• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Jockel

I've never played much of any of the yakuza games, but bought Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin to play while I wait for zero- why was this series under my radar for so long?

Jeels

Threw my avatar into the Yakuza support. :) I want quirky fun games like this to get more exposure. Can't wait to play my first Yakuza game.

Excellent! I haven't been excited for reviews of a game in a long time.

Of course that's always something to be mindful of. Yakuza is niche for a reason. My excitement mostly stems from curiosity of how it's seen in the west. In addition Yakuza 5 did pretty well all things considered and 0 seems to be better in almost every way so I'm also curious to how it'll score in comparison.

my main complaint with these fuckin games is the cursor on the map. iirc, it follows the arrow instead of the direction which makes it confusing

Day One. Could I get one of those fancy avatar thingies?
nHLvJ755D.png

If anyone can Kazify my iFruit girl, I'd love that! Yakuza forever!
nHLlMFrx3.png

I've never played much of any of the yakuza games, but bought Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin to play while I wait for zero- why was this series under my radar for so long?

Speaking for myself, it just felt like the releases were very inconsistent stateside. I would be curious about this or that entry in the series, but I would end up being concerned about prior knowledge requirements of the series in terms of the story.

Preordered the game today and I can't wait to give it a roll! I hope the game does well here in the West.

I missed this whole Yakuza supporter avatar thing. Can I have my avatar edited with that?

edit: eh..my avatar is probably too small. lol

Dmax3901

How varied is the gameplay so far? Do you find yourself doing a lot of different fun things or have to gotten into some repetitive things yet?

There's plenty of side activities to do, like, a lot. Batting range, karaoke, bowling, mah jong and arcades (I played Space Harrier, game is hard) are among the ones I've checked out. Some of these have been integrated into the main story missions, but for the most part the game has been go to place, watch lengthy cutscene, fight some dudes, go to other place, watch another cutscene, fight some dudes.

Not necessarily a complaint as the fighting is quite fun and the cutscenes are quite engaging a lot of the time. I'm also pretty early on from what I can gather.

Jimrpg

There's plenty of side activities to do, like, a lot. Batting range, karaoke, bowling, mah jong and arcades (I played Space Harrier, game is hard) are among the ones I've checked out. Some of these have been integrated into the main story missions, but for the most part the game has been go to place, watch lengthy cutscene, fight some dudes, go to other place, watch another cutscene, fight some dudes.

Not necessarily a complaint as the fighting is quite fun and the cutscenes are quite engaging a lot of the time. I'm also pretty early on from what I can gather.

Yeah for Yakuza 5 because the main story was really long I just focused on that alone but I think it's better to mix it up with the side stories and mini games. Yakuza 0 is only 25 hours so will give people plenty of opportunity to do that.

With stuff like this - side activities are a must
https://twitter.com/NormalMode/status/821552111431233541
Credit jimmyfenix from the other thread!

ZeroX03

Banned
Between the marketing, game quality and retail presence I would expect it to be on the upper tier of Yakuza title sales if not the top. That doesn't mean great sales though. We're still talking like 100k~ between all English regions.

I expect Y0 to sell as well as Berseria if not more :V

Lol no it won't. Zestiria on PC sold like 3x what a Yakuza title normally sells.

zhixson

Things feel different this time. It's almost as if the planets are aligning and this game might do really, really well in the west.

Shoeless

I keep hearing this game is somewhat similar to the dynasty warrior games, is there some truth to that?

Only in so far as beating up groups of guys is a regular occurrence. But it's not huge armies in big empty spaces, usually just a group of goons on the street or in a building.

Of course there's also a lot more to the game than just the beat 'em up element, so I wouldn't say the two games are all that closely related.

mauaus

Only in so far as beating up groups of guys is a regular occurrence. But it's not huge armies in big empty spaces, usually just a group of goons on the street or in a building.

Of course there's also a lot more to the game than just the beat 'em up element, so I wouldn't say the two games are all that closely related.

What

Where are you hearing that
Greg Miller mentioned it a few times

Menitta

I have no idea how he would draw that comparison at all. I'm a huge fan of both franchises and the similarities are very, very minimal at best.

The only similarity I can draw is that regular combos are structured like musou. I.E.Square X number of times and ending with Triangle. (I've only played Hyrule Warriors) Other than that, they're completely different. You can do way more stuff with one of the styles than you can with your average Musou character.

Edit: btw I'm not trying to rag on musou. I really liked Hyrule Warriors.

Greg Miller seems like a nice guy and all, but saying Yakuza is like Dynasty Warriors...wut?

Even if he meant the fighting, there's way better comparisons to make. Comparing something to Dynasty Warriors gives a completely inaccurate representation. Not sure how he can be so well-versed with Playstation and think that's good critical analysis.

Here is a question, do you think it will be hard to go back and play 2-5 after playing 0? I wanted to replay the old games again but it won't happen before 0 is released.

SephLuis

It's 3am here and I just finished writing my review.

For everything I love about this series, it ain't easy writing everything down.

Here is a question, do you think it will be hard to go back and play 2-5 after playing 0? I wanted to replay the old games again but it won't happen before 0 is released.
That's a tough question. I had no problem going back and forth between 3, 4 and 5 but with Zero doing lots of new things to combat like styles and the game being 60fps... idk man.

I do know one thing though. If you get hooked to Yakuza, you'll enjoy the other games in the series. So there is that.

Eastern Standard Time checking in. past midnight here:
5 more days to go!!!!!!
Yes man!

And with Nioh's final demo getting announced (which will happen before Zero) I think the wait will feel much more bearable now :)

TheGentleman

Neo Member
Pre-ordered and can't wait to try Yakuza 0!

Been looking forward to the release of this game for quite a while now.

If its not to much to ask can I have a Yakuza supporter banner as well?

Top Bottom