• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You ever feel like you are helplessly watching the industry turn to shit?

Tain

To each their own.

Blanket assertions won't change the fact that mobile is the closest thing we've got to the good old days of simple but addictive bite-sized arcade experiences centered around twitch game mechanics.

The disconnect here is probably that a lot of arcade game enthusiasts don't see them as "bite-sized experiences centered around twitch game mechanics", and many don't even think that the days of arcade gaming ever went away.

I don't dismiss mobile gaming. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the platform from a hardware perspective (as in, it's not significantly more or less flawed than any console or handheld), and any game-ruining monetization schemes should be judged on a game-by-game basis, but I wouldn't suggest that mobile is where the best modern arcade-design games are. Not to the dudes that tear Daytona USA inside out, the dudes that single-credit clear 2D shooters and belt-scrollers, the dudes that play fighting games competitively, the dudes that AAA the hardest songs in IIDX.

Top Bottom