• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
It's very easy to tell who's immature and inexperienced with kids in this thread.

Those kids playing Super Metroid will probably be just fine with a tiny "push" in the right direction. Once that happens, they may only get stuck 1 to 3 more times for the remainder of the game, since they have a better grasp on how to approach it logically.

This is true to a point, in my experience. I helped start off my son in Zero Mission but even after he got used to the mechanics and "feel" of having to explore, it just couldn't keep his interest. The reward for his hard (let us allow that for him, it can be) work was too far off in the future for him to keep at it. He does this all the time, even with modern stuff that requires a modicum of dedication to see through. Thing is, he does actually enjoy stuff like Zelda, Mario etc but he'd need them in bite-size portions to finish.

nkarafo

That is the freaking tutorial. They just neglected to read and internalize the message that told them how to use the bombs. That makes the morons.
I agree. I guess they expect for some NPC to speak to them through a radio or something with a message like "Samus, press these buttons to use your bombs and destroy these blocks" and have the blocks shine uncontrollably. And why not put an arrow there to make sure even my cat won't be confused?

Mael

Nah. No digital purchases over 30p until Nintendo sort their account system out.

I made an exception for Nano Assault because I love Shin'en. Love 'em.

If I could gift you the game through the eShop I would but alas that's no longer a possibility...
Check it out when it releases on pc then.
Two Tribes is certainly worth it and the game is gem of game design.
In short a metroid game in structure but the only powerup you'll ever get is knowledge of the world around you.
And it's the kind of game that uses miiverse to its potential considering how much people are getting stuck in this game.
A level design tool is in the making and you should be able to access the levels people create through miiverse.
Don't expect that before the Summer update that will allow the hooks of the games in miiverse though.
So yeah you're kinda wrong about miiverse only being for mindless pap, that's more true for message boards in general.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really hard to figure out, even back then when the game was released. Most power ups you acquired are used right away. It happens in the Zelda series all the time.

These people are used to the game telling them what to do like most games in this age.

There are plenty of games out there for them to have fun. Can't i have fun with the one or two deeper games that are left?

The problem is that you made the statement that if they don't appeal to YOU with Metroid they shouldn't make Metroid games PERIOD.

Maybe you're the one who needs to find some other hobby that challenges you.

ido

These people are used to the game telling them what to do like most games in this age.

I don't know about you, but whenever I was a kid playing NES/SNES games I would get stuck in games and call and ask my friends.

Kids back in the day were no different than they are now. We got frustrated and stuck, and needed help sometimes. Game Genie was a popular item when we were growing up for a reason.

nkarafo

The problem is that you made the statement that if they don't appeal to YOU with Metroid they shouldn't make Metroid games PERIOD.

Maybe you're the one who needs to find some other hobby that challenges you.
Ugh, its not like i'm saying a new franchise should appeal to me... All i'm saying is that the Metroid games should appeal to the people who love the Metroid series.

Super Metroid remains unchanged and there to be played.
So, no new games for us, poor Metroid fans?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I don't know about you, but whenever I was a kid playing NES/SNES games I would get stuck in games and call and ask my friends.

Kids back in the day were no different than they are now. We got frustrated and stuck, and needed help sometimes.

Dat Mega Man pause trick!

marrec

Banned
Miiverse is hilarious, fun and useful. You're just being cynical.

Miiverse is the #1 reason I want to get a Wii U.

And it's for all the reasons SmokyDave laid out.

I remember having situations like this in a lot of games I played back in the day. I'd be stuck on some stupid easy thing that I'd missed in the tutorial.

Thank God I didn't immortalize it on the internet for everyone to see.

Jezan

"WHAT DO YOU DO AT THIS BRIDGE PLS HELP?????"
THIS!

They get stuck 1 second after getting the morph ball, when the game clearly says what to press to morph! And it show Samus morphing. So they were not paying attention or they are stupid, either case it's not the game's fault.

Also, there are many buttons and they just don't try to press anything?

ido

THIS!

They get stuck 1 second after getting the morph ball, when the game clearly says what to press to morph! And it show Samus morphing. So they were not paying attention or they are stupid, either case it's not the game's fault.

Also, there are many buttons and they just don't try to press anything?

I just downloaded it last night, and I hadn't played Super Metroid in over a decade.

Whenever I got the morph ball it did not tell me how to activate it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Wait a few days until they get to the crumbling block bridge.

And then a week or so when they get to the Maridia tube (which is stupid bullshit)

I found the problem with people getting stuck in the tube is that they don't go through the Wrecked Ship to get into Maridia a first time at which point along the way you pass an already broken tube, which to me was suppose to be a hint.
I managed to finish the game back when it came out and I was 6, and people seem to be having problems and finding it hard, maybe games are too easy these days or SM doesn't point things out quite enough. Some of the first pictures in this topic confuse me, I mean they already rolled through a gap to get stuck, and on the way picked up a power up, you'd think they would find out what that was they picked up.

But at the same time from when I was in College and had to make an interactive T-Shirt website type thing for an end of year show it was interesting to see how different ages approach things differently. The adults who came along to my board and computer always seem to scared to break anything, the kids however dove right into it and were making some custom T-Shirt designs on a little flash app I had made within minutes, some ended up making some quite rude looking ones iirc too, kids.

