• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED localizer upset Japanese devs removed accidental KKK reference (Kotaku)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is fine, honestly. The slur was meant to be hurtful and fit the intent of the sentence exactly, and was the perfect way to transfer '2chan humor' to '4chan humor.'

The KKK thing wasn't even the original intent of Acquire so this entire furor over THAT is fucking stupid, and I think Tom is stupid for letting this be his hill to die on because of that.

It also is hilarious how many people are posting about how he's a right wing Trump supporter because of this.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I mean fine in as much as putting 4chan "humour" into a game should be fine...

Oreiller

To reference this in anime terms: The developer meant for this to be a WacDonald's joke. The localizer thought it was funny to see KKK in the game for some reason. Localizer decides to commit Sudoku to keep an unintended reference that only they found amusing.

Not to forget that this reference would have offended lots of people and would have reflected terribly on his employers and the japanese dev team.

I'm not trying to be a detective. You'll notice that he was talking about a post that was mine. I just remembered the interaction. So it's not that I'm a detective. I'm just exceptional at holding a grudge
Now that you explained it, that interaction is suddenly made sooooo better. I'm also of the opinion that the poster in question is abso-fucking-lutely wrong.

This localizer Tom dude is fucking legit one of those 4chan trolls. Where are those same fucks who complain about not having a literal translation now??? Fucking kissing this this scum's ass, for not falling to "censorship", on that forum!

How fucking predictable.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This one is fine, honestly. The slur was meant to be hurtful and fit the intent of the sentence exactly, and was the perfect way to transfer '2chan humor' to '4chan humor.'

The KKK thing wasn't even the original intent of Acquire so this entire furor over THAT is fucking stupid, and I think Tom is stupid for letting this be his hill to die on because of that.

It also is hilarious how many people are posting about how he's a right wing Trump supporter because of this.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

This might blow your mind, but voting progressively and being an asshole on one or even many avenues aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

It doesn't matter who he voted for.

Think that poster agrees, some other people in here were the ones saying "bet he's a Trumpster"

If you want to know who he voted for just go through the ballots until you see one with

"- Tom"

written at the bottom.

Orayn

Is this really the edge you choose to lord on?

Ha, I realized "hill to die on" must have been used a ton already in the thread, but there's really no other way to put it. He arbitrarily picked an extremely wrongheaded position his main motivation and was willing to throw everything away in defense of it. Just the most baffling bullshit imaginable.

Alucrid

Banned
Can't disagree here. Times have been changing with XSEED, and not for the better is what I feel.

Putting aside that XSEED doesn't have a particular type of game they translate, I can't think of a major localizer that hasn't dipped their toes into something questionable, so for someone who wants to work as a translator, they cannot be faulted for choosing to work with a certain company, because no matter which way they go they'll run into it. And at the end of the day, having your name removed from the credits is a simple request that doesn't have to have the localizer overly show their disagreement (like what Tom did here) and can be easily granted by the publisher. I just feel that policy XSEED has is pretty hardline when it doesn't need to be.

yeah a lot of japanese games have questionable shit that makes me roll my eyes. i'm just not sure who the person that wants to get into localizing japanese games yet is embarrassed enough about the content a lot of those games have to not be included in the credits. i would imagine most of them are gungho about it like tom, although not to the extent of preserving KKK signs or virtual 15 year old girls as they are

mclem

It IS censorship, but come the fuck on, man.

I'm not sure it counts as censorship if the offensive intent was not the intended intent of the original writer, but that's an interesting nuance that I'm not certain about.

Gbraga

To reference this in anime terms: The developer meant for this to be a WacDonald's joke. The localizer thought it was funny to see KKK in the game for some reason. Localizer decides to commit Sudoku to keep an unintended reference that only they found amusing.

Arigato, Trojita-senpai.

From now on I'll call this place NeoRAF

The shock value people may experience as they are reminded of innocent relatives who were killed is really funny to me, and will therefore be the restaurant I choose to eat at

jay

I'm not sure it counts as censorship if the offensive intent was not the intended intent of the original writer, but that's an interesting nuance that I'm not certain about.

Censorship is a government not allowing a thing and requiring changes or just silencing it entirely.

This is called market forces.

