• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

By the way, any tips on beating sky hockey on hard? That woman is destroying me and i'm too slow on her QTE counter. ;_;

I managed to do all the QTE's to win that match. I'm not really sure what else to suggest on this mini game, as I was only able to score shots using the heat QTE method. You could try using the bullet time slowdown to perfect your aim, and not use heat moves. Once you have a decent rally going against the AI and the puck is going fairly fast it may be slightly easier for them to slip up, and you can use the bullet time to make it easier for you to hit the puck.

No idea if that'll work though, I just got lucky and hit the QTE's. Thankfully if you hit the QTE your guaranteed a point, unlike table tennis in the last few games where they may counter it another couple of times.

I managed to do all the QTE's to win that match. I'm not really sure what else to suggest on this mini game, as I was only able to score shots using the heat QTE method. You could try using the bullet time slowdown to perfect your aim, and not use heat moves. Once you have a decent rally going against the AI and the puck is going fairly fast it may be slightly easier for them to slip up, and you can use the bullet time to make it easier for you to hit the puck.

No idea if that'll work though, I just got lucky and hit the QTE's. Thankfully if you hit the QTE your guaranteed a point, unlike table tennis in the last few games where they may counter it another couple of times.

I figured as much, it's not like sky hockey has layered game play. As Jack Burton would say, it's all in the reflexes. I tried using QTE's on her, but the counter QTE seems to have the shortest timing of any QTE in the game, at least of the ones i've seen. I completely failed at all of them. XD

Trying to score without QTE's and just using slowdown sounds like a good tip, i'll try that tomorrow. If that doesn't work i'll try heat actions again, blindly pressing buttons in the hope of hitting the right one more often than not. :)

I figured as much, it's not like sky hockey has layered game play. As Jack Burton would say, it's all in the reflexes. I tried using QTE's on her, but the counter QTE seems to have the shortest timing of any QTE in the game, at least of the ones i've seen. I completely failed at all of them. XD

Trying to score without QTE's and just using slowdown sounds like a good tip, i'll try that tomorrow. If that doesn't work i'll try heat actions again, blindly pressing buttons in the hope of hitting the right one more often than not. :)

One thing I did notice in terms of QTE's - I never saw a heat counter move requiring the square button to be pushed. It'll still be random, but you'll have a 1/3 chance of being right, compared to a 1/4 chance!

As for short windows for QTE's, maybe I cut my teeth on Shenmue II, there was one section in disk 3 (Dreamcast version) that required cat like reflexes to get through, it was a real nightmare at the time!

Mikhal

I just cheat and press select to pause when the QTE pops up to see what I need to press and then unpause while mashing the button.

cj_iwakura

I just cheat and press select to pause when the QTE pops up to see what I need to press and then unpause while mashing the button.

I hate the QTEs, but it makes it all the more rewarding when FEEL THE HEAT shows up. What annoys me are those tiny one second windows in which to activate the flaming triangle indicator.

Now you mention it, the most punishing timing I had in the game with regards to heat QTE's is activating Akiyama's heat move where his block is broken - the timing is incredibly picky on that one, and its one of the only good ways of dealing damage to the final opponent in the Limit Berserk GP. But its insanely satisfying when I got the timing down. No wonder why I only used that move about 3 times in the entire game!

Rymuth

Watching Hunter x Hunter for the first time. Imagine my surprise when this guy shows up and I heard his voice.

latest

Appropriately strong, too!

I want to do achieve 100% in a ex hard playthrough, do you think it's doable ? Since I lost my save, I'm planning to do a quick normal playthrough (just the main story) and then do all optional stuff in ex hard. I want to know how the story ends but I don't want to dive in side quest/another drama just yet...
Also, will the food I ate carry over to NG+ (the little checkbox in front of every meal eaten)?

I don't think EX hard allows you to lower the difficulty - it boots you straight to the game over screen after a defeat.

EX hard coliseum with Akiyama is a massive feat not worth bothering with

Now you mention it, the most punishing timing I had in the game with regards to heat QTE's is activating Akiyama's heat move where his block is broken - the timing is incredibly picky on that one, and its one of the only good ways of dealing damage to the final opponent in the Limit Berserk GP. But its insanely satisfying when I got the timing down. No wonder why I only used that move about 3 times in the entire game!

I just block and mash triangle - success rate is high with this

I don't think EX hard allows you to lower the difficulty - it boots you straight to the game over screen after a defeat.

EX hard coliseum with Akiyama is a massive feat not worth bothering with

I just block and mash triangle - success rate is high with this

Hard mode doesn't let you lower the difficulty on defeat, so I'd guess the same goes for EX hard as well. Doing the arena on hard mode was bad enough, can't imagine it on EX Hard!

I still had issues mashing the button on block. It didn't work 100% of the time even when I knew the opponent would break my guard.

One thing I did notice in terms of QTE's - I never saw a heat counter move requiring the square button to be pushed. It'll still be random, but you'll have a 1/3 chance of being right, compared to a 1/4 chance!

As for short windows for QTE's, maybe I cut my teeth on Shenmue II, there was one section in disk 3 (Dreamcast version) that required cat like reflexes to get through, it was a real nightmare at the time!

Unfortunately square did come up a number of times for me, so it was still a 1/4 chance.
I even press the correct button sometimes, but it's a millisecond too late, i guess i'm just a slowpoke. I'm really good at ogling her chest though!

I tried this method and i'm not sure if it's the game or my 6 years old controller, but spamming select doesn't always register right away, which adds another challenge, timing the press of the select button just right, so you stop the game when the prompt comes up. XD

I did get lucky in the end though and had a match in which she didn't counter every single one of my heat actions, and i also got 2-3 counters right, so i managed to win in the end, yay!

Unfortunately square did come up a number of times for me, so it was still a 1/4 chance.
I even press the correct button sometimes, but it's a millisecond too late, i guess i'm just a slowpoke. I'm really good at ogling her chest though!

I tried this method and i'm not sure if it's the game or my 6 years old controller, but spamming select doesn't always register right away, which adds another challenge, timing the press of the select button just right, so you stop the game when the prompt comes up. XD

I did get lucky in the end though and had a match in which she didn't counter every single one of my heat actions, and i also got 2-3 counters right, so i managed to win in the end, yay!

Glad you managed to do it in the end :) Nothing worse than being stuck on a mini game like that.

I had a heck of a time with the sea fishing mini game. No problems catching fish or anything, but it was catching one specific rare fish that was the problem. Probably took me 90 odd minutes to catch that one fish alone!

I've now only got Slots and Pachinko left for the 100% completion trophy. Those won't be hard, just time consuming for sure. I'll get to those tomorrow.

Glad you managed to do it in the end :) Nothing worse than being stuck on a mini game like that.

I had a heck of a time with the sea fishing mini game. No problems catching fish or anything, but it was catching one specific rare fish that was the problem. Probably took me 90 odd minutes to catch that one fish alone!

I've now only got Slots and Pachinko left for the 100% completion trophy. Those won't be hard, just time consuming for sure. I'll get to those tomorrow.

Pachinko should be done while running an errand. Get-rich-quick, leave for an hour, come back with your ball count at either around 8000, or 0

Slots is slightly higher-maintenance, since your auto token runs out of juice once you get a 3x bar or 777. And it's too much of a hassle to operate without the auto token

The end of Part 3 Chapter 2 is brutal. Just brutal.
No way Park committed suicide. Given that we didn't even see her face when the paramedics were carrying away what was supposedly her body, I'm calling shenanigans.

Hey, just came here to say that our family team finished the game a month ago, and I still have all haruka's songs stuck in my head. I'm a miles-davis-bill-evans-kind-of-guy and I'm not ashamed to admit it, even one bit.
I got in the game really hesitant because I feared extreme fan service, but I have to admit that haruka's story and character was handled gracefully enough (minus one costume, just to nitpick). She was really an adorable, strong-willed bumpkin!

DANCE BATTARUUUU!!!!!!

That's odd, I've hit 100% completion yet no gold trophy... Is there any little things that aren't clearly mentioned that count toward the 100%?

*edit* Fixed it now. Turns out I need to go to the results screen to get the trophy to unlock.

Oh just check your results in your hideout for the trophy to pop up if you have 100%

Yeah, that did the trick. I was really starting to worry! I really enjoyed going for the 100%, one of the most satisfying feats I've managed in a game. Now to take a break before starting Kiwami.

Hey, just came here to say that our family team finished the game a month ago, and I still have all haruka's songs stuck in my head. I'm a miles-davis-bill-evans-kind-of-guy and I'm not ashamed to admit it, even one bit.
I got in the game really hesitant because I feared extreme fan service, but I have to admit that haruka's story and character was handled gracefully enough (minus one costume, just to nitpick). She was really an adorable, strong-willed bumpkin!

DANCE BATTARUUUU!!!!!!

I'm probably asking for too much... but I think Haruka's section would've been a lot better if it had more than 3 concert songs, more difficulty choices, and more charts for dance battles. Bump that all the way to extreme!

JEKKI

awwwww yeay I beat the game yesterday!!

and I still have no idea what the game was about lol,

took me like 80 hours, they show characters in the ending I'm all like who the fkk is that guy?!?!

even going back in the characters profiles I'm like shit I dont remember that guy at all! lol.

now I really wanna play Yakuza 6, but thank goodness I have Kenzan to fill the time until then :)

awwwww yeay I beat the game yesterday!!

and I still have no idea what the game was about lol,

took me like 80 hours, they show characters in the ending I'm all like who the fkk is that guy?!?!

even going back in the characters profiles I'm like shit I dont remember that guy at all! lol.

now I really wanna play Yakuza 6, but thank goodness I have Kenzan to fill the time until then :)

Well your in for a heck of a treat as I think Kenzan! is still pretty much the best in the series. Excellent story, characters and badass fighting mechanics with plenty of moves split over the four styles. I need to do a replay at some stage since I never did manage to fight Amon.

03sho

This is my first Yakuza game and I'm absolutely loving it. Just finished chapter 1.

I've downloaded number 4 and plan to play it after I've finished with 5. What are the main differences between 4 and 5? I'm not one for the story so I hope I'm still going to enjoy it

This is my first Yakuza game and I'm absolutely loving it. Just finished chapter 1.

I've downloaded number 4 and plan to play it after I've finished with 5. What are the main differences between 4 and 5? I'm not one for the story so I hope I'm still going to enjoy it

4 started the multiple character trend. The structure is very similar. You'll feel right at home.

Damn, air hockey is fun! Definitely my favorite mini-game.

4 has different mini games and character specific side missions that aren't quite as fleshed out as Kiryu Taxi Driving, Seijima Hunting etc. but really 5 just built on 4 so if you liked one you'll almost certainly like the other.

One big difference is that 4 is based almost entirely in Kamuracho (bar a couple of linear chapters). However 4's Kamuracho is more "fleshed out" in terms of areas you can explore - 4 has a much larger sewer system and rooftops while 5 only gives you a very small part of the sewer to explore.

I'm probably asking for too much... but I think Haruka's section would've been a lot better if it had more than 3 concert songs, more difficulty choices, and more charts for dance battles. Bump that all the way to extreme!

My wife was determined to become the beachiest street dancer before even going into the finals, so when we got there we literally destroyed T-Set.
Jocking aside, I think this is the only issue on these games, as the mini-games are not deep enough compared to their ispirations. Kyriu's taxi missions are not that good of a driving game, just like haruka's dance offs are not a really good rythm game. I think they know it and don't force you to master them.

Yeesh, Saejima's second half really does drag. I preferred the prison.

It ends on a high note though.

My wife was determined to become the beachiest street dancer before even going into the finals, so when we got there we literally destroyed T-Set.
Jocking aside, I think this is the only issue on these games, as the mini-games are not deep enough compared to their ispirations. Kyriu's taxi missions are not that good of a driving game, just like haruka's dance offs are not a really good rythm game. I think they know it and don't force you to master them.

I don't play a lot of rythm games but the gameplay in Haruka's chapter seems pretty decent to me, I'm enjoying it a lot.
As for the mini-games, I think that overall the quality is pretty good, especially considering how many of them there are, though obviously some are better than others.

Aurelius

Almost finished Saejima's section. While the prison was a drag, I really did enjoy the hunting village. Spend way to much time on that mountain!

It ends on a high note though.

I don't play a lot of rythm games but the gameplay in Haruka's chapter seems pretty decent to me, I'm enjoying it a lot.
As for the mini-games, I think that overall the quality is pretty good, especially considering how many of them there are, though obviously some are better than others.

Don't get me wrong, I love game and its minigames! It's just that they are pretty much functional to get you through a character story arc. With few exceptions, once i finished the story I rarely felt the need to go back to master any of the games.
The Haruka's minigames are actually some of the better and more contextually interesting of the seires. The "dancing" rythm game is actually super good, but the "singing" rythm game is quite simplistic.

cj_iwakura

Went from being bored with Saejima's hunting to spending all day on it.

Jeremiah Johnson can't touch this guy.

(We need a Saejima mod of that gif, now.)

Can I finish the stuff in Haruka´s schedule in premium adventure?
Just realized that I can't put different clothes on her until I get to PA, lame.

Went from being bored with Saejima's hunting to spending all day on it.

Jeremiah Johnson can't touch this guy.

(We need a Saejima mod of that gif, now.)

I figured you'd come around.

Can I finish the stuff in Haruka´s schedule in premium adventure?
Just realized that I can't put different clothes on her until I get to PA, lame.

I figured you'd come around.

Yes you can finish anything you don't do in the story in Premium Adventure. Just keep in mind you can't carry a premium adventure save over to premium story mode.

karasu

I just started playing this tonight. So far so good. I'm kind of hoping for some fan service for whatever reason. My only previous exposure to the series was my play through of Yakuza 4.

stn

For those that have beaten the game:
Haruka's chapter has slowed the game down for me soooooooo much. Ugh, I hope it ends soon. I like the character but its just so boring compared to the rest of the game. Its the Y5 equivalent of the Y3 orphanage beginning.

For those that have beaten the game:
Haruka's chapter has slowed the game down for me soooooooo much. Ugh, I hope it ends soon. I like the character but its just so boring compared to the rest of the game. Its the Y5 equivalent of the Y3 orphanage beginning.

Well you can probably rush through that part of the game if your not feeling it. This chapter is (minor spoilers)
shared with Akiyama, so you'll switch to him part way through so its not as if you have four parts solely where you play as Haruka.

Aurelius

I' m actually enjoying the Haruka parts a lot. Can't wait to beat those b*tches in the finale. Especially after that one cutscene.

cj_iwakura

Haruka's dance battles are fun, but I feel like this is wasted opportunity city. Why can't she visit host clubs? Sing at Karaoke? (Seems like she only claps, not sings.) Beat the hell out of fools?

The end of Saejima was hilarious, for all the wrong reasons.
Let's go somewhere where it's safe. LIKE AN EMPTY BUILDING WITH WIDE OPEN WINDOWS.

It's just sad at this point; a matter of when someone gets shot, not if.

Haruka's dance battles are fun, but I feel like this is wasted opportunity city. Why can't she visit host clubs? Sing at Karaoke? (Seems like she only claps, not sings.) Beat the hell out of fools?

The end of Saejima was hilarious, for all the wrong reasons.
Let's go somewhere where it's safe. LIKE AN EMPTY BUILDING WITH WIDE OPEN WINDOWS.

It's just sad at this point; a matter of when someone gets shot, not if.

Regarding host clubs - Haruka mentions that it would hurt her image if she was seen in an establishment such as that.

Regarding Karaoke - You can sing, but you need to unlock songs for Haruka to sing first. After you clear Princess League stages in the story you'll be able to sing the songs in Karaoke shop.

As for beating up fools, play more of her story. She seems incapable of hurting a fly.

BUMP - okay I have a question. can I "gift" yakuza 5 as a psn code? i don't see the option for that on amazon or anything but if I get it for this chick's birthday it'll be the 3rd time I give sega my money for this game and I will if it means helping them to bring yakuza 6 here.

if not, i'm just gonna give her my copy of yakuza 3.

stn

Finally beat it. Only side quest I did was Kiryu's, still took me 31.5 hours overall. Not sure where I'd rank it in the series but I enjoyed it overall. Regarding the ending...
Kiryu lives, right? I assume so since he's in the Y6 demo, lol.

Top Bottom