• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X Eurogamer Preview: Maybe 2015's Most Impressive Open World

jonno394

Limited editions are the same throughout Europe and yeah nearly all games feature all language options.

Some 3DS cartridges do the one language thing such as Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven and the Louvre Museum guide.

Yeah the latter is what got me asking as that's usually because of space issues on disc, and as we know, there are space issues on disc for Xenoblade Chronicles X (I believeve - hence the download packs?), but I doubt they're doing separate pressings for each country....UK site specifically states English, but I'm sure I can see multiple languages on the FR website.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Quick-Watermelon-Eat.gif

TI82

Banned
Watching the giantbomb quick look, great graphics and framerate (except in the city where it seems iffy). Exploration is super cool lots to explore. Even the VA is awesome this time unlike xenoblade chronicles.

But man, that combat. It's just so awful. I'm gonna try it as a ranged fighter maybe it will be better but I just highly doubt it. Oh well, still excited for release day had it preordered for a while. Expecting high 70s on metacritic.

Also are the "Ma-non" part of the NDA? Since every time they come across them the video player is just like "nope skip them"

Aside from the insanely bloated length, the combat was probably the weakest part of XC for me. It doesn't look like they changed it much, but who knows, it may feel better for whatever reason.

Nightbird

I'm gonna make the Review thread if anyone wants. I did already prepared a Banner for it (even if it's lnot that good hahaha)

It's gonna be up in around 30 Minutes

Watching the giantbomb quick look, great graphics and framerate (except in the city where it seems iffy). Exploration is super cool lots to explore. Even the VA is awesome this time unlike xenoblade chronicles.

But man, that combat. It's just so awful. I'm gonna try it as a ranged fighter maybe it will be better but I just highly doubt it. Oh well, still excited for release day had it preordered for a while. Expecting high 70s on metacritic.

Also are the "Ma-non" part of the NDA? Since every time they come across them the video player is just like "nope skip them"

What would you consider good conbat. Like whatis your baseline?

TI82

Banned
What would you consider good conbat. Like whatis your baseline?

I thought it was going to be kind of like monster hunter when I first tried the xenoblade chronicles game on Wii since I tried to avoid too much video of the game to contain the hype. Or maybe like Kingdom Hearts.

You know you want the game, so why even care what the reviews say?

Why wouldn't he take reviews into account? I sure am given how boring I found the side quests to be in the first title, mixed with a story that fell flat for me and merely decent combat. If this game is more of the same in that regard, it's going to convince me to hold off and grab it used down the line—maybe. The art direction (characters aside) is fantastic and I really want to like it, but I can't justify spending money on it if the reviews confirm that what I most disliked about Xenoblade Chronicles is still present in X. Reviews can be extremely useful in helping one make informed purchases.

jorgejjvr

My biggest fear is the majority of the reviews will say something along the lines of : "Beautiful, gigantic world with absolutely nothing interesting to do in it."
I'm also worried for 'the creatures just stand there and do nothing'

Both of which are not true

I'm afraid the game might be too much or too hardcore for some reviewers lol

jorgejjvr

Why wouldn't he take reviews into account? I sure am given how boring I found the side quests to be in the first title, mixed with a story that fell flat for me and merely decent combat. If this game is more of the same in that regard, it's going to convince me to hold off and grab it used down the line—maybe. The art direction (characters aside) is fantastic and I really want to like it, but I can't justify spending money on it if the reviews confirm that what I most disliked about Xenoblade Chronicles is still present in X. Reviews can be extremely useful in helping one make informed purchases.
I guess everything is different for different folks

Didn't find the side quests boring, plus if you were going out of your way to do every side quests you were doing it wrong

The story was masterful in my opinion

And the game play was extremely smart, fun, and rewarding

I thought it was going to be kind of like monster hunter when I first tried the xenoblade chronicles game on Wii since I tried to avoid too much video of the game to contain the hype. Or maybe like Kingdom Hearts.

MH has great combat (all it really has is combat :p ) but I couldnt imagine a game this big functioning like that. KH . . . Well that isn't what I would call good combat but to each his own. With RPGs I just expect ok combat so as long as we get that I'm golden. Personally though, post game Xenoblade actually has prrtty good enemy encounters that require some planning if you don't over level yourself. Especially the super bosses.

Why wouldn't he take reviews into account? I sure am given how boring I found the side quests to be in the first title, coupled with a story that fell flat for me and merely decent combat. If this game is more of the same in that regard, it's going to convince me to hold off and grab it used down the line—maybe. The art direction (characters aside) is fantastic and I really want to like it, but I can't justify spending money on it if the reviews confirm that what I most disliked about Xenoblade Chronicles is still present in X. Reviews can be extremely useful in helping one make informed purchases.

You don't need reviews to tell you that. Pretty much all that info bar the story was available around E3.

chadboban

If the colours weren't so washed out and the characters weren't anime dolls, it would look a lot better.

