• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Worldwide Sales Reach 9 Million Yakuza 6 Ships 500k Across Japan & Asia

DIzChDRaSVCKtI9eA1Bp_yakuza-zero-money-slap-animated-gif-ps4-game.gif

Can't wait to get my hands on Yakuza 0.

How does that compare to other games in the series? I'd guess it's pretty good? Beat Takeshi must have brought in an extra sale or two, I bet.

I'm so glad this series caught on in the west. Yakuza 1 and 3 are still on my top 20 list.

Was at Star Wars Celebration VI several years back and brought a copy of Yakuza 1 for Mark Hamill to sign. Not only did he have the strongest "what the fuck?"expression on his face, he pandered to my obnoxious fanboyism of a then-unheard of series with the greatest Majima Goro style, "Kazuuumaaaaaaaa!"

One of my favorite series and I've bought PlaySation consoles just to play it. It deserves to be played more, especially outside of Japan.

I really hope Sega starts releasing them on PC to reach an even wider audience, but I'm happy with just localizations.

so can someone explain what makes this franchise different and better than other similar open world games?

The sheer amount of fun side-activities and the hilarity of it all, for starters. The really colorful characters and combat that's as fun as it can be absurd. The setting is also refreshing from the American cities we typically get in a lot of open world games.

I'm so glad this series caught on in the west. Yakuza 1 and 3 are still on my top 20 list.

Was at Star Wars Celebration VI several years back and brought a copy of Yakuza 1 for Mark Hamill to sign. Not only did he have the strongest "what the fuck?"expression on his face, he pandered to my obnoxious fanboyism of a then-unheard of series with the greatest Majima Goro style, "Kazuuumaaaaaaaa!"

Holy Shit, that's awesome :D

explodet

Confirmation that we're getting Kiwami and 6 put a smile on my face. Hard to believe I got into this series because I impulse bought a copy of 3 for twenty bucks.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Hamill's a professional.

Menitta

Fantastic! I'm so hyped for Yakuza 0, Kiwami and 6. 0 game looks like it's gonna be the best in the series. The fact that Kiwami is coming makes me think they're actually gonna try this time.

Holy shit that's awesome!

so can someone explain what makes this franchise different and better than other similar open world games?

Imagine the following;

Streets of Rage in Japan
Add two table spoons of Japanese random hilarity
A dash of organised crime
Set on to boil for approximately epic story

A dish best served after flipping off a fat man into two goons

Surrounded+one+way+to+clear+the+room+src+yakuza+4_bcb4a1_4791729.gif

Unknown?

What?! Was he a voice actor in Yakuza or was it completely unrelated?

500k for Y6 is good though, about on par with other Yakuza titles.

What?! Was he a voice actor in Yakuza or was it completely unrelated?

500k for Y6 is good though, about on par with other Yakuza titles.

MH was the voice actor for Majima Goro in the first Yakuza on the PS2. The English translation was so bad Sega decided to save their money and stick to subs for the rest of the series.

Jhoan

The sales are well deserved. I jumped into the series with the very first one and instantly fell in love with it. The localization was hilariously bad in retrospect but the actors did the best that they could with the script.The script was laden with way too many F bombs in attempt to be gritty/like GTA.

When Yakuza 2 was announced for the west, I was excited and gleefully bought it day one. The fact that it goes for $150+ on eBay easily means that I made the right choice. My brother got Yakuza 3 and 4 as gifts last year and I've been watching him play the former. Okinawa is a different setting but relaxing as sin. Can't wait for 0 and Kiwami.

I think the series scratches the itch of being a modern version of Kunio Kun/River City Ransom, a Japan sim, and featuring way too much melodrama/soap opera twists after the first game.

Aki-at

And to think that figure is mostly thanks to Japan. Deserved every sale and more, my favourite series.

Not making this series successful in the West is such a shame for Sega. Could have been a really strong franchise for more years to come.

How does that compare to other games in the series? I'd guess it's pretty good? Beat Takeshi must have brought in an extra sale or two, I bet.

It's probably going to end up being the worst selling mainline entry in the series but will still have sold more than any of the spinoffs.

I wish it would sell even more. Easily my favourite modern franchise thanks to its awesome combat, heat actions and excellent side activities. It blows all other open world games away for me - even though most of the series takes place in the same city for 7+ main games I never get bored of exploring Kamuracho (I know the city so well that it sorta feels like home now!). The side activities especially are such a staple of the series for me - it taught me how to not suck at Mah Jong, actually enjoy Billiards and has an awesome virtual arcade (especially 0, 5 and 6 with all the Sega goodness).
Plus its one of the few games to actually make me laugh, some of the side stories throughout the series have been really nuts, the combat doesn't take itself too seriously which is why the series has had you fighting against people in diapers, fighting nude in a steamy bathhouse, fighting not only tigers but bears and... well whoever the hell this guy is:

DOWN

Banned
I have yet to play this series but definitely will now that Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Yakuza 6 are all coming West

SephLuis

I really hope that when Y0 hits, we will have a OT filled with newcomers.

A lot of people are curious about the game and Y0 is a great package. I just hope that they put the money down once the game releases.

firelogic

I absolutely love this series. It's quite possibly my favourite long running franchise. It's a damn shame the sales aren't at least in the 15 million range.

Jimrpg

My ballpark estimate for western sales.

As a rough estimate for Japan sales - 8 mainline titles avg about 700k sales (that's a rather high estimate too, considering I don't think any of them were million sellers in Japan), and another 6 smaller releases (kenzan, ishin, 1&2hd, dead souls, psp games 1 and 2) avg around 300k. That's 5.6m + 1.8m = 7.4m meaning that the 6 Western yakuza titles avg 1.8m. Not great, but not a total disaster.

So approx 1.8m on the low side to 3.0m on the high side.

Wonko_C

Yakuza is its own thing. It isn't really an open world game in the same vein as GTA, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, etc. It's more like a beat'em up/JRPG set in a small Japanese district. There are quests, craftable weapons and armor, "random battles" (but in the later games you can see where the enemies are and you can avoid them if you want) dungeons (more like small stages where you beat up some thugs until you get to the boss), sidequests, and lots of activities and minigames which are actually well designed and fun to play by themselves, and lots of cutscenes and dialogue (which are really good).

After you play it you'll ask: Are there other games like Yakuza out there?

I really hope that when Y0 hits, we will have a OT filled with newcomers.

A lot of people are curious about the game and Y0 is a great package. I just hope that they put the money down once the game releases.

That is my current stance. 0 seems like a good place to jump in so I pre-ordered it.

Series looks mental but they just kept passing me by. Hope Kiwami 2 also happens so I can play them all PS3/4.

BigEmil

With the amount of Yakuza games they have including remasters and spinoffs sales this isn't that impressive

Top Bottom