Those "boob" games sell far better than stuff like Xanadu e.g.

What I mean is that cross-financing might be a thing at XSeed. I dont actually know though. For the anime publishing company I worked for before, we used cross-financing to finance titles that we know wont sell that well.

PSA: Buy Xanadu Next. Really great game that went under the radar.

And yes, Senran Kagura is probably one of the top selling XSEED published titles in their history. Since it was developed by their parent company, Marvelous, it would be a foolish move to have some other company localize the games where there's a chance you can maximize your profits. Thus in turn, put in the resources to help out other localizations that won't make bank.

This company policy is so weird and just feels vindictive, a low-level blackballing on future work that no matter how much you toe the line going forward, your credits are just done. Whatever, not my company. Just a weird thing to have as standing policy and I'd really like to hear the history of when that policy was established and why it's enforced this way.

It was shrewd move by XSEED but I believe they were backed up against the wall with this one. This isn't Tom and XSEED's first confrontation over localization practices there and Tom still asked to be removed from the credits regardless of the situation clearing itself out. It's like the old saying, "careful what you wish for". I appreciate Tom being open on how the localization process works but he brought about more negative buzz than positive buzz towards XSEED. Sure they can fire him, but then I'm betting they have to pay him unemployment and whatnot. I'm guessing they assessed the situation where he isn't threatening among his coworkers that this is the stance they take. Tom can take his ball and quit but it'll definitely be hard for him to find a job doing what he's been doing now with all this baggage on the internet for anyone looking to hire him can see.

If I'm not mistaken, that guy never seemed like he like having to change things when bringing games over no matter how big or small. So I imagine it's more of this change clashing with his ideals more than "haha, KKK!" I agree with that stance but in this particular instance I don't really care much either way.

Man, of all things to stand up for, he picked THIS. Really?!

If he wasn't already the black sheep of XSEED, he is now. And being "The KKK Guy" is going to stick with him wherever he goes (Or rather, tries to go) in the industry in the future.

Is the localization sector of the industry that short on manpower that people like this get hired?

And the best part is, if he just shut his mouth and never mentioned it to anyone, it might never have been changed.

Man, of all things to stand up for, he picked THIS. Really?!

If he wasn't already the black sheep of XSEED, he is now. And being "The KKK Guy" is going to stick with him wherever he goes (Or rather, tries to go) in the industry in the future.

Is the localization sector of the industry that short on manpower that people like this get hired?

And the best part is, if he just shut his mouth and never mentioned it to anyone, it might never have been changed.

Loc is comparatively low paying for the specialization required so yeah

poodaddy

Didn't he actually get the company in hot water before for sneaking in a slur for transgender people after explicitly being told not to include it?

You'd think that insubordination alone would have gotten him fired.
The fuck?!? Man he must be the translator of the century for them to keep him around...Dude would be straight terminated anywhere else for that level of public insubordination. Guy has no respect for authority at all.

Dio

Banned
The fuck?!? Man he must be the translator of the century for them to keep him around...Dude would be straight terminated anywhere else for that level of public insubordination. Guy has no respect for authority at all.

Don't fall for rumors and hearsay and base your entire opinion on it.

Look this shit up. He did nothing of the sort.

I dunno

I get trying to emulate 4chan speak, but it's not like there isn't a metric ton of other things they could have pull from.

2chan is literally the original site that 4chan was based off of, in culture and in board software design. You couldn't have a more perfect place to pull from.

LeleSocho

Banned
I have no words, the frigging guys who created the name are saying that it wasn't their intent to deliver that reference; on what basis could one think that changing it could "infringe the game’s artistic value"?

Clov

Didn't he actually get the company in hot water before for sneaking in a slur for transgender people after explicitly being told not to include it?

You'd think that insubordination alone would have gotten him fired.

What an asshole! I knew he acted pretty stupid about this stuff before, but I didn't think it was this bad. I hope they don't keep him on.

Even though his name won't be in the credits anymore, I think we'll know when he's done his work. He doesn't seem to be the type of person who learns from their mistakes. I wonder what blunder he'll cause Xseed next?

