• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 TGS Trailer

Is the Majima sections going to be a full story or is it just going to be a shorter part of the game? I'm kind of hoping for a full story since Majima already has a full skill tree from 0. I'm playing Kiwami right now and I'm constantly thinking to myself that this game would be somewhat improved if Nishikiyama's story sections were playable parts of the game. I know it wasn't in the original but I'm on Chapter 9 and I feel like the story is going by way too fast compared to 0, though then again this is based on a PS2 game, lol.

I have a feeling they probably put a decent amount of content in for him, as they had to build a whole fighting style and moveset in the Y6 engine for him to be playable in this game.

raven777

It's strange that they are using the Kiwami engine for Hokuto since they developed a new one.

They explained that they are still getting used to the new Dragon Engine and felt there wasn't enough resources to make 2 games using Dragon Engine at the same time. They also felt because Hokuto was using kind of cell-shading style of graphics, it would work well with the old Kiwami engine as opposed to the new Dragon Engine which aims for photo-realistic visual.

It's strange that they are using the Kiwami engine for Hokuto since they developed a new one.

The word on that was that it was easier to get the visual style for FOTNS to work with the older engine. I'm guessing it allows them to throw the game together pretty quick as well, since its out in February 2018 (in Japan at least).

raven777

Updated the link. Don't know why they'd bother taking down the trailer when it's by the official channel.

Seems like the first trailer they posed has no Cero rating at the end, while the new one has Cero D rating. So basically they uploaded a different video I guess.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy crap. Those character models look out of this world. I'm honestly much more excited for Kiwami 2 than Yakuza 6.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Since it's using the Yak6 engine does that mean it'll be 30fps? I kinda got spoiled by 0 and Kiwami's nice 60.

As I said in the other thread:

Mp6C351.gif

Ryuji and Kaoru look wonderful in the Dragon Engine, and I can't wait to see what they do with Makoto. I think there's supposed to be a playable demo at TGS, so hopefully we'll see some gameplay.

Is this the kid from that Yakuza 0 substory who kicks shit out of all the other kids? Rise of the Dragon or something?

Is this the kid from that Yakuza 0 substory who kicks shit out of all the other kids? Rise of the Dragon or something?
Yeah.

A 12 year old who managed to hold his own against adult, close-to-a-psychotic-break Majima.

So you can just imagine what the adult version of that kid is gonna get up to.

NZerker12

Looking at the footage they seem to have given Majima his Mad Dog style from 0. However he doesn't go into his Mad Dog rush after the slash attack, which either means they nerfed the style and removed it (it did make you near unstoppable to be fair) or you have to unlock the ability.

He also has the heat action from previous games where you slash the enemy when you draw out your knife except hear it seems to be a standing heat action.

Majima's combat looks shitty. Mad Dog style was fun in small bursts but tended to get boring for me.

But then again, all his styles look shitty when you've seen what he does in Yakuza 5.

Majima's combat looks shitty. Mad Dog style was fun in small bursts but tended to get boring for me.

But then again, all his styles look shitty when you've seen what he does in Yakuza 5.

I totally forgot that happened. I mean the guy that trained Seijima was weird enough (what with the flying and divine powers etc.) but this was really odd to see in a main story fight. Then again, Majima IS that badass, even in the state he was in going into that fight!

BigEmil

This the updated version of the Dragon Engine huh very nice, Dragon Engine seemed like it was still in beta for Yakuza 6 but still excellent

Looks good, and the retcons/expanded stuff look nice for the most...I don't care much for the Gravure photo shooting stuff though.

Where's Kaoru tho? give me some combo heat actions with her again for crying out loud.

It looks like Kiryu has his moveset from 6 which makes sense being in the same engine but I wish they would have ported over the 0/Kiwami 1 styles for him and Majima.

Zen Mu

The new and improved Clan Creator featuring a new league of Japanese pro wrestlers:

mxtPOFk.jpg

It seems like you can command your clan to gather various items/rewards during the onslaught. It also looks like there are mini missions during the battle.

Chono?! And is that Mutoh's head I see next to Chono's in the gameplay shot? This shit is going to be godlike.

