• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Jimrpg

Yakuza-0.jpg

I love the series so much, that I feel like I need to say something about it. It's sink or swim time with Yakuza. Let's get behind one of the best series of recent times.

Yakuza 0 will finally release in the west on January 24th 2017 approximately 2 years after it made its Japan debut. It's a wait that western Yakuza fans have become familiar with and almost embrace as part of their love for it. Good things come for those who wait, I suppose and perhaps the longer the wait, the greater the enjoyment?

It's a curious series, its one that in equal parts have a lot to offer western gamers, but in other areas are unbashedly Japanese that might not click with others. One minute you could be bashing a goon over the head with a bike, the next you could be going to a hostess bar to try and chat up a girl by answering her questions correctly. It might just be these cultural hurdles that have ultimately stopped it from becoming a roaring success, but I'm here to tell you that, if you haven't tried the series, that there is a lot to like here asa whole even if some of the Japanese gameplay and story don't quite jive with you, Yakuza 0 is a perfect chance to try the series and show Sega that there is interest in the west.

Ultimately I'm hoping that people who are curious about Yakuza will take the leap, because let's face it, its sink or swim time for Yakuza and since the digital release of Yakuza 5 which was absolutely dead and buried at one stage, Sega have done everything they possibly could to get more games over to the west. After Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami (translation – Yakuza 1: Extreme) will release in Summer 2017, and Yakuza 6: A Song of Life which just released in December 2016 in Japan, will release Early 2018. If you're counting, that's 9 Yakuza titles Sega have brought to the west and to be quite honest, the series hasn't exactly had mind boggling sales.. At 9.2 million sales worldwide for the series, most of these sales have been from Japan. Now that Sega have announced 3 (THREE) new Yakuza titles, its time for western gamers to tell Sega with their wallets what they really should do Yakuza. If you want more Yakuza games, go preorder Yakuza 0, preferably the physical edition if that's what you'd like Sega to release, considering Yakuza 5 was digital only.

If you're undecided on the series, please read on.

What is Yakuza?

Yakuza is a basically a 3D Streets of Rage with a deep crime story and contains lengthy cutscenes. The series has mainly been set in Tokyo's red light district Kabuki-cho, named in the game as Kamurocho. Each of the mainline Yakuza games have had a section of the game in Kamurocho, and some of the games have also had other areas, for example in Yakuza 2 and Yakuza 5, an area of Dotenbori in Osaka (Sotenbori in the game) is also featured. Yakuza 5 actually had 5 areas in Japan!

While you could say its an open-world game, the area of Kamurocho is quite small. There are no cars and you don't drive to get anywhere. Travel is always on foot, so you'll be running around quite a bit. Fear not though, because there's something around every corner.

The first thing you'll notice is that the recreation of Kabuki-cho is quite beautiful in all its neon light glory and over the series has improved game on game. As you move on with each game, the recurrence of the Kabuki-cho setting makes so much sense. For one, it feels like home, everything is familiar but in a good way, you know where to go to find anything you need. But the main reason the reuse of the area is great, is because the area is part of the lore, character and memories of the series. For example, over here is Serena, the bar that was the hideout in the first game where Kazuma Kiryu looked after Haruka when she was only a child. Over there is Sky Finance, Akiyama's office and one of my favourite characters who was introduced in Yakuza 4. The millenium tower as fans know has so many memories.

Between the story cutscenes, you beat gangs and thugs up, which hopefully lead to a mini-boss or boss character usually with a huge health bar. You have a variety of moves at your disposal. Most moves are a combination of square (reg. Attack) and triangle (strong attack). Circle is to grab/throw. You can side step, block and dodge your opponents. Most fights, particularly the random fights on the street are around 4-5 guys, though the fights that are part of the story missions, have a lot more enemies and can range from anywhere between 10-100 enemies on screen (in Yakuza 5 anyway, the earlier Yakuzas have less). On normal the game is pretty easy and you can make the game as easy or as hard as you like by carrying a stack of energy (health) drinks or convenience store food (also health).

The stories are deep crime sagas and to get the most out of the game, they're not something to be skipped. You need to keep track of the characters because there can be quite a number of them and as they have Japanese names, they can also be quite close in sound. Without going into the stories of each game, every game pretty much has a standalone story, though because there are returning characters and continued motivations, the best starting points in the series are Yakuza 1 (the first game), Yakuza 4 (the first time the main character is not just Kazuma Kiryu (the first three games feature only Kaz), and possibly Yakuza 0 though I have not played it, but its the first PS4 Yakuza game and ultimately the first chronologically. The story has mainly featured the Tojo Clan (which Kazuma is a part of), and the Omi Alliance which has mainly been antagonistic throughout the series.

