• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

sibarraz

Banned
Meh, I can't feel sad for this, is just videogames, I don't care if back then games were harder than today, people play them for fun. If I really wanted to do something that tested my skills I would had done tons of other things

At least that's why I will always hate people that mock others for needing help in videogames, if these were I don't know, an school or college exam I could understand, but anything else, it seems childish to point things out, well people had different priorities

Still, I'm glad to had played metroid in a younger age, it was cool to discover the puzzles, and the atmosphere of that game is superb, is really a game that will never be duplicated.

I found funny the questions, but in a good way, I actuall found awesome that in the future you can actually ask question within the console and that a community could help you

Gartooth

I'm glad at least newer players are giving Super Metroid a chance and trying to play it despite it's age. Hopefully they think more intuitively like how the game tries to teach players through it's level design, in order to grasp it's nuances and enjoy playing it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
some great feedback for the next metroid

bring on the infinite tutorials

Master, I have detected an anomaly in the environment. Master, in front of you. I have calculated that the ceiling is too low, and you will not be able to progress further without the appropriate upgrade. I suggest heading back, and searching unexplored areas. Master.

Madao

and this is why the infuriating tutorials like the one in Skyward Sword exist. these people are the reason those tutorials will never go away and, if there's a new Metroid, it's gonna have a horrible tutorial at the start.

Master, I have detected an anomaly in the environment. Master, in front of you. I have calculated that the ceiling is too low, and you will not be able to progress further without the appropriate upgrade. I suggest heading back, and searching unexplored areas. Master.

You are not authorised to use the morph ball!

...until you go through this 5 minute tutorial section teaching you how to use it, that is!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Meh, I can't feel sad for this, is just videogames, I don't care if back then games were harder than today, people play them for fun. If I really wanted to do something that tested my skills I would had done tons of other things

At least that's why I will always hate people that mock others for needing help in videogames, if these were I don't know, an school or college exam I could understand, but anything else, it seems childish to point things out, well people had different priorities

Still, I'm glad to had played metroid in a younger age, it was cool to discover the puzzles, and the atmosphere of that game is superb, is really a game that will never be duplicated.

I found funny the questions, but in a good way, I actuall found awesome that in the future you can actually ask question within the console and that a community could help you
It's not about asking for help. It's about what they're asking for help on.

GooeyHeat

Also, Miiverse is why Dark Souls 2 should come to Wii U. I'm serious, for the sharing of experiences and the like. It would be perfect. (And hilarious at times.)

RedSwirl

Isn't this exactly WHY Nintendo made MiiVerse in the first place?

Nintendo seems to think the best way for players to figure out how to get through a game's learning curve is community interaction. The first Zelda was designed around this back in the NES era, and friends probably shared tons of secrets for Mario and Super Metroid back in the day. Nintendo has basically just built their own online network for doing this accessible right on the console. This is just MiiVerse working as intended so that new players might even be able to beat difficult old school games. It'd be a miracle if this system actually influenced next-gen game design.

ec0ec0

i hope that everyone here... is aware that, from the people asking how to "metroid crawl", only some are kids... that the sad, sad, sad part of this.

I remember seeing some of the kids of my mom's relatives being unable to advance in Kirby levels because they didn't know to press up to enter the doorways. Said kids also weren't potty trained even though they were 8 or something and had to take a shit behind my car. Make of that what you will.

Wait until we get a Miiverse post from "Jon. A" stating that Super Metroid is his favorite game but he can't escape from Ceres Colony.

Jontron's last name is Jafari, so I have no idea where you got that A from.

Samus is too fat to crawl.

Samus__s_New_Suit_by_BedBendersInc.jpg

Shahadan

It's weird that so many people in this thread think a game telling you how to play is a bad thing.

Super Metroid constantly tells you how to play, just not with text or long cutscenes. That's how good game design should work, that's all.

People are being dicks, though :p

Persona7

Banned
Also, Miiverse is why Dark Souls 2 should come to Wii U. I'm serious, for the sharing of experiences and the like. It would be perfect. (And hilarious at times.)

I always thought that the whole wiki online community for dark souls and demons souls went against the developers intentions of figuring out the game for yourself and using the multiplayer without voice chat to your advantage. So no, that sounds awful.