KyleCross

Just hope they don't expand Ryuji's role too much in the remake. They ruined Majima in Kiwami because the Majima Everywhere system took away the impact of the original boss fight.

the fight in the baseball court? What impact was it supposed to have?

I'm in on this too.
It's supposed to be really crazy when he comes back to get you at the brothel, since he was just stabbed at the batting cage, but by that point it's like the 60th time he's came back to fight you. They also had to retcon the batting cage injury and create the weird harbor scene to give him a newer injury.
I mean I enjoyed fighting Majima. Him showing up everywhere was hilarious, but it did impact the plot.
I've also seen the argument that Yakuza 1 is supposed to be heavily dedicated to the conflict between Kaz and Nishiki. Having such a huge focus on Majima also impacts this.

I'm in on this too.
It's supposed to be really crazy when he comes back to get you at the brothel, since he was just stabbed at the batting cage, but by that point it's like the 60th time he's came back to fight you. They also had to retcon the batting cage injury and create the weird harbor scene to give him a newer injury.

That was soooo bad. It would've been much better to just leave the bandage out.

Day 1. So much Yakuza this gen, I'm loving it.

It's pretty amazing how the series had to die in the west and be brought back to get the success it deserves. I hate games in series being released every year and I'm planning to play 3 entries within a 2 years. Potentially 4 if kiwami 2 makes it for 2018.

Looks amazing. Glad to see the best game in the series getting this treatment.

I mean, I'd argue that it's a spoiler in both trailers. But then again I'm probably a bit obtuse with what I consider to be a spoiler.

It's only a spoiler if you know the context for the scene (at which point, it's not a spoiler because you already know what happens). If you don't know what's going on there, it can't spoil anything.

MoosiferX

Wish we got some gameplay. Will buy the US version day one as long as it's discounted like Kiwami.

It's a much bigger game than Kiwami, and it seems a lot more big budget with them casting new actors for the various plot characters so I don't think it'll be a cheaper title like Kiwami if it comes out over here. But ya' never know!

It's supposed to be really crazy when he comes back to get you at the brothel, since he was just stabbed at the batting cage

What's supposed to be really crazy about that? Bosses that you fight multiple times throughout the story is a recurring thing in video games.

What's supposed to be really crazy about that? Bosses that you fight multiple times throughout the story is a recurring thing in video games.

It feels way more significant, when you haven't seen him countless times.

I saw a lot of people who were new to Yakuza 1/Kiwami talking how they were really fed up with the Majima everywhere system/fighting Majima constantly, even at an early point in the game. I'm sure that negatively effected their hype level for that boss fight.
Kuze is hype. I don't think that sewer fight would have been my favourite moment from the Y0 if I had already fought him 30 times before that.

Newboi

I guess the real issue is when would Kiwami 2 come to the west? If porting goes as it has been, westerners might not see Kiwami 2 until Q4 2018! Hopefully, it'll come much sooner.

My real question though is why hasn't Yakuza seen a PC release? That's just free money waiting for them.

It feels way more significant, when you haven't seen him countless times.

I saw a lot of people who were new to Yakuza 1/Kiwami talking how they were really fed up with the Majima everywhere system/fighting Majima constantly, even at an early point in the game. I'm sure that negatively effected their hype level for that boss fight.
Kuze is hype. I don't think that sewer fight would have been my favourite moment from the Y0 if I had already fought him 30 times before that.

Hmm, maybe. I don't know if not having the Majima Everywhere feature would have made it any better for me. I'm already upset enough about the game ruining the character that I loved from Y0. Or rather, I guess I should say that I'm pissed that Yakuza 0 sold me on a character that doesn't seem to exist.

I might make a thread about that in the future, actually.

Hmm, maybe. I don't know if not having the Majima Everywhere feature would have made it any better for me. I'm already upset enough about the game ruining the character that I loved from Y0. Or rather, I guess I should say that I'm pissed that Yakuza 0 sold me on a character that doesn't seem to exist.

I might make a thread about that in the future, actually.

It's hard for me to put myself in your shoes as I played them in release order.
I'd recommend checking out the later Yakuza games where Majima is more fleshed out.

Yakuza 1 had the least developed Majima.

Top Bottom