• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can play through Wind Waker HD on a First Person perspective

Jezan

gkeED54.png

new area or redesigned hyrule?
Teleport area, that is a warp point, you can see the King of Red Lions beside it. That's how you go
to the surface

RagnarokX

Okay that's weird. What does it override it with after you beat hero mode? Just a before-the-boss-save?

I've yet to venture into Hero Mode in SS.

If you want to keep your first save file, copy it before beating the game. To keep a hero mode save you can keep replaying, copy the hero mode save before starting it to keep a fresh one you can copy over an old save and restart continuously.

They should've allowed 2 items for each of the 3 asignable slots.

Also would have been nice to have Wii Remote support, not reason not to.

Or at least controlling the sword with the right thumbstick would have been pretty nice as a control option XD

In the off chance that he does have an actual impairment, as you suggest, I think it'd be cool if you were more sensitive about it.

Fuck that. That's like having someone with missing toenails model a pair of sandals just for the sake of treating everyone fair and being politically correct. I don't want to stare at something that looks like a child sloppily stitched your toes, man. I want to buy sandals!

Fuck that. That's like having someone with missing toenails model a pair of sandals just for the sake of treating everyone fair and being politically correct. I don't want to stare at something that looks like a child sloppily stitched your toes, man. I want to buy sandals!

Easy solution: don't watch their videos

terrisus

Oo

You're aware that this has always been in Zelda games, right? If it didn't bother you before it will not do so now. All they did was improve how it works.

While standing still, sure (since Ocarina of Time anyway).
Not while moving (aside from on Epona I suppose)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
While standing still, sure (since Ocarina of Time anyway).
Not while moving (aside from on Epona I suppose)

The Wii version of Twilight Princess could do it, too. Which was pretty dag convenient. Not for like just walking everywhere while aiming, but for like peeking out from around corners then back in again. (It wasn't really first-person, but it was the same idea.)

That is the main reason they stuck with midi for so long. Miyamoto loves dynamic audio and midi makes this incredibly easy. Fixed, pre-recorded audio would complicate this to no end, though it's possible to design a game with that in mind. Retrofitting that into an old game is not really feasible.

Sorry, but i dont buy this reasoning at all. The dynamic audio in WW amounts to nothing more than an extra underlying track that plays when the player does something. You can see this implemented in plenty of the fully orchestrated Skyward Sword tracks. As for the WW tracks that change notably depending on what is happening(eg. Phantom Gannon) Skyward Sword has fully orchestrated tracks like the Scaldera one that do the same. I do not buy the idea that freakin Nintendo doesnt have the resources to do this justice at all. If they want to charge full price for this shit then they should provide a full-priced product. Flat-out laziness if you ask me.

D-e-f-

Banned
Sorry, but i dont buy this reasoning at all. The dynamic audio in WW amounts to nothing more than an extra underlying track that plays when the player does something. You can see this implemented in plenty of the fully orchestrated Skyward Sword tracks. As for the WW tracks that change notably depending on what is happening(eg. Phantom Gannon) Skyward Sword has fully orchestrated tracks like the Scaldera one that do the same. I do not buy the idea that freakin Nintendo doesnt have the resources to do this justice at all. If they want to charge full price for this shit then they should provide a full-priced product. Flat-out laziness if you ask me.

But what you're saying does nothing to counter my post. All I said was that retrofitting that for this re-release likely isn't feasible. I never said they couldn't somehow do it.

Everyone loves to throw around laziness all the time, how about resource constraints? EAD is working on three Zelda titles right now, two of them due this year. WWHD is pretty much an emergency release that needed to be out at a certain time while not detracting too much attention and resources away from development of proper Zelda U. They're already adding a lot of extra polish to the game while upgrading the visuals and redesigning some of the segments of the game. Going in and replacing the audio code to pull orchestrated music that they would have to get arranged and recorded and produced on top of that seems like an extra step that would be awesome if there but also time/resource consuming to do.

Of course everyone always wants everything but at some point one has to accept certain realities surrounding the development conditions. Going by a few comments here, they did rework at least one of the boss tracks apparently so maybe we'll be surprised with more updates once the retail game is out.

Also, you need to stop throwing this full price stuff around. Pricing has not been announced for the game. Save your rage until they actually do that.

But what you're saying does nothing to counter my post. All I said was that retrofitting that for this re-release likely isn't feasible. I never said they couldn't somehow do it.