When you're not watching the cutscenes or wading knee deep through bad guys, then the other big feature of the game is the numerous mini games on offer throughout the game world. Over the series the game has featured Pool, Bowling, Darts, managing Hostess clubs, Hostess dating, Shogi, Mahjong, fishing, Karaoke and Dancing, Golf, Batting Cage, Sega Arcade games and more. They are in general pretty polished mini games.

What is Yakuza 0?

Yakuza 0 is the prequel to the entire series and takes us back to Japan in the 80s. It features Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima and as Wikipedia have put it -

“Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima have suddenly found themselves getting involved in the terrible events of the so-called "Vacant Lot" dispute, which is the centrepiece of power struggle for all the dark organizations across Japan. In order to find out the truth behind such a power struggle, as well as maintain their own innocence and safety, they set out to investigate all the events surrounding the "Vacant Lot" incident.

In Kamurocho, Kiryu is suspected of murder after the man that he has collected money from winds up dead in a piece of real estate that is hotly contested. Kiryu's boss, Sohei Dojima, offers a promotion to second-in-command of the Dojima Family to whomever can find the deed to the land and thus the most ruthless members go after Kiryu. On the run, Kiryu must prove his innocence thus keeping his foster father from facing retribution for introducing him into the clan.

In Osaka, Goro Majima runs a cabaret club after being exiled from the Tojo Clan due to the Ueno-Seiwa hit years earlier. Despite his club being highly successful, he realizes it's nothing more than cage as he's under constant surveillance. One day, he's offered the chance to redeem himself by assassinating a target. He takes the job, but can't go through with it when he realizes his target is in fact a defenseless blind girl. He decides to protect her instead and find out why she's being targeted.”

Yakuza 0 gameplay also features new fighting mechanics for Kazuma and Majima, both have three different styles that they can switch between. For Kazuma he has Brawler (similar to previous games), Beast (powerful but slow) and Rush (a fast boxing style). For Majima he has Thug (balanced style), Slugger (utilises weapons like a baseball bat) and Breaker (utilizes dance moves).

History of Yakuza in the west.

The franchise in my opinion has a bit of a troubled past and hopefully with the release of Yakuza 0, Sega can finally put all the wrongs of the past behind them. With Yakuza 1, Sega believed that for Yakuza to be successful, it had to release with an English dub and though I may be in the minority, I thought it was a really good effort, with good performances from Michael Madsen, Mark Hamill, Eliza Dushku. Yakuza 1 did reasonable sales though probably not anywhere Sega had hoped given it went out after those voice talents. The problem then really started with Yakuza 2, when the western release came almost a full 2 years after the Japanese release in 2008. I doubt anyone had their PS2 still plugged in at that stage, considering the PS3 released in 2006. When unsuprisingly Yakuza 2 bombed, that was pretty much one nail in the coffin for Yakuza and Kaz.

Out of nowhere, Sega announced Yakuza 3 for a 2010 release (1 year after Japan) for the west, but drew huge ire from fans of the series, when they announced that they would cut certain aspects such as hostess clubs and a japanese quiz Answer x Answer from the game citing that these weren't aspects western audiences would be able interested in and possibly complete. That backlash possibly carried over to Yakuza 4 despite Sega learning its lesson and keeping the entire game in tact. Though it received generally favourable reviews and enjoyed by many of its fans, its sales were again I believe not good. Despite this, Yakuza: Dead Souls the series Zombie spin off came over to the west one year later. It got panned by critics and sales were bad. That might have been it for any other series. For a long time after that series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi had no news for western fans regarding a Yakuza 5 release, a game that fans were desperate for as it was a content heavy game (45 hour story, 5 cities). It finally came on PS3 as a digital download on PSN much to the disappointment of many physical copy collectors and at a time when much of the western audience had moved onto the PS4. There's been no word on sales except that they have been within expectations.

Future of the series.

During the Playstation Experience in December 2016, it was announced that Yakuza: Kiwami (Summer 2017) and Yakuza 6 (early 2018) were both coming over to the west. For Yakuza fans, this was pretty much hitting the Jackpot.

