• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can choose only 1 animated film to recommend as a must-watch masterpiece. Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I never understood the appeal. I feel like you had to be a child of the 80s and enjoyed the cartoon at the time to like this movie.
That's like saying you had to be born in the '60s or '70s to appreciate Star Wars. While it is true to an extent; the special effects haven't aged well, but in terms of story, it's still miles better than the second trilogy. It's true with The Transformers as well. It's a simple coming of age story that mimics Star Wars. There are some animation errors, but as a whole it holds up quite well. The music is catchy (Weird Al Yankovic included), script has great one-liners, voice acting is excellent. It's better than anything Bay came up with and therefore should be remembered as the greatest Transformers movie of all time.

the-iron-giant-nuke.jpg

SUPERMAN ;_;

Bold One

It's been a few months since I blindly followed the advice of random gaffers and just watched something they reccomended (I watch my Dredd and Speed Racer blus regularly) so I'll make this my next priority, thanks. (My friend has made me watch several by the people that made Spirited Away and his favorite Princess Mononoke.)

Glad youre giving it a go

please do let us know what you think once you've watched it

J.W.Crazy

I would have gone with Grave of the Fireflies myself but since the OP started with it I'll say Mary and Max.

cb3e45f2a2c978a70f687u0kom.jpg

I've always loved the look of claymation and it's a really touching and emotional movie. Not quite as soul crushingly depressing as Grave of the Fireflies but still pretty sad in it's own right.

dYvyF1RlNokAd1N7Nek0vDpYsV6.jpg

I doubt that anyone will agree with me, but it's the best to me, and one of my favourites.
My favourite is Transformers: The Movie (1986).

Bold One

I would have gone with Grave of the Fireflies myself but since the OP started with it I'll say Mary and Max.

I've always loved the look of claymation and it's a really touching and emotional movie. Not quite as soul crushingly depressing as Grave of the Fireflies but still pretty sad in it's own right.
yes, great pick

Jintor

I love a lot of animated films, but I think the one that has stuck with me all this time is probably Princess Mononoke.

ionitron

The Emperor's New Groove

Awesome style, unique environments and set pieces, Goodman and Spade kill it and actually have a great arc separately and together. The humor is spot on, breaks the fourth wall just enough, great music, competent and entertaining female characters, good length and never drags.

When asked what my favorite movie is, I say this without any second thoughts.

Emperor's New Groove is honestly the most underrated Disney movie since the 90s I think. It's too damn funny.

My personal favorite is The Iron Giant, it hits /all/ the right notes for me so it's totally up there. I think the scope of Spirited Away, though, would make it my "masterpiece" of choosing.

A Scanner Darkly

Interesting choice.

Downhome

I went through and read each post to see if this one had been mentioned yet before I posted and had it as my pick. Good job.

For those of you who haven't seen if yet, please take the time to hive it a watch. It's incredible.

Vinci

Danish
nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind_592x299.jpg

Nausicaa: Of The Valley of The Wind

NO ONE POSTED THIS YET?

WHAT THE HELL MAN.

The problem is that the movie is diminished a bit after reading the manga. Which is something any fan of the movie should do because it's one of the greatest mangas ever.

Kanyon

What is this? Looks fantastic!

As for my recommendations, for anime I'd have to go with Ghost In The Shell as it's just a culturally significant piece of Japanese animation whose story still holds up today.

For American or traditional 2D or 3D I'd have to go with The Incredibles. Great story, visuals, characters and still the benchmark (outside of Winter Soldier) on how a superhero movie should be done.

Number45

On page 2 of this thread, and I think I'm just going to stop searching Amazon Instant Video (UK) for any more of the films. :'(

Will look to pick some up on BR.

One is not enough. One is never enough.

But there is one, though, that should never be forgotten: The Last Unicorn.

Oh wow..

I remember renting this from a mom and pop store as a kid, but it was some bootleg VHS (probably copy of a copy of a copy, etc.) I didn't know jack about resolution at the time, but the video quality was so bad that I just couldn't finish it. Totally forgot about this movie.

I might have to give it a second chance now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom