• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Twitter & Website updates thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015-04-2114_15_52-fazdql2.png

uhy.gif

OAlLOgL.png

Not enough money shovelled towards Famitsu? Nintendo plz.

EhoaVash

Yes !! I loved xenoblade for its story and exploration. The long cutscenes make me happy.
<3 Japanese melodrama

Anyway I'm glad it isn't tutorial heavy either.

One thing I am disappointed though from reading that article ... You can't get your mech/doll license until chapter 8 :(

"Games these days are too handholdy and too easy."
-> Game delivers deep stat systems and hours of exploration
"It's too difficult and nothing gets explained."

*Lynlee face*

It's Famitsu though, it shouldn't be taken seriously but yea.

Shahadan

Probably subjective.
It lacks everything I liked in the first Xenoblade except the free roaming, and as far as I'm concerned from what I've seen, music and art direction are worse.

I can't say about story, but the bits of cutscenes we've seen and their direction make me want to run the other way."Overly long movies" are not surprising either.
It reeks of wanting to shove way too much in there to impress. I don't like that, it never goes well.

It's an Other M/FFXIII situation for me since day one, like you're happy it's announced and then everything you see is not appealing at all and smells like shit.

It'll probably be a great game though, maybe even a betterly crafted one, just not one that I'll like as much. I believe people will like it less too, once all is said and done.

Google Translate makes a big mess out of the Dengeki Review, but if this particular sentence is right, it seems like they've found the game pretty easy to play:

By the way, the basic system is the same as the "Xenoblade Chronicles", but it has become easier to play more then fine part is evolution.

It seems like they are talking about the combat here, but I don't see anything that suggest the game as a whole is too complex for it's own good.

Fandangox

Google Translate makes a big mess out of the Dengeki Review, but if this particular sentence is right, it seems like they've found the game pretty easy to play:

It seems like they are talking about the combat here, but I don't see anything that suggest the game as a whole is too complex for it's own good.

Man the first Xenoblade was already too easy with the combat..

Hopefully its not all that easy and these reviewers are just good lol

Highwind

Xenoblade was also rated lower than the entire FF13 trilogy and Tales of Xillia (which is one of the weakes mothership titles). I consider it to be a a much better game than games from the 13 trilogy and Xillia so I'm not going to think about the score here too much. Famitsu is not reliable.

wmlk

Xenoblade was also rated lower than the entire FF13 trilogy and Tales of Xillia (which is one of the weakes mothership titles). I consider it to be a a much better game than games from the 13 trilogy and Xillia so I'm not going to think about the score here too much. Famitsu is not reliable.

I mean, it is their opinion at the end of the day. It's OK to like those games. Their reviews add up to the aggregate score and this hurts it.

Scores for different games are always going to be weird if we're looking at individual reviewers. I trust GameTrailers' reviews but they scored The Order: 1886 highly which irked some people.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Probably subjective.
It lacks everything I liked in the first Xenoblade except the free roaming, and as far as I'm concerned from what I've seen, music and art direction are worse.

I can't say about story, but the bits of cutscenes we've seen and their direction make me want to run the other way."Overly long movies" are not surprising either.
It reeks of wanting to shove way too much in there to impress. I don't like that, it never goes well.

It's an Other M/FFXIII situation for me since day one, like you're happy it's announced and then everything you see is not appealing at all and smells like shit.

It'll probably be a great game though, maybe even a betterly crafted one, just not one that I'll like as much. I believe people will like it less too, once all is said and done.

Ok, Thanks for explanation and sorry for asking. "I want to hate it" would be also a good answer. (I understand the music part though)

Rion

For a game like this, if it can't get at least 36 from Famitsu, it's probably not gonna sell much, even for a Wii U game.

aravuus

I don't get this reliability nonsense that comes up every time someone's future favorite game gets "low" scores. It's their opinion, what's reliable or not reliable about it? I'd say only high scores could be unreliable, since they could have been bought.

9/9/8/8 is a great score.

Ok, Thanks for explanation and sorry for asking. "I want to hate it" would be also a good answer. (I understand the music part though)

I legit want to hate it cause if XBX turns out to be fantastic, I'm gonna have to get a Wii U just for this one game.

jk
.............. or am i????