I'll always have good memories of Super Metroid though, I remember getting up one night and my mother wasn't in bed, she was downstairs on her save file trying to beat Crocomire at like 4am. She went on to playing and beating all the 2D style Metroids besides the very first one, my mum was pretty cool, lol.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow I cant believe this haha, you know what is sad? Now a days being asked to "think for yourself" would have everyone crying out "Bad game design".

No, this is the point of games. To make you think creatively or to take matters into your own hands and find a solution...something that has been slowly lost.

all these people should go play mega man x instead.

dark souls threads are just as "bad". "bad" in quotes because i don't think it's bad at all. give people a platform to speak so easily, and they'll be quick to spout whatever comes to mind. discounting figuring it on their own, they still could've read the manual or went to google/gamefaqs/youtube, but they posted on miiverse instead. just how a lot of people work. i'm willing to bet that at least a handful of these people eventually figured it out, even after posting (and not getting a reply).

Dunan

There's another clue, which is that the map changes from Brinstar to Maridia in that section. All these things add up. Like others I simply thought "Let me try this" and it worked (followed by an immediate rush, naturally). I admit it's perhaps the most obtuse of Super's design "walls", but not completely unfair, just the type of thing we're no longer used to.

The music changes too, doesn't it? Just for a few screens, which tells you that there must be an explorable area nearby.

nkarafo

There's plenty of games out there, even on WiiU there's actually Toki Tori 2 released not so long ago.
The art direction and "atmosphere" puts me off.

Really, the only game i've played recently that comes close to Metroid's level design style (apart from the Metroidvania games and a couple of indie ones) is Dark Souls.

marrec

Banned
Wow I cant believe this haha, you know what is sad? Now a days being asked to "think for yourself" would have everyone crying out "Bad game design".

No, this is the point of games. To make you think creatively or to take matters into your own hands and find a solution...something that has been slowly lost.

Stop touching yourself to the hardcore fantasies of old. Nothing's been lost, we've just gained a way to show everyone our stupidest moments. Don't tell me you didn't fuck up somewhere along the line in one of the Metroids and look to the heavens in supplication.

These poor kids just have a way to supplicate to the internet, which is WAY less forgiving than God.

Jonboy

Ok full disclosure here...yes this is definitely hilarious, but even as someone who played and beat Supet Metroid years ago, I hesitated for a minute or two trying to shoot the little block. Also totally forgot it took 5 missiles instead of 1 on the pink doors. Can't say I forgot how to use the morph ball though, lol.

Still, it definitely illustrates how much hand-holding games have now, as others have already pointed out. Kind of freaked me out that I've been somewhat "brainwashed" by the use of things like waypoints and checkpoints.

Seriously though, how awesome is Super Metroid even to this day? Man the 16-bit era aged so well.

Mael

The art direction and "atmosphere" puts me off.

Really, the only game that comes close to Metroid's level design style (apart from Metroidvania games and a couple of indie ones) is Dark Souls.

It IS the sequel to Toki Tori after all!
Still the game is far more than meet the eye, they should do a demo so that you could try it, it really is the best when it comes to using the classic structure of exploration/progression I've played in years.
Still it's far from the only game that use this type of structure and nowadays you're better off without Metroid.
I mean ZombiU is a better metroid game than Metroid Other M....

Forkball

The red doors thing is totally understandable, but I legit laughed at "How do I beat this guy" with the Chozo statue.

Wait till they have to break that underwater tube.

kaioshade

Those posts make me die a little inside. I had some faith in the current crop, but seriously, some thinking is truly lost on some people.

Ugh, its not like i'm saying a new franchise should appeal to me... All i'm saying is that the Metroid games should appeal to the people who love the Metroid series.

So, no new games for us, poor Metroid fans?

The problem with Metroid is the same as many other older franchises out there... Fans like you are a dying breed. If they continue to only appeal to you then, indeed, they might as well not make any new games.

Jezan

I just downloaded it last night, and I hadn't played Super Metroid in over a decade.

Whenever I got the morph ball it did not tell me how to activate it.
What? After getting it, doesn't a pop up tells you "Morph Ball, blah blah press X" (or whatever button you assigned)?

MrKayle

it is my belief that people had all of these same exact problems when the game first came out.

you just didn't hear about it.

marrec

Banned
it is my belief that people had all of these same exact problems when the game first came out.

you just didn't hear about it.

Yup, don't trust anyone who says Super Metroid didn't stump them at some point, they're probably working for the government.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I let me neice (10 years old at the time) play Super Mario Bros. for the NES. She got upset and lost interest in it real quick because you couldn't run back.

nkarafo

The problem with Metroid is the same as many other older franchises out there... Fans like you are a dying breed. If they continue to only appeal to you then, indeed, they might as well not make any new games.
As much as i don't want to, i have to agree with you in this one. I guess i do have to abandon gaming and find something else after all. Or at best, stick to retro gaming.