Everyone loves to throw around laziness all the time, how about resource constraints? EAD is working on three Zelda titles right now, two of them due this year. WWHD is pretty much an emergency release that needed to be out at a certain time while not detracting too much attention and resources away from development of proper Zelda U. They're already adding a lot of extra polish to the game while upgrading the visuals and redesigning some of the segments of the game. Going in and replacing the audio code to pull orchestrated music that they would have to get arranged and recorded and produced on top of that seems like an extra step that would be awesome if there but also time/resource consuming to do.

Of course everyone always wants everything but at some point one has to accept certain realities surrounding the development conditions. Going by a few comments here, they did rework at least one of the boss tracks apparently so maybe we'll be surprised with more updates once the retail game is out.

Also, you need to stop throwing this full price stuff around. Pricing has not been announced for the game. Save your rage until they actually do that.

Every single piece of evidence we've seen, be it from reps or retailers, has pointed to $50-$60. If you're going to charge that, then having the same dated music quality in the game is simply unacceptable.

People, please read the posts ...you're beating a dead horse.

What, I should lower my expectations for full-priced games because the Zelda team is stretching themselves thin internally? Boo-hoo, if they can't deliver a title that justifies the asking price then they should've delayed it. I'm not going to accept such a compromise just because they want to make the holidays. That is, assuming the recycled music is actually a case of lacking resources(because a few small gameplay adjustments apparently requires the attention of the Zelda team for several months) and not just a cynical assumption that people will eat this shit up for $60 anyways.

Neiteio

I'm eager to see how improving the pacing improves the game. Lots of things quickening the pace:

- Swift Sail: A 50% increase in sailing speed, and the ability to sail at full speed in any direction without changing the wind

- Touchscreen for the occasions where you use the baton (I.E. dungeons, etc)

- Touchscreen for instant access to inventory, maps, etc

- Dedicated buttons for the baton, sail, dredging hook, cannon, etc

- Quicker animations, I.E. the grappling hook latching on

- Obtain five Triforce pieces directly; only translate maps and dredge for three

That's off the top of my head. So once you've done the first dungeon and acquired the Swift Sail from the Auction House on Windfall, you're traveling to every island 50 percent faster, never stopping to change direction -- you just hop in the boat and go... and the Triforce quest at the end should take only a fraction of the time... and you'll rarely waste time fiddling with your inventory or baton, since dedicated buttons and touch make it all so quick and convenient.

So you'll be quicker getting to dungeons, to puzzles, to combat, to treasure. Add to this the improved photo support, with more picture slots and selfies and Miiverse support, and the bottles washing up on shores with messages from other players, and the whole world feels more personal, more alive.

Add to this the rebalanced Hero Mode, available from the start, which should freshen things a tad, with a bit more incentive to play smart. And then there's seeing the game again in crisp 1080p, new shaders and textures, new lighting and shadows, widescreen, a recalibrated HUD, some slightly rearranged music... Should be nice.

D-e-f-

Banned
What, I should lower my expectations for full-priced games because the Zelda team is stretching themselves thin internally? Boo-hoo, if they can't deliver a title that justifies the asking price then they should've delayed it. I'm not going to accept such a compromise just because they want to make the holidays. That is, assuming the recycled music is actually a case of lacking resources(because a few small gameplay adjustments apparently requires the attention of the Zelda team for several months) and not just a cynical assumption that people will eat this shit up for $60 anyways.

You entirely missed the point.

You started off by going on about evidence suggesting the $60 when right above your post we got confirmation from gamexplain that it will be sold at that price. That is the dead horse you kept beating.

I'm eager to see how improving the pacing improves the game. Lots of things quickening the pace:

- Swift Sail: A 50% increase in sailing speed, and the ability to sail at full speed in any direction without changing the wind

- Obtain five Triforce pieces directly; only translate maps and dredge for three

That's off the top of my head. So once you've done the first dungeon and acquired the Swift Sail from the Auction House on Windfall, you're traveling to every island 50 percent faster, never stopping to change direction -- you just hop in the boat and go... and the Triforce quest at the end should take only a fraction of the time... and you'll rarely waste time fiddling with your inventory or baton, since dedicated buttons and touch make it all so quick and convenient.

So you'll be quicker getting to dungeons, to puzzles, to combat, to treasure. Add to this the improved photo support, with more picture slots and selfies and Miiverse support, and the bottles washing up on shores with messages from other players, and the whole world feels more personal, more alive.

Add to this the rebalanced Hero Mode, available from the start, which should freshen things a tad, with a bit more incentive to play smart. And then there's seeing the game again in crisp 1080p, new shaders and textures, new lighting and shadows, widescreen, a recalibrated HUD, some slightly rearranged music... Should be nice.

Dunno man, should be free and come with a boat.

