• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Twitter & Website updates thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofield

wait...

So people like DLC or they hate DLC?

Because on the few times there was 3rd party multiplats on WiiU, the biggest complain was "But there´s no DLC on wiiu! Why no Dlc? Why Nintendo? Are we just pawns in the game of life for you?"

And now... there´s a huge nintendo game...
And there´s DLC for it...
And suddenly you people dont like DLC anymore?

My take away is above all else a complete game (traditional Nintendo content) is better than a fragmented game (AC:III), but a fragmented game is better than an incomplete game (AC:BF)

At a subconscious level we fear Nintendo to not give us DLC like other companies, when in reality they are the ones spearheading a DLC model others should strive towards: post-game content developed after the game releases.

Overside

Banned
Operation rainfall only pertained to getting the game to the USA. It was already localised and released in Europe to decent success.

Success?
snob.jpg

I suppose you can consider that success.

But true success is measured by how many times gamestop tries to royally screw customers out of their money by selling through multiple later print runs that they opened up so they could sell them at a 'used' price of $70+ a pop instead of msrp.

DMiz

That's hardly confirmation of DLC itself. I guess we can say the evidence was there if they do end up confirming DLC, but I'm not ready to make that assumption yet. Let's wait and see.

EDIT: I see it now, says additional quests (fee), or something like that. I'm hopeful that quests are more interesting, but I'm not particularly interested in DLC...
I would hate if Nintendo pushed them to make DLC for this game just because. Ugh. Oh well, I guess we can see on Friday if they mention anything about online DLC.

I don't think it would be anything of too great importance. If they're still going along with the major gameplay flow as in the first Xenoblade, the quests are likely going to be throw-away stock objectives that give you more opportunities to earn rare drops and EXP.

Is it disappointing that they're going down this route? In a sense, yes. But, seeing as how Nintendo's been having trouble posting up good financial numbers with the WiiU, it also makes sense that they would take the time to use their flagging system to test out what works with their audiences, so that they can have a stronger showing with the DLC model the next time around.

rhandino

Banned
If this game supports DLC I could totally would give them my coins if they include and OST Pack, Costumes Packs and maybe a new continent or big location to explore.

TheMoon

You know, maybe we should wait until we know what this even is until we take it apart.

Would not be shocked if we learned about specifics on Friday in the Doll/Network presentation, since I think DLC quests makes a whole lot of sense for the online co-op component of the game. Otherwise, where is the long-term viability of that.

I don't think it would be anything of too great importance. If they're still going along with the major gameplay flow as in the first Xenoblade, the quests are likely going to be throw-away stock objectives that give you more opportunities to earn rare drops and EXP.

Is it disappointing that they're going down this route? In a sense, yes. But, seeing as how Nintendo's been having trouble posting up good financial numbers with the WiiU, it also makes sense that they would take the time to use their flagging system to test out what works with their audiences, so that they can have a stronger showing with the DLC model the next time around.

You know, with how good Monolith is about quality and content (I mean this game is already blowing us all away with sheer depth and variety), I hardly think DLC means they're skimping on the game in any way. Even if the DLC itself is terrible, we still have an AMAZING game when you look at virtually any aspect of it. If DLC is done right? It could add so much more. I don't think they'll simply 'settle' for traditional quests+items and stuff, I think they'll go a little bit beyond that and add new quest lines that are focused around online coop, but who knows how complex they'll be. I'm going to be reserved but slightly optimistic for now.

You know, maybe we should wait until we know what this even is until we take it apart.

Would not be shocked if we learned about specifics on Friday in the Doll/Network presentation, since I think DLC quests makes a whole lot of sense for the online co-op component of the game. Otherwise, where is the long-term viability of that.

And 100% agree. We have nothing to go on, AND we have an upcoming presentation, so some sort of information is imminent. If nothing else, we'll have better context from which to judge what type of role DLC may fill. Might as well wait 3 and a half days.