SmokyDave

If I could gift you the game through the eShop I would but alas that's no longer a possibility...
Check it out when it releases on pc then.
Two Tribes is certainly worth it and the game is gem of game design.
In short a metroid game in structure but the only powerup you'll ever get is knowledge of the world around you.
And it's the kind of game that uses miiverse to its potential considering how much people are getting stuck in this game.
A level design tool is in the making and you should be able to access the levels people create through miiverse.
Don't expect that before the Summer update that will allow the hooks of the games in miiverse though.
So yeah you're kinda wrong about miiverse only being for mindless pap, that's more true for message boards in general.
I definitely want to take a crack at Toki Tori 2. I quite enjoyed the original if I remember rightly.

You can't sell me on anything that requires a mandatory use of Miiverse!

Miiverse is hilarious, fun and useful. You're just being cynical.
SmokeyDave?

Cynical?

Sir.

Mister Chopper.

That is an absolutely baseless accusation.
You two ain't getting a 'Yeah!' from me. How d'you like them apples?

womp

My five year old and I just played the first 3 stages of Contra together on my old NES before we ran out of lives. He loves it. He is also an avid Super Mario Bros. player as well.

The future of gaming will be fine. Do your part.

Do you want to know more?

Mael

I definitely want to take a crack at Toki Tori 2. I quite enjoyed the original if I remember rightly.

You can't sell me on anything that requires a mandatory use of Miiverse!
It's certainly not mandatory but the dev team is there to help directly if need be.
It's a million times better than the original.
So many games on WiiU and well Toki Tori 2 is the best thing I have for WiiU and really the best I've played this year by quite a margin (Boringshock is certainly not even close to top 10).
Music is even better, but you're warned that you can get stuck and certainly will be stuck that's where miiverse will help.

You two ain't getting a 'Yeah!' from me. How d'you like them apples?

Ah not even me?

Chucker

I don't know... I read the manuals usually when I bought a game during the car ride home so I might have had some more knowledge than these kids. Coupled with having beat Metroid on NES as a kid and knowing the color doors...

I was just used to running around, shooting/bombing as much as I could. Last night, unrelated to this phenomenon occuring I started up a game of Super Metroid and got up to where you're ready to face Ridley before calling it a night. I just can't understand not knowing what to do.

I let me neice (10 years old at the time) play Super Mario Bros. for the NES. She got upset and lost interest in it real quick because you couldn't run back.
well it does kind of suck that you can't run back. shoulda went with smb3.

i think metroid (1) and zelda (1) are pretty meh games. smb and mega man 1 are just decent to me. and these are games i grew up with. the sequels are really when they started to shine.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've gotta say, when I first played SM last year there were a few parts I got stuck at (including really early where I didn't realise I needed to bomb a wall). But the difference between these kids and me is that I quietly looked up a walkthrough whereas they proudly display their furrowed brows and illiterate words on Miiverse.

The moral of the story being, if you're going to be stupid, be privately stupid.

The only part I should receive the dunce hat for is in the Lower Brinstar area where you have to dash to get across the vines. The game doesn't tell you can you can dash, so when you run across the vine bridge you fall.

It took me several minutes to figure out that holding down the button allows Samus to run faster, thus making the bridge before it collapses.

I'm actually a little nervous to play this game for the first time. Young Waylon in the late 80's/early 90's had no problem figuring games out with barely any explanation. Fast forward to 2013 and 30 year old Waylon misses the most obvious things all the time. I get stumped by fucking crate puzzles in God of War games now, it's terrible.

I will say, however, that this thread stinks to high heaven of old people talking about how much better "their generation" is and how the young'uns of today are just not as good. Protip: when you start lamenting the differences between yourself and people younger than you, you're officially old.

Adam Blue

This is hilarious! It's like these people have never played a Metroid game before.

That most likely literally is what it is.

So, in this generation we probably have hundreds of thousands more people that are playing games for a completely different reason than the generations that grew up with games when the market was completely different.

The elitist in me wants to laugh, but the truth is we are out of touch as to what the market is today.

Angry Fork

Kids grow up in a world where there are a lot of buttons + games that offer more complex and interesting gameplay mechanics.

Goes back to old game without those mechanics, so they can't understand how to get things done in the same way. Everyone laughs as if they're stupid and not simply conditioned to completely different experiences.

You guys aren't gaming god's. If these kids grew up with SNES games that only had jump/run/shoot they'd be able to figure it out too. If a kid who grows up with ipad's is given a VHS and doesn't know how to use it, is that really 'depressing'? Why does it matter.

Also totally forgot it took 5 missiles instead of 1 on the pink doors.

Seriously though, how awesome is Super Metroid even to this day? Man the 16-bit era aged so well.

To be fair, red doors needing five missiles is not exactly intuitive. I'm sure I had to GameFAQs what to do with those doors when I played the original Metroid last year for the first time. I'll try shooting things when out of ideas, but when one missile doesn't work, my next idea isn't, "Why don't I try using all my missiles??" Wouldn't be surprised if red doors are explained in the manual though.

Super Metroid is pretty awesome though. I was impressed when I booted it up yesterday.

Top Bottom