of bad guys. We just call them Ganglions because we don't have a name for the race at the top of their food chains. (The big slug like guy)

Right -- there's the Worthians, and then Goetia is probably a Difians? Is that what they were called? There's also another type of enemy that I fought when I fought someone who looked like Goetia, but I forget what they were called.

But yeah, Luxaar never had a race, if I recall.

Most of the appeal is the alien world and ecosystem though and I can't see Nintendo or Netflix financing something to do it justice.

Nah, it would be a space opera. More in terms of idea than the game on screen. It's sctrutured so much like a series as is.

Basically for the whole game you were looking for the Life Hold Core (that's the big timer and percentage on the main tower of Mira). Every single human on the planet is a Mimeosome, your human consciousness is inside machine that replicate everything the human body does. (So you still eat to generate energy etc)

The core is what store your consciousness and the timer is declining because the main power source has been damaged. It's a race against time to prevent extinction. At this point in time you think your real bodies are stored in the Lifehold and you will be able to get back to them.

Long story short you find the Core but learn that all of your real bodies are dead. Your mind were digitalised on Earth and only 1 person flew in cryo-stasis, Elma who happens to be a member of an alien race that came to earth 30 years before it's destruction and gave a LOT of advanced technology so humanity could survive. (The White Whale, the Skells, energy shield, lightspeed travels etc). The White Whale has a Quantuum computer with the DNA pattern of pretty much every single thing on Earth and in time they will be able to replicate those lifeforms and even replicate humanity old body and transfer their consciousness from the Mimeosome back to the real human body

One of the Alien race who followed you on Mira are called the Ganglion and were created by a super old and extinct alien race called the Samaar. Humanity are descendant of the Samaarian people and the Ganglion fears us because something in our DNA prevent them for harming us. That's why at every turn they try to stop you from reaching the Lifehold modules.

In the end you reach the core, stop the badguy and save the core only to figure out post credit that the database holding everyone conciousness was broken from when the Core landed on Mira. Every single person besides Elma should be dead but aren't because of the planet Mira. The planet also has some kind of pull and somehow translate people language, which is why everybody speaks English but they hear you in their natives tongue. A lot of mystery shroud Mira but we don't know anything else.

Mira is basically the island from Lost?

Zomba13

cross posting from ot

Just finished it. I guess I still have a bunch of missions and post game stuff to do but I'm done with the story.

I didn't enjoy the story as much as XB. The characters weren't as good, maybe due to the fact that some are optional and how some are restricted on certain missions. Only Elma and Lin were really fleshed out.
And even then I never really got why she cared for Lao so much. They could have fleshed it out into a father/daughter thing but didn't. She just cared about him and didn't want him hurt just because and he cared for her just because. I guess he is reminded of his daughter.

There are also a bunch of things that just go unanswered. Why did the Telethia save us? Are Telethias special in this game like XB or was it just a hungry dragonbird?
What is going on with Mira? Why did so many species crash land here?
What was up with Goetia and the little one and big one? Were they just random foot soldiers who died when their mechs blew up? Seems a waste to make cool characters like that and do nothing with them.
What exactly are the Samaar?
Who was the other race the Ganglion were fighting? Was it Elma's race and they were trying to buy time for humanity?
They mention a few times of there being someone else, like Elma was one of the first to hop in a skell and fight during the war or something and then they mention there was someone else but then they just drop it.
What are those ones with names like MLR223-someword? They look like human females and might be some kind of mim?
I like the game a lot, I've put in around 75 hours (oh god) but I still prefer XB. It had a better plot, better characters, more unique world (Mira is amazing and beautiful BUT it's not two titans, one biological, one mechanical, frozen in the final moments of an epic battle) and I feel I liked the combat better but that might just be memory. I seem to remember the stuff with coloured attacks being different effects and you chain them (like stagger -> topple) and get bonuses and stuff (Also "Born in a world of strife! Against the odds!" etc).

I absolutely prefer the side content in this game though. The side missions and affinity missions do a good job of fleshing out the world and characters, not just party members but seemingly random people you normally wouldn't care about in any other game. And planting probes and exploring is good fun that changes the further into the game you are thanks to Skells and flight. Still not a fan of the "kill x thing" "collect x drop" "find x collectible" stuff, especially when it isn't marked on a map. Not asking for easy mode handholding, just like, collectibles will be green or something in the area where one you need is, or marking enemies that drop what you need for a quest. They do mark enemies sometimes when you need to kill a specific type or tyrant but I want more.

Then there is stuff with the UI, it's kinda insane. You get a lot of menus and options and that is great BUT the text is tiny for certain elements and it's missing basic options like audio mixing. I want to lower the music and raise the dialouge in cutscenes. And there is shit with characters not levelling together. I can't remember how it was in XB but I think they did? At least they were with you all the time (I think?). At least battle points collect when you aren't using them.

I think the custom character hurt the game a bit in that we aren't a character at all. We make some choices at some points that do affect side missions but we have no personality and are sometimes forced to do actions in cutscenes that we might not make given the choice (]no, I don't want to stand with Lin. I want to stand with Elma and point my massive laser at Lao. It could still play out the same way and then make me feel bad for my choice.). I do understand why we couldn't be Elma though as she is an establish character who has her own backstory and secrets that wouldn't make sense for us to be her (I mean, at least with Shulk he didn't know them so it worked).

Also this has to get a sequel right? Like a direct sequel? No way they are just leaving it on database destroyed, we should have died when we crashed, Mira is magic, Lao and cloak man on beach vacation.

EDIT: Also holy shit at some of those post game Skell Super Weapons. Jesus. Those names.
EDIT2: removing spoiler bars because I forgot when I pasted it here first.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Congrats on finishing it. As many people have mentioned, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Very likely it's all going to be covered in part 2. I have not finished all of the side quests yet, so there is a possibility some questions are answered within the game.

I agree the story is not as good as xenoblade chronicles x, but I really like the sci-fi take. Definitely hoping the sequel to be more story centric.

I gotta say, for the first one, I only played through the story, didn't bother with the side quest as much. This one though, I am hooked on making end-game gear and skells.

So definitely gameplay-wise I like this one better.

Top Bottom