You know, with how good Monolith is about quality and content (I mean this game is already blowing us all away with sheer depth and variety), I hardly think DLC means they're skimping on the game in any way. Even if the DLC itself is terrible, we still have an AMAZING game when you look at virtually any aspect of it. If DLC is done right? It could add so much more. I don't think they'll simply 'settle' for traditional quests+items and stuff, I think they'll go a little bit beyond that and add new quest lines that are focused around online coop, but who knows how complex they'll be. I'm going to be reserved but slightly optimistic for now.

And 100% agree. We have nothing to go on, AND we have an upcoming presentation, so some sort of information is imminent. If nothing else, we'll have better context from which to judge what type of role DLC may fill. Might as well wait 3 and a half days.

oh hey you changed your avatar! I was wondering why you had that other one lol

Nanashrew

Banned
Success?
snob.jpg

I suppose you can consider that success.

But true success is measured by how many times gamestop tries to royally screw customers out of their money by selling through multiple later print runs that they opened up so they could sell them at a 'used' price of $70+ a pop instead of msrp.

lol. I at least got mine for like $50 or $60 (can't remember) thank's to Wario64's heads up on Gamestop sale one holiday. Oh and it was shrink wrapped :D

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I will gladly bend over and spread it for Monolithsoft, they showed me a good time, they earned it.

oh hey you changed your avatar! I was wondering why you had that other one lol

Well, I didn't have anything for a few months... and then I tried to find a very specific image of Peach, but couldn't find it [EDIT: I've found it. This is it. I think. My final avatar. Maybe.]. Settled for that b/c I thought it looked... good. It was a bit inappropriate I guess... :/ I just really like Peach (my main in Smash Bros), and there's some pretty good art out there.

I shall continue on my pursuit of the perfect avatar in the meantime. Maybe we'll have some real good stuff after Friday's Doll presentation.

LProtag

Do we know yet what weapon the Raygun is and what the Psycho Launcher is?

I'm assuming one is the gun that shoots a giant beam of light and the other is the one that looks like bits or funnels, but I'm not sure which is which.

If there interesting side stories I could see myself buying DLC, but it's just more generic quests then no. I didn't even do half of those in Xenoblade Chronicles, boring.

Do we know yet what weapon the Raygun is and what the Psycho Launcher is?

I'm assuming one is the gun that shoots a giant beam of light and the other is the one that looks like bits or funnels, but I'm not sure which is which.

Psycho Launchers are the bits/funnels. Rayguns are the giant guns that shoot rays (Doug used one in a couple shots, and he's holding one in his art:http://xenobladex.jp/character/images/img_chara11-02.png). Here's a few looks at a few other ones we saw in the Battle Direct: http://imgur.com/a/QmOWg

Also note Purified Mind Co. It seems (they said something about it iirc) that Psycho Launchers are actually controlled mentally somehow. Purified Mind Co. sounds like they would specialize in producing Psycho Launchers. There's some interesting stuff going on with the companies and equipment.

Here's some psycho launchers in action. So badass: http://gfycat.com/UnkemptEssentialDegu

Highwind

I will gladly bend over and spread it for Monolithsoft, they showed me a good time, they earned it.

Nope......not doing it. Nope.....not...doin....

fuck

image.php

Had to. :(

I don't mind DLC being in this game tbh. It'll already provide hundreds of hours worth of content.

Chaos17

wait...

So people like DLC or they hate DLC?

Because on the few times there was 3rd party multiplats on WiiU, the biggest complain was "But there´s no DLC on wiiu! Why no Dlc? Why Nintendo? Are we just pawns in the game of life for you?"

And now... there´s a huge nintendo game...
And there´s DLC for it...
And suddenly you people dont like DLC anymore?

Edit : this a dance that you must get used to when it comes to Nintendo.
People will not think twice before throwing tomatoes giving the opportunity.

LProtag

Psycho Launchers are the bits/funnels. Rayguns are the giant guns that shoot rays (Doug used one in a couple shots, and he's holding one in his art:http://xenobladex.jp/character/images/img_chara11-02.png). Here's a few looks at a few other ones we saw in the Battle Direct: http://imgur.com/a/QmOWg

Also note Purified Mind Co. It seems (they said something about it iirc) that Psycho Launchers are actually controlled mentally somehow. Purified Mind Co. sounds like they would specialize in producing Psycho Launchers. There's some interesting stuff going on with the companies and equipment.