As for the thread, I am not surprised considering how I assume a lot of people just look up guides when they get stuck for more than ten seconds. At least that is what I have noticed with my younger family members and friends family members.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

oh

oh no

Salsa

random metroid acting as navi

I can see it

OryoN

Yikes! Is this what gaming has come to? Such that mere concept of a game that leaves discovery to the player has no existence in the gaming experience of today's gamers? What will gaming be like when the last of the (currently) old-school gamer dies out? Will stories of such intimate and engaging game design be but myths, with no-one to adequately convey what gaming was like before hand-holding?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! What a horrible future! :(

kirby_fox

Banned
Is this why we haven't had a 2D Metroid game?

...damn kids these days. Do what all of us adults do and spend hours searching until either figuring it or out or giving in and checking online FAQs so we don't show how dumb we are.

sibarraz

Banned
It's not about asking for help. It's about what they're asking for help on.

I think that how they did the questions was dumb.

It will look less stupid if for example they asked where you could find the bombs, or with which kind of weapon you could open a door.

Jawmuncher

Ill admit I get stuck in plenty of old games. But geez o'man you'd never see me cave like that.
Have none of these people ever thought to look at a guide, watch a video, or you know just keep playing and find out what to do on their own?

Really does sum up why we have game design the way we do now. Not saying everything needs to be convoluted and not explained but a better balance definitely needs to be found.

Last bit Miiverse was technically maid so people could ask for help and the like so....you reap what you sow I guess.

hunnies28

"SR388. SPACE PIRATE RESEARCH LOG, #467: We have been conducted extensive tests upon the captive Metroids for over 3 months now. They excel in most predatory activities- speed, aggression, technique. Our test subjects have been unable to survive for any longer than a minute- those we armed lasted an insignificant matter of time before succumbing to heavy puncture wounds, blood loss and poisoning; the unarmed died in a matter of seconds. Truly, we are close to fully harnessing this remarkably fatal creature's true killing prowess.

However, some concerns remain about certain vulnerabilities in the Metroid's biological makeup. Foremost is a large incompatibility with exposure to low temperatures. Upon discovering this, we tested how a Metroid would react to a sudden blast of cold wind; it proceeded to become immobile, although it eventually recovered. The main concern is a solidification effect on the subject's exoskeleton- were an enemy to exploit this, they could shatter a Metroid to pieces with a follow-up assault on its frozen form. As well as this particular weakness, the Metroids lack an ability to navigate small spaces. One of many physical challenges we ran as part of our evaluation involving having the Metroids "crawl" through a narrow gap in the side of a cavern wall. However, they were unable to complete this task- understandably, this led to much confusion amongst our research team, and much frustration amongst our engineers.

We aim to address these concerns in later possible revisions of the Metroid design. For now, we will continue mass production of the creature, and continue research into other revisions of the parasite. Hopefully, these worrying questions about the capabilities of our most important acquisitions yet will not haunt us for much longer. END TRANSMISSION-"

Wonderful! :)

antitrop

Why have I never before in my life played Super Metroid?

In fact, I've never even felt bad about having never played it until this thread. I even own the SNES cart.

I should do that, I haven't felt so ashamed in such a long time. Not sure why it took 9 years for me to suddenly realize "Oh, Super Metroid should probably be a video game that I can say I've completed", though. It's not like I didn't know many people consider it to be the best game of all time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Many people here seem to have forgotten that when Super Metroid was originally released, Nintendo operated an actual telephone hint line for kids (and adults) who couldn't figure out how to proceed in a game.

So... there have always been people who have very basic trouble figuring things out. It was around the beginning of the SNES era that Nintendo began experimenting with various in-game tutorials too. In fact, they may have been one of the pioneers of it.

Don't get me wrong - these posts on Miiverse are hilarious. They're also proof of concept that people are using Miiverse for what Nintendo intended, lol.

Edit: plus I wonder how many of these people aren't reading the digital manuals to the game precisely because they've been conditioned to expect blatantly obvious in-game tutorials. Who reads manuals these days? In fact, games don't come WITH manuals anymore. Back in the day Nintendo manuals actually explained quite a lot about in-game mechanics and strategies.

Shahadan

Why have I never before in my life played Super Metroid?

In fact, I've never even felt bad about having never played it until this thread. I even own the SNES cart.

I should do that, I haven't felt so ashamed in such a long time. Not sure why it took 9 years, though.

0bUu6o4.gif

Go play this shit

Top Bottom