Toparaman

Banned

Skyward Sword wasn't fully orchestrated. Hell, it wasn't even mostly orchestrated. There were a handful of orchestrated tracks, most of them being used sparingly.

It would've been wonderful to have a fully orchestrated Wind Waker, but oh well.

Also, $60 is nutters. The original was $50, and they had to build that one from the ground up. Why is an HD remake $60???

RagnarokX

Plus Hero Mode finally gives us possibly a reason to craft potions. Unless they changed the cost, blue potions will still be too cheap and easy to get at 4 boko baba seeds per bottle from Forest Haven. I don't think I ever even went into the potion shop on Windfall Island when I played the game long ago.

You entirely missed the point.

You started off by going on about evidence suggesting the $60 when right above your post we got confirmation from gamexplain that it will be sold at that price. That is the dead horse you kept beating.

Wait, what? We've got confirmation that the game is full-price so we shouldn't talk about that anymore? If anything that should give any discerning consumer reason to criticise this shit some more.

Edit:
Skyward Sword wasn't fully orchestrated. Hell, it wasn't even mostly orchestrated. There were a handful of orchestrated tracks, most of them being used sparingly.

It would've been wonderful to have a fully orchestrated Wind Waker, but oh well.

Also, $60 is nutters. The original was $50, and they had to build that one from the ground up. Why is an HD remake $60???

My point is that they managed to make even the orchestrated tracks dynamic and using live instruments as an excuse for the recycled music is BS.

Toparaman

Banned
My point is that they managed to make even the orchestrated tracks dynamic and using live instruments as an excuse for the recycled music is BS.

Sorry, I misread what you said. Yeah, I totally agree. Thankfully, the quality of the music synthesizer used by Wind Waker is pretty good, from what I remember, and does a decent job of emulating live instruments.

Wait, what? We've got confirmation that the game is full-price so we shouldn't talk about that anymore? If anything that should give any discerning consumer reason to criticise this shit some more.
While i wouldn't use the word "shit" near this game, yea 60 is a bit too much for what it is. Not quite a remake but not a straight HD port either due to some tweaks. It would have been nice for them to delay the game and add the missing content. Or support Wii Remote combat at the least, but not even like that, too high of a price. XD

You still don't get it. I give up. Keep raging.

What's there to get? It's full-priced. It does not meet my standards for a full-priced game in 2013. You gonna take your fingers out of your ears stop shouting "la la can't hear you"?

Edit:
While i wouldn't use the word "shit" near this game, yea 60 is a bit too much for what it is. Not quite a remake but not a straight HD port either due to some tweaks. It would have been nice for them to delay the game and add the missing content. Or support Wii Remote combat at the least, but not even like that, too high of a price. XD
Don't get me wrong, I've lost count of how many times I played through Wind Waker. But $60 for this effort? It's doesn't get much more money-grubbing-y than that.

What's there to get? It's full-priced. It does not meet my standards for a full-priced game in 2013. You gonna take your fingers out of your ears stop shouting "la la can't hear you"?

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, I've lost count of how many times I played through Wind Waker. But $60 for this effort? It's doesn't get much more money-grubbing-y than that.
However we need to take into consideration that there's a small strategy surrounding this title and the Wii U value proposition. Since the Wind Waker has already paid for it's development it constitutes for Nintendo a good pack in game. The 60 price tag for the game makes the 350 Wii U look like a less appaling proposition. Icing of the cake are the Nintendo faithful desperate for any good Wii U games. Either way Nintendo goes back laughing to the bank XD

Some weeks ago i was talking about the possibility of a WW HD bundle in a sales thread and behold Nintendo had planned it all along.

D-e-f-

Banned

Edit:

The thing to "get" is that I wasn't even arguing that pricing this at $60 is a good idea. So you restating your dislike of that at me was entirely beside the point.

I am so tempted for that hero mode.
Any difficulty improvement is welcomed but it is not like it'll magically make the game something challenging. This game was like the precursor to the one button to win combat in games like Assassins Creed, as long as that counter is pressed win is guaranteed.

D-e-f-

Banned
Any difficulty improvement is welcomed but it is not like it'll magically make the game something challenging. This game was like the precursor to the one button to win combat in games like Assassins Creed, as long as that counter is pressed win is guaranteed.

Random sidenote: the counter mechanic is seriously the best implementation of that that I've seen. Visual cue, audio cue and rumble cue. No silly "sparks above enemy's head" or sth like that.