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Famitsu is made fun of in every damn reviews thread. Suddenly they are relevant?

Edit: Check the reviews for Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China. And check the review from Famitsu for it. Yeah, that's how relevant Famitsu is.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't get this reliability nonsense that comes up every time someone's future favorite game gets "low" scores. It's their opinion, what's reliable or not reliable about it? I'd say only high scores could be unreliable, since they could have been bought.

9/9/8/8 is a great score.

Famitsu is known for taking money in exchange for high scores.

Shahadan

....okay well, more like "I don't want to hate it" since I'm buying it and will probably have fun.
Gameplay will be cool and I'll probably hate everything else. Wouldn't be the first time, KH2 was a similar case of a better game than its predecessor that was still less enjoyable for many people for the same reasons.

Vena

9/9/8/8 Famitsu

negative point are "overly long movies" and "system lack of explanation"

That score matches my expectations more or less, though I was more expecting it to be a 9/9/9/9 as per the predecessor. That said, I expect this to also score lower in the west than its predecessor's 91. I am expecting mid-80s.

That said, "system lack of explanation" is an odd quibble since we're in a day and age where Dark Souls scores highly. >.>

Fandangox

....okay well, more like "I don't want to hate it" since I'm buying it and will probably have fun.
Gameplay will be cool and I'll probably hate everything else. Wouldn't be the first time, KH2 was a similar case of a better game than its predecessor that was still less enjoyable for many people for the same reasons.

You said you dislike everything about this game, but loved Xenoblade? Aside from the silent MC, everything seems to be just the same as Xenoblade, the main difference being the change in direction from Fantasy to Sci-Fi. Now if the setting is part of what you dislike so much, I can understand, but mechanically everything seems to be pretty much the same except improved.

Except the music

Vena

I really hope people aren't going to lose their shit over a score that is actually quite good.

If nothing else, it makes me wonder how it will review in the west, and also, generally, makes me wonder how word of mouth would treat it. Had it comes flying out of the gates with a 40/40 I'd have had hopes for the latter at least. :p

Now we must wait for the impressions to start rolling in!

That score matches my expectations more or less, though I was more expecting it to be a 9/9/9/9 as per the predecessor. That said, I expect this to also score lower in the west than its predecessor's 91. I am expecting mid-80s.

That said, "system lack of explanation" is an odd quibble since we're in a day and age where Dark Souls scores highly. >.>

for me to trust western scores they would need review copies 6 weeks before writing a review

300 hours will hurt the score anyway this is not Scrolls or the Witcher so not expecting high praise hype from the media

Chaos17

Quite taken back by Famitsu's scores. I thought it will score higher.

There is chance that the game take too much time to review.
The dev talked about 200 hours gameplay and 30 hours of story.
If the reviewer only sticked to the story it may explain the score.

Why I am saying this ?
Fantasy Life (mini Skyrim) got either average or bad scores (in the west) because the heart of the game was outside of the story. But the the reviewers didn't saw it since they didn't tried to explore. Me and others players really got angry at this because they did a half faced job. I would never beleive anymore reviewers before I play the game myself!

Why I am saying this ?
Fantasy Life got either average or bad scores (in the west) because the heart of the game was outside of the story. But the the reviewers didn't saw it since they didn't tried to explore. Me and others players really got angry at this because they did a half faced job. I would never beleive anymore reviewers before I play the game myself!

That might probably be the case. Plus the complaints about it being 'too complicated' might come from not taking the time to explore and do sidequests, which would normally help in building skills and levelling up, like the first Xenoblade (where you'd hit a difficulty spike at a certain point if you never bothered to level up from sidequests or learn to play with other characters).

Why I am saying this ?
Fantasy Life got either average or bad scores (in the west) because the heart of the game was outside of the story. But the the reviewers didn't saw it since they didn't tried to explore.

Yeah, people better get their minds ready for the review scores. Don't expect anything great since there isn't a lot of major reviewers that can do this kind of game justice. Just be happy if you can enjoy the game.

