• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

If they haven't discovered the wrecked ship they're not really stuck at the glass pipe, they're stuck at finding the wrecked ship. Blowing it up before you have the gravity suit is pretty pointless.

My bad, I meant it's plausible that a player might obtain the gravity suit and head back to Crateria instead of continuing right.

NickMitch

Oh my...That´s really depressing.

See what happens! Do you see what happens Larry!?!? Do you see what happens when you create casual games and thus make gamers acustomed to "handheld" gaming habits!!!!

tumblr_miupndB5fi1rmtenjo1_500.gif

Mael

I couldn't speak or understand English as well when I was a kid, so I learned it while playing Final Fantasy III US, fuck you.

:p
Heh, me too.
I still doesn't talk or can read Japanese and have finished most of Squaresoft offering that never got a NA release.
Yes that means that's how I played FFV or SDIII

Curating a service so it's mainly used by kids -> start wondering why there are so many kids on Miiverse.

Though I do like some of the pretty pictures people create with extremely limited means, that novelty appreciation only holds for so long. Overall, I think Miiverse is pretty terrible. (It's not aimed at me, I know)

What are you talking about?
It's the best place to get a quick tip when you're stuck.
Try Toki Tori 2 for example.

Mael

Oh my...That´s really depressing.

See what happens! Do you see what happens Larry!?!? Do you see what happens when you create casual games and thus make gamers acustomed to "handheld" gaming habits!!!!

tumblr_miupndB5fi1rmtenjo1_500.gif

What's wrong with 3DS/Vita now?

hachi

Banned

What happens? ...the new audience brought in by accessible games eventually migrates to classics like Super Metroid. Truly a tragedy.

Yup, that's Miiverse alright.

'lol this game is hard lol'.

Actually this thread is a fine example of why your reception of miiverse is just plain wrong. Depending on the Thread you say Miiverse only consists of "I love Mario", "Give me likes" or "This level is so hard". Well, as funny as it is, this thread shows that miiverse actually works. People help people advancing in a game. With screenshots, drawings and discussions. Right on your game console incorporated in every single game.

big_erk

I love games that make you think for yourself. Super Metroid was challenging, but I never thought it was hard. This is why I love the Portal games.

"What happens if I do this? Damn!!"

Akira_83

Banned
Instead of maybe actually engaging these young people and help them out, teach them and maybe just maybe get the industry an audience that actually demands better experiences?

The thing that pisses me off here is the unquestioned self felation about how we used to do everything ourselves, out in the harsh cold, barefoot, while having to walk 600 miles every day in the dark, through mountains to get a slice of bread, while fighting off bears one handed.

Bullshit. We put up with hard and cryptic games because that's all there was. The medium itself was just finding out how genres and game mechanics worked, and more often than not the mental challenge was to find out what the game designer had in mind, and not how the game in itself would work.

Could the current game industry need more of these games? Hell yeah, but by ridiculing peoples problems in understanding what these games expect them to do is just a sad and pathetic display of elitism and lack of character.

Honestly, this thread is a wall of shame filled with ridiculous shit. Making fun of young kids... the fuck is wrong with some people?

i agree completely. The nintendo hotline existed for a reason back then, because people got stuck just as often or as easily as they do now. Anyone saying otherwise is just full of shit. It was just much harder to find the answers without the internet or something like miiverse. I know some game companies have done metrics to show that only X% of gamers finished the campaign for X game... but those didnt exist back then. If they did, on something like Super Metroid i guarantee you the % of gamers who beat the game would be less than 25%.

i cant even begin to tell you how many games i rented for my genesis as a kid and some never made it past the first level or so and it went back to the store having played like almost none of the game. Thats how it was. I remember renting the lion king thinking "oh shit this should be a nice easy playthrough" and then getting to the 2nd level "i cant wait to be king" and saying #%@## this!

But you know lets totally mock people stuck on something we view as simple. Because why not keep that stigma that metroid is niche or too difficult and they can just go back to COD right? or maybe download Candy Crush on their Iphone. But then we will bitch when that sells a trillion copies and the new super metroid reboot underwhelms and retro leaves the series, you'll say "WTF why are good games like this dying"

the answer will be because you made anyone who wasnt a fan of metroid not want to be one... by virtue of belonging to such a group of elitist neckbeards

matt_Avatar.JPG

Goldmund

I love games that make you think for yourself. Super Metroid was challenging, but I never thought it was hard. This is why I love the Portal games.

"What happens if I do this? Damn!!"
I always thought that
Phantoon in the wrecked ship
was hard, mainly because you can't bumble about and have to recognize patterns, something the previous bosses didn't really require you to do.

SmokyDave

Actually this thread is a fine example of why your reception of miiverse is just plain wrong. Depending on the Thread you say Miiverse only consists of "I love Mario", "Give me likes" or "This level is so hard". Well, as funny as it is, this thread shows that miiverse actually works. People help people advancing in a game. With screenshots, drawings and discussions. Right on your game console incorporated in every single game.
I don't know where you got the 'likes' thing from, I'm pretty consistent with my 'lol this game is hard lol'.

Miiverse is dire. It's like a badly scrawled gamefaqs for schoolchildren.

Miiverse is the 4th graders spreading rumors at recess and swapping copies of Tips 'N Tricks magazine.

GAF is the high school freshman that laughs to his buddies about how stupid those little kids are.

OT is where we go to brag when we touch a boob.

I think some of these are fake, mainly because I've seen a couple posts saying things like, "Y cant metroid crawl?" It's of course plausible for people to call Samus "Metroid" just like some people still call Link "Zelda," but the same phrasing by so many different people seems off. Or maybe just hilarious. The screen in the OP with everyone in the same spot was funny.

That said, it does show why Miiverse is a cool idea. Hopefully at least one person helps these people and kids who otherwise may not have the old-school gaming know-how to beat Super Metroid get to complete it thanks to Miiverse (and probably savestates).

nkarafo

But you know lets totally mock people stuck on something we view as simple. Because why not keep that stigma that metroid is niche or too difficult and they can just go back to COD right? or maybe download Candy Crush on their Iphone. But then we will bitch when that sells a trillion copies and the new super metroid reboot underwhelms and retro leaves the series, you'll say "WTF why are good games like this dying"

the answer will be because you made anyone who wasnt a fan of metroid not want to be one... by virtue of belonging to such a group of elitist neckbeards
I think its because old fans are afraid that Metroid franchise will become a mainstream hold-hand-athon, like most mainstream games out there. I do want it to be a success and sell trillions of copies but if that means that the franchise needs to cater to the average joe and the masses (a bit like OtherM did), then i'd rather not see a new Metroid ever again.

It's very easy to tell who's immature and inexperienced with kids in this thread.

Those kids playing Super Metroid will probably be just fine with a tiny "push" in the right direction. Once that happens, they may only get stuck 1 to 3 more times for the remainder of the game, since they have a better grasp on how to approach it logically.

Goldmund

I don't know where you got the 'likes' thing from, I'm pretty consistent with my 'lol this game is hard lol'.

Miiverse is dire. It's like a badly scrawled gamefaqs for schoolchildren.
I sometimes get the impression that a bad deal with the devil has bound your spirit to Nintendo threads, and the only avenue of escape he has maliciously left you with is to concentrate your negativity until it crystallizes and provides a new solid body for your spirit to take possession of.

Akira_83

Banned
I think its because old fans are afraid that Metroid franchise will become a mainstream hold-hand-athon, like most mainstream games out there. I do want it to be a success and sell trillions of copies but if that means that the franchise needs to cater to the average joe and the masses (a bit like OtherM did), then i'd rather not see a new Metroid ever again.

what evidence supports that would happen?

Metroid even became a first person game but i have never heard complaints that people didnt like the direction of the series... ive only heard how great the games are

eot

Banned

Oh come on, you already have to use the morph ball to get there in the first place and the game even tells you how to set bombs. There are a few places in SM where it's easy to get stuck, but that's not one of them. I didn't even play the game until a few months ago but I didn't find it very hard by any standards.

I guess this is why Other M was nothing but empty hallways and flat arenas :(

Hell, I remember getting stuck
where you had to morphball bomb a crack in a holo-wall or shield or something
in Other M. Don't know whether it was me or the game, but that was opaque to me.

God forbid they have fun right?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I tend to agree with the posts saying we shouldn't really mock these kids as we were all in the same sort of position back in the day (someone made a good point about the limitations of game design back then) but at the same time, there is something to be said about the attention span of young gamers today. I've watched my son and his friends zone out for hours on the usual suspects like Halo, CoD, etc but the second you place something slower paced in front of them, its like unmitigated torture. And this doesn't even necessarily have to be something old school like Super Metroid. There just seems to be an inherent disconnect between instant gratification and the slow burn of earned reward they generally want no part of.

Anteo

I'm surprised so many where stuck at Maridia tube.

I mean, its a GLASS tube... the first thing i did was to drop a normal bomb to see if it breaks. And when i got the power bomb the first thing i thought was "hey, maybe that tube will break with this". It was so obvious.

I actually did this TOO early. I didn't have the Gravity suit iirc. I almost got stuck down there D=

nkarafo

what evidence supports that would happen?

Metroid even became a first person game but i have never heard complaints that people didnt like the direction of the series... ive only heard how great the games are
Prime changed its view perspective but the gameplay and atmosphere were great. Before the game was released people feared that they are going to make it a FPS but what they did was a Super Metroid in first person mode. Nothing wrong with that.

I based my previous comment on some new players i happen to know, both young and old. They just don't care about the challenge or the interactivity. They only care about finishing the games and reach the end. They don't have the patience or will to explore and put their selves into the game world. I'm afraid that this is how the majority of new "casual" players feel.

serplux

I sometimes get the impression that a bad deal with the devil has bound your spirit to Nintendo threads, and the only avenue of escape he has maliciously left you with is to concentrate your negativity until it crystallizes and provides a new solid body for your spirit to take possession of.

I like this theory. :lol

SmokyDave

Go play Toki Tori 2, you'll thank me later.
Nah. No digital purchases over 30p until Nintendo sort their account system out.

I made an exception for Nano Assault because I love Shin'en. Love 'em.

Pretty much. They're the cowpat in the luscious green field that is gaming and I can't help but occasionally step in them.

Those people in the first few screenshots aren't confused about how to get into morph ball. They needed to get into morph ball to get in to that area. They're confused about how to bomb their way out of it.

Posters here are complaining about "today's gamers" being morons because frankly, these people are morons. They just earned the bomb powerup mere moments before getting to these blocks that need to be bombed. When you defeat the Chozo statue and earn the bombs, a message pops up explaining how to use bombs (go into morph ball mode -- which they already know how to do because they used it to get into that area -- and then press X to lay a bomb). The game then requires you to do that to exit the area. People complaining about the game having "no tutorial". That is the freaking tutorial. They just neglected to read and internalize the message that told them how to use the bombs. That makes the morons.

Top Bottom