I agree about the faces somewhat but I've gotten used to them pretty quickly, as for the colors, I actually like that Monolithsoft decided to go with more earthy tones for the color palette in this game. Helps to set it apart from it's spiritual predecessor. Plus, it does have a nice amount of color as well. At least to me anyway.

qf0c9Sf.jpg

zvgaMve.jpg

dOn0PCf.jpg

sjks9ub.jpg

EXiyuRf.jpg

TI82

Banned
MH has great combat (all it really has is combat :p ) but I couldnt imagine a game this big functioning like that. KH . . . Well that isn't what I would call good combat but to each his own. With RPGs I just expect ok combat so as long as we get that I'm golden. Personally though, post game Xenoblade actually has prrtty good enemy encounters that require some planning if you don't over level yourself. Especially the super bosses.

It's just so dull in xenoblade, its like mmo games which are boring to me as well for their combat. Feels more like managing effects than actually battling. Or even a turn based system would be better lol.

aravuus

KH . . . Well that isn't what I would call good combat but to each his own.

Have you played KH2 FM+?

It's just so dull in xenoblade, its like mmo games which are boring to me as well for their combat. Feels more like managing effects than actually battling. Or even a turn based system would be better lol.

I agree, but I learned to enjoy XB's combat for what it is, so I'm sure I'll be fine with XBX at least for a couple of dozen hours. Just a bit afraid I'll get bored of the combat far before I get even close to finishing the game.

TI82

Banned
Have you played KH2 FM+?

I agree, but I learned to enjoy XB's combat for what it is, so I'm sure I'll be fine with XBX at least for a couple of dozen hours. Just a bit afraid I'll get bored of the combat far before I get even close to finishing the game.

Yes to final mix, so good. And yeah it plays just like mmos with just the auto attack. Wish it just let you attack like a regular action game and have the cool down stuff too. Just a very unsatisfying combat system for something that you spend so much time doing. From what I remember xenogears and saga were better so I dunno what happened. Even phantasy star has similar combat but much better.

aravuus

Yes. Not to turn this into a different topic all together. JRPGs in general dont really have great combat imo (including Xenoblade) but its usually serviceable enough that I am inclined to play through them (usually 100+ hours)

Huh. I obviously understand not liking it - like you said, each to their own. It's a fantastic combat system, though, and most people recognize it as such, even if they don't like it. Hell, it's a JRPG that you can actually finish on level 1, even on the highest difficulties - I think that alone says a lot.

But yeah, I'm no here to derail the thread or anything!

Diffense

The open map and 3D movement can be deceptive but it's a pretty traditional JRPG combat. It's like ATB (active time battle) if each technique/"art" is considered a character. Character positioning sometimes matters but that's secondary. If you were expecting something else it's sort of like thinking a glass has orange juice and getting a mouthful of water instead. That's the worst tasting water ever.

thematic

does the skell / mech can transform like in the early trailer?

can't wait to play this game. I bought Wii U just for this game.

If you don't like managing effects I understamd why you didn't like it. I found it minimally more engaging than older FF games where you spam your strongest attack over and over haha. For reference my favourite RPG combat is the world ends with you and the one I think had the nost potential was Parasite Eve.

TI82

Banned
The open map and 3D movement can be deceptive but it's a pretty traditional JRPG combat. It's like ATB (active time battle) if each technique/"art" is considered a character. Character positioning sometimes matters but that's secondary. If you were expecting something else it's sort of like thinking a glass has orange juice and getting a mouthful of water instead. That's the worst tasting water ever.
Yeah, if it wasn't for the mecha I probably wouldn't even bother with xenoblade x. One thing that really bothers me about xenoblade style combat is that it isn't really based on skill but almost completely on stats. Like on giantbomb he's in a cave and comes across a level 40 monster and runs away from it leaving a big wall between them. In an action based game the monster wouldn't attack him since he's got a physical wall between them. But since it's xenoblade style his attack goes through a wall and hurts the mc killing him. It just makes it really static I guess?

If you don't like managing effects I understamd why you didn't like it. I found it minimally more engaging than older FF games where you spam your strongest attack over and over haha. For reference my favourite RPG combat is the world ends with you and the one I think had the nost potential was Parasite Eve.
World ends with you was cool, parasite eve I haven't played.

Huh. I obviously understand not liking it - like you said, each to their own. It's a fantastic combat system, though, and most people recognize it as such, even if they don't like it. Hell, it's a JRPG that you can actually finish on level 1, even on the highest difficulties - I think that alone says a lot.

But yeah, I'm no here to derail the thread or anything!

You can finish a lot of RPGs at low levels if you know what you're doing. I dont really consider that the mark of a good combat system. Like I said, I dont really think its that good. I'm replayig through the KH titles though so we'll see how I feel after revisiting.

Not here to derail though. We'll leave it alone.

aravuus

Man I hope the world is littered with treasure chests with all kinds of unique shit. Exploring for exploring's sake is fun too, but it's even more rewarding when reaching a cool spot also gives you new stuff

Top Bottom