• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

Rich!

Yeah instead it had the most annoying sidekick spouting the obvious and repeating other characters 5 seconds after something is said, or annoying you with battery beeping.

Thankfully you can use codes via the homebrew USB Loader to turn off fi's messages and battery/health alerts. You can also make text instantly appear and turn off the notifications that repeatedly come up when you pick up a different rupee or collectable.

it makes the game literally a million times better to play, and I wish Nintendo included such options in their games to begin with.

nkarafo

I think it's a valid question. If she really wanted to, Metroid could just lay down on her stomach and crawl through a lot of those low ceilinged areas without needing to become a magic ball.
The morphball was originally created because it was too difficult and recourse intensive to animate someone crawling. So they came up with the ball (much easier to animate) and it became a "thing" for the franchise. At least that's what i remember reading somewhere.

Rich!

The morphball was originally created because it was too difficult and recourse intensive to animate someone crawling. So they came up with the ball (much easier to animate) and it became a "thing" for the franchise. At least that's what i remember reading somewhere.

Yep, and even in the later games (Zero Mission), crawling only occurred when Samus wasn't wearing the power suit. For obvious reasons, of course.

Orbis

I'm not sure this is entirely different to the past be honest. These don't represent everyone or even a majority of those first playing these games in 2013, be they kids or adults; and you can't forget that cheat/hint helplines existed, paper guides were always massively popular and magazines had walkthrough and cheat sections. If the internet existed in its current form years ago, you'd see exactly what is described in this topic. Some people will always give up at the first sign of not having a clue what to do.

I'm surprised so many where stuck at Maridia tube.

I mean, its a GLASS tube... the first thing i did was to drop a normal bomb to see if it breaks. And when i got the power bomb the first thing i thought was "hey, maybe that tube will break with this". It was so obvious.

I probably only knew what to do because I've played Metroid Prime first.

I'm not sure this is entirely different to the past be honest. These don't represent everyone or even a majority of those first playing these games in 2013, be they kids or adults; and you can't forget that cheat/hint helplines existed, paper guides were always massively popular and magazines had walkthrough and cheat sections. If the internet existed in its current form years ago, you'd see exactly what is described in this topic. Some people will always give up at the first sign of not having a clue what to do.

But it's so much fun pretending that people who've been conditioned to think about games differently than those people growing up in the NES/SNES era are simply morons that wouldn't find their way out of their own bed is just too convenient.

This thread really reads like a bunch of depressed old people trying to make themselves look better by denouncing a new corrupted generation that couldn't hold a candle to their superior generation.

The shocking thing is that many in here are probably not even 30 years old for crying out loud.

plainr_

Not Super Metroid but...

nuKSFjz.png

I legit face palm'd in real life.

KevinCow

Banned
I never had an issue with it either. I saw it, knew it was glass and thought 'I wonder if this will do anything..."

EXACTLY the same case with the glass pipe in Metroid Prime.

The pipe in Metroid Prime had a bunch of cracks and was clearly in poor condition and, when scanned, would say, "Structural weaknesses and traces of Bendezium detected," which was flavor text for, "Yo, this shit can be destroyed with a power bomb." Since scanning shit to see if and how it can be destroyed is common practice in the game, this doesn't seem out of place at all.

The pipe in Super Metroid, on the other hand, looks nothing like anything you have been trained to immediately recognize as breakable. When you bomb it, it doesn't turn into a block with a symbol on it - unlike every single other breakable thing in the game - so it's easy to assume that it just can't be broken.

The pipe in Super Metroid, on the other hand, looks nothing like anything you have been trained to immediately recognize as breakable. When you bomb it, it doesn't turn into a block with a symbol on it - unlike every single other breakable thing in the game - so it's easy to assume that it just can't be broken.

To be fair, there's an already-broken pipe in Maridia right next to the intact pipe. It's the only broken pipe in the game until you break the other one.

Still a bit of a leap of logic but that's at least a small clue. It's much more obvious if you manage to figure out the logic of the game's level design, which is to provide a lot of shortcuts (except in Norfair).

I never had an issue with it either. I saw it, knew it was glass and thought 'I wonder if this will do anything..."

EXACTLY the same case with the glass pipe in Metroid Prime.

I thought nothing of it being made out of glass.
It just looks like some visual thing, like "Hey look here, there's a new area but you can't get to it yet! Maybe you'll find another path that leads you here from the other side of this pipe!"

I only ever found out about it by ACCIDENTALLY using Power Bombs when I wanted to use regular bombs to see if it breaks then.

But it's so much fun pretending that people who've been conditioned to think about games differently than those people growing up in the NES/SNES era are simply morons that wouldn't find their way out of their own bed is just too convenient.

This thread really reads like a bunch of depressed old people trying to make themselves look better by denouncing a new corrupted generation that couldn't hold a candle to their superior generation.

The shocking thing is that many in here are probably not even 30 years old for crying out loud.
Let me yell at clouds

Its the only thing I have left to live for

I was half joking. It's a lot more fun to zip around as the ball then it would be to crawl everywhere.

Let me yell at clouds

Its the only thing I have left to live for

Instead of maybe actually engaging these young people and help them out, teach them and maybe just maybe get the industry an audience that actually demands better experiences?

The thing that pisses me off here is the unquestioned self felation about how we used to do everything ourselves, out in the harsh cold, barefoot, while having to walk 600 miles every day in the dark, through mountains to get a slice of bread, while fighting off bears one handed.

Bullshit. We put up with hard and cryptic games because that's all there was. The medium itself was just finding out how genres and game mechanics worked, and more often than not the mental challenge was to find out what the game designer had in mind, and not how the game in itself would work.

Could the current game industry need more of these games? Hell yeah, but by ridiculing peoples problems in understanding what these games expect them to do is just a sad and pathetic display of elitism and lack of character.

Honestly, this thread is a wall of shame filled with ridiculous shit. Making fun of young kids... the fuck is wrong with some people?

nkarafo

But the fact that people today are accustomed to games that just progress without them doing nothing more than follow instructions, is a problem. It seems to me that many people (including some i know personally) just don't want to interact and explore. They just want to move forward, "progress the story" and watch the ending.

Gold_Loot

I'm sure a lot if these people are younger kids playing these games. Sure , It's worth a good chuckle when kids get stuck in games that we mastered years ago, but we were kids too at one point.

I remember trying to wrap my head around Metroid's mechanics when I was a kid too. Now I , as well as most of you can blaze through it as well as It's clones.

I guess what I'm trying to say is , no we're not getting dumber. No , kids today are not any more lazy when learning how a game works. They just need the same little "push" in the right direction that many of us had back then.

RPGCrazied

Who doesn't know how to play Metroid? Sad times indeed. Doesn't it even tell you how to morph ball at the start, when you get it? Been ages since I played it, but its pretty common sense even if it doesn't.

Goldmund

But the fact that people today are accustomed to games that just progress without them doing nothing more than follow instructions, is a problem. It seems to me that many people (including some i know personally) just don't want to interact and explore. They just want to move forward, "progress the story" and watch the ending.
It'd be funny if the growth the industry has seen is mainly coming from people to whom player agency is of little concern, something that mustn't do more than flavor their movie experience.

Darryl

Banned

it's almost like we're laughing at ourselves through the kids though, not as vicious as you're making it out to be

Dunan

The pipe in Metroid Prime had a bunch of cracks and was clearly in poor condition and, when scanned, would say, "Structural weaknesses and traces of Bendezium detected," which was flavor text for, "Yo, this shit can be destroyed with a power bomb." Since scanning shit to see if and how it can be destroyed is common practice in the game, this doesn't seem out of place at all.

To be fair, there's an already-broken pipe in Maridia right next to the intact pipe. It's the only broken pipe in the game until you break the other one.

The other broken pipe was the thing that gave me the hint to try breaking this one, but I think another clue was that the water behind the pipe is moving around and isn't just in the background. Am I remembering right?

louie

I'm surprised so many where stuck at Maridia tube.

I mean, its a GLASS tube... the first thing i did was to drop a normal bomb to see if it breaks. And when i got the power bomb the first thing i thought was "hey, maybe that tube will break with this". It was so obvious.

There's also the fact that Samus is seen doing it in the games attract mode.

Ocaso

Still a bit of a leap of logic but that's at least a small clue. It's much more obvious if you manage to figure out the logic of the game's level design, which is to provide a lot of shortcuts (except in Norfair).

There's another clue, which is that the map changes from Brinstar to Maridia in that section. All these things add up. Like others I simply thought "Let me try this" and it worked (followed by an immediate rush, naturally). I admit it's perhaps the most obtuse of Super's design "walls", but not completely unfair, just the type of thing we're no longer used to.