If I'm not mistaken, that guy never seemed like he like having to change things when bringing games over no matter how big or small. So I imagine it's more of this change clashing with his ideals more than "haha, KKK!" I agree with that stance but in this particular instance I don't really care much either way.

I mean that's not true, the trap example from one of his other stands was an act localization not a translation... The original Japanese word was not trap...

Localization is about intent not about 1 for 1 translation.

Translating the KKK Witches and leaving it as that is not localization it's translation and in this case by keeping it there he was the one deciding to make a joke not them.

jay

I have no words, the frigging guys who created the name are saying that it wasn't their intent to deliver that reference; on what basis could one think that changing it could "infringe the game’s artistic value"?

You have to respect the dedication of a translator who thinks original intent is somewhat irrelevant to his work.

For all in support of this decision, you can buy $28 shirts with "ASSESGOBBLING" printed on them. Thank you for fighting the good fight for free speech with us.

Do you take bitcoin?

Dio

Banned
Well, now I feel bad for spreading things 'I heard about from a friend' online without really checking they were true more than ever.

This seems like a dumping ground thread for people to post things they 'heard' Tom had done without even realizing it's hearsay or falsehood.

Kind of like how I myself even perpetuated the "NISA's loc of Disgaea burned peoples PS3's to death!" meme.

Googling the trans slur thing, looks like he (or someone) used "trap" in place of "nekama." Nekama is a combination of "net" and "okama (gay guy)" that very specifically refers to guys pretending to be women online, usually in online games. The application/implications are much narrower than "trap"

Dio

Banned
Googling the trans slur thing, looks like he (or someone) used "trap" in place of "nekama." Nekama is a combination of "net" and "okama (gay guy)" that very specifically refers to guys pretending to be women online, usually in online games. The application/implications are much narrower than "trap"

In the context of 4chan, 'trap' literally only means either 'guy pretending to be a woman' or 'girly guy dressing up like a woman.' It's often used self referentially by those people in question, i.e. "hot trap looking to add a Steam friend to play videogames with"

I've posted before how I realize it also has connotations outside of 4chan, but since this is a 2chan humor -> 4chan humor thing, it is the perfect fit for the situation IMO.

Well, now I feel bad for spreading things 'I heard about from a friend' online without really checking they were true more than ever.

This seems like a dumping ground thread for people to post things they 'heard' Tom had done without even realizing it's hearsay or falsehood.

Kind of like how I myself even perpetuated the "NISA's loc of Disgaea burned peoples PS3's to death!" meme.

This was my point from the start. Guy did something stupid people strongly disagree with (but with little actual impact), pitchforks are out, he's the devil, assumptions are made, any rumor that fits that narrative is accepted as fact.

Even XSEED is being dragged through the mud

The circle of GAF

Any kind of principle that this guys was defending went out the window when the original devs wanted it removed themselves. At that point, you're literally just trying to keep KKK in a game for shock value. Why.

I haven't caught up with everything, but WHY? It's not even funny! It's stupid, dude's an idiot, I see no value in preserving that, it's not a commentary on anything, it's poor localization if anything! Like... WHY!?

In the context of 4chan, 'trap' literally only means either 'guy pretending to be a woman' or 'girly guy dressing up like a woman.' It's often used self referentially by those people in question, i.e. "hot trap looking to add a Steam friend to play videogames with"

I've posted before how I realize it also has connotations outside of 4chan, but since this is a 2chan humor -> 4chan humor thing, it is the perfect fit for the situation IMO.

It's not realistic to expect normal people to be versed in 4chan humor

Nairume

Banned
2chan is literally the original site that 4chan was based off of, in culture and in board software design. You couldn't have a more perfect place to pull from.
I'm aware.

My point is that they have plenty of other 4chan jokes they could have pulled from to fill out enough to localize the 2ch stuff without including a slur (even if, yes, that word has other connotations on 4chan), even if that is something you absolutely will see on either 2ch or 4chan.

jay

This was my point from the start. Guy did something stupid people strongly disagree with (but with little actual impact), pitchforks are out, he's the devil, assumptions are made, any rumor that fits that narrative is accepted as fact.

Even XSEED is being dragged through the mud

The circle of GAF

XSEED is being criticized by a few people for putting out kiddie perv games. They will survive the assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom