• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X Localization Changes for Character Models

Beth Cyra

I'm ok with this. Having a bust slider is really weird when you think about it. You don't have a dick slider for guys. Let's focus on a great story with interesting characters and not on the female's tit size.
It's very easy to see a large busted woman chest in day to day and they ar just as interesting as small busted women.

Eolz

rated T for treehoused

Should have been first post, will get a lot of use in the future I guess...

It's censored, in a way that the word has been used for for at least several decades. The word is not exclusively used for *government* censorship and has not been used only for that in a long, long time, if it ever was. It's okay to use the word. We don't need to stop using the word because some people can't come to terms with the fact that they're okay with it or outright advocate it.

I completely agree but it was a good choice from the OP. We've already lost several pages of fake debates about what is censorship and can focus on the topic.

It's censored, in a way that the word has been used for for at least several decades. The word is not exclusively used for *government* censorship and has not been used only for that in a long, long time, if it ever was. It's okay to use the word. We don't need to stop using the word because some people can't come to terms with the fact that they're okay with it or outright advocate it.

Truth.

styl3s

Because dicks aren't visible in normal clothing...?
You could have a crotch bulge slider.

Although none of these changes bother me i understand people are into the fan service stuff and i don't understand why they can't just please both sides by allowing people who want that to enable it via a option in the menu.

Dark_castle

I'm ok with this. Having a bust slider is really weird when you think about it. You don't have a dick slider for guys. Let's focus on a great story with interesting characters and not on the female's tit size.

The difference is the dicks are all hidden from view anyway, while the breast are naturally hanging on frontal area of the female body, and outfits can look different depending on its shapes and sizes. And for female player who wanted to increase immersion by adjusting their ingame character to appear as close to themselves as possible, the slider is there as an option.

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me, if I'm being honest. I mean, I understand that some of you feel restricted or censored, but is it really taking anything away from your enjoyment of the game.

If your happiness with the game depends on looking at a prepubescent girl in a bikini or adjusting a woman's bust size, then I think you may need to step back from video games for a bit.

Yukinari

attachment.php

I guess Treehouse arent true breast lovers.

Fencedude

You could have a crotch bulge slider.

Although none of these changes bother me i understand people are into the fan service stuff and i don't understand why they can't just please both sides by allowing people who want that to enable it via a option in the menu.

Or they could just have the slider, normally, and not be terrified over the very idea of flatchested ladies.

This is actually ASTOUNDINGLY sexist mindset.

The issue here isn't so much the large sizes, since the existing size is decently large, its that declaring that smaller breast sizes are wrong somehow.

The difference is the dicks are all hidden from view anyway, while the breast are naturally hanging on frontal area of the female body, and outfits can look different depending on its shapes and sizes. And for female player who wanted to increase immersion by adjusting their ingame character to appear as close to themselves as possible, the slider is there as an option.
In the western version of the game, the female protagonist binds her breasts. Done.

Beth Cyra

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me, if I'm being honest. I mean, I understand that some of you feel restricted or censored, but is it really taking anything away from your enjoyment of the game.

If your happiness with the game depends on looking at a prepubescent girl in a bikini or adjusting a woman's bust size, then I think you may need to step back from video games for a bit.
Pointing out a dumb choice and saying its bullshit is different then ruining ones happiness, every few people who are agitated at this will have their happiness ruined as a whole.

Or they could just have the slider, normally, and not be terrified over the very idea of flatchested ladies.

The issue here isn't so much the large sizes, since the existing size is decently large, its that declaring that smaller breast sizes are wrong somehow.

I agree, what the hell, there are girls with different chest sizes but lol Nintendo.

Why in the world would you ascribe "they don't like flatchested women" as motive when it's far more likely that it was simply a matter of deciding that a breast-size slider simply didn't feel appropriate for the non-Japanese version of the game?

chadboban

The "recreating Lin" excuse kinda makes no sense. What is there about removing the breast slider that prevents someone from making Lin? Lin doesn't exactly have giant boobs and you still have a height slider. So I'm not really understanding the point people are making with that one.

That being said, I don't mind it not being there. Although it sucks for people who would've wanted a female avatar with a smaller chest.

HNNNNG

who do I pick

Christina Vee
Kate Higgins
Erin Fitzergald

can I change voices any time I want? probably not :(

If I was gonna make a female character, I'd choose Fitzgerald. I'm so glad she isn't doing her annoying 'Chie' voice.
She used it before Chie, but eh, Chie.