Fandangox

lol please guys don't lose it over a FAMITSU score of all things, let alone one that is actually good -__-

But what about what they said in the review? I really cannot believe combat would easier than the first game, I would hope so at least. Quote doesn't make it clear if combat is simplified or if the enemies are less of a challenge, but either does not sound good.

Vena

lol please guys don't lose it over a FAMITSU score of all things, let alone one that is actually good -__-

Its not perfect. How can that be good? We live in an age where all WiiU software (major) must score at least an 88 in Metacritic, otherwise it is hot garbage!

But what about what they said in the review? I really cannot believe combat would easier than the first game, I would hope so at least.

The combat seems identical.

Shahadan

You said you dislike everything about this game, but loved Xenoblade? Aside from the silent MC, everything seems to be just the same as Xenoblade, the main difference being the change in direction from Fantasy to Sci-Fi. Now if the setting is part of what you dislike so much, I can understand, but mechanically everything seems to be pretty much the same except improved.

Except the music

Gameplay and mechanics seem fine to me, which is why I'll probably enjoy it for that.
It's just that everything else feels like it would lessen my enjoyment of the package.

Like, Other M, KH2 and FFXIII are good examples. I was fine with the parts where you actually play but I really dislike the narrative trying to be something that it's not and the overall overdesigned art direction both really hindered my enjoyment of the whole thing.

They all felt like a dumb friend harassing you for hours trying to convince you he is smart. It was nice seeing you dude I had fun today, but overall once I'm at home I'm sighing in relief and in hindsight I should have done something else.

Basically if most of the game is more like the last part of Xenoblade rather than its first half, I won't have a good time.
(I'm trying to be understood, not to shit on a game I want anyway.)

Fandangox

The combat seems identical.

Well we've seen the videos, so we know how the combat is, so is the reviewer talking about the challenge?

Gameplay and mechanics seem fine to me, which is why I'll probably enjoy it for that.
It's just that everything else feels like it would lessen my enjoyment of the package.

Like, Other M, KH2 and FFXIII are good examples. I was fine with the parts where you actually play but I really dislike the narrative trying to be something that it's not and the overall overdesigned art direction both really hindered my enjoyment of the whole thing.

They all felt like a dumb friend harassing you for hours trying to convince you he is smart. It was nice seeing you dude I had fun today, but overall once I'm at home I'm sighing in relief and in hindsight I should have done something else.

Basically if most of the game is more like the last part of Xenoblade rather than its first half, I won't have a good time.
(I'm trying to be understood, not to shit on a game I want anyway.)

Actually the last part is probably an accurate way of seeing this, I didn't like much the ending sections of the story compared to the beginnings, but I don't know comparing it to Other M seems too much. Other M got everything wrong, not just the story. But art and storywise this has a different direction from XC so yeah I can get that.

im so fucking ready for this game

all I care about this year is Battlefront and X now

edit: lmfao at people taking Famitsu scores seriously

chadboban

But what about what they said in the review? I really cannot believe combat would easier than the first game, I would hope so at least. Quote doesn't make it clear if combat is simplified or if the enemies are less of a challenge, but either does not sound good.

The quote you read was from the Google translated Dengeki review, not the Famitsu one. The only negatives we have from the famitsu one are "overly long movies" and "system lack of explanation".

Fandangox

The quote you read was from the Google translated Dengeki review, not the Famitsu one. The only negatives we have from the famitsu one are "overly long movies" and "system lack of explanation".

Guess I will just wait for impressions from people that play this to see if combat is easier, I am getting this game anyway though.

rjinaz

What Famitsu rates the game doesn't interest me much. I'm far more interested in what Western reviewers think. That being said, 85 percent is a good score and a good start. Also, this game is right up my alley (which it may not be for many that review it) so at the end of the day the only impression of the game I care about, is my own.

Laconic

Banned
Does anyone have translations for the scores?

I am curious as to the thought processes and reasoning given.

Knowing what lead to the scores (bribes and/or lack thereof aside) would provide a basis from which to either tentatively agree with or reject the scores.

Without such, I am of a mind to dismiss them as bought, outright

...because Famitsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom