• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 TGS Trailer

with that psx happening at the end of the year and the game also releasing at that time, is it possible we could get a western release date?

As someone who's currently enjoying Yakuza Kiwami, would any you guys say that Yakuza 2 is better than Yakuza 1, on par, or worse, seeing as they're both remakes of the first two games? Because, if it's on par or better, I'm in, especially since both of these games are cheaper than Yakuza 0, which I'll get around to later

As someone who's currently enjoying Yakuza Kiwami, would any you guys say that Yakuza 2 is better than Yakuza 1, on par, or worse? Because, if it's on par or better, I'm in, especially since both of these games are cheaper than Yakuza 0, which I'll get around to later
I have just played 0 and Kiwami but what I have read is that 2 is the best in the series.

SephLuis

As someone who's currently enjoying Yakuza Kiwami, would any you guys say that Yakuza 2 is better than Yakuza 1, on par, or worse? Because, if it's on par or better, I'm in, especially since both of these games are cheaper than Yakuza 0, which I'll get around to later

Yakuza 2, when compared to the original Yakuza, was a giant leap.

Story, combat, everything was much, much better. No idea if this gap will remain in the remakes, however, Yakuza 2 is still one of the best (if not THE best) entries in the series.

squall23

The new and improved Clan Creator featuring a new league of Japanese pro wrestlers:

mxtPOFk.jpg

It seems like you can command your clan to gather various items/rewards during the onslaught. It also looks like there are mini missions during the battle.
It's essentially Sangokushi Taisen. A card-based arcade game also made by Sega where you move units around using cards to try and attack or defend something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-lufrBy8_c

As someone who's currently enjoying Yakuza Kiwami, would any you guys say that Yakuza 2 is better than Yakuza 1, on par, or worse, seeing as they're both remakes of the first two games? Because, if it's on par or better, I'm in, especially since both of these games are cheaper than Yakuza 0, which I'll get around to later
Yakuza 2 is the best one in the series by far.

Yakuza 2 is goat. Kiwami 2 will also be on the Yakuza 6 engine.

Tier list
2=0>3>4>1>5

Edit: Kiwami 2 might not be localized till 2019. We don't really know yet.

I have just played 0 and Kiwami but what I have read is that 2 is the best in the series.

Yakuza 2, when compared to the original Yakuza, was a giant leap.

Story, combat, everything was much, much better. No idea if this gap will remain in the remakes, however, Yakuza 2 is still one of the best (if not THE best) entries in the series.

Yakuza 2 is the best one in the series by far.

Tier list
2=0>3>4>1>5
Well God damn, looks like I'll be in for a treat when I finish up Kiwami and go on to Kiwami 2 then. Has SEGA said anything about remaking the rest of the Yakuza games or bringing them over to the PS4? I'd hate to have to go back and play the rest on the PS3 and PS2 :p

kuroshiki

Tier list
2=0>3>4>1>5

Edit: Kiwami 2 might not be localized till 2019. We don't really know yet.

Sorry but I found 3 boring as hell, the worse yakuza series of all. >.> I would put 3 on the worse yakuza of all.

Well God damn, looks like I'll be in for a treat when I finish up Kiwami and go on to Kiwami 2 then. Has SEGA said anything about remaking the rest of the Yakuza games or bringing them over to the PS4? I'd hate to have to go back and play the rest on the PS3 and PS2 :p

Unless they just spoke about it today, they haven't said anything about PS4 ports.

Yakuza 1 and 2 are the only PS2 titles, so you'd only need to play PS3 games.

Also, I edited my first response. Kiwami 2 has no western release date. It may take a while to be localized. Potentially could be 2019. I'm hoping for late 2018 though.

Sorry but I found 3 boring as hell, the worse yakuza series of all. >.> I would put 3 on the worse yakuza of all.

Dog, I love that orphanage. Okinawa was a really nice departure from the other Yakuza environments. The ending with
Mine
was legendary. It had a pretty great OST as I recall.

The localisation and
CIA
stuff were pretty lame.

I really love that orphanage.

Unless they just spoke about it today, they haven't said anything about PS4 ports.

