• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

ido

They didn't give up, at least.

We all got stuck at some point and asked these dumb questions outloud to no one.

Instro

I'm pretty sure it does that in Super Metroid. I remember there even being a visual aid.

It doesn't, but the item is called the "Morphing Ball" which is pretty self explanatory.

To be fair, the game doesn't come with an instruction manual, so it's pretty much trial-and-error to get anything to work. It actually took me a few minutes to figure out how to roll into a ball and get through that one area.

VC games have an e-manual don't they?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is my first 2D Metroid and I had no idea you can run faster by holding B, and got trolled by the noob-bridge. ;_;

Pineconn

To be fair, the game doesn't come with an instruction manual, so it's pretty much trial-and-error to get anything to work. It actually took me a few minutes to figure out how to roll into a ball and get through that one area.

Press Home and then Manual. There you go, a detailed electronic manual for Super Metroid.

PKrockin

To be fair I can understand having trouble with the red doors. They should have made them only take 1 missile. They hint that missiles are the answer because the doors and the missiles are the same color, but making it take 5 doesn't make sense. Metroid Prime did it better.
Yeah, I think I got stuck on that for a while because I tried firing a missile or two into the door with no response and figured that wasn't it. It would have been better if they made the door flash when hit with a missile.

But not knowing how to use the morph ball right after the game explicitly tells you...

Shahadan

ycantmetroidcrawl.png

I couldn't help myself

Watch it being the most popular post on the community in a few days :lol:

tav7623

Uh....actually it does, once you start up the game hit the home menu then select the button that says Manual and it will bring up the manual for the game.

Joei

I'm sorry, I never understood how anyone could say anything in this game is difficult. I breezed through it when I was 12 and could breeze through it at 31. There are few, if any confusing parts, and most can be solved by using the few tools you are given. I just don't get it.

EDIT - maybe I got lucky with the Maridian pipe, but that wasn't an issue, BUT I could totally see how someone could have trouble there.

Can't tell if these are kids because they actually took the time to post their issue. It is probably a mixed demographic and either way it is hilarious.

No_Style

I'm willing to bet many people felt the same way all those years ago but they never had the outlet to post their shame.

Shahadan

IIRC, a light turned on that followed you but was angled down. Kinda giving you a subtle hint.

Edit: Yep, in the 2nd to last pic.

Yes, btw I laughed at the few miiverse posts saying the light was dumb and useless, then ask how to get the hell out of there :lol:

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This is my first 2D Metroid and I had no idea you can run faster by holding B, and got trolled by the noob-bridge. ;_;
Same here. I played Super Metroid for the first time two years ago and got stuck there for a little while. I need to go back and finish the game sometime.

I first, I was annoyed by the Metroid stuff...but I calmed down when I thought about it for a bit.

But quitting SMW so early because it's "Waayyy too hard" ?

The only things hard in SMW are one or two levels in the Special Zone. -_-

Somnid

Honestly this is hilarious but it's also heart-warming to see people playing this classic for the first time and swapping tips like it's 1994.

Instro

Yeah, I think I got stuck on that for a while because I tried firing a missile or two into the door with no response and figured that wasn't it. It would have been better if they made the door flash when hit with a missile.

But not knowing how to use the morph ball right after the game explicitly tells you...

They do, and they make a very distinctive noise.

A lot of people in this thread dont seem to remember what these games were like as a kid.

Fuck man, going in to school the next day and asking people how to do really stupid and probably easy things was pretty standard back then. Now these people can just ask online and get the answers, of course they get a bunch of asshole old people telling them they are stupid too.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
To be fair I can understand having trouble with the red doors. They should have made them only take 1 missile. They hint that missiles are the answer because the doors and the missiles are the same color, but making it take 5 doesn't make sense. Metroid Prime did it better.

They take 5 because Metroid took 5.

Or One Super Missile when you get them

I know you're not serious, but most of us were also little kids back when we played these games and we did just fine.

Also, I think that, if the Miis are any indication, most of these players are probably not children. Unless these are a bunch of kids pretending to have beards, there's quite a few adults here who were likely enticed by "30 cent classic" and have now discovered some real shit. Their confusion, particularly at the same spot, is pretty funny, but at the same time, it's easy to forget that gaming is very much a "language" that you gradually become fluent in, with many sub-languages based on each game.

