• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 Announcement Trailer + Boxart SEGA HAS LEARNED

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
FLEABttn said:
I'm not going to lie: there was something both hilarious and deeply satisfying about going to a Smile Burger and saying to a girl, "Hey, I like burgers, want to fuck?" And it actually working.

Thanks for the effort with Y4 though. Y3 was one of the better games of 2010.

PS drop some PSO news please
Heh, yeah - there was some humor present in the whole situation. They actually re-worked a lot of things to try and make that fit a bit more, but it's much more natural in the setting it was intended to be.

As to PSO... nothing from me. Consider me stoked for any news about PSO2 from Japan, but that's for another topic. : )

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RubyEclipse said:
We've gone a step further, too! Smile Burger dating is out the window, and in are these fancy new places called Hostess Clubs, where you pay lots of money on expensive drinks and food so that you can build up 'hearts' with a girl. It throws the Yakuza 3 continuity out the window. And we're glad for that.

Seriously though, we do hope people will appreciate the steps taken to make the entire game more authentic to the original series. Changing Rex to Mame was just one of many steps that our producer here (Yas on the Yakuza forums) took to try and stay true to the games.

<3

Removing features from Yakuza 3 make me stay away from it. By keeping the entire game intact, I have zero reason to miss the game.

When it is getting released?

Peff

Great news, definitely picking it up. Can't say I cared about Rex's name, but it's the little details like that that can really show the care put into the localization.

And since we're asking about other games, should Valkyria Chronicles fans be hopeful about VC3? It looks like the team really went all out with that one and it'd be a shame not to release it.

EDIT: ^March 15/18th I think?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Peff said:
Great news, definitely picking it up. Can't say I cared about Rex's name, but it's the little details like that that can really show the care put into the localization.

And since we're asking about other games, should Valkyria Chronicles fans be hopeful about VC3? It looks like the team really went all out with that one and it'd be a shame not to release it.

With the PSP2 announcement, they should also do a day and date release on PSN because it will be hard to buy UMDs now that they will be completely useless when my PSP-1000 dies.

(runs to buy a backup PSP just in case)

Oh yeah, please release VC3, please release VC3, Please release VC3.... Don't make me import it, because I will if it is staying in Japan.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Hcoregamer00 said:
<3

Removing features from Yakuza 3 make me stay away from it. By keeping the entire game intact, I have zero reason to miss the game.

When it is getting released?
It's not 100%, to be fair. (We had to choose between Answer X Answer, which is the Japanese trivia game, or pushing our release out by a number of months) But just about everything else is there, and we did include as much stuff as we possibly could while still trying to make sure we started catching up with Japan.

Peff said:

EDIT: ^March 15/18th I think?

Too early to say on VC3 right now. I'm probably going to import the game and the accessory pack pretty soon, though - imported VC2 last year too.

Really? You bothered to rename "Rex" after we've managed to sit through two games having to read "Fuma" while hearing "Kazama"? Bizarre.

RubyEclipse said:
It's not 100%, to be fair. (We had to choose between Answer X Answer, which is the Japanese trivia game, or pushing our release out by a number of months) But just about everything else is there, and we did include as much stuff as we possibly could while still trying to make sure we started catching up with Japan.

You could have at least left Answer X Answer in the game unlocalized as an easter egg / bonus or something. All you need is a message warning people that its in Japanese.

vocab

RubyEclipse said:
we did include as much stuff as we possibly could while still trying to make sure we started catching up with Japan.

I can deal with Answer X being cut, but I cannot deal with side quests being cut. I'm not even going to get into hostess stuff,mahjong/shogi cut (because they were all in Yakuza 2, and hearing the excuses why they were cut was kind of disgusting to read). Having the sidequests cut in Yakuza 3 was probably the dumbest decision. You did it because you wanted the game to be out in time? Everyone wouldn't of cared if we had to wait if we had a much more polished experience. We already waited long enough.

I know you are sick of reading posts like mine, but it just has to be said again.

Please don't screw Yakuza 4 up. That is all I ask. I'll buy it week 1. No music cuts either :)

Tailzo

RubyEclipse said:
Pic! (I'm on the left.)

Agreed that the game is severely underrated by the mass market. Thanks for telling other people - word of mouth and pre-orders are probably the two things that will most help the series over here.

Me and a friend were both (and still are) huge Shenmue fans ten years ago. I lent him Yakuza 3, and told him when Yakuza 4 releases, he HAS TO buy it. I told him how close we were to never getting Y3. I am very happy that we ever got Y3. I had already played the import version, but it was well worth it to play through again. Although I know we will never see an english version of Kenzan, I loved my import copy of that too.

I wish there was a chance for Yakuza psp though.

Aurelius

Finished Yakuza 3 last night. Loved it! Can't wait for Yakuza 4. Especially with all the content intact. Pre-ordered it already.

RubyEclipse said:
How much is "just about"?

Does anyone know if Gamestop (US) is going to do preorder DLC for Yakuza 4 (just as they did with Y3)?
There were actually 2 pieces of DLC (Challenge/Battle packs I believe), one as preorder voucher and one in first print boxes; only 1 of them was released on the US PS Store. Luckily I got both though. Even if not, for the 100% complete game I have RGG3 (JP version) to check out the extras and cut content.

So anything similar with Yakuza 4 to watch out for?

vocab

jetsetfluken said:
Does anyone know if Gamestop (US) is going to do preorder DLC for Yakuza 4 (just as they did with Y3)?
There were actually 2 pieces of DLC (Challenge/Battle packs I believe), one as preorder voucher and one in first print boxes; only 1 of them was released on the US PS Store. Luckily I got both though. Even if not, for the 100% complete game I have RGG3 (JP version) to check out the extras and cut content.

So anything similar with Yakuza 4 to watch out for?

It was already confirmed that it will be on the disc.

Ah, good. Next question, is Kenzan! ever being localized (which would then also make it have Trophies). Maybe someone has said something after over a year I've checked on that status.

What about the PSP game and Of the End?
No stop, don't shoot me!

hamchan

I have no hope for Kenzan and the PSP game to ever be localized. Sucks because I hear Kenzan is the best.

Of the End probably has a decent shot though.

it is propably too late for Kenzan. And with the low sales of big titles on the PSP here in the West i would not expect the Black Panther to arrive.

Yakuza of the End is coming, most likely dubbed in english.

Tailzo

hamchan said:
I have no hope for Kenzan and the PSP game to ever be localized. Sucks because I hear Kenzan is the best.

Of the End probably has a decent shot though.
Kenzan was awesome. It felt great playing in an old setting, and in an all new place. But the graphics does look dated. It's old too, so I'm glad I imported it, I really doubt it will get a translation.

Noisepurge said:
it is propably too late for Kenzan. And with the low sales of big titles on the PSP here in the West i would not expect the Black Panther to arrive...

really hope this's wrong - if not, well, the game's so damn great i might just replay it via faq anyway :) . absolutely the saddest, most unfortunate instance of a game not being localized this gen...

& meanwhile, still waiting for a black panther faq (please, patrick!!! :) )...

Is it a bad thing for me to wish for a dub? There are plenty of great English speaking Voice Actors out there. Or do you think SEGA would pull an Ignition ala Arc Rise Fantasia?

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Gokurakumaru said:
Really? You bothered to rename "Rex" after we've managed to sit through two games having to read "Fuma" while hearing "Kazama"? Bizarre.
You may notice some other changes to the way the script is written, actually, that make a bit more sense too. But that's all news for another day. : )

Gunloc said:
How much is "just about"?
We're going to go over and show everything that was cut / edited / adjusted in the near future, so there aren't any surprises. All in all, it's very minor, but I'll let the actual list speak for itself.
Aurelius said:
Finished Yakuza 3 last night. Loved it! Can't wait for Yakuza 4. Especially with all the content intact. Pre-ordered it already.
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for pre-ordering the game and supporting the series. You win 1x free tanning session.

I have no PS3 still, but I really, REALLY want Yakuza 3 and 4 :[ I do, of course, own the first two (still haven't beaten them, though...).

I will see if I can spare the cash and buy 3, even if I don't have the damn console yet.

And hey! I remember you from the Resonance of Fate thread around launch time, Ruby. Unless some other Sega person had an avatar of that dude :p

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
dragonlife29 said:
I have no PS3 still, but I really, REALLY want Yakuza 3 and 4 :[ I do, of course, own the first two (still haven't beaten them, though...).

I will see if I can spare the cash and buy 3, even if I don't have the damn console yet.

And hey! I remember you from the Resonance of Fate thread around launch time, Ruby. Unless some other Sega person had an avatar of that dude :p
Yeah, that's me. :) I've actually been playing a lot of RoF lately - something about the combat keeps pulling me back in. (Even as frustrating as certain bosses can be.)

You should definitely beat the first two Yakuza games if you have time. Even though they're a little dated now graphically, the story is still very well done.

vocab

RubyEclipse said:
We're going to go over and show everything that was cut / edited / adjusted in the near future, so there aren't any surprises. All in all, it's very minor, but I'll let the actual list speak for itself.

Oh boy..... Here we go. The fact you have to save this for a news post is discouraging. The fact that AnswerX isn't the only thing that is cut makes this whole thing seem less exciting.

-1hype.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
vocab said:
Oh boy..... Here we go. The fact you have to save this for a news post is discouraging. The fact that AnswerX isn't the only thing that is cut makes this whole thing seem less exciting.

-1hype.
Don't be too worried. The list of edited / cut content itself is tiny. As mentioned earlier, there's really no comparison to Yakuza 3.

The post itself will also be focusing on the many things that are in the game that weren't in Y3 - Hostesses, extra side missions, etc. It'll be good news, and I think people will be pretty stoked when they see what's in.

Lyonaz

Day one on Yakuza 4 for me.

Just like with Yakuza 3, which sells for 12 euro at E-plaza these days. So no excuses Dutchies, get the game!

Snaku said:
Oh god no.

Seconded.

Leave the Japanese voices, they are superior and we're used to them by now and resonate with them since they've been in every NA/EU release except Yakuza 1.
On one hand, Kazuma's English VA was very fitting to the character, but that was years ago now and they probably couldn't get him. Just leave the JP voices and leave the extra work to translating as much content as possible.