Also, I edited my first response. Kiwami 2 has no western release date. It may take a while to be localized. Potentially could be 2019. I'm hoping for late 2018 though.
Oh okay, well I can live with that, I guess. I have plenty of other games on the PS4, 3DS and Switch to keep me busy so I'll just wait for the rest to inevitably come over to the PS4 and hopefully get localized in a reasonable amount of time. I'm honestly just happy I got another franchise to get into :)

Desmond

The new and improved Clan Creator featuring a new league of Japanese pro wrestlers:

mxtPOFk.jpg

It seems like you can command your clan to gather various items/rewards during the onslaught. It also looks like there are mini missions during the battle.
Is that Chouno /蝶野? Lol

Looking great, not that I'm really surprised, I expected nothing less to be honest!

Looking forward to seeing how substantial Majima's content is, I expected a small bonus chapter, but with the amount of content already shown, I'm guessing it'll be more in depth than I first thought. Excited to see how they've improved the gang creator mode, I had issues with it in 6 but did still enjoy it, plus the proper fist fights against the Japanese wrestlers made it all worth while!

My only concern is that since this is using the Dragon engine will that ultimately mean the combat system won't have as many as the heat actions as the original? Because 2's heat actions were all INCREDIBLE.

Nibel

Y2 is considered the best in the series by many

Are they spoilers if you have zero context? The only way people know those scenes are from that point in the game is if they've already played it. Going in blind and they mean zero, right?
Not knowing japanese and having played a little bit of two, just seems like the only thing spoiled was that the protagonist fights the antagonist.

My only concern is that since this is using the Dragon engine will that ultimately mean the combat system won't have as many as the heat actions as the original? Because 2's heat actions were all INCREDIBLE.

Yeah, I remember managing to pull off all the heat moves in 2 while unlocking the Amon stories, they were awesome. 2 stepped heat moves up so much compared to 1 it was unreal. 1 feels pretty barren to play these days by comparison (which is one of many reasons why I'm so thankful for the remake).

As for Kiwami 2, from what I've seen I can already tell that they've added several heat moves in over 6. Weapon heat moves for starters (well, not hard since you couldn't get equippable weapons in 6), and a few more hand to hand heat moves which I never saw in 6 either.

I'm confident we'll get a nice number of new heat moves. It seems the nature of the beast that every time they move engine the first game really suffers in the combat and content departments, while they add more and more content as they go with newer games. From the little I've seen so far it seems they've beefed up the combat, but I'll wait for more details to see just how much more we get.

Heartfyre

with that psx happening at the end of the year and the game also releasing at that time, is it possible we could get a western release date?

I'm expecting a Western release announcement, at least, alongside a new trailer for Yakuza 6. If we're lucky, we can have a repeat of this year, where we got Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, so that we get Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 next year.

Jimrpg

I CAN'T WAIT for Kiwami 2. Sotonbori is easily my second favourite city in the Yakuza series, both Kamurocho and Sotonbori are way ahead of everything else, though the Okinawa city was pretty fun though.

Uxdk9NJ.png

Funny story about this clown - my daughter (who was 2 when we went to Osaka a couple of years ago), LOVED this clown. When we got back I couldn't find it in Yakuza 5 to show her. But it popped up in... Yakuza Zero, the game set in the 80s. I kind of get that the story is the only thing that's meant to be historically accurate (ie they use current day softcore actresses) but its still funny that it popped up in Zero.

Also my daughter was blown away that we could order noodles from the cha shu ramen shop across from the crab, because we also ate there in real life.

NZerker12

To get an idea on what Kiwami 2 may play like.

For those of you who have played Yakuza 6, is it true Kiryu's fighting style is a combination of DoD, brawler, Rush and beast?

Can you still do the Tiger Drop?

For those of you who have played Yakuza 6, is it true Kiryu's fighting style is a combination of DoD, brawler, Rush and beast?

From what little I've played of Y6's demo, it feels like a continuation of Y5 Kiryu.

Regular and straightforward all-rounder style, but when heat mode activates you start swinging your arms like a madman and throwing whatever's closest at your enemies.

They changed up Kiryu's combat for 6, so I'd say its probably closest to Dragon and Brawler styles with a little bit of the other two sprinkled in - for example when you go into your heat mode (pressing R2) you could grab objects like bikes or traffic cones just by hitting square when standing near them like Beast style (glad they kept that, one of my favourite moves!)

And yes - in 6 you can unlock the Tiger Drop when you get enough XP. And be sure to upgrade it - when unlocked it has an insanely tight performance window - so its really hard to perform. But enhancing it via XP makes it way easier to pull off which is darn handy.

SliChillax

Dog, I love that orphanage. Okinawa was a really nice departure from the other Yakuza environments. The ending with
Mine
was legendary. It had a pretty great OST as I recall.

The localisation and
CIA
stuff were pretty lame.

I really love that orphanage.
Almost 2 years to put English subtitles? Am I missing something here why do these games take so long to come to the west? Does the Japanese version have English subtitles?

Almost 2 years to put English subtitles? Am I missing something here why do these games take so long to come to the west? Does the Japanese version have English subtitles?

Lots and lots of text to translate. Plus 6 is currently being worked on so I doubt Sega will be willing to spring for additional resources for a niche series. We'll see if they announce anything at PSX this year regarding a English release.

And no. No Yakuza games have English sub titles in the Japanese or Asian releases. The series has always been made for Japanese fans, getting them in English has felt like an afterthought for quite a while, only recently does it really feel like they are really putting in more of an effort to get them released over here in a timely manor (hence why as of March next year we'll have had 3 Yakuza games released in a 14 month period, compared to the 1 every year or two back when 3-4 were released).

Wait, is this a remake of Yakuza 2? Are they remaking all of them?

Remake, and as mentioned above no they are not remaking all the games. Just 2 as it was a PS2 game previously and running on an old engine. Even if 3-5 come to the PS4 down the line its more than likely they will be remasters.

convo

Wait, is this a remake of Yakuza 2? Are they remaking all of them?

There is nothing announced that would indicate remakes of the PS3 games and i don't think those need to be made. A regular hd-collection for them would be massive enough. This game is only happening because the western sales of Yakuza 0 and kiwami 1 pre-orders were pretty good. Yakuza 1 and 2 had botched releases in the west and need some love and maybe 3 could need a remake too.

Anyway it seems you can play virtual-on in the arcades in this game going by twitter. Famitsu scans are out there so i excpect more detailed info to be translated soon.

NZerker12

From what little I've played of Y6's demo, it feels like a continuation of Y5 Kiryu.

Regular and straightforward all-rounder style, but when heat mode activates you start swinging your arms like a madman and throwing whatever's closest at your enemies.

They changed up Kiryu's combat for 6, so I'd say its probably closest to Dragon and Brawler styles with a little bit of the other two sprinkled in - for example when you go into your heat mode (pressing R2) you could grab objects like bikes or traffic cones just by hitting square when standing near them like Beast style (glad they kept that, one of my favourite moves!)

And yes - in 6 you can unlock the Tiger Drop when you get enough XP. And be sure to upgrade it - when unlocked it has an insanely tight performance window - so its really hard to perform. But enhancing it via XP makes it way easier to pull off which is darn handy.

Thanks good to know. I had heard they reduced what Kiryu can do so I got concerned that they may have ruined his moveset.

Thanks good to know. I had heard they reduced what Kiryu can do so I got concerned that they may have ruined his moveset.

Technically it was "reduced" so it was more in line with one streamlined style, as opposed to 4 styles. All Yakuza's before 0 had just one fighting style for Kiryu, this is closer to that. Though the number of heat moves and weapons were reduced for 6, looks like that has been remedied at least somewhat going by what has been shown so far in Kiwami 2's gameplay.

Big One

Banned
Is the Majima sections going to be a full story or is it just going to be a shorter part of the game? I'm kind of hoping for a full story since Majima already has a full skill tree from 0. I'm playing Kiwami right now and I'm constantly thinking to myself that this game would be somewhat improved if Nishikiyama's story sections were playable parts of the game. I know it wasn't in the original but I'm on Chapter 9 and I feel like the story is going by way too fast compared to 0, though then again this is based on a PS2 game, lol.

Is the Majima sections going to be a full story or is it just going to be a shorter part of the game? I'm kind of hoping for a full story since Majima already has a full skill tree from 0. I'm playing Kiwami right now and I'm constantly thinking to myself that this game would be somewhat improved if Nishikiyama's story sections were playable parts of the game. I know it wasn't in the original but I'm on Chapter 9 and I feel like the story is going by way too fast compared to 0, though then again this is based on a PS2 game, lol.

It's probably gonna be a small section. In the gameplay section they showed, Majima's section is accessed from the title screen. And karaoke shows that he only has one song :(

Top Bottom