• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Worldwide Sales Reach 9 Million Yakuza 6 Ships 500k Across Japan & Asia

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Love this series, a shame we only get 1 game for every 2 released in Japan.

We get every mainline entry. Not a bad deal IMO.

How does that compare to other games in the series? I'd guess it's pretty good? Beat Takeshi must have brought in an extra sale or two, I bet.

It's on-par with the last entry (Yakuza 0) which is pretty great considering Y6 is the first PS4-only entry and most of the fans seem reluctant to upgrade. Y0 PS3 outsold Y0 PS4 by a huge margin.

LAM09

I hope Y0 release in the West is a big hit and great start for newcomers with Y1 - Kiwami to follow in a few months. This year is big for series

Menitta

I would say Sleeping Dogs is the closest one. It has a lot of GTA-like elements, but it also has some very good melee combat mechanics from what I remember.

Sleeping Dogs is definitely the closest to Yakuza. It's got the combat system with what are essentially heat moves with the environment.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sleeping Dogs isn't that close to Yakuza at all. I would describe Yakuza as a JRPG before I would an open world game.

With the amount of Yakuza games they have including remasters and spinoffs sales this isn't that impressive

Of course it's not that impressive, the games don't sell well in the West at all. When put through the prism of mostly Asia sales, it's not too bad though.

AntMurda

I'm still shocked that the series survived this long. The first 4-5 games had huge budgets and sold what? 300k at best in Japan?

I'm still shocked that the series survived this long. The first 4-5 games had huge budgets and sold what? 300k at best in Japan?

No, they sold gangbusters in Japan from the start. The early games were the best selling ones in fact. They were selling like 500k on the first run, and then another 500k on the reprint.

I really hope that when Y0 hits, we will have a OT filled with newcomers.

A lot of people are curious about the game and Y0 is a great package. I just hope that they put the money down once the game releases.
Now that Totobeni isn't around to lie to people about the quality of Y4 and telling people to skip it, that has a better chance of happening

TreIII

Definitely deserves more, but I'm glad to see the series still thriving.

I know the reasons why they got passed, but I'm still sad we'll never get Kenzan and Ishin over in the West.

Well deserved for both the series and 6, Sega can actually show some foresight now and again. Localising for the Asian market and releasing the mainline games for the west via DD are very good moves. Helps expand and maintain a user base.

Yakzuza games rank as my favourite games series.

PAGING SonofSparda. SonofSparda to the new Yakuza thread, stat.

Check out this thread.
Hahaha. I was about to post that then I saw that you've beat me to the punch. Instead I'll just my reaction to the news then.

azXVet30H.gif

Also, Japan and Asia have done their parts. Now it's time for us to not only support the western releases but also promote them any chance we get. So get ready guys. We've got work to do.

azX6ghzmh.gif

I hate that overly scowly Kiryu model though. Y6's model looks much closer to what I imagined an HD Kiryu would look like.
I don't mind it really. Kiryu being overly angry in that time of his life makes sense story-wise, so I'm okay with his model in Kiwami. Though, I agree that he looks much better in Y6.

I think they've said something about the possibility of it happening (or something along those line) but nothing more.

Though if they DID do something like that then it'd probably be in the Y6 engine right? They probably don't want to go back to the PS3/PS4 format that they did with YKiwami now that they've moved on to the PS4 exclusive format that they have now.

Same should also apply for any tie-in games/spinoffs.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Though if they DID do something like that then it'd probably be in the Y6 engine right? They probably don't want to go back to the PS3/PS4 format that they did with YKiwami now that they've moved on to the PS4 exclusive format that they have now.

Kiwami 2 with the Y6 engine would be sooo sick, but it's a pipedream right now IMO.

Kiwami 2 with the Y6 engine would be sooo sick, but it's a pipedream right now IMO.

Yeah, probably not happening anytime soon. Apparently Y6 doesn't even have
the whole of Kamurocho available
and for a Y2 remake, they'd not only have that but Osaka as well.

Not to mention redoing so many of the assets. We can still dream though.

Spin-offs would surly use Y6's engine but Kiwami 2 might still go for Y0 engine. I mean they already have a lot of assets ready from Y0 and Kiwami which will make the development much quicker. And I'm not just talking about Kamurocho itself, but even the reoccurring and continues side stories and characters from Y0 -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2.

Honestly I think I would even prefer it if they did Kiwami 2 on Y0's engine. The little bit of 60fps gameplay that I got with Y0's demo was soooo much more enjoyable that I think it absolutely worth the trade off for having less impressive visuals.

Which games were released in the USA? And which ones are on their way?
Everything's been released except Kenzan and Ishin, which are set in feudal Japan. We will most likely never get them.

Upcoming games are Yakuza 0 (prequel), Kiwami (remake of Y1), and Yakuza 6.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
As much as I love the Yakuza games, I've always found them difficult to recommend as the series goes on, as there's just so much backstory and further reading to be done if you want to understand even half of what's happening. Good luck to anyone starting with 5, you'll need it.

So I am hopeful for 0. Beginning of the timeline, hopefully removed enough from the extended continuity that newcomers won't be overwhelmed, and the application of 'styles' to the combat system gives the impression of a far deeper experience than prior. Taking the level of content seen in 5 and instead focusing it onto two characters instead of five seems like a great idea, and pretty much all feedback on 0 since its Japanese release would confirm that.

With Kiwami following it, this could be a great time to get new people into the series, without the unenviable task of having to explain a decade's worth of narrative progression to them.

Menitta

I still can't believe it's coming over. I was almost 100% sure that would never be localized. You don't know how happy to be wrong I am.

Honestly, prior to PSX, I thought either Yakuza Kiwami or 6 had an even chance of being localised. Both make sense in terms of release. I was not expecting both.

sublimit

Banned
Six of those WW sales are mine. :p

Yakuza 2
Yakuza Kenzan (played a bit using a Youtube fan translation then i gave up)
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza Dead Souls
Yakuza 5 ( i still need to play this one though)

ZeroX03

Banned
Kiwami announcement shocked me.

I also didn't even notice for days because the thread just said Yakuza 6 and I didn't see the logo.

rackham

Banned
Never played a Yakuza game. I consider Sleeping Dogs to be one of the best open world narratives. How does the best Yakuza game compare?

ZeroX03

Banned
Never played a Yakuza game. I consider Sleeping Dogs to be one of the best open world narratives. How does the best Yakuza game compare?

It's not really much of an open world game at all.

And Yakuza is far more story centric than Sleeping Dogs. They're all quite a bit better. Again, they're more JRPG.

AlucardGV

Banned
Hoping for a PC version of any Yakuza title.

sega doesn't care about bringing them to the west and it happens that sony kind of does, so i don't think you'll see a sony localization on pc. until a third publisher come and strike a better deal with sega or they do it by themselves

we probably won't hear anything regarding a new project until we're closer to TGS next year, odds are it might be another spin-off, but Kiwami 2 would definitely be a welcomed surprise.

orochi91

sega doesn't care about bringing them to the west and it happens that sony kind of does, so i don't think you'll see a sony localization on pc. until a third publisher come and strike a better deal with sega or they do it by themselves
Sony is localizing Yakuza games?

Top Bottom