The fate of the series in the west now rests with the gamers. Yakuza 6 will be the ninth game they bring across and if it tanks, the series's future really hangs in the air. Yakuza needs a breakout hit to convince Sega executives that this is a series that has interest here and that the series misfortune so far has been one mismanagement after another.

By all accounts from import owners – Yakuza Zero is a good game.

Yakuza 0 Media

E3 2016 Yakuza 0 Trailer – Here you can get a taste of what the game is like.

Yakuza 0 Nightlife Trailer – This gives a good idea of the mini games in the game.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Demo Gameplay 28 min

Ryu Ga Gotoku Walkthrough Part 1

Preorder

Show Yakuza some love and preorder it. Yakuza needs some traction to ensure the games keep coming over. None of these are afflilate links by the way.

Play-Asia US (US$60)

Play-Asia Europe (US$60)

Amazon (US$51)

Ozgameshop (Europe) (Approx US$47, AU$65)

Other Neogaf Yakuza Threads

Yakuza Community OT

Yakuza Kamurocho Starter Guide – Excellent primer on the series from Irishninja

TL;DR – Preorder Yakuza

Receipts

WhVVMom.jpg

2329884-abzlot.gif

EDIT:

Playstation Network Europe/Australia January SALE

Yakuza 4 (AU$10.45 / €6.99 - German Store)

Yakuza 5 (AU$20.45 / €13.49 - German Store)

Yakuza: Dead Souls (AU$10.45 / €6.99 - German Store)

Yakuza Zero Japanese Import Impressions from the OT Thread

So, finished this last night. Still need to finish the final two subquests that only unlock when you're in the final chapter because by that time it was about 4am this morning and I wanted to go all the way (after blasting through Ch10 to the end in one session).

It was so good. Of the ones I've played (1, 2, 3, 0) it was my favourite of all of them. The main story was great (especially in the second half when things started to really heat up), the substories were hilarious, the property management/cabaret stuff was super addictive and tied into the substories really well, switching up styles added a lot more variety to combat, the music was up to the usual high standard (with a few tracks in particular really standing out), and I just loved how everything tied in to 1 and how it let you see more of old favourites in completely different circumstances.

So yeah, Sega need to localise the remasters and then this already.

Resident Yakuza Expert Shadowman16 who plats every Yakuza game.

Ok, finally done with the story after 90 hours. Just shy of 80% completion on the completion list.

So in terms of the series this is pretty much one of the best. Excellent story, combat system and lots of great things to do in the in game world. Difficulty is a tad on the easy side for the first few chapters, and things really don't get doing until around 60% through the game (where the difficulty also picks up) even when playing on hard. Its far more focused than Yakuza 5, and has a far more believable story compared to parts of 3 and 4.

EDIT 2:

Find out more about the developmental history of Yakuza and the developers who made it, in this excellent ongoing Youtube series from YakuzaFan - Forging The Dragon: The Making of Yakuza (shamelessly stolen from Redx508). Link to his thread here.

Forging The Dragon [Part 1] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 2] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 3] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 4] - Yakuza Fan

Forging The Dragon [Part 5] - Yakuza Fan

I'm pleased there's another thread spreading the good word.

Imported Kiwami but decided to wait on this - couldn't be more hyped.

Avtomat

Are some of your gifs from yakuza 5? never been into Yakuza before but I wondered into a YT play through of Yakuza 5 a few months back and got caught up in the story and watched it like a soap opera.

Rymuth

I believed in this series from day one.

We can't have too many threads espousing the manliness of Kazuma Kiryu.

Tapejara

I told myself I'd beat Yakuza 5 and Dead Souls before this dropped, but I've barely made a dent in 5 and haven't touched Dead Souls. Want to finish them, but I also don't want to get burned out.

In any case, 0 is still day one no matter what.

I have two copies pre-ordered. One at Best Buy (for the GCU discount) and one at GameStop (for the poster)

This is up there as one of my favorite series and certainly one that I own the most games of. This includes duplicates, all Western releases, Japanese releases, PSP games, imports, merchandise etc.

I encourage everyone to check out YakuzaFan.com and their content. Good folk.

I have to say, the Yakuza community is one of the most loyal, enjoyable, and dedicated I've ever come across. I really feel like WE'VE made this release happen. I'm incredibly proud of the community efforts to get this series the exposure it deserves, as well as SEGA's open minded and approach to listening to their fans. These games always feel like a labor of love with lots of heart and passion poured into them - something I feel is generally lacking in todays industry. It's so refreshing to have a series of games that are all about fun, over the top, cathartic experiences and not overly grounded in reality. Games that don't take themselves seriously and embrace and revel in their eccentricities, and that's why I'll forever champion this series!

Spread the word, and feel the heat!

jrush64

Banned
Started playing Yakuza 5 recently, loved Kazuma's part but Saejima's is the most boring stuff I've played in a Yakuza game ever. I definitely remember not liking Saejima in Yakuza 4 either.

Anyway, looking forward to this. More Kazuma and Majima.

Raw64life

This has always been a series on my radar but I've never taken the plunge. As a Dragon Quest fan, I don't know if my heart can take becoming a fan of another franchise where I'll be in constant agony over when, if at all, its games will be released in the west.

you know what? Your excellent OP has sold me on this. As a fan of Sega of Japan's quirky arcade-influenced output, this franchise always seemed like something I'd enjoy, and a fresh start on PS4 seems like the perfect place to begin.

Rest assured knowing your well-written OP has gained at least one new customer.

GeeTeeCee

I've had 0 pre-ordered for a month or so now. I jumped on board the series with 4. I'm happy Sega (and Sony?) are back to giving the series a fair chance outside of Japan again; let's not let the series slip away like it almost did last time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm going to start with Yakuza 4 for the first time soon, then by the time I get through 5 and then 0, I bet Kuwami will be out. And then 6 at the end of the year. I could literally be playing nonstop Yakuza all year, ha.

mp1990

Banned
Started playing Yakuza 5 recently, loved Kazuma's part but Saejima's is the most boring stuff I've played in a Yakuza game ever. I definitely remember not liking Saejima in Yakuza 4 either.

Anyway, looking forward to this. More Kazuma and Majima.
It's unbelievable how they always manage to fuck up Saejima's parts in the game. In my opinion, he's the best character to play as, there's a weight in playing with him that I really dig, but somehow his parts are always the most boring. That said, just power through it, because Yakuza 5's ending makes up for it.

I dunno why there's so much hate for Yakuza 3. In my opinion it has the best story for the Ps3 games
Y3 is not a bad game but you can see that early gen jank plastered all over it. And the sequels are so much of a improvement I just can't recommend anyone to start with it.

Humdinger

Thanks for the informative OP. I only had time to read a portion this morning, but I'll come back and read the rest later. Just in the brief portion I read, I already learned some things.

I am a newcomer to the series and still undecided about whether I want to buy in. Threads like this help me to better understand the game. Thanks for doing the leg work.

Yakuza GAF is strong.

Already got it pre-ordered, I'm counting the days.

I started the Yakuza series with Binary Domain, funnily enough. That game came out of nowhere for me, but I loved it enough to go and look up what else the developers had made. I was the classic clueless dude who thought Yakuza games were just Japanese knock-offs of the GTA series, but Binary Domain put them on my radar, and when Yakuza 4 went free on PS+ I jumped in.

Long story short, I fell in love pretty much immediately, and over the last year I've caught up with all the currently-released English games. I have copies of Kenzan and Ishin on my shelf waiting for my Japanese skills to improve enough, but for now Zero is going to swallow up my life. I'll be there day one for Kiwami and 6, too.

I'm going to start with Yakuza 4 for the first time soon, then by the time I get through 5 and then 0, I bet Kuwami will be out. And then 6 at the end of the year. I could literally be playing nonstop Yakuza all year, ha.

I'd encourage you to, if you can, play through them in order. I'd recommend holding off 4+5 and start with 0, then Kiwami, then try to somehow snag a copy of 2 and play it. 3, 4, 5 are rather readily available thankfully.

delSai

Preorderd a while ago. Can't wait, love Yakuza and gonna buy every Yakuza game they'll translate.

So is there no special edition in Europe at all?

Nope, doesn't seem like it. The only way to get the Special Edition is by importing i guess.

Can't wait. I still can't believed the didn't localize Ishin, seemed like the perfect stand alone title to reintroduce the series in the west.

Zhao_Yun

Still want to play through 5 before I dive into 0. From a story perpective it probably doesn't matter much, but I feel that going back to the PS3 after having played one title on the PS4 might be hard.