Here's some psycho launchers in action. So badass: http://gfycat.com/UnkemptEssentialDegu

Ah, I didn't know someone had translated all the menus. So a Galaxy Knight gets to use those and Photon Sabers? I know what class I'm playing.

Ah, I didn't know someone had translated all the menus. So a Galaxy Knight gets to use those and Photon Sabers? I know what class I'm playing.

Yeah, Gessenkou from GameFAQs (also known as CAAAAAW with a red haired avatar) has been analyzing and translating for us for a while. He's amazing. iYakku partnered with him to sub the presentation videos in english too. The upcoming Doll Direct (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMLQ_zdl3w) will most probably be fully translated by the end of the weekend, depending on Gessenkou's schedule and if he's forced to mount any editorial horses. I posted the links to a playlist containing every video (so far), and Gessenkou's translations Doc below.

Also check out the official website (Xenobladex.jp) they have some AMAZING concept artwork in the gallery section. There's a bunch of videos scattered around too, but those are all covered between the playlist, and Gessenkou's website translation Doc. Here's all the music released on the website: https://app.box.com/s/svi2dfmeqya4ywhdzux5
And a music compendium analyzing every piece of music we've heard throughout all the trailers etc: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/71408055

Also, from what I know classes will be set up pretty cool. Your main character starts off as a Drifter, and can use knives/assault rifles. From there once you achieve a certain rank, you can upgrade your class into one of three: Assault, Command and Forcer, ranking up in these classes will let you further specialize into other classes. The way it'll work though is that each class has it's weapon specialties, and you'll unlock arts for those weapon types as you level/rank up. Once you've unlocked an art, you can actually switch to any other class, and STILL equip that art along with the corresponding weapon from different classes. That way once you've unlocked arts from a certain class that focuses on specific weapons, you can make 'hybrid' classes using whatever combination of weapon types you like. We also know there's something called 'weapon mastery', but not 100% sure what that is yet (maybe it's just unlocking all the arts for that weapon type).

We've also seen evidence that our party members aren't actually restricted to specific classes, but they may be unique hybrids, in a certain class but having different weapon specializations. I also THINK that party members may have their own unique arts that the MC CAN'T unlock and use. I've seen evidence for this, but we haven't seen every art yet so I can't be 100% sure.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyPBvfmuA_eVojCz1NwC8yUrsMo3kDdcn
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vmQ7tYhSygyO1V8STQ_N9pWGEppVJUvvHz4bCAk-hSg/pub

^Here's the chronological playlist, and Gessenkou's translation portal.
Most interesting things from the Doc would be the Treehouse information compilation (actually this may be relatively obsolete ever since they showed off the battle direct), The Official Website, and the short stories, Blade's formation is especially good, it's mostly background info for the premise, but it's very interesting and hints at a deep, detailed plot. You can view the Battle and Overview/Exploration information compilations if you want, but most of that information (besides some details) is in the videos themselves [which can be found in the playlist]. There's also an interview with Takahashi in the Famitsu article, and that was when they talked about the Unions as well, but besides that the article was mostly stuff we figured out or saw from the first 4 trailers.

That's pretty much it (but there's tons of details we've only figured out or reasoned are likely through discussion), at least until the Doll Direct this Friday!!!

Dr. Buni

I hope they find a way to give the main custom character a voice and life
Man, people sure love to complain about this game. I don't see people bitching about the Persona main characters being lifeless for being avatars, so why is that a bad thing in Xenocross? To each their own, but I am yet to play a RPG where a main character being an avatar to the player was detrimental to the game's quality. On the other hand, I can think of a few RPGs where a fully voiced protagonist completely ruined the experience. So while Shulk was a great character in the original Xenoblade, I can't see the change to an avatar protagonist as a bad thing.

Unsurprisingly, almost no one seem to complain about actual problematic stuff like skimpy outfits or "boob slider".