Eusis

Press Home and then Manual. There you go, a detailed electronic manual for Super Metroid.
You may need to switch the language to English, but at least everyone posting there should be able to read it in that.
But super mario world is the easiest one!
Yeah, once you master the cape you can basically instant win most stages. Or use a blue yoshi, whichever.

OTOH I somehow fucked up and ran out of lives doing the first stage against, despite beating the game several times and clearing the special stages. Maybe that Game Pad just wasn't the most comfortable to way, or there's enough input latency to fuck me up hardcore. It'd be sad if that's the real reason, that it IS a game he could've handled had the input lag not been terrible.

Übermatik;57913778 said:
RETRO, I know you are reading this post - please, fit 'y cant metroid crawl' somewhere in your next game. Please.

"SR388. SPACE PIRATE RESEARCH LOG, #467: We have been conducted extensive tests upon the captive Metroids for over 3 months now. They excel in most predatory activities- speed, aggression, technique. Our test subjects have been unable to survive for any longer than a minute- those we armed lasted an insignificant matter of time before succumbing to heavy puncture wounds, blood loss and poisoning; the unarmed died in a matter of seconds. Truly, we are close to fully harnessing this remarkably fatal creature's true killing prowess.

However, some concerns remain about certain vulnerabilities in the Metroid's biological makeup. Foremost is a large incompatibility with exposure to low temperatures. Upon discovering this, we tested how a Metroid would react to a sudden blast of cold wind; it proceeded to become immobile, although it eventually recovered. The main concern is a solidification effect on the subject's exoskeleton- were an enemy to exploit this, they could shatter a Metroid to pieces with a follow-up assault on its frozen form. As well as this particular weakness, the Metroids lack an ability to navigate small spaces. One of many physical challenges we ran as part of our evaluation involving having the Metroids "crawl" through a narrow gap in the side of a cavern wall. However, they were unable to complete this task- understandably, this led to much confusion amongst our research team, and much frustration amongst our engineers.

We aim to address these concerns in later possible revisions of the Metroid design. For now, we will continue mass production of the creature, and continue research into other revisions of the parasite. Hopefully, these worrying questions about the capabilities of our most important acquisitions yet will not haunt us for much longer. END TRANSMISSION-"

Wait a few days until they get to the crumbling block bridge.

I won't lie, I got stuck there on my first play through of Super Metroid as well. That was way back in the day when I first rented it for my SNES. I remember calling up a friend for suggestions, and his answer was "did you try holding down the run button?" I didn't even realize that Super Metroid had a run button at that point in the game.

dukeoflegs

The one saying he has played it a million times but doesn't know how to do morph ball is fake. You have to use morph ball to get into that area.

Well, it's not like it wasn't known that outside of the indie scene this kind of game is basically dead. There has been plenty of talk before about how most gamers these days have no interest in figuring things out themselves and need to be told where to go and what to do so this isn't surprising.

I recently saw a show about child psychology and it mentioned something about how younger children can more readily figure out problematic instances such as these because of the way their brains path logical conclusions. Older children and adults will often get stumped on basic, even obvious issues, no matter how intelligent they are.

Maybe this is why we were so damn good at these games when we were younger?

I don't think it applies here (for several reasons but at the least many of them are young kids), but that sounds like the idea that as you gain knowledge you increasing try to solve problems within the confines of your knowledge base. In other words, some simple but ridiculously obtuse problem that borders on the random will be far more quickly solved by a child than say an adult with a phd. The reason is the adult will approach the problem from the, relatively restrictive, hundreds of ways in his knowledge base while a child will just do whatever with no real reasoning.

takriel

Can someone recommend me a good blind walkthrough of Super Metroid? I want to see other people discover the magic of that game!

GooeyHeat

I was just playing this game for the first time recently, and I got noob bridged because of the other Metroid games I've played (original, Zero Mission, Fusion, and Prime 1), none had a run button. So my assumptions kind of killed me there, especially because Fusion and/or Zero Mission, IIRC, have a turbo booster item. Also I only knew that the doors took five missiles from the original.

Still, the morph ball thing is a little much. The morph ball is basically the Metroid thing, man.

Also, whoever called Super Mario World too hard is the real problem.

Top Bottom