• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono comments on Street Fighter 5 buttslap and related changes

I honestly don't feel the overlap between people that might be interested in playing this game, and people that would utterly refuse to because of Mika's butt slap is large enough to be significant.

I wish he'd just make the game he wants to make. If it's the one we're getting then that's cool. He says they didn't take it off due to controversy but they definitly did. They wanted to nip that talking point in the bud before reviews and all that are out as it was already beginning as soon as people saw it.

I wish he stuck to his guns but whatever. I like either doing it conservative to begin with or doing what you want and sticking with it. I really dislike flipflopping for some reason.

At least we have hot ryu and sexy chun li.

TheOGB

Banned
ITT shitty trigger jokes
did anyone bust out "V-Triggered" yet

Seeing Chun practically 3/4 nude gets me sprung more than Mika's ass slap ever could, so where do you draw the line, Ono?

Where...do you draw...the.....

....brb....
wait, take this with you
jYJfhko.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
I wish he'd just make the game he wants to make. If it's the one we're getting then that's cool. He says they didn't take it off due to controversy but they definitly did. They wanted to nip that talking point in the bud before reviews and all that are out as it was already beginning as soon as people saw it.

I wish he stuck to his guns but whatever. I like either doing it conservative to begin with or doing what you want and sticking with it. I really dislike flipflopping for some reason.

It's one of his favorite characters too. Bet it stings.

Pompadour

This is wrong though. They were busty and fetish fuel from the beginning and have been in in every entree.

Ono somehow acting like this non solution would really matter to anyone besides pissing off those who don't want to see that kind of thing edited out seems counter productive to me, especially since they largely didn't do shit about anything else. If you(Ono) really felt the way you do, the game would have been designed in a different way from the start in regards to design.

Of course they always have been that way but it doesn't mean it's time to double down on it. Lots of people here will defend SFV but point at the DOA series as "going too far" so that does imply there's gradations of fanservice. Capcom doesn't have to keep going down that path just because they set a precedent, they could keep those characters at the previous level of sexual objectification instead of trying to hunt down that demographic of people who solely buy DOA for the T&A.

I'll agree with your second point, however. Capcom made the change because it was cheap and easy to do so. Perhaps if they foresaw the minor backlash SFV has received over the designs of the women in SFV (and I want to emphasize that this was a minor backlash, even in the hyperbolic world of gaming forums) then R. Mika would have had a less stupid outfit. But as it stands now, I'm sure they just made the change to put a band-aid on that situation in case the backlash grew to a substantial enough size that it might impact sales.

Popnbake

Exactly. It's possible that some minor adjustments (not just this butt slap thing) could make it look a little less like a "guy game".

I'm not saying I have some complete idea of what that would look like, but the development team may tweak things here and there to create a slightly different overall impression.

It would take more than some minor adjustments to achieve that.

Otherwise it's a decision which, while ultimately inconsequential to the overall game's quality, feels like it appeases nobody.

This one decision yes, but we could get to a point where anything silly like this is gone.

Then we're left with strong language, and extreme neck slicing close-ups that no one has a problem with.

Crocodile

Essentially:

3RNF8.jpg

I can understand if the team wanted to moderate the character designs/actions - at least with the default outfits - to broaden appeal. But that's something you do at the beginning, not late in development in a half-assed way that still leaves "worse" elements that might offend the group you're worried about untouched. This pisses off people who like sexual fanservice, though I still argue the move actually made sense for Mika's character, but doesn't appease those who don't.

Exactly. It's possible that some minor adjustments (not just this butt slap thing) could make it look a little less like a "guy game".

But not Mika's thong, or the gigantic breast window?

Or Cammy's thong, her victory pose showing off her ass, her super art that freezes on her ass, or her victory animation where she spreads her legs in a delayed cartwheel?

Or Chun Li's wedgie, her Spinning Bird Kick that has her spread her legs and flips up her dress, or literally everything about her "HOT" costume which includes side-boob, very exposed breast view, and bare legs and back?

Or Laura's thong, bare mid-drift and exposed breasts?

And who knows how risque Mika's alt will be as well as everything a black widow seductress character like Juri will bring when she joins.

The biggest problem with these changes is that they aren't consistent. You can't claim to remove something like slapping one's butt (a direct reference to the character type Mika is spoofing / paying homage to) for the sake of playing down the sexuality of the game yet leave in ALL of that stated above which is much more prevalent during an actual fight and typical gameplay. It's vegetarian who loves having a weekly burger.

You think a butt slap is the thing that will stop a female player from picking up SFV?
Some girls would feel bad about it the same way a some guys would feel bad with Zangief holding the mushroom head of his junk in a close-up camera.

So yes, I think it might make some girls feel bad playing it, and removing it makes no difference at all for guys.

If it makes such a difference for some one, I would recommend go to xvideos, "browse" it for 2 hours, and go back to SFV. I'm sure the his problem with the butt-slap removal wouldn't be that important anymore.

ZangBa

Some girls would feel bad about it the same way a some guys would feel bad with Zangief holding the mushroom head of his junk in a close-up camera.

