• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can choose only 1 animated film to recommend as a must-watch masterpiece. Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I
Such a compelling historical piece from start to finish. It's done by Ghibli so even though the animation might look old-school, it's still gorgeous to look at, with lots of attention to little details. It also has a really genuine story. Just incredibly light-hearted, & super uplifting. Captures some tender childhood moments flawlessly. It's like a warm blanket on a cozy, rainy day.

LIES AND SLANDER

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Greatest musical there is.

I saw this the first year I moved to America from Kuwait. Having been to Iraq numerous times, and living under Saddam as a dictator about whom you wouldn't even dare to utter anything remotely negative in public made this movie unbelievable.

My jaw was on the floor. Love this film to bits.

Tokyo Godfathers.

LOVE this. And, the season to watch it is just around the corner. :D

Spirited Away is so full of Japanese mythology and tropes that it just feels weird and incomprehensible. The animation quality is good but I feel like it asks too much of the viewer to already understand the mythology behind all the disparate elements.

I'd sooner nominate Castle in the Sky.

ElTopo

Banned
Ghost in the Shell.

Probably the greatest existential film that doesn't feel pretentious or overlong. In fact it's a little too short and you wish it was longer. Animation that holds up today, great action scenes, and a very heady concept that is superbly handled.

Only flaw is that some of the lines in the English Dub could have been better delivered. I really wouldn't mind a re-dub with Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn as Motoko and the actors pronouncing Ishikawa's name correctly.

W6gb.jpg

Probably the most interesting subject matter I've seen put into a children's film. And the visuals are gorgeous. The sequel is no slouch either.

Ghost in the Shell.

Probably the greatest existential film that doesn't feel pretentious or overlong. In fact it's a little too short and you wish it was longer. Animation that holds up today, great action scenes, and a very heady concept that is superbly handled.

Only flaw is that some of the lines in the English Dub could have been better delivered. I really wouldn't mind a re-dub with Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn as Motoko and the actors pronouncing Ishikawa's name correctly.

This one of my favorite movies of all time (then again I a massive GiTS fanatic) but some people I showed it to said it was a bit too dry. Meh, I still adore it.

Epcott

I love animation, but the one film I can watch and never grow tired of is:

The Incredibles.

That movie even trumps live action comic book films.

terrisus

W6gb.jpg

Probably the most interesting subject matter I've seen put into a children's film. And the visuals are gorgeous. The sequel is no slouch either.

This is a bit too specifically American (obviously) for a general overall recommendation, but it's still a good choice.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
D:

I'm sorry to hear the film didn't connect with you. It really, really deserves a 2nd shot. Maybe watch it again in a more relaxed state of mind? Like with wine or some other alcohol. Just unwind with it y'know?

so I cry some more... No, not doing it again, T_T

Breloom

Neo Member
I haven't seen Millenium Actress yet, didn't really look super appealing to me but it's getting a lot of praise from you guys. Guess I should check it out soon.
My favourite animated film, honestly, is probably Whisper of the Heart. But if I had to choose only 1 film to recommend as a must watch, it's gotta be Princess Mononoke. Grave of the Fireflies coming in at a close second.

This is a bit too specifically American (obviously) for a general overall recommendation, but it's still a good choice.

The main characters are Russian/Jewish immigrants who are chased out of their home, believe America to be a land of opportunity, and are disillusioned when they discover that it's just as bad if not worse than what they left behind. Most of the lead supporting characters have an Irish, Russian, or Italian nationality as a big part of their identity. The most generically American/New York-ish characters are villains taking advantage of the immigrant populace. It's got a shitton more meat than a generically all-American kind of movie, but that's me.

terrisus

The main characters are Russian/Jewish immigrants who are chased out of their home, believe America to be a land of opportunity, and are disillusioned when they discover that it's just as bad if not worse than what they left behind. Most of the lead supporting characters have an Irish, Russian, or Italian nationality as a big part of their identity. The most generically American/New York-ish characters are villains taking advantage of the immigrant populace. It's got a shitton more meat than a generically all-American kind of movie, but that's me.

Of course the characters are of all different nationalities, but it's based around the extremely American theme of "Come to America for a better life"/"All countries want to come to America"/"America is the melting pot of cultures"/etc.

It's not an "all-American kind of movie" necessarily, but the themes and focus of it are extremely American.

Of course the characters are of all different nationalities, but it's based around the extremely American theme of "Come to America for a better life"/"All countries want to come to America"/"America is the melting pot of cultures"/etc.

It's not an "all-American kind of movie" necessarily, but the themes and focus of it are extremely American.

You're not wrong, but I think from a history standpoint, it's very approachable, even if Hollywoodized somewhat. It's very genuine in spite of that, because it doesn't present life in America as wonderful and magical.

I'm not sure what I would pick as a replacement, but I can't take my choice back, so it stands.

I really respect the movie because it also feels like something that could be approached in a literary medium, and still be a story with a lot of meat to it. It has a Dickensian quality to it, to me, and it references The Brothers Karamazov.
I could be crazy to say that. CRAZY.

Ezalc

Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa for me personally. Grave of the Fireflies is heartbreaking. Wall-e is good until they get on the ship, then it just goes downhill. It's still a great movie though.

Clov

Belladonna of Sadness is brilliant.

I'm surprised to see that somebody else has watched this! Good choice; the movie itself is very interesting, and I love the more surreal bits in it. It was pretty clear Mushi Pro was having financial difficulties during production for this though, given how many scenes are just pans across paintings. Very good paintings, but still.

If I had to choose just one, it would be Angel's Egg. My personal favorite Oshii film; it's beautiful, and fascinating.

tnt28.jpg

Dresden

Gauche the Cellist is pretty nice; directed by Isao Takahata, it has a wonderfully smug cat (and music and stuff, but we must place the important things first).

20135-gauche_super.jpg

I'm surprised to see that somebody else has watched this! Good choice; the movie itself is very interesting, and I love the more surreal bits in it. It was pretty clear Mushi Pro was having financial difficulties during production for this though, given how many scenes are just pans across paintings. Very good paintings, but still.

If I had to choose just one, it would be Angel's Egg. My personal favorite Oshii film; it's beautiful, and fascinating.

tnt28.jpg

Belladonna is such a strange movie. When I watched it I liked it, but at this point I wonder if being simply strange is enough to push it over the top for me. Not so fond of the super retro 70's ost now, either, though actually being from that time excuses it in this area.

Angel's Egg is Oshii's visual style and personal obsessions boiled down into one giant allegory of a film. Wonderful stuff.

0e6GgFsl.jpg

The Adventures of Prince Achmed

Made with cut paper on layers of glass and paint-on-film, it is an absolutely stunning film that surpasses the limitations of its medium to create a world and experience unlike any other animated film I have seen. Not only is it one of the earliest animated feature length films, it was also spear-headed by the female director/animator Lotte Reiniger. It is a wonderful film, and I highly, highly recommend it.

Magwik

Banned
I really liked Tintin. The incredibles or Lion King are my recommendations. Also Return of the Joker >>>> Mask of the Phantasm

Dresden

0e6GgFsl.jpg

The Adventures of Prince Achmed

Made with cut paper on layers of glass and paint-on-film, it is an absolutely stunning film that surpasses the limitations of its medium to create a world and experience unlike any other animated film I have seen. Not only is it one of the earliest animated feature length films, it was also spear-headed by the female director/animator Lotte Reiniger. It is a wonderful film, and I highly, highly recommend it.

This I will watch. Thanks for the rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom