• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

Neiteio

Pretty sure some of you are laughing at little kids, like "y can't metroid crawl" kid. You should all be ashamed.
Nothing mean-spirited here. It's just cute. I guess we sometimes forget how not everyone is as hardcore as us!

*cue NeoGAF documentary*

Neiteio

Do they think that if they move to the left they will fall and die? I'm pretty sure Super Metroid has zero "fall to your death"s in the entire game.
Actually, that's a valid point. A new Metroid player would see every pit and interpret it as a pit in Mario -- not knowing they can actually drop down and continue exploring.

I forget what part those people are stuck on, but yeah, I don't think it was a hard part of the game, sure.

However, Super Metroid is a quite difficult game full of extremely obtuse "puzzles", some of which basically just require you to randomly attack the walls and stuff until you find what you need... yeah, I would not have ever finished it without a walkthrough. Way too much randomly hidden stuff you need to find, and the map isn't helpful for that stuff most of the time. I mean, it's great that it HAS a map, and it makes the game playable... but still, there's a lot of stuff in that game that there aren't really clues for. It definitely inherited quite a bit of Metroid 1 level design, and that's not something I like.

Sure, modern games are too linear, but the ideal is somewhere in between "just randomly look around until you maybe find it" and "the game holds your hand the whole way through". Super Metroid has some parts which are way too close to the former of those styles for me to have beaten it without guides.

Wait a few days until they get to the crumbling block bridge.

And then a week or so when they get to the Maridia tube (which is stupid bullshit)
Their tears will probably short-circuit household breakers, at least until they quit. Noob bridge gets a lot of folks these days, thank you tutorials.

Ocaso

when modern games are mostly "hold left stick up" and "follow that green arrow".... yeah, it's real.

Seriously though, the game tells you to press down to activate the morph ball! It even has a nice little drawing!

Obviously kids today don't read. [shakes fist in the air]

I recently saw a show about child psychology and it mentioned something about how younger children can more readily figure out problematic instances such as these because of the way their brains path logical conclusions. Older children and adults will often get stumped on basic, even obvious issues, no matter how intelligent they are.

Maybe this is why we were so damn good at these games when we were younger?

ChaosXVI

Ah...the N00B bridge got me for a long time back in the day, but that's really the only place I got truly stuck from what I recall. But people not knowing how to morphball...that makes me sad/laugh.

MisterHero

This is a great way of Nintendo learning how intuitive their designs are.

Of course, Nintendo could just eliminate morph balls from future Metroids altogether.

pa22word

It's not sad at all - it simply illustrates the difference between older, more challenging games that don't really give you any indication of whether you have the proper capability to go somewhere or not and newer games that guide and help you along the way.

You've obviously never played super metriod.

Fox Mulder

I felt stupid for getting stuck in sonic 3's carnival night zone recently.

I guess this means more Monita nagging in everything.

Instro

I forget what part those people are stuck on, but yeah, I don't think it was a hard part of the game, sure.

However, Super Metroid is a quite difficult game full of extremely obtuse "puzzles", some of which basically just require you to randomly attack the walls and stuff until you find what you need... yeah, I would not have ever finished it without a walkthrough. Way too much randomly hidden stuff you need to find.

That's only the case for non essential upgrades though.

Do they think that if they move to the left they will fall and die? I'm pretty sure Super Metroid has zero "fall to your death"s in the entire game.
I was just thinking that. They need to play more games, learn about game logic, and take a chance, I guess, which isn't something modern society in a recession promotes.

JordanN

Banned
vD3mthj.jpg

Bullza2o

I have to admit I was stuck at those points too, but I was man enough to do everything I can to find the right path.

I was surprised we can shoot those blocks though.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Gamers are so used to handholding. It's sad.
You have to also consider this is the type of Nintendo console gamers these days. Not as as many "hardcore" titles as in the NES/SNES days.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL...kids these days.

Be nice people, I can imagine some kid having no goddamned clue what to do in Metroid. It might be their first Metroid game and all they know is that you run and shoot.

For people wondering why there's too much hand holding in games these days... well, here's your definitive answer.

Also, does this mean that the moment Metroid escaped his captivity, the galaxy became doomed again?

Pineconn

It's a shame that more people don't realize that all games, including Virtual Console games, have built-in manuals. The manual for Monster Hunter is very in-depth and the one for Super Metroid explains what weapons open what doors.

Eusis

You mean people using Miiverse for it's intended purpose is sad?
This is actually something that while amusing at first, makes me genuinely fascinated: will these people get the help they need and get past those trouble parts? This could really be a test for if this sort of thing can let them ease up on the handholding: you got a problem just post a picture to Miiverse and get some help!
It's a shame that more people don't realize that all games, including Virtual Console games, have built-in manuals. The manual for Monster Hunter is very in-depth and the one for Super Metroid explains what weapons open what doors.
It's going to be kind of funny/sad if this is the sort of thing that ends up bringing back physical manuals: because people look at the digital ones EVEN LESS.

Top Bottom