So yes, I think it might make some girls feel bad playing it, and removing it makes no difference at all for guys.

If it makes such a difference for some one, I would recommend go to xvideos, "browse" it for 2 hours, and go back to SFV. I'm sure the his problem with the butt-slap removal wouldn't be that important anymore.

That would be hilarious, though.

Platy

Lauras massive tits, rmika outfit that clearly highlights her tits,, chun li alt where shes barely wearing anything.

But that slap. That is a line we do not cross. Capcom fun police says that was too much fun.

Laura and Mika biggest problem is that they don't seem to have any support for their breasts.
Put some sport bras by the love of god that must hurt !

Henkka

Banned
Well, I'm sure the kind of people who would be put off by the butt slap are still put off by the costumes. So I don't think it's an effective change to bring about the results Ono is looking for. And besides, I'm sure a lot of design and planning went into creating each of those animations, and it's a shame one is now awkwardly obscured by the camera pulling away. Just do what you want to do and the people who are into it are into it, and the people who aren't, aren't. Follow your dreams... Of butts.

Pompadour

Right. This act is called Self-censorship.

Street Fighter isn't the work of an auteur. It's a very mainstream video game that they want to sell to as many people as possible. The reason why the game featured an ass-slapping pro wrestler wearing a revealing web of spandex is probably the same reason why they "censored" that ass slap: money.

No, it's called editing for market. Nier added strong language to it's dialogue to give it an "M" rating. Transformers the animated movie added one use of "shit" to the dialogue to make it a "PG" in the US.

Censorship is something forced. Massive difference.

What? This situation directly corresponds to the definition of Self-censorship as denoted in the link.

Crocodile

That's a thing real wrestlers do/approximate. Not the type of wrestler archetype that Zangief specially represents but if Capcom wanted to make a WWE style pretty boy heel wrestler character, such a person could pull that off with no shame. I refuse to believe any male consumer would avoid buying a SF game over that and I find it inconceivable that any consumer might be turned off from SFV by the buttslap but nothing else in the game.

Street Fighter's racial and cultural stereotypes could be construed as offensive by some. But those cheesey stereotypes are also what makes the game fun. Street Fighter 2 never would have been popular if people had been easily offended back then. At some point, you have to be careful not to strip the game of its appeal.

You've got it slightly twisted. The same people who were offended by the likes of SFII are the same ones offended by certain aspects of SFV. Only difference is, it's 2015, not 1992, and there are a lot more avenues for those voices to speak their concerns and garner attention for doing so today versus back then.

That's the only real difference.

Uhm...what makes you think guys were the only ones who enjoyed the buttslap?

On a side note, should I request Urien just stick to the suit b/c I might end up offended seeing he has a better physique than I do?

No, it's called editing for market. Nier added strong language to it's dialogue to give it an "M" rating. Transformers the animated movie added one use of "shit" to the dialogue to make it a "PG" in the US.

Censorship is something forced. Massive difference.
Not true at all.
Self-censorship is the act of censoring or classifying one's own blog, book, film, or other forms of media. This is done out of fear of, or deference to, the sensibilities or preferences (actual or perceived) of others and without overt pressure from any specific party or institution of authority.
self-censorship
noun /ˌselfˈsen.sə.ʃɪp/ US /-sɚ-/
› ​control of what you say or do in ​order to ​avoid ​annoying or ​offending ​others, but without being told ​officially that such ​control is ​necessary:

I don't particularly care about the butt-slaps being taken out. Works for me and I've got no complaints, as long as Hot Ryu remains. But you don't get to ignore the definition of terms.

ZangBa

I can already image the petition to remove the junk close up, made by the same guys asking for butt-slap.

I'd wager it's far more likely the same people who find the buttslap offensive enough to be removed, would be the ones to complain about Zangief thrusting his crotch in the camera.

Ferrio

Banned

I'd be up for Urien adjusting himself, that thong can't be comfortable. Maybe make it his idle animation?

The Orz

I would like to know who in Capcom saw Mika's critical art--among all of the more suggestive items in the game--and said, "That's it. That's too much. But leave the part where they sandwich Bison between their cheeks. That's fun!"

;_;

Henkka

Banned
Street Fighter isn't the work of an auteur. It's a very mainstream video game that they want to sell to as many people as possible. The reason why the game featured an ass-slapping pro wrestler wearing a revealing web of spandex is probably the same reason why they "censored" that ass slap: money.
Still, it's clear they wanted to include it in the game and were proud of it. It was after they released the character reveal that someone told them 'Guys, this might be offensive' and they obscured it. It's not censorship, but it is... Kinda lame.

I'm fine with them making the game they want, but if they want it "less offensive", they probably should have that type of thinking when they started making the game. Changing their stance midway through development will invariably cause some people to prefer the original view and complain about it.

Then again, those things might be inevitable.

What? This situation directly corresponds to the definition of Self-censorship as denoted in the link.

So Nier was anti-censored or edited? I'm english so we may use it differently - censorship is a word I'd use when a change is forced and out of your control. Changing something because the US gaming bloggers have created massive issues about this is just making a version for the market.

Top Bottom