• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee launches April 11th, considering Switch version instead of Wii U

ReitStuff

I don't think it's safe to assume the Switch version is launching later. They're just not allowed to actually announce it until January, which seems to be Nintendo's policy for all Switch games. In that sense, this message was a beautifully-crafted non-announcement

Seems unlikely based on the language they used.

"We’d like to apologise to those affected by this development and offer all Wii U backers the opportunity to move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017."

They specifically list all platforms for April 11, but leave Switch separated out.

LordKano

"We’d like to apologise to those affected by this development and offer all Wii U backers the opportunity to move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017."

They specifically list all platforms for April 11, but leave Switch separated out.

For the same reason as they can't clearly confirm it : NDA until January.

Slightly torn on this one to be honest. I am sure there were plenty of WiiU owners backing this (as they said) and they were apparently handling the WiiU version in house but the total lack of screenshots, video, information or anything really was a massive alarm bell. I don't think they ever got it in a decent working state to be honest.

Yeah. I kinda understand why they announced it for Wii U, even if that platform was a long shot technically - they couldn't exactly have announced it for NX over a year before the Switch reveal, and not having a Nintendo platform on the list when the Kickstarter launched could really have depressed funding for this particular project - but it shouldn't have taken a genius to predict that a technically ambitious, free-roaming 3D Unity game might struggle to run on the platform. And because Playtonic wasted months of time and effort trying to get the Wii U version in a playable state, rather than backburnering it early on, it's much less likely that it'll be a simultaneous release on Switch.

Morts

Hmmm doesn't Unity have some issues on PS4? I could see playing this there if I don't have a Switch by the time it comes out (or if the Switch version is later).

The Playtonic team is sad to confirm that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we’ve encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release the game on Wii U as initially planned.

Would devs stop with this bullshit? The unforseen technical issues equal the completely forseen fact that the Wii U is a dead console and its replacement is right around the corner. Stop with the PC crap. The Wii U was a failure. There's a very good chance the Switch will be a success. They want the game out of the console with the highest chance of profitability. Honesty is the best policy.

thefro

Is Yooka-Laylee an Unreal Engine 4 game? It would probably make sense why development on Switch would be easier if that was the case (aside from the obvious financial reasons).

Unity, which I think has CPU issues on nearly all the consoles (but it's obviously worse on Wii U given its weak CPU).

I wonder if Nintendo might actually have talked to them to try to get the Switch version featured at the January Switch event.

It seems all but confirmed that there is a Switch version coming, so I imagine they've already been working on it. Hopefully it comes out with the other versions
or maybe even before??

STGHMAAV

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo might actually have talked to them to try to get the Switch version featured at the January Switch event.

It seems all but confirmed that there is a Switch version coming, so I imagine they've already been working on it. Hopefully it comes out with the other versions
or maybe even before??

Probably this is the reason they can't confirm the Switch version 100%, because it's featured in the January 12th live presentation unlike (all of this is just my speculation) Seasons of Heaven which has already been revealed and 100% confirmed on the Switch.

Would devs stop with this bullshit? The unforseen technical issues equal the completely forseen fact that the Wii U is a dead console and its replacement is right around the corner. Stop with the PC crap. The Wii U was a failure. There's a very good chance the Switch will be a success. They want the game out of the console with the highest chance of profitability. Honesty is the best policy.

As far as I know, there are no other Unity games on Wii U with a comparable level of technical ambition; it's all 2D or simple 3D games, not large-scale, graphically detailed 3D worlds. Not to mention that Playtonic got such a large percentage of pledges for Wii U that they decided (misguidedly, IMO) to develop that version internally and outsource the PS4/XB1 versions, even though they knew full well that Wii U was an EOL platform (the Kickstarter launched a month and a half after NX was first announced).

I really don't think they're lying.

Playtonic's excuse stands on shaky ground, even if I 100% support their decision to ditch the WiI U version.

The Wii U version was billed as the lead format alongside PC, with Playtonic handling that version while giving the more straightforward XBO and PS4 versions to publisher Team17.

So to encounter technical issues that make it impossible to release the game on the only format Playtonic is targeting internally suggests a Wii U version was never really the focus, and the game was always targeting formats that were powerful enough to run a Unity Engine game as visually ambitious as Yooka Laylee.

We've never seen Wii U footage to date, for instance, it's always been gameplay of the other versions

Like other developers they used a software hungry Wii U audience to fund their game for other platforms.

Could make people wonder if there was ever even a Wii U version running.

Probably this is the reason they can't confirm the Switch version 100%, because it's featured in the January 12th live presentation unlike (all of this is just my speculation) Seasons of Heaven which has already been revealed and 100% confirmed on the Switch.

Yeah this is my thinking too. It would be nuts if they got an earlier release too (with Switch launch) but I very much doubt that.

maxcriden

For the same reason as they can't clearly confirm it : NDA until January.

FWIW, as unusual as the wording is its pretty similar to the non-confirmation statements we've seen from Bethesda and others in the sense that it kinda sounds like it's denying any such product but also technically doesn't do so. So presumably the NDA is indeed at work as LordKano mentioned. I think at this point we can reasonably remain optimistic that the game could launch on Switch in April alongside the other versions.

it will be mine

oh yes

Is this a reference to the Crank Yankees Batman call?!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While I'm sure the commercial situation doesn't help, the fact is, this is a game that would not run on Wii U as it is being built.

Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that they built a game which exceeds the capabilities of the machine but, there it is. They don't have the resources or funds to build a custom, heavily optimized engine for Wii U and Unity just doesn't cut it. Even hitting a reasonably stable 30fps on machines like PS4 and Xbox One is a challenge. I fully believe that the game, as it exists, could not exist on Wii U using this engine.

It was a bad idea to promise this game for Wii U owners, I feel. Selecting Unity was the wrong choice for a Wii U project but building their own tech is prohibitively expensive. It's not clear what the best solution could have been at this point.

It would have to be a different game.

As I said, if they can reach a stable 30fps on PS4 and Xbox One, that will be a feat in and of itself.

maxcriden

or maybe even before??

I wonder how backers would react to that. I feel like there'd be some controversy.

As a Wii-U backer I'm actually pretty alright with this. Had the thought the other day that the next time I'd turn my Wii-U on was when Yooka Laylee came out. Now I'll probably just sell it and get a PS4 code instead.

I wonder how backers would react to that. I feel like there'd be some controversy.

Yeah I'm thinking it's unlikely because of that, but then again they did just cancel the Wii U version.

It's just a bit odd that the Switch version isn't officially listed for April 11th, though that could very well be due to them not officially confirming its existence. I'm sure they've been working on it for a while so it should be doable to get a simultaneous launch.

Yeah I'm thinking it's unlikely because of that, but then again they did just cancel the Wii U version.

It's just a bit odd that the Switch version isn't officially listed for April 11th, though that could very well be due to them not officially confirming its existence. I'm sure they've been working on it for a while so it should be doable to get a simultaneous launch.

Didn't they deny it was in development for Switch fairly recently?

Xellos

I'm fine with moving to Switch or PC, but I backed this for a Wii U version so I'd at least like to see how far they got with it. Would be a nice gesture to release some Wii U footage, even if the game is in a poor state.

Didn't they deny it was in development for Switch fairly recently?

I think they said something like "No official plans for Switch/NX" rather than outright denying it.

I doubt they just now realized a Wii U version wouldn't work or makes little sense financially... A Swtich version has likely been in the works for a while.

Anth0ny

I think it would be a very smart move to have Yooka featured at the January Switch event. Nintendo needs to push this game. It's a Nintendo ass Nintendo game.

Best case scenario, Playtonic and Nintendo develop a strong relationship. Rare 2.0.

While I'm sure the commercial situation doesn't help, the fact is, this is a game that would not run on Wii U as it is being built.

Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that they built a game which exceeds the capabilities of the machine but, there it is. They don't have the resources or funds to build a custom, heavily optimized engine for Wii U and Unity just doesn't cut it. Even hitting a reasonably stable 30fps on machines like PS4 and Xbox One is a challenge. I fully believe that the game, as it exists, could not exist on Wii U using this engine.

It was a bad idea to promise this game for Wii U owners, I feel. Selecting Unity was the wrong choice for a Wii U project but building their own tech is prohibitively expensive. It's not clear what the best solution could have been at this point.

As I said, if they can reach a stable 30fps on PS4 and Xbox One, that will be a feat in and of itself.

Uhhhhh if you're concerned about the final game hitting a stable 30fps on PS4 and Xbox One, shouldn't we be even more worried about the Switch version given it is less powerful than both?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Uhhhhh if you're concerned about the final game hitting a stable 30fps on PS4 and Xbox One, shouldn't we be even more worried about the Switch version given it is less powerful than both?
Yes, absolutely. Doesn't seem like it will be easy to get up and running on Switch.

Anth0ny

So what you're telling me is... they're going for the authentic Nintendo 64 experience? ;)

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I figured this was happening. I feel bad for the Wii U owners who really wanted to play it on that particular system.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut I no longer have a Wii U and was planning to just play this via Steam but selected Wii U as my console. So yes I'm QUITE happy that Yooka Laylee is making the switch to the....Switch. Hopefully it can target April 11th like the others. If I have to wait though it's fine, still get Steam version. I'll be upgrading my Wii U copy to Switch no doubt. I have to play this on a Nintendo system (if I wasn't going to play it on PC initially anyway).

Gartooth

I completely trust them about the Wii U technical problems. I think picking Unity as an engine will have ultimately been a mistake and being stuck with that on the Wii U caused nightmares they had little control over. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Wii U version was responsible for the several months of delay.

They got lucky by having an out with the Switch for Nintendo audiences.

Instro

Wasn't multicore/thread support fixed in Unity a while ago?

cereal_killerxx

Yessss, can't wait for April 11th!

Edit: new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBET707f4s

31534889165_9e934bdba2_z.jpg

Edit 2: Box art

Czi2q1uXAAAeajU.png

This looks soooooooooo good! Is this going to be a full priced game? And I can assume from the box art that this will be available both digital and physical discs?

This looks soooooooooo good! Is this going to be a full priced game? And I can assume from the box art that this will be available both digital and physical discs?

$39.99 USD so not full priced, more like Ratchet and Clank on PS4.

I am all in for a physical copy for PS4, which should have Pro support since all games require it now.

Just waiting for a physical pre-order that has details for the demo, so far nothing on Amazon says I am getting a demo code, so I am holding off for now.

cereal_killerxx

$39.99 USD so not full priced, more like Ratchet and Clank on PS4.

I am all in for a physical copy for PS4, which should have Pro support since all games require it now.

Just waiting for a physical pre-order that has details for the demo, so far nothing on Amazon says I am getting a demo code, so I am holding off for now.

Wow, I really regret not pledging for the Kickstarter. I could have gotten it for ~$20. Oh well. PS4 physical copy sounds good!

Top Bottom