• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi. WTF Nintendo?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
zigg said:
YoshiDaisyMovie.jpg

The only Yoshi that doesn't suck.

This thread went from

Subliminal said:
WAAAH WAAAH MY VIDEO GAME RIDEABLE DINOSAUR WITH A LONG TONGUE THAT EATS FRUIT AND POOPS OUT EGGS DOESN'T LOOK REALISTIC

to

BlazingDarkness said:
BALLZ,LOOK AT MAH BALLZ

Only on GAF can this ever happen. never change GAF, never change :lol

DonMigs85

IGN had a recent article about all the changes Yoshi has undergone, actually. Basically up until Yoshi's story he had a more hunched-over posture, longer neck and small T-rex arms. Then they made him more upright, pretty much got rid of his neck and gave him bigger arms with opposable thumbs. They totally got rid of the "wee-ehh" sound too.
Old one reminds me more of
denver1.jpg

scitek

samusx said:
His head, body, hand, legs, and feet had all ballooned into this stupid babyish round shape. He looks like an idiot. On top of that they have him this awful voice where he says his name, "Yoshiiii" all the time like he was a baby or something.

Dude, each time you meet up with him he's just hatching from an egg. He IS a baby.

DonMigs85

Class_A_Ninja said:
Wrong. It is a just a really short life span. You clearly see true baby Yoshi's in Super Mario World. Feed him 10 guys and you get an adult Yoshi.
And apparently the adult Yoshis that come out of eggs were imprisoned there by Bowser. The true babies musta hatched naturally.
3503405065_62b85306a5.jpg

scitek

Class_A_Ninja said:
Wrong. It is a just a really short life span. You clearly see true baby Yoshi's in Super Mario World. Feed him 10 guys and you get an adult Yoshi.

I didn't want to upset him. Mario kills a lot of Yoshis.

NotWii

Banned
Yoshi's Island SNES has the best yoshi design + sounds
It's also the best 2D platformer ever made (ok, maybe equal second with jungle beat)

Subliminal said:
WAAAH WAAAH MY VIDEO GAME RIDEABLE DINOSAUR WITH A LONG TONGUE THAT EATS FRUIT AND POOPS OUT EGGS DOESN'T LOOK REALISTIC

not sure what is point of this post...yes some dinosaurs ARE herbivorous, could have long tongues maybe, it is never specific that egg is "pooped", nintendo would not be graphic to say yoshi eggs are fecal matters from the anus, he could be asexual and each fruit give him energy to pollinate himself and reproduce :)

Stop pretending you care. All you do is make the poor bastard eat random shit that would give Godzilla stomach burns and drop him in bottomless pits every chance you get.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Class_A_Ninja said:
Both CG Mario and Yoshi look like fucking creeps.
Pretty much. The CG renders for SM64 were kinda crap, yet Nintendo made them the de facto standard and has never really iterated on the style much in the mainline Mario titles since. They look a lot better with the shading in SMG and NSMB at least, but I still think the underlying designs could use another pass.

Also, why is cel-shading apparently off-limits for Mario? It seems like a much more natural fit than it did for Zelda.

bounchfx

I completely agree. I liked him best in world/island.

HOWEVER, he's a fucking bad ass in SMG2 again. he still has a cutesy-ish voice, but they have his original SMW sound when you hop on him, plus his animations are fucking adorable.

he is back as far as I'm concerned. fuck the in-betweens though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
DonMigs85 said:
IGN had a recent article about all the changes Yoshi has undergone, actually. Basically up until Yoshi's story he had a more hunched-over posture, longer neck and small T-rex arms. Then they made him more upright, pretty much got rid of his neck and gave him bigger arms with opposable thumbs. They totally got rid of the "wee-ehh" sound too.
Old one reminds me more of
http://girlonthepark.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/denver1.jpg

OMG DENVER

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I didn't care much for Yoshi's Story as a game, but I wouldn't expect great character design from Nintendo. They are focused on gameplay and intuitive controls. Story, character design, etc are best found in other companies.

The design of Yoshi is fine. What killed him is its new sound effects since Yoshi's Story:

- Awfull baby voice.
- Taking a dump when jumping higher instead of the perfect Yoshi's Island sound.
- Generally looking like a baby (sound wise anyways)

Yoshi's Island sound and design was perfect and it should have been modern Yoshi. But Nintendo messed up.

I don't really mind his new design, but I do seriously prefer the SMW2: Yoshi's Island sound effects to the sound effects that have been used in Yoshi's Story, Smash Bros., et cetera. I also prefer the swooping version of his extended jump that's really good for getting additional horizontal distance to the "NRRRRRRRRM" *slight upward climb* that Yoshi's Story introduced.

I wouldn't post a thread about it though because seriously who cares.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
While I don't necessarily mind the changes, I just can't understand the decision to give Yoshi big hands (sure it makes him more appealing as a mascot... but for function?). Yoshi's ability has always been almost solely relegated to his tongue. It's his strength, it's all he ever needed. His hands just serve to personify him more than necessary and take away from the dinosaur-like image that he had before.

Now that I mention it, I do believe that I recall Yoshi using his hands to throw eggs in one of his games. Although the design really didn't need to be changed to supplement this new mechanic.

WillyFive

What I didn't like about the movie Yoshi was that he was barely green, and looked too small to be ride-able.

HK-47 said:

This would have been perfect for the movie. Would make you just want for Mario to ride him in the movie.

Top Bottom