• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can play through Wind Waker HD on a First Person perspective

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Glad I had this preordered when it was $49.99 at Amazon.

The Lamp

tumblr_mjaqag5Y2Y1qh7hnuo1_r2_400.gif

holy shit lmao

Just watched the footage. Holy crap, how is this the first game with selfies? This is genuinely the greatest idea I've seen in a game in a long time, and it's so obvious.

what was the sales of the first game? I imagine that millions who missed out the first time will see this game as worth the price. i think you are probably not the target market unless there is some improvement that will justify the purchase for you. what would it take for you?

Nothing? I want it to be $40, because I don't want the standard to be exceeded by this game. More or less, it's a matter of principle - Nintendo is going at least $10 more than the standard MSRP for a port/remake/compilation (one can assume), if not $20. It's compounded by Nintendo releasing all of their games for $60, making it seem like they don't really "get" the $60 price point.

Neiteio

Yeah, I like it. I like to think of an actual remastering effort, which is to produce the "truest version" of a source. Like imagine there is some "true Wind Waker" in the nebulous ether out there, but only so much of it could realistically manifest on the GameCube, due to the technology of the era. And now they take that same idea, and polish up the parts they couldn't before. Like how loading the whole ocean in RAM solves the travel speed issues they couldn't overcome originally. Polishing up assets like the clouds, the textures, the lighting, just squeezing as much Wind Waker out of it as they can, with the technology they now have access to, and the perspective granted by the passage of time.

But there is effort to not go so far as to not be the original game any more. When you remember an old game, then actually play it, sometimes you can be shocked by how old and clunky it actually was. I think these remasters are basically trying to re-release those old games, but have the match your memories of them more than the realities of what they were. Same skeleton, same code, same original everything, just shined up real good.

Nintendo remasters I consider to basically "replace" their originals. A remake of a game can stand apart from the original, but a remaster IS the original, just polished to fuck. There becomes effectively no reason to play the original any more.
Ah, so this is like the "True Wind Waker" floating around in Plato's Realm of Ideal Forms, if memory of high school philosophy class serves me correct. :)

I agree, and I share your appreciation for what they're doing. Same core essence, but acclimated to the times. Ideally, it'll be "how you remember it," like you said, but improved in ways that could only be fully appreciated going back to the original and realizing that, yeah, not everything had aged perfectly in that game, and perhaps the extra crispness, extra scale, quicker loading, quicker gameplay, etc, of the HD version will really add up in spectacular ways when all is said and done.

It's animation related and since they're not redoing animations it's going unfixed. Not a big deal, it's barely noticeable in gameplay. If you notice it though then... you're SOL lol.

Yeah, tweaking the animations would be too much work for a $60 rerelease of a Gamecube game.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if people expected an entirely brand new game for that amount of money?

Persona7

Banned
i'll call it an Enhanced Remaster

it is beyond a Port but it isn't the same level as a Remake.

in a Port, the same game is made to run in different hardware with minimal changes. the game is just optimized to run on the new machine. examples: most HD collections, New Play Control Wii lineup.

in a Remake, the whole game is coded from scratch and several parts resemble the original to keep part of the spirit. examples: MGS TTS, Pokemon FRLG and HGSS, Metroid Zero Mission.

in an Enhanced Remaster (as i'm just going to call this), they take an existing game and do several tweaks to the gameplay and graphics that result in a game that is still the same at the core but it is different enough to stand on it's own.

if these were movies, a Port would be when you get a movie in multiple formats, a Remake is when you get a new movie that uses an old one as the guideline (the original Friday the 13th vs the new one) and an Enhanced Remaster is when you get a heavily edited director's cut of an old movie (think Star Wars Ep 4-6 remasters)

I will stick with Upgraded Port.

Darryl

Banned
Yeah, tweaking the animations would be too much work for a $60 rerelease of a Gamecube game.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if people expected an entirely brand new game for that amount of money?

i am expecting a new zelda game to launch sometime into the future for $60

Tripon

Just watched the footage. Holy crap, how is this the first game with selfies? This is genuinely the greatest idea I've seen in a game in a long time, and it's so obvious.

I think Nintendo was trying to figure out how to counter Sony and MS allowing video capture and just said 'Fuck it, allow selfies", and so it was done.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Indeed, haven´t replayed Wind Waker since it launched on my birthday back in 2003. Man those were some happy days.
Now think of the people who will discover Wind Waker for the first time with this remastered version. The happiness.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ya, it looks like potions are going to be the main way to heal.

And unlike Skyward Sword, you can't boost potions to make you recover more health or make you invincible. So Wind Waker's Hero Mode should be even harder than Skyward Sword's.

Wait.. But can you play windwaker with wimmote+nunchuck and use motion controls on it *swinging sword, bow and arrow, etc) like Skyward Sword?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And unlike Skyward Sword, you can't boost potions to make you recover more health or make you invincible. So Wind Waker's Hero Mode should be even harder than Skyward Sword's.

The Magic Armor may become useful for the first time ever!

Wait.. But can you play windwaker with wimmote+nunchuck and use motion controls on it *swinging sword, bow and arrow, etc) like Skyward Sword?

No, traditional controls only. Can motion-aim the bow with the GamePad at least, same as in OOT3D.

I'm pretty hyped about hero mode from the start and the selfie thing sounds like a bit of fun but I swear to god if the next Zelda is completely in first person and doesn't give me the option to go into third person I'm going to be livid.

I don't even know why this ticks me off so much, but it does. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Maybe, but direct combat in WW was never challenging to begin with, especially that OP side roll backstab. Just not certain it will make that much of a difference outside of behaving irrationally. As mentioned, it was so rare for enemies to deliver damage beyond 1/4 or 1/2 hearts anyway so doubling that with a bounty of heart containers...I guess we'll see. I cannot think back on a single encounter in the entire game that ever seemed troubling. The big optional post-game survival dungeon I guess...but that is different. Still, a very smart move to offer that mode at all, as well as not keep it held hostage after a first playthrough.

Hopefully it has a fast forward or skip option for cutscenes. The E3 demo alone i found really troubling to sit through all the talky segments of that opening island again, even with a decade long gap.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I love the different expressions you can pick with the selfies lol. Lots of crazy miiverse pictures coming up!

Revven

Grandma's Soup says hi (when you heal her with the fairy). Double damage up for Link (until you get hit) + fully restores your health iirc.

Gsnap

Yeah like a few people have said. Even Hero Mode won't be that much of a challenge. Pretty much all 3D zeldas have incredibly easy combat. Lock on and attack. Even OoT and MM weren't difficult when it came to the swordplay. IF you choose to not use fairies or grandma's soup, and you don't use too many potions then you might have a decent challenge. But ultimately it won't be much harder.

Not that I'm complaining, that's just the way it is.

Top Bottom