Tapejara

I dunno why there's so much hate for Yakuza 3. In my opinion it has the best story for the Ps3 games

Yakuza 3 was the first in the series I played and I absolutely adored it. I thought the story was awesome.

This has always been a series on my radar but I've never taken the plunge. As a Dragon Quest fan, I don't know if my heart can take becoming a fan of another franchise where I'll be in constant agony over when, if at all, its games will be released in the west.

The good thing is, we at least know that Yakuza 6 and Kiwami (the remake of the first game) are for sure coming.

Tarahiro

Thanks for this thread! It reminded me that I still need to preorder. I didn't realise it was out this soon so I will preorder when I get home later!

Yakuza games are so good!

I'll be getting 0 day one. I've already 100%ed the Japanese version and loved it to pieces, its easily one of the best in the series for me - from the story, to the activities (bar cat fighting) and side stories its just a class act all round. Looking forward so much to replaying it in English.

Are some of your gifs from yakuza 5? never been into Yakuza before but I wondered into a YT play through of Yakuza 5 a few months back and got caught up in the story and watched it like a soap opera.

Yeah, the Kiryu/Akiyama tag team attack is a gif from 5, as is the Kiryu dodging the missile gif (one of my favourite of all time).

I doubt that it will be, but it already runs at 60fps anyway. It's a game that was also made for PS3 so it's not exactly a technical marvel.

Pity they won't optimise it for the Pro. The game has screen tearing and some minor frame rate hitches in a couple of areas, on the Pro I'm fairly certain it'd be at least a locked 1080p/60FPS and that'd be glorious.

mp1990

Banned
Still want to play through 5 before I dive into 0. From a story perpective it probably doesn't matter much, but I feel that going back to the PS3 after having played one title on the PS4 might be hard.
You gonna want to play 5 first because the series is very iterative when it comes to mechanics, each game improves a whole lot over the previous one and add many new mechanics too, so playing through the older ones after 0 might feel lacking.

Rymuth

It's unbelievable how they always manage to fuck up Saejima's parts in the game. In my opinion, he's the best character to play as, there's a weight in playing with him that I really dig,
Saejima gets some of the best character arcs in the latter games but it seems Nagoshi wanted to unload some gameplay mechanics too esoteric for even Kiryu. My eyes couldn't believe how far removed the bear hunting segments were to everything else in the game.

Jimrpg

I'm pleased there's another thread spreading the good word.

I believed in this series from day one.

We can't have too many threads espousing the manliness of Kazuma Kiryu.

I've seen quite a few Yakuza threads lately, but its the perfect time to preorder the game if you haven't because Sega need to know how many copies to print. Going by past estimates, they might print too few copies.

Yes to the first, and I'm unsure of the second, I believe so, if not the fourth game.

i'm buying 58 copies whos with me

Can you buy 58 copies of Ishin and Kenzan so we get them over here too?

I told myself I'd beat Yakuza 5 and Dead Souls before this dropped, but I've barely made a dent in 5 and haven't touched Dead Souls. Want to finish them, but I also don't want to get burned out.

In any case, 0 is still day one no matter what.

5 is a difficult game to get through because its a lot longer than the others. I also think its easy to get burned out just playing through the main story, because there isn't much variety when played that way. If you can get through 5 I think there's more than enough reason to get 0. ;) Dead Souls is quite seperate to the mainline series (I also need to play it myself).

Is this optimized for the Pro?

I don't remember. I know that for the regular PS4 its 1080p/60fps. The PS3 version is 720p/30fps and also not coming to the west.

I've not ever played one, so I guess I'm your target audience. I read the whole thread. Im really not convinced to buy it. You clearly care so I'll tell you why you failed to convince me.

1. You don't really explain the combat. Is it a high point or just there? Is there variety? Bosses are just bullet sponges (fist sponges)? How is that fun?

2. So the only thing I know about the story is that it's got overly long cutscenes and it will be tough to remember characters names. Give better examples of why this story is interesting. I can watch 1000 crime procedurals on TV. Why should I watch this instead?

3. Show, don't say. Don't tell me it's good. Tell me why it's good. I don't know you. I don't trust you at your word for something like this.

4. Cut out like half of your words. You don't need them and this is too long. Literally half.

5. You need to address how going 0, 1, 5, 6 is going to be remotely ok.

6. The history of Yakuza does not matter.

I don't mean to be harsh. You clearly care about this, so I'm just giving feedback you can hopefully take and use to convince me and others this is worth my time.

Top Bottom