Jakoo

This is the first localization issue with this game that strikes me as odd. I understand you could "abuse" a breast size slider to "oversexualize" a PC but I dunno; I feel like if you are trying to create a PC that looks like yourself for example, this is a part of human anatomy that you should have the ability to configure.

I also wonder if only the slider is dummied out or are all female avatar models now identical? It is going to make playing with larger and smaller breasted Japanese peers a little weird otherwise. Unless of course the online aspects are region locked.

Let's do another Operation Rainfall asking Nintendo of America to reverse the censorship of both Fatal Frame and Xenobalde X, then we can press them to never censor another game again.
From what I gather NOA did nothing to Fatal Frame. It was all NOE. Though honestly Fatal Frame was substituting a Japanese fanservice for something a bit easier for a Nintendo fan to understand but at the same time I find myself defending the inclusion of the same thing in SMTxFE as "oh those model magazines are Japanese culture".

Just why Nintendo? What's the point of removing a character creator feature? I would've preferred to see a change in every single costume instead of just removing an actual feature of the game.

It's not really THAT important but it's a change that does not make any sense

flohen95

Taking out a customization option is kinda silly. It's not like adjusting the bust size is something inheritely sexually appealing - maybe some female players just want to make the character look close to their real life appearence. It's, first and foremost, a harmless option.

In the end it's no big deal - it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

This is the first localization issue with this game that strikes me as odd. I understand you could "abuse" a breast size slider to "oversexualize" a PC but I dunno; I feel like if you are trying to create a PC that looks like yourself for example, this is a part of human anatomy that you should have the ability to configure.

Basically my thoughts on the matter. I get why Nintendo thought it would be a problem but I don't understand the thought process behind removing it entirely. Couldn't they have just removed the smallest and largest options?

On a different note, at this point absolutely no one should be surprised if/when Fates and SMTXFE get censored.

The End

Wait so they removed big breasts and small breasts?

In order to prevent people from creating loli player characters (like Lin) they removed the boob slider entirely.

One would hope that SMTxFE is shooting for an M (like basically all SMT games) so this won't be an issue, but I'm sure NoA is going to cut something from the game and piss off the entire internet.

Amneisac

This is one of the most impressive bits of mental gymnastics I've ever seen in trying to rationalize something.

You can adjust: Height - Weight - and Breast Size. That's it. Trying to act like somehow under-representing small-breasted women is sexist is absurd. How about not being concerned with the breast size of the women at all?

Fencedude

This is one of the most impressive bits of mental gymnastics I've ever seen in trying to rationalize something.

You can adjust: Height - Weight - and Breast Size. That's it. Trying to act like somehow under-representing small-breasted women is sexist is absurd. How about not being concerned with the breast size of the women at all?

How is it a problem?

Why is it ok to customize height and weight but not bust size?

Really wish I was the fly on the wall in the meeting where they discussed removing the boob slider. Like, could you imagine Reggie with a power point on why it would be inappropriate for the west?

OranSky

Banned
So we can't have this in Xenoblade:
zlCfzTS3SsAkZxV-hz

But they are all right with advertising this?:
large.jpg

The censoring itself doesn't bother but considering what #FE is going to have just makes this all ridiculous.

Amneisac

How is it a problem?

Why is it ok to customize height and weight but not bust size?

Because when you make it the third of three attributes in character creation you are prioritizing their sex organs as one of their most important physical attributes. If you guys want to play games with big breasted women that's your prerogative, but I get annoyed when people try to justify it with something as silly as "not being fair to small-breasted women".

zlCfzTS3SsAkZxV-hz

large.jpg

The censoring itself doesn't bother but considering what #FE is going to have just makes this all ridiculous.

they changed her pants in the japanese version in the bottom pic. No longer does she have bare legs

Picture:
mkQR0qR.jpg

Fencedude

Because when you make it the third of three attributes in character creation you are prioritizing their sex organs as one of their most important physical attributes. If you guys want to play games with big breasted women that's your prerogative, but I get annoyed when people try to justify it with something as silly as "not being fair to small-breasted women".

Psst: Breasts aren't sex organs

-Horizon-

zlCfzTS3SsAkZxV-hz

large.jpg

I'm now mentally prepping myself to hear the news that that scene is either edited to have her in a more modest outfit or the scene removed entirely.

I have a feeling it will be heavily censored in the west after what he have been seeing recently from them.

Top Bottom