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DLC? Never thought I'd see that for a MonolithSoft game. Wonder what kind of quests... hopefully it's mostly for the multi-player stuff, since they didn't want to confirm it at E3 and that seems to be the last thing they want to talk about maybe it almost didn't make it.

jorgejjvr

Man, people sure love to complain about this game. I don't see people bitching about the Persona main characters being lifeless for being avatars, so why is that a bad thing in Xenocross? To each their own, but I am yet to play a RPG where a main character being an avatar to the player was detrimental to the game's quality. On the other hand, I can think of a few RPGs where a fully voiced protagonist completely ruined the experience. So while Shulk was a great character in the original Xenoblade, I can't see the change to an avatar protagonist as a bad thing.

Unsurprisingly, almost no one seem to complain about actual problematic stuff like skimpy outfits or "boob slider".
I was just pointing that out, mainly because I lovedddddddd shulk in xenoblade, and so I'm just a bit scared about the avatar. But regardless I know this will be an amazing game, it's my most hyped game and wanted game for this year, even if zelda was coming. But like I said, I loved shulk, I love his scenes, his voice actor, I loved when he got screen time and when he interacted with characters. So I am just a bit concerned that we are going to see the avatar just standing there lifeless, with no voice or personality. I just hope, if he doesn't talk, to at least maybe talk by text boxes or maybe through ncp conversational etc, something of the sort. For example, I love how fire emblem awakening had a custom avatar but he still got really developed and still interacted with the characters. Here's hoping this avatar is treated as a great main protagonist, that's all. I also hope he has a main name cause I don't want to name him myself xD

I can't wait for this game

Oh and I don't see how outfits or custom options, it's weird that you can choose boob size but whatever, it's a bad thing. They are just options you have, I don't see how that needs to bother anyone

DaBoss

Yea, he should only complain about stuff you consider problematic... He posted a valid concern about the avatar.

If you looked at the trailers and footage, the avatar is basically a side character. The game basically makes Elma the main character. Personally, I have no problems with that because I think Elma is a good character. I would probably play as her instead of the avatar.

The Persona games doesn't make your character some side character. They make your playable character feel important even though he/she doesn't talk. They are involved greatly in the scenes despite being mute.

If you don't like skimpy outfits, then don't wear them. It's as simple as that. That's what I'm going to do. And with the way equipment work in this game, I would imagine certain companies would focus on those types of equipment, so you can ignore those companies easily if that's the case. The argument of whether they should exist in the game or not is an entirely different matter. You aren't forced to wear it. And I don't think a "boob slider" is considered problematic for a customizable character.

Zero²

At least Elma has a incredibly badass personality, so just say she is the main character? It's not like it makes a whole lot of difference, since you can directly control her.
I personally like Lyn more, even if it's just for her relationship with Tatsu :)

jorgejjvr

Yea, he should only complain about stuff you consider problematic... He posted a valid concern about the avatar.

If you looked at the trailers and footage, the avatar is basically a side character. The game basically makes Elma the main character. Personally, I have no problems with that because I think Elma is a good character. I would probably play as her instead of the avatar.

The Persona games doesn't make your character some side character. They make your playable character feel important even though he/she doesn't talk. They are involved greatly in the scenes despite being mute.

If you don't like skimpy outfits, then don't wear them. It's as simple as that. That's what I'm going to do. And with the way equipment work in this game, I would imagine certain companies would focus on those types of equipment, so you can ignore those companies easily if that's the case. The argument of whether they should exist in the game or not is an entirely different matter. You aren't forced to wear it. And I don't think a "boob slider" is considered problematic for a customizable character.
Pretty much agree with everything. And again, having loved shulk as a main character, I was looking forward to another rich protagonist. That being said, I hope the trailers is just fooling everyone and that the main character actually comes alive in the game. I guess we'll see, only a few days till it comes out in Japan, lucky people!

Fandangox

Pretty much agree with everything. And again, having loved shulk as a main character, I was looking forward to another rich protagonist. That being said, I hope the trailers is just fooling everyone and that the main character actually comes alive in the game. I guess we'll see, only a few days till it comes out in Japan, lucky people!

I highly doubt the MC will be voiced, would be way too much money to have all those voice actors to voice the MC for the entirety of the game.

I liked Shulk, but what I will miss most is the unique banter that sometimes appeared at the end of a fight and changed depending on your team members.

jorgejjvr

I highly doubt the MC will be voiced, would be way too much money to have all those voice actors to voice the MC for the entirety of the game.

I liked Shulk, but what I will miss most is the unique banter that sometimes appeared at the end of a fight and changed depending on your team members.
Well I don't think he will be voiced, but maybe they can find ways around that it's what I am hoping, best example I have is Robin from Fire emblem, he was custom but was still his own character. Hopefully they find a balance with Cross in this game, maybe he will have character interactions outside of cut scenes, here's hoping. I am being as optimistic about this as I can. I have no doubts the game will be a masterpiece regardless

Edit: I see dlc talk, is dlc confirmed for this game?? Also, has there been any footage of online play and how all that works??

Fandangox

Well I don't think he will be voiced, but maybe they can find ways around that it's what I am hoping, best example I have is Robin from Fire emblem, he was custom but was still his own character. Hopefully they find a balance with Cross in this game, maybe he will have character interactions outside of cut scenes, here's hoping. I am being as optimistic about this as I can. I have no doubts the game will be a masterpiece regardless

Edit: I see dlc talk, is dlc confirmed for this game?? Also, has there been any footage of online play and how all that works??

I think there was a picture of a Xenoblade X 1000 points card with mention of downloadable quests, but we don't know what the DLC will be at this point.

Also we probably have seen footage of online, but if we have they haven't explicitly stated that it was online. I recall people thinking the footage from an old nintendo direct of the party entering the dolls and splitting up near a hill was discussed as possibly being online, due to the movements of the team members.

jorgejjvr

I think there was a picture of a Xenoblade X 1000 points card with mention of downloadable quests, but we don't know what the DLC will be at this point.

Also we probably have seen footage of online, but if we have they haven't explicitly stated that it was online. I recall people thinking the footage from an old nintendo direct of the party entering the dolls and splitting up near a hill was discussed as possibly being online, due to the movements of the team members.
Awesome, I'll would love to be able to do 4 players online quests with gaf!!

Someone linked this gif, I think it was made by a Japanese forum user.

Please watch the gif before reading my spoiler summary. The gif is so much better the first time you see it.
WARNING: Please tape your jaw onto your face for your own safety before viewing. I am not responsible for any injury resulting from this gif.

http://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedOblongEstuarinecrocodile

Basically, the footage of the Hopper Camera zooming out on top of the characters, placed over the official map, and zoomed out. Effing Brilliant.

TheMoon

Please watch the gif before reading my spoiler summary. The gif is so much better the first time you see it.

Basically, the footage of the Hopper Camera zooming out on top of the characters, placed over the official map, and zoomed out. Effing Brilliant.

Well, guess what goes into the Import OT :D

chadboban

My jaw dropped. Brilliant work by whoever made it!

Effect

this game is coming out in 3 weeks in Japan

wow it's so soon

I really hope Nintendo doesn't screw the rest of the world over by making us wait to long. It's clear Xenoblade Chronicles did better overseas then it did in Japan. That's in the face of how badly they handled the publishing and the time they waited to even release the game. There is no justification for making the wait time between the Japanese release and western release long. If anything Europe and the Americas should have gotten the game first.

I also agree with this. Your playable character being a side character is what has worried me from the start of hearing it was going to be fully customizable.

Chaos17

Are we jumping at conclusion here, only because we didn't saw any real dialogs and just some drop/extract of them ?
No one knew before playing how Persona 3 was going to handle the mute hero. The trailer didn't showed at all the choices or social links.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85-Obx9iE8

TheMoon

I really hope Nintendo doesn't screw the rest of the world over by making us wait to long. It's clear Xenoblade Chronicles did better overseas then it did in Japan. That's in the face of how badly they handled the publishing and the time they waited to even release the game. There is no justification for making the wait time between the Japanese release and western release long. If anything Europe and the Americas should have gotten the game first.

Except for the fact that this game is massive and localization is still a thing that is done by humans. The only option is artificially holding it back from releasing in Japan which is crazy.