The other broken pipe was the thing that gave me the hint to try breaking this one, but I think another clue was that the water behind the pipe is moving around and isn't just in the background. Am I remembering right?

Yeah. The biggest helper is getting into the mind of the developers. By the time the player can do stuff in Maridia, it's probable they noticed that shortcuts are abundant in Zebes. It's also logical that Maridia wouldn't just have one entrance (from the Wrecked Ship), since most other areas have multiple ways in and out. The pipe would also be a prime place to enter Maridia from, since there's a save room a few tiles away. All that together and a little experimentation would allow players to figure out the pipe.

I think most players that get stuck on the pipe never discovered the Wrecked Ship entrance to Maridia, which means that
1. They aren't aware of Maridia to begin with
2. They didn't see the already-broken pipe
3. They didn't find the map room that reveals the area surrounding the pipe and the adjacent save room

Ocaso

Considering most gamers don't even finish the games they start, I wonder whether that's true. I suspect many do want interaction but don't want any challenge to their intellect in those interactions or, if they do, they don't necessarily want it mixed in with certain genres. Metroid was a franchise that blended sci-fi action with a very cerebral style of pathfinding, but, sadly, in today's industry that type of game is less and less likely to be made.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't attract mode different before you finish the game than after?

MCN

Banned

Back when Super Metroid first came out, we relied on playground talk and magazines to get us through. Same shit, modern methods.

beril

Yeah. The biggest helper is getting into the mind of the developers. By the time the player can do stuff in Maridia, it's probable they noticed that shortcuts are abundant in Zebes. It's also logical that Maridia wouldn't just have one entrance (from the Wrecked Ship), since most other areas have multiple ways in and out. The pipe would also be a prime place to enter Maridia from, since there's a save room a few tiles away. All that together and a little experimentation would allow players to figure out the pipe.

I think most players that get stuck on the pipe never discovered the Wrecked Ship entrance to Maridia, which means that
1. They aren't aware of Maridia to begin with
2. They didn't see the already-broken pipe
3. They didn't find the map room that reveals the area surrounding the pipe and the adjacent save room

If they haven't discovered the wrecked ship they're not really stuck at the glass pipe, they're stuck at finding the wrecked ship. Blowing it up before you have the gravity suit is pretty pointless.

But yeah when you're supposed to do it there's a bunch of hints; the broken pipe, and the fact that there's a room directly below it on the map that you couldn't reach any other way, and there's only so many things you can try before the power bomb. Honestly i kindof like that there is one thing in the game where you can't just scan.

quickwhips

Pretty sure some of you are laughing at little kids, like "y can't metroid crawl" kid. You should all be ashamed.

I beat metriod when I was 7 years old. My brother and I played it non stop and never really got stuck for more than a minute or so at a spot. I also beat castlevania 1,2,3. I don't understand how kids can't find the charm in discovery.

The tube will live on like the Sonic 3 infamous barrel. One of those things that makes sense when you know how but not really the first thing you would try. At the same time its hard not to make it too obvious.

Super Metroid's Miiverse is starting to overflow with this (as of today) meme. Good jon, internet.
And there went Europe's last hope of a 60Hz re-release. Plus Nintendo are going to think people are being serious and so more training wheels for all.

Haunted

When I was a kid I couldn't speak or understand English, so I got stuck in Ocarina of Time for months.
I couldn't speak or understand English as well when I was a kid, so I learned it while playing Final Fantasy III US, fuck you.

:p

Yup, that's Miiverse alright.

'lol this game is hard lol'.
Curating a service so it's mainly used by kids -> start wondering why there are so many kids on Miiverse.

Though I do like some of the pretty pictures people create with extremely limited means, that novelty appreciation only holds for so long. Overall, I think Miiverse is pretty terrible. (It's not aimed at me, I know)

I like those Miiverse posts. I like the idea of people completely new to the franchise or this style of game discovering it for the first time. It's a nice thing. Super Metroid is actually very good at demonstrating new abilities and how they ought to be used before leaving the player to their own devices when they get back out into the world with them but it probably should have an explanation of how to use each power in the equip menu though, since people might not read the initial short message.

The game came in a huge box in the UK with an A4 sized guide book to teach players the mechanics for the first hour of the game or so. They knew even then that players would get frustrated with it. I definitely remember getting stuck as a kid.

Top Bottom