Random sidenote: the counter mechanic is seriously the best implementation of that that I've seen. Visual cue, audio cue and rumble cue. No silly "sparks above enemy's head" or sth like that.
Agreed, i like subtle stuff like that. But then, is kind of contradictory that Nintendo proceeds to hit you in the head with dozens of UI cues everywhere else. Like you target something an it had a big arrow hovering over it. Or what about the all those icons filing the screen with every posible status of the game, like the player has some sort of fish memory.

Nintendo has a long way to learn good UI design, specially in Zelda games. Skyward was atrocious even with the "minimalistic"one.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nintendo has a long way to learn good UI design, specially in Zelda games. Skyward was atrocious even with the "minimalistic"one.

Oh god, don't remind me. It was so infuriating that you had to wait until a certain point after the tutorial stuff to be able to turn that down to the "UI for not-complete-idiots."

Oh god, don't remind me. It was so infuriating that you had to wait until a certain point after the tutorial stuff to be able to turn that down to the "UI for not-complete-idiots."
Even better Nintendo could keep their bad UI design vices and just follow my 1 simple suggestion:

Let the player change the transparency values of the UI elements.

After that if they want to clutter the screens to the point that a multiplayer match of COD looks like minimalist art, then by all means knock themselves out XD

D-e-f-

Banned
Even better Nintendo could keep their bad UI design vices and just follow my 1 simple suggestion:

Let the player change the transparency values of the UI elements.

After that if they want to clutter the screens to the point that a multiplayer match of COD looks like minimalist art, then by all means knock themselves out XD

Yes that is one thing they desperately need to learn: give players OPTIONS!

I'm still going crazy when I can't change the volume of music/fx/voices separately in mario kart for example. Options for "I have played video games before"-modes that reduce UI clutter and turn off overly intrusive hint systems or tutorials should've taken priority in their design over "Super Guides" ...

Game will play so comforably with the pro controller.

Going into Hero mode right away. Should help make this run through the game refreshing enough.

why use the pro controller and lose the improved inventory/UI?
Well he still retains the asigned dpad items which helps quite a lot. Infact now that you speak about it i don't see much benefit for the touch screen inventory.

It would also be nice if hero mode could be mirrored.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well he still retains the asigned dpad items which helps quite a lot. Infact now that you speak about it i don't see much benefit for the touch screen inventory.

It would also be nice if hero mode could be mirrored.

Benefits of the gamepad screen:
  • touch controlled wind waker
  • drag-and-drop inventory
  • instant-inventory
  • instant-map during sailing letting you always see where you're going
  • gyro-aiming for ranged weapons/items
  • better miiverse access

Benefits of the gamepad screen:

• [*]touch controlled wind waker
    [*]drag-and-drop inventory
    [*]instant-inventory
    [*]instant-map during sailing letting you always see where you're going
    [*]gyro-aiming for ranged weapons/items
  • better miiverse access
The bolded are not large improvements. The most important thing is for the Wind Waker item is to have ever present acces for it, that's adressed with the Dpad. Gyro aiming as its done with the gamepad doesnt add much to the game since it doesnt require precise aiming, now Wii Remote aiming could add something due to quickness.

I was kind of getting at the inventory thing also, Nintendo could do a better job with item management withouth needing the touch screen anyways. They could map most of the frequently used items to the face buttons, reducing the need of item swapping significantly.

Yes, Miiverse access is more convenient with the Gamepad no doubt. Specially for typing messages.
this FP mode sounds good to me.
There's no FP mode per se, or at least i think. What they are refering is that you retain movement while aiming in first person like in Skyward. Not that you can play the entire adventure in 1st person like an Elder Scrolls game for example.

D-e-f-

Banned
The bolded are not large improvements. The most important thing is for the Wind Waker item is to have ever present acces for it, that's adressed with the Dpad. Gyro aiming as its done with the gamepad doesnt add much to the game since it doesnt require precise aiming, now Wii Remote aiming could add something due to quickness.

I was kind of getting at the inventory thing also, Nintendo could do a better job with item management withouth needing the touch screen anyways. They could map most of the frequently used items to the face buttons, reducing the need of item swapping significantly.

Strongly disagree on the gyro-part. Gyro aiming in OoT 3D was amazing! All games with zoomed-in aiming modes should have gyro+stick options! The precision gained is incredible which is why it's a bummer Revelaitons HD is missing the feature on Wii U from the 3DS original.

Keeping track of the sea chart without having to pause also seems incredibly useful but maybe you can still use that Pikmin 3 style with the stand just to your side while you're playing with the Pro Controller.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Hero mode available from start.

God I wish Nintendo would make a Zelda spinoff that is a Binding of Isaac / Spelunky - like.

Top Bottom