OSHAN said:
Yakuza 3 is on sale at Amazon for $22.96:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030GBSUC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just picked it up. I haven't played any of the Yakuza games.
Track down copies of Yakuza 1 and 2 on PS2 before playing, you'll thank me later after completing them.

Slightly OT, but does anyone know what the preorder bonus will be for JP Of the End (which is out in less than 2 months)? I'm guessing a special edition Kamutai magazine just like RGG3 and 4 bonuses, or nothing this time...

RubyEclipse said:
Don't be too worried. The list of edited / cut content itself is tiny. As mentioned earlier, there's really no comparison to Yakuza 3.

The post itself will also be focusing on the many things that are in the game that weren't in Y3 - Hostesses, extra side missions, etc. It'll be good news, and I think people will be pretty stoked when they see what's in.
I'm glad you guys are being transparent about it this time. But I find it a bit troubling that fans are expected to be excited about what's been left in the game.

If fans of the series have to be worried about whether certain content will be in the game and need to be assured that it won't all be cut is an odd relationship for a publisher to have with it's consumer base.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Gunloc said:
I'm glad you guys are being transparent about it this time. But I find it a bit troubling that fans are expected to be excited about what's been left in the game.

If fans of the series have to be worried about whether certain content will be in the game and need to be assured that it won't all be cut is an odd relationship for a publisher to have with it's consumer base.
Normally, I'd agree. I think it's a good thing in this case, just given the history of Yakuza 3. It's worth it, in my opinion, to spend some time going into heavy detail on the many things that we put in a special effort to get right this time.

On another front, Yakuza as a series is pretty deep, and each of these items alone could probably warrant a full posting given how detailed they all are. So spending some time on each can serve both as a nice reminder about the content, and offer an introduction to how it works.

I beat Yakuza 4 the first time without actually spending much time playing the "Make a No.1 Hostess" mini-game at all, or visiting the hot springs that often, the massage parlor, etc. Playing through it the second time was lots of fun, and probably just because there was still so much to do beyond the normal storyline.

hamchan

My only issue with Yakuza 4 is that only Kiryu and Saejima can be used in the arena. Also the hostess chicks and especially the massage parlor girl freaks me out, though that's all up to taste I guess!

vocab

hamchan said:
My only issue with Yakuza 4 is that only Kiryu and Saejima can be used in the arena. Also the hostess chicks and especially the massage parlor girl freaks me out, though that's all up to taste I guess!

The way they model the women on that engine is weird/very exaggerated. I still couldn't stand Jun from Yakuza 2. That voice, that laugh. AHHHHHHHH. I think meeting random hostess at smile burger is creepier than meeting them in the actual location.

RedSwirl

jetsetfluken said:
Seconded.

Leave the Japanese voices, they are superior and we're used to them by now and resonate with them since they've been in every NA/EU release except Yakuza 1.
On one hand, Kazuma's English VA was very fitting to the character, but that was years ago now and they probably couldn't get him. Just leave the JP voices and leave the extra work to translating as much content as possible.

Track down copies of Yakuza 1 and 2 on PS2 before playing, you'll thank me later after completing them.

On a PS3 disc you could likely have both. Plus, Yakuza 1 actually had quite good voice acting. They problem was that they put a AAA localization effort into a niche game that should've been given the same treatment as foreign cinema.

vocab

RedSwirl said:
Plus, Yakuza 1 actually had quite good voice acting.

It's a mixed bag. It's either consistently good, or consistently bad. I feel the first half of the game has good voice acting, but the second has Kazumas voice actor triying way too damn hard, and it's pretty bad.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I sorely, sorely missed the "Run a Hostess club" quest in Y3 after enjoying it so much in Y2, and it especially hurt to see all of the customization you could do in japanese trailers. I'm very much looking forward to that in Y4.

Edit: Y1 had good english dub. I think everyone was well casted, except for Haruka's mom.

Aurelius

I played through the main story line of Yakuza 3, but wasn’t compelled to do all the side stuff. Mostly because the main story line was so engaging, but also because I knew that a lot of stuff had been cut and that a more complete experience was coming with Yakuza 4. Really looking forward to playing it and really diving in! Yakuza 3 was terrific, but left me wanting more.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Aurelius said:
I played through the main story line of Yakuza 3, but wasn’t compelled to do all the side stuff. Mostly because the main story line was so engaging, but also because I knew that a lot of stuff had been cut and that a more complete experience was coming with Yakuza 4. Really looking forward to playing it and really diving in! Yakuza 3 was terrific, but left me wanting more.
I'm a fan of beating the main storyline relatively quickly, and then playing through all the side content in the Premium games afterward, which let you keep your experience and items. The bonus stuff they add in for people who work towards completing the game 100% is also a nice touch.

Mooreberg

Just played Yakuza 3 in November and I loved it. How does this game handle the multiple characters? Does it switch based upon chapter and if so can you choose who you use for side missions? The walkthrough videos on GameTrailers have looked great. I'll just have to forget that the follow up to this is a zombie apocalypse game. :-\

Top Bottom