Xenoboy

I don't really see what the problem is with the custom character.
Having it talk during battle would be enough, wouldn't it?
I like to think of it as me joining in on the adventure, instead of me leading it. We also don't how big of a role the avatar has, so it could go either way.

Effect

Except for the fact that this game is massive and localization is still a thing that is done by humans. The only option is artificially holding it back from releasing in Japan which is crazy.

Or making sure it's being started much sooner while the game is still in development. Nintendo has their own damn internal localization department in NoA, NoE, and likely NCL. They don't have to send the game out to an external studio like 8-4 after the game is done. They were fully capable of doing a world wide release for Pokemon X & Y. This is something completely within Nintendo's power and capability.

I also agree with this. Your playable character being a side character is what has worried me from the start of hearing it was going to be fully customizable.

We know for a fact Elma isn't the main character, MC is indeed the main character and he has relationships with other characters that Elma herself doesn't have. The key point is that your character is central to the kizunagram/affinity chart: http://i.imgur.com/CKODGQK.png

The MC is fully voiced in battle, so we know he's going to participate vocally in those, including all the banter during involved. It's not clear how much he'll be voiced in the game itself, it might be nothing, it might be a few lines... but I'm pretty confident they'll make him feel relatively involved in story and cutscenes. It is a little bit concerning for sure, making a customizable character has repercussions on the way the story will be told so concerns aren't unfounded at ALL, but I think we're all considering worst case scenario compared to best-case scenario. I think it'll be a little bit in the middle of that. It'll be better than a useless character, but he's almost certainly not going to get the same script Elma is going to get. That said I think he will have unique story lines partially revolving around him. We'll just have to see.

Or making sure it's being started much sooner while the game is still in development. Nintendo has their own damn internal localization department in NoA, NoE, and likely NCL. They don't have to send the game out to an external studio like 8-4 after the game is done. They were fully capable of doing a world wide release for Pokemon X & Y. This is something completely within Nintendo's power and capability.

This game has probably upwards of 25 times the scripting and translation work Pokemon needs (this is an inaccurate estimate needless to say, but I think you're underestimating Xenoblade X's sheer amount of text/scripting, and overestimating Pokemon in comparison), add to that fully voicing everything, and that's a heck of a lot of work. Pokemon is a pretty damn terrible comparison. They first indicated they were almost done the game and entering the last stages of production.... sometime ago. The game is developed primarily in Japanese so they need to start translation with outside teams after scripting is finalized, who know when that was?

Anyways, since then, we've gotten indications localization is well underway. Nintendo's internal teams have had the game for at LEAST about 1 year at this point (last year @E3). They'd have definitely started translation of the script soon after (assuming it was finalized by then), we've seen a subbed trailer since then in January. I'm guessing they're trying to finish up recording the voice acting for english, and they're working on finishing up the game with all the translations implemented. I'm still pining for an August release, but we'll just have to see. There's no way we can really get an entirely accurate picture of the localization process, but this game is a damn huge undertaking, and having it within 6 months of the Japanese release would be damn impressive considering how long other JRPGs take to go through the same process. Perhaps after this game Monolith will expand and gain the expertise to be able to undertake more of the translation internally, and give us English releases faster.

TheMoon

And yet I doubt they're sitting there, twiddling their thumbs.

In regards to the previous gif I posted (http://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedOblongEstuarinecrocodile)

Here's a more accurate size comparison that you can actually see :p
Take the map: http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2015-02-06-20dpb98.png
Take the original footage: https://youtu.be/kjTzuqyQZlc?t=12m10s

Observe closely, cross-reference notable landmarks/geographic details... Overlay image as accurately as possible. Here's the furthest zoom from the Hopper Camera: http://i.imgur.com/9fehmyU.jpg
Here's an image with the boxed in area represented by the furthest zoom from above: http://i.imgur.com/GOUhHpV.png

You'll notice there is some distortion when viewing the image from the Hopper Camera zoomed out, the map is a flat perspective from above, while in the zoomed out map there is visual depth, and that perception is a little bit strange to gauge accurately. I did my best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom