• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Linius

In battle, your three youkai in front actively fight and for the most part control their own actions apart from their special attacks (though you can teach how they act in battle by letting them read various books). You can spin the wheel (in real time) on the bottom to move your team to switch them out. Placement of your youkai is important since you can't just drag and drop them where ever on the wheel in battle, only rotate.

It probably sounds more complicated than it is whern you're actually doing it. Are there any off screen videos that show battles maybe?

Also, since this is a general thread. How's the anime? I'm not much of an anime watcher (not at all really) but for this game I wouldn't mind getting into some of it's lore before I get the game. Which will hopefully be some time in 2015 for Europe...

Meffer

It probably sounds more complicated than it is whern you're actually doing it. Are there any off screen videos that show battles maybe?

Also, since this is a general thread. How's the anime? I'm not much of an anime watcher (not at all really) but for this game I wouldn't mind getting into some of it's lore before I get the game. Which will hopefully be some time in 2015 for Europe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2QHTOp4io0 Here you go!
As for the show, I say it's pretty good and certainly funny. See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGeBzIZ_UE

Impotaku

Made it to the lucky station, i nipped into one of the train stations and by a freak stroke of luck it was the exact time the golden express train was pulling into the station due to the low chance of encountering it at any station i ran full out to the doors before it left.

On the platform there is really only 2 things to do you can fight the light version of orochi with the slim hope of him joining your team, or better is you can talk to the fancy looking tsuchinoko next to the daikichi (big fortune) gashapon machine to get a free coin to use in it. This machine is full of nothing but gold capsules meaning you only get S rank youkai from it and wouldn't you know out of all the ones i could have possibly got i got yet another dark orochi so now that makes three of the damn things i have lol. Still it was nice to see the station i took pics as i don't know if i'll make it back there many times.

IMG_0443%20res.jpg

IMG_0444%20res.jpg

IMG_0445%20res.jpg

Meffer

I finally beat the story at around 28 hours! This is the team I used:
A9yc3kM.jpg

I beat the old hag in all her forms the first time around so I'm quite proud of that. In all honesty, her battle before her final form was harder and took longer in my opinion since she keeps summoning enemies at her side slowing down the battle. But regardless I had a blast with this game and I see no signs of really stopping any time soon. I still have post game and quests I didn't finish or found, among all the other stuff I can do like collecting youkai and finding all the secrets.
This game just gives and gives and I totally see this series catching on here as I said before. Level5 really hit a homerun with this. Just a wonderful franchise in general.

Impotaku

That's a nice team you have there, congrats on beating it. Yeah after the main game has ended that's only the beginning as there is a lot of post game content to play through it really does keep on giving. My recommendation would be to goto the watchmaker and take his S rank watch upgrade quest next as that will be available to you now, once you have that you'll be able to get into a few more new places.

Currently still boss grinding here dondoro in the infinite hell dungeon and the 7 bosses in the interlock dungeon give obscene amounts of exp when defeated i can level up several times in one run of them both i'm now lv90 thanks to that. The interlock dungeon gives quite a lot of stuff if you link all versions together well worth doing.

nekobi

20150110_122541.jpg

My order of Youkai Watch books just arrived! :D I have to say, this series is great for improving my Japanese. It's easy enough for me to understand at my current level without getting frustrated. Also, it's just plain fun to to see all the Youkai and what kinds of things they do or trouble they cause. ^-^

I'm starting to want to collect the medals and I fear that will be horribly expensive. I see chapter 2 & 3 boxes are going for an insane price already. Anyone know if they actively re-print more or were they released once and that was it? I was kinda bummed that the medals in the Nov Corocoro you had to send away for. I didn't realize that when I bought it so it was kind of a waste as it looks to be expired. >.<;

Also, I finally made it to chapter 3 of Honke (haven't had much time to play). I was super happy to get Baku, haha. For some reason I just think he's cute. :p

I've used the gashapon machine every day for the past 3 days and I *still* have yet to see a Youkai come out of it... I'm starting to think I'm either super unlucky or I'm doing something wrong. I've been using the coins you get from scanning QR codes. Maybe today is the day, haha!

ubiblu

That's a nice team you have there, congrats on beating it. Yeah after the main game has ended that's only the beginning as there is a lot of post game content to play through it really does keep on giving. My recommendation would be to goto the watchmaker and take his S rank watch upgrade quest next as that will be available to you now, once you have that you'll be able to get into a few more new places.

Currently still boss grinding here dondoro in the infinite hell dungeon and the 7 bosses in the interlock dungeon give obscene amounts of exp when defeated i can level up several times in one run of them both i'm now lv90 thanks to that. The interlock dungeon gives quite a lot of stuff if you link all versions together well worth doing.

7 bosses in the interlock dungeon?? I can only access 3 with Honke/ Shinuchi? Do you mean the place that opens up after Infinite Hell?

Impotaku

20150110_122541.jpg

My order of Youkai Watch books just arrived! :D I have to say, this series is great for improving my Japanese. It's easy enough for me to understand at my current level without getting frustrated. Also, it's just plain fun to to see all the Youkai and what kinds of things they do or trouble they cause. ^-^

I'm starting to want to collect the medals and I fear that will be horribly expensive. I see chapter 2 & 3 boxes are going for an insane price already. Anyone know if they actively re-print more or were they released once and that was it? I was kinda bummed that the medals in the Nov Corocoro you had to send away for. I didn't realize that when I bought it so it was kind of a waste as it looks to be expired. >.<;

Also, I finally made it to chapter 3 of Honke (haven't had much time to play). I was super happy to get Baku, haha. For some reason I just think he's cute. :p

I've used the gashapon machine every day for the past 3 days and I *still* have yet to see a Youkai come out of it... I'm starting to think I'm either super unlucky or I'm doing something wrong. I've been using the coins you get from scanning QR codes. Maybe today is the day, haha!

That's a great selection of books you have there nice choice, yeah the coro coro medal set was a bit of an annoyance the vol 2 of the marugoto tomodachi fanbook used the same ploy which made them harder to get. So far the only medal set that has been reissued is the first one and they added some holo upgrades in there to make a few diffeent to the original set. They may reprint more but so far they haven't bothered they keep getting released at an alarming rate i'm now quite far behind with them but i still have my master list to keep track.

As for the gashapon machine it's just down to luck, if you keep putting medals in you will eventually get some good things. It's not random though, each time you start a new game save the game will predetermine what order the gashapon machine will give you stuff and it can't be changed by resetting you'll always get the same item no matter how many times you soft reset. If you need more coins make sure to keep going to the koyagi post office each week to get free coins from the internet download option.

7 bosses in the interlock dungeon?? I can only access 3 with Honke/ Shinuchi? Do you mean the place that opens up after Infinite Hell?

Yes there are 7 bosses, in total there are 4 keys for the interlock dungeon. The first you get by linking to another YW game. The other ones you get by linking the other versions together. If you have shinuchi then you need to link with ganso & honke to get all the keys. The same for any version you have you will need the other versions, some will hate it but it's a great reward for owning them all.

In the interlock dungeon there are

Red oni
Black Oni
Blue oni
Gashadoro G (gold skeleton)
Gyamandokuro (diamond skeleton)
Omotenasu (a 4 armed boss holding flasks of light)
Obisusama (a red version of the typhoon boss)

It's really recommended that you get the dungeon totally unlocked as beating all the non oni bosses will reward you with special gashapon coins to use in the machine that appears after a boss. Depending on coin type the boss gives you these machines will give out various rare youkai including the jewel nyans from the first game.

The amida paradise dungeon has a separate set of bosses i have only tackled the first few i stopped at kin & gin as they are a pain to battle.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Can anyone explain to me what the gameplay is like, exactly? I mean, mechanics-wise. And how's the combat? How deep is it? How does it compare to Pokémon?

Are there any good videos online that showcase the mechanics, preferably with an explanation?

Meffer

Can anyone explain to me what the gameplay is like, exactly? I mean, mechanics-wise. And how's the combat? How deep is it? How does it compare to Pokémon?

Are there any good videos online that showcase the mechanics, preferably with an explanation?

I think this is the best video to showcase what you're asking for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWD0hYA69pg

As for the combat, for the most part in the story it's fairly easy, it's near the end and post game, along with online battles it can get pretty damn intense. Planning and postioning your team is incredibly important. While in battle, timing is also important.

Youkai for the most part act independently targeting who to attack on their own unless you tell them otherwise. You can use books on your youkai to get them to act how you want them to in battle. Like if you want your youkai to do physical attacks more often instead of force attacks (spells); use a book that teaches them to do that.

Special attacks are commands you can give them. And while they're pretty powerful or do great healing or stat boosts and can end a battle around the beginning of the game, as you go further in they won't end battles upfront anymore but they certainly can turn the tide of the battle.

When you command a youkai to do a special attack, you have to complete a quick minigame to fill up the gauge and once it's filled the youkai will use it on it's next turn.

When a youkai is afficted with a status effect you have to rotate it to the back and cure it with a quick minigame, once you cure it you'll gain extra exp at the end of the battle.

When you use an item in battle, you can't access the item menu for a short time so make it count!

When I mentioned before you can tell your youkai which enemy to attack, this is done by pinning. In some boss battles if you pin certain things at certain times, you can expose their weakpoints or make them open for attacks so go all out at those times!

Youkai that heal can only heal others that are in the front while it's also in the front. Not the back.

Oh forgot one more thing! Youkai have passive abilities that take effect when certain conditions are met. For example: Jibanyan has an ability where if he defeats an enemy, his attack stat well get a boost and it stacks.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Superb, that video was good stuff. Thanks a lot for that.

I want to know more about this, but there's a surprising lack of English info on the mechanics. Oh well, let's see if his Let's Play videos can bring me up to speed.

So I bought Shin Uchi yesterday on a whim and I'm enjoying the game so far, charming as fuck.

Some questions:
Is catching bugs supposed to be kind of random? Because sometimes the marker just stops at random places on the wheel.

Where is that Youkai that hides in a tree, it's one of the first Youkai sightings that is listed in the Youkai Spot app but I can't find it.

Successfully befriending Youkai is based on random luck or what? Even when they like the food ( what's the max likability of a specific kind of food anyway? I've seen one and two hearts pop up) they barely ever join. I can only get them to join if there are two or three of the same type in battle.

Impotaku

Yeah bug catching is tricky it's part luck but if you get the timing just right it's possible to influence the wheel. I have watched the wheel closely and i can get it in the rough area but never exactly on the one i want making getting rare bugs really hard you can however make more spaces appear to land on by using kuromitsu which you find all over the place just press the y button while on the capture roulette screen.

If you read back further in the thread on the first page i think, i posted how to get a special item called a mote mote soul if you equip a youkai with one it's friendship ability will increase. But some youkai have the ability naturally like motemoten & kyuntaro. If you can get those youkai in your team it will increase your chances of befriending and if you can make the mote mote souls and equip those on you stand an even better chance. Some people make teams totally of kyuntaro and motemoten so they can go hunting for youkai they want, even if you feed them the right food and make sure it's the highest quality of that food type it's still got some luck tied to it. You can literally do everying possible & still get rejected. For working out the highest quality food if you go to a shop like the butchers you will see some meat is really expensive usually the most expensive food items are the ones that are classed as high quality, that's is the rough guide i use for grading the food quality, higher price better quality.

More hunting in the interlock dungeon again today had a geat haul of youkai. I managed to get hold of a lot of new youkai including shirokabe, higurashimaru, hyouhenna also 2 of the houseki nyans got safainyan & rubynyan which i'm happy about as i wanted them for ages. Before the interlock dungeons extra keys the only way to get the houseki nyans was in the first game and they were once a day battles this time around they only drop from the gashapon machines that appear after a boss.

Hoping to assemble a full team of jewels. Well hello there rubynyan welcome to my team :)
IMG_0454%20res.jpg

Impotaku

Nope there is no way to cheat the gashapon machines the order is already determined when you start your game for the first time. Just keep feeding them coins they will eventually give you good stuff.

Meffer

Nope there is no way to cheat the gashapon machines the order is already determined when you start your game for the first time. Just keep feeding them coins they will eventually give you good stuff.
Yeah I think the RNG works in a way that will get rare and even legend Youkai for you at some point or another.

Wanchan

So to open the dungeon some are talking about, i need to link my versions. I went from Youkai Watch -> Youkai Watch 2 Honke (new save since you can't transfer from 1 i guess, at least i didn't find how..) -> Shinuchi (save transfered from Honke 2.0 ver. ) that i just finished days ago. I also have Ganso that i bought at the same time as Honke, can someone direct me as to how i can get the key?

Do i need a second 3DS to link both games??? if yes, that's super silly, i only have 1 Japanese 3DS...i can't afford a second one. I think i have to find someone with Ganso then but i'm not even sure how the linking process will work since i'm on ShinUchi now....

ubiblu

I'm having a really bad run of luck lately. My first three days of going to the Lucky Station have given me items only, nothing decent from either Gasha's in over a week, and struggling with obtaining a single 'one a day' youkai. RNGesus, testudattekure!

Impotaku

So to open the infinite dungeon some are talking about, i need to link my versions. I went from Youkai Watch -> Youkai Watch 2 Honke (new save since you can't transfer from 1 i guess, at least i didn't find how..) -> Shinuchi (save transfered from Honke 2.0 ver. ) that i just finished days ago. I also have Ganso that i bought at the same time as Honke, can someone direct me as to how i can get the key?

Do i need a second 3DS to link both games??? if yes, that's super silly, i only have 1 Japanese 3DS...i can't afford a second one. I think i have to find someone with Ganso then but i'm not even sure how the linking process will work since i'm on ShinUchi now....

Firstly no you don't need a second 3DS the game has the option to do the link using one machine, i'll explain how it all works as the link function isn't exactly straightforward.

You need to have completed the main game and seen the ending or you can't go any further as the interlock dungeon is post game only.

Since they added the link function in the latest patch data make sure you have all versions of your game patched. Right for example say you are playing shinuchi and you want to link with ganso so that you get the extra keys in shinuchi. You need to put your copy of ganso in (or boot up digital version) then goto main menu and if the patch data is on there under the new game & continue options there will be 2 more options it's the very bottom option you want (youkai watch 2 rendo) select this option and then it will ask you if you will link alone or with someone, select the top option which is alone.

What the game will do now is make a ganso link data addition to the special file the game uses thats stored on your sd card for all versions. It will ask you if you want to save to your sd card, select left option (yes) Now if you look on the top screen there is a little image showing you where to go for the dungeon.

Turn off ganso as you no longer need that game to do the next bit, you have 2 hours to do the link before the link data expires you can always repeat the process though if it does expire. Now put shinuchi back in and continue your game. If you go from igisaki station down the path as if you were going into the seaside town on the right hand side before that is a path that leads to a rundown looking shed and there should be a man standing nearby if you talk to him he will look in your 3DS and check the data file you made using ganso if you did it all correctly he will give you the silver key with the infinity symbol on that unlocks the dungeon and he should give you either one or several gold keys, the gold keys unlock the extra doors inside the dungeon.

Thats how you link, just repeat the process for the other games. If you want to link honke with shinuchi load up your honke game and do the same steps to save a honke link addition to the data on your sd card then put shinuchi back in and go talk to the man.

There is one other link mode from the first game to the second. At the omamori shrine if you head down the steps as if you were heading towards the gashapon machine at the tree, before then in the right hand corner of that immediate area looking out of ther the hill will be the same odd man, if you talk to him he will give you a special coin if you can show him a photograph. Talk to him first and then save your game. Now what he wants to see is a photograph of you so if you turn off your game and load up the first YW game and goto the mystery lens function on the main menu (you need to unlock this by playing the main story if you can't see it) use the mystery lens and take a pic of yourself and save it to your sd card, now load up your copy of YW2 and go back to the man he will check your sd card and look at the photo he will then give you the selection coin.

This coin when used will give you a special version of komasan, tsuchinoko or buchinyan you can select which one you want when you use the coin but you can only choose one. As with the link data it will expire after 2 hours so if you took too long just load up the first game and take a fresh picture and save it to your sd card.

And that's pretty much it :)

Impotaku

Good to hear it worked ok, you can do the same with each game so all your games have all the keys, with 3 interlock dungeons to play in it increases your odds of getting something great from the gashapon machines. I tend to grind all the dungeons in each version then use the medal trade function with my spare 3DS to trade the stuff i want to keep into my copy of shinuchi.

There's one more secret in the interlock dungeon there is an item that if you find unlocks another youkai you can recruit. When you get to the floor halfway in the dungeon where there is a save point & a warp mirror there will be 3 doors, these are the ones that the gold keys unlock. The middle door takes you to the diamond skeleton boss but on the way to the boss hidden in one of the yellow chests is a item, if you are playing as a boy it will look like a red badge of a letter G if you are playing as a girl it will look like a blue war medal. It is in one of the chests in the random enviroment areas just before you get to the boss. Once obtained go to your grandmothers house in kemamoto and explore the grave to the upper right of your grandmothers house you might find something interesting.

There are 2 versions to battle if you play as a boy you will see one version if you play as a girl you'll see the other. However they won't appear unless you found the item in the dungeon first.

Wanchan

Good to hear it worked ok, you can do the same with each game so all your games have all the keys, with 3 interlock dungeons to play in it increases your odds of getting something great from the gashapon machines. I tend to grind all the dungeons in each version then use the medal trade function with my spare 3DS to trade the stuff i want to keep into my copy of shinuchi.

But how does it work for your save file? I know how to do the switch from Honke -> ShinUchi but can you do the switch again from ShinUchi -> Honke / Ganso ? The save menus are so confusing....

There's one more secret in the interlock dungeon there is an item that if you find unlocks another youkai you can recruit. When you get to the floor halfway in the dungeon where there is a save point & a warp mirror there will be 3 doors, these are the ones that the gold keys unlock. The middle door takes you to the diamond skeleton boss but on the way to the boss hidden in one of the yellow chests is a item, if you are playing as a boy it will look like a red badge of a letter G if you are playing as a girl it will look like a blue war medal. It is in one of the chests in the random enviroment areas just before you get to the boss. Once obtained go to your grandmothers house in kemamoto and explore the grave to the upper right of your grandmothers house you might find something interesting.

There are 2 versions to battle if you play as a boy you will see one version if you play as a girl you'll see the other. However they won't appear unless you found the item in the dungeon first.

I play as the boy but i don't think my team is strong enough yet to go to the middle door, the youkai before the door tells me it's a 70+ area..but thanks i might try later to get that G red badge item :)

There's still so much things to do in the game !!

Impotaku

But how does it work for your save file? I know how to do the switch from Honke -> ShinUchi but can you do the switch again from ShinUchi -> Honke / Ganso ? The save menus are so confusing....

I play as the boy but i don't think my team is strong enough yet to go to the middle door, the youkai before the door tells me it's a 70+ area..but thanks i might try later to get that G red badge item :)

There's still so much things to do in the game !!

The save transfer is a separate thing to the interlock dungeon linking, they give you the option to transfer your save to shinuchi so you didn't have to start right from the beginning to access all the new content in shinuchi as most requires you to be pretty high level to start the quests, the save transfer can only be done once per save slot. Once transferred you cant move that save back to the game it came from. When you do the save transfer it still keeps your save in the game you transferred from so you lose nothing but it makes it so you can no longer use that save file to do another transfer to shinuchi but you can still play it as normal though in the game it came from.

Now i assume that you now have all the keys in shinuchi for the interlock dungeon but not in honke. So in that case you would put in your copy of shinuchi and select the link option like you did before and write the link data to the sd card then put in your copy of honke and continue your game then go find & talk to the man outside the interlock dungeon.

Just think of it as you put in the game you want to activate the data for then use the link option to save it to the sd card, then you put in the game you want the keys to appear in and talk to the man.

hope that makes sense a bit.

Wanchan

hope that makes sense a bit.

Yes it makes sense but i'll focus on ShinUchi for now i guess, there's so many things i have yet to do that YW3 will probably be out by the time i complete everything in ShinUchi :) I appreciate your help/explanation, thanks again!

Impotaku

Hope it will be a while before the next game i want enough time to explore every part of shinuchi, if they put this much effort into shinuchi imagine what the next full game will bring.

Not sure where the story would go but adding new areas will be easy as the world it's set in has open sides you can see roads and train lines leading out so they could just add on new cities and locations. Maybe even using an airport to take you to the other side of Japan.

So I got Youkai Watch 2 Shin Uchi and I'm liking it so far, but I have a question. Story wise, the protagonist is new to the whole Youkai thing. Does the story not carry over from the previous game?

For some reason I assumed it did. Or is it because I don't have save data from the first title that I'm starting from scratch?

On a side note: I'm extremely grateful for the prolific Furigana in the game like in Dragon Quest and Pokemon. Been looking forward to the game for a while it's making understanding it a lot easier (my knowledge of Kanji is limited to about 600 characters so far).

Impotaku

The story form the first game is kind of self contained mainly around Keita first discovering the youkai world and meeting jibanyan for the first time along with other youkai. The second game follows on from it but it's not essential for playing the 2nd game at all. In the second game kin & gin (plus dou in shinuchi) erase Keita's memory and the existance of the watch, it's done so the game can teach new players who haven't played the first game how it all works.

Slowly things start triggering Keita's memory of things that he already did in the first game until his memory is eventually restored by then the tutorial is done, it's kind of a subtle way of doing a tutorial. I liked the story in the 2nd game more, especially the relationship between him and
his younger grandfather when he goes back in time. Also the relationship with how his grandfather became friends with youkai in the first place, it's a really charming & touching story

The story form the first game is kind of self contained mainly around Keita first discovering the youkai world and meeting jibanyan for the first time along with other youkai. The second game follows on from it but it's not essential for playing the 2nd game at all. In the second game kin & gin (plus dou in shinuchi) erase Keita's memory and the existance of the watch, it's done so the game can teach new players who haven't played the first game how it all works.

Slowly things start triggering Keita's memory of things that he already did in the first game until his memory is eventually restored by then the tutorial is done, it's kind of a subtle way of doing a tutorial. I liked the story in the 2nd game more, especially the relationship between him and
his younger grandfather when he goes back in time. Also the relationship with how his grandfather became friends with youkai in the first place, it's a really charming & touching story

Ah that all makes sense. I was really confused as to why he was randomly remembering things like Whipsa and Jibanyan even though it was as if story was starting all over again from the begin. As far as I could tell, they'd only erased the Watch. Was very confused!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Meffer

Awesome stuff today. Got the box of medals I ordered today and got some rare medals like Masamune and Dark Fubuukihimi amoung others. and that one dark priest dog with the heart shaped ears, his name escapes me. Still waiting for my watch though.
As for Shinuchi, I got Dark Orochi in the gashapon with a five star coin. Lucky day, it's just a fantastic feeling when the stars align in your favor with this!

Impotaku

After what feels like forever my team is now at level 99, some still need their special attack stats raising using the books but are pretty much maxed out for everything, still one problem even at level 99 that damn black oni destroys me with not much effort. Hell even the blue one puts up a good fight, might need to rethink my team to make it stronger by selecting different youkai.

The ultimate insult came today, after beating the diamond skeleton boss in the interlock dungeon my efforts were rewarded with a medium exp ball. Talk about feeling cheap, better reward me with a diyanyan or emerunyan tomorrow to make up of it or so help me lol.

I see that there maybe some spoilers in this thread so I only read the first few post.

I'm currently watching a 38 minute Japanese demo of this on YouTube and it's definitly a game I'm picking up once it gets released state side. Just a few questions to those who played this.

I noticed that they're mini games during battles; do Youkai's only learn one attack and do we get to chose the attack?

Do youkai's evovle?

In the demo the person finds these "wild" youkai's and seems to just defeat them; can you recruit them instead?

Do we battle other youkai watch "users"?

Do we battle other players threw online battles?

Are we able to disable that mini game during battle and use buttons instead?

Does the anime spoil the game story or does the anime share the same relationship to the game like the Pokemon anime to its games?

My mind just went blank. I reserve the right for future questions.

Impotaku

I noticed that they're mini games during battles; do Youkai's only learn one attack and do we get to chose the attack?
They have 3 attacks and one special attack, the only attack you can choose yourself is the special attack.

Do youkai's evovle?
Yes, some evolve at a certain level and others only evolve if you fuse them with either a special item or another youkai

In the demo the person finds these "wild" youkai's and seems to just defeat them; can you recruit them instead?
If you are able to give it food the it can be made friends with, however it's down to luck weither it want's to be your friend. Even if you give the youkai it's favourite food it can still ignore been friends.

In the game game story no you don't, only Keita & Fumie have a youkai watch. It's not like pokemon with other trainers. You can however battle other players online via the battle menu & play the multiplayer youkai busters game.

As above, yes you can

Nope you have to use the touch screen when dispelling been cursed or using a special attack but you can use the buttons to control the wheel and options when in a battle.

Does the anime spoil the game story or does the anime share the same relationship to the game like the Pokemon anime to its games?
The anime doesn't really follow the game story too much but there are elements that both share. The anime gives the youkai more personality and story behind them, you appreciate the game more if you watch the anime, there are lots of little back stories in the anime plus it's pretty funny as well.

They have 3 attacks and one special attack, the only attack you can choose yourself is the special attack.

Do youkai's evovle?
Yes, some evolve at a certain level and others only evolve if you fuse them with either a special item or another youkai

If you are able to give it food the it can be made friends with, however it's down to luck weither it want's to be your friend. Even if you give the youkai it's favourite food it can still ignore been friends.

In the game game story no you don't, only Keita & Fumie have a youkai watch. It's not like pokemon with other trainers. You can however battle other players online via the battle menu & play the multiplayer youkai busters game.

As above, yes you can

Nope you have to use the touch screen when dispelling been cursed or using a special attack but you can use the buttons to control the wheel and options when in a battle.

The anime doesn't really follow the game story too much but there are elements that both share. The anime gives the youkai more personality and story behind them, you appreciate the game more if you watch the anime, there are lots of little back stories in the anime plus it's pretty funny as well.

Wow, thanks for answering my questions! Definitly day one err.. zero(?) For me!

Please for give my wording in describing what I mean but it's tough trying to get what I mean threw on the internet.

Alot of people keep comparing the Youkai Watch series to Pokémon because of the whole catching monster thing but from the little I've read, seen, and from what you've told me this game has almost nothing in common with Pokemon. Am I correct for thinking this?

Also, is there a good bit of mid-bosses and boss fights in this game?

Impotaku

The only similarity i can think of that it shares with pokemon is that you both have a team of monsters that can battle and level up. The both games do things in a different way, youkai watch is more around exploration & questing. Pokemon is more around battling with deep & complex meta battling system for competitive battling although there are quests in that too.

Youkai watch is a lot simpler in that respect the battle system is pretty simple but there is still some strategy to how you level up your team, it makes up for it in other ways by having beautifully detailled enviroments that are packed full of secrets & hidden stuff to keep you occupied.

There are a decent amount of bosses in the main story, but then there is a lot of post game content. Another dungeon unlocks after the main story is complete that has many floors and you get to battle all the alternate versions of the games bosses along with some extra ones until you reach an extremely tough super boss at the end. So far i have reached 9 bosses so far in it and i'm sure there are a few more.

Also if you have the other games you can link the data together and get another special dungeon that has 7 more bosses. If you have all 3 versions of the 2nd game it rewards you pretty good for it. Depending on if you play as Keita or Fumie the story subtly changes to reflect the character you are playing as they live in different houses and the way people talk to them changes too.

Along with all those there are new quests that unlock after the main game is done and special youkai to find that appear by scanning QR codes off the medals, once a day you can attempt to make friends with all these extra youkai. This is before you even go into the other stuff like the hotel that collects other players streetpass youkai teams for you to battle. Or the multiplayer game where you all select a youkai then try and take down one of the bosses wandering about the level you are placed in, or even just connecting randomly online to do pit your team against a stranger.

There is also a battle tower kind of place at the sports club. Lets just say between all version i own i must have easily clocked up several hundred hours of playtime.

The only similarity i can think of that it shares with pokemon is that you both have a team of monsters that can battle and level up. The both games do things in a different way, youkai watch is more around exploration & questing. Pokemon is more around battling with deep & complex meta battling system for competitive battling although there are quests in that too.

Youkai watch is a lot simpler in that respect the battle system is pretty simple but there is still some strategy to how you level up your team, it makes up for it in other ways by having beautifully detailled enviroments that are packed full of secrets & hidden stuff to keep you occupied.

There are a decent amount of bosses in the main story, but then there is a lot of post game content. Another dungeon unlocks after the main story is complete that has many floors and you get to battle all the alternate versions of the games bosses along with some extra ones until you reach an extremely tough super boss at the end. So far i have reached 9 bosses so far in it and i'm sure there are a few more.

Also if you have the other games you can link the data together and get another special dungeon that has 7 more bosses. If you have all 3 versions of the 2nd game it rewards you pretty good for it. Depending on if you play as Keita or Fumie the story subtly changes to reflect the character you are playing as they live in different houses and the way people talk to them changes too.

Along with all those there are new quests that unlock after the main game is done and special youkai to find that appear by scanning QR codes off the medals, once a day you can attempt to make friends with all these extra youkai. This is before you even go into the other stuff like the hotel that collects other players streetpass youkai teams for you to battle. Or the multiplayer game where you all select a youkai then try and take down one of the bosses wandering about the level you are placed in, or even just connecting randomly online to do pit your team against a stranger.

There is also a battle tower kind of place at the sports club. Lets just say between all version i own i must have easily clocked up several hundred hours of playtime.

God tier level of infomation I needed/wanted. Can't thank you enough. Now the hard part... waiting...

Yasawas

I’m doing an early quest in Shinuchi which I got from the convenience store, I went out to the front of the shop, scanned the area and found a Q sign in a parking space. Of course! I have no idea what it’s expecting me to do with this though, if I investigate it I get a list of three things (I forget what it said but it sounded like it was describing a Youkai maybe?) then presents me with a text entry box which I have no idea what to do with. My best guess is that I’m supposed to be so into Youkai Watch that I enter the name of a Youkai from the description given but I’m going to need help in that case. Anyone know what I’m rambling about?

Dragoshi1

Put in Himoji's name!

For those who import medals, which medal packs are these youkai in?

Fubukihime
Yuki onna
Dondoro
The other Jibanyan poses

Impotaku

I&#8217;m doing an early quest in Shinuchi which I got from the convenience store, I went out to the front of the shop, scanned the area and found a Q sign in a parking space. Of course! I have no idea what it&#8217;s expecting me to do with this though, if I investigate it I get a list of three things (I forget what it said but it sounded like it was describing a Youkai maybe?) then presents me with a text entry box which I have no idea what to do with. My best guess is that I&#8217;m supposed to be so into Youkai Watch that I enter the name of a Youkai from the description given but I&#8217;m going to need help in that case. Anyone know what I&#8217;m rambling about?

Each of the signs requires a youkai to activate them, the 3 things you see on the sign are clues about the youkai it wants, the clues are either hints of its appearance or on it's powers or personality. Like Dragoshi1 said the first youkai sign is after himojii enter &#12402;&#12418;&#12376;&#12356; you probably won't have one yet so goto your house and explore, that should allow you to continue.

For those who import medals, which medal packs are these youkai in?

Fubukihime
Yuki onna
Dondoro
The other Jibanyan poses

The easiest way is to goto the official website

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/products/

The link above lists all the medal booster packs in release order, if you click on the yellow button next to each pack it will show you pics of all the medals in that set, have a look for the ones you want. There are a lot more sets though than just the booster packs, if you want to see every single medal released so far then use this link

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/products/medal_list/

Its a list by name order, if you look at the last colum on the right it will say how the medal was available.

Yasawas

Thanks guys! It was late and I didn't pay attention to what the shopkeeper was saying prior to that so I was worried I'd missed something important. Good info.

Impotaku

There are a lot of these signs hidden around the game world, most unlock extra stuff but there are 4 that you won't be able to complete the game unless you activate them and put the youkai in.

If you want me to tell you the answers and put spoiler tags on them so you can refer back to this thread if you get stuck i'll be happy to give you the info.

Dragoshi1

Each of the signs requires a youkai to activate them, the 3 things you see on the sign are clues about the youkai it wants, the clues are either hints of its appearance or on it's powers or personality. Like Dragoshi1 said the first youkai sign is after himojii enter &#12402;&#12418;&#12376;&#12356; you probably won't have one yet so goto your house and explore, that should allow you to continue.

The easiest way is to goto the official website

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/products/

The link above lists all the medal booster packs in release order, if you click on the yellow button next to each pack it will show you pics of all the medals in that set, have a look for the ones you want. There are a lot more sets though than just the booster packs, if you want to see every single medal released so far then use this link

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/products/medal_list/

Its a list by name order, if you look at the last colum on the right it will say how the medal was available.

Went through, and it seems only Dondoro is easily obtainable in a pack; Yuki Onna is Gashapon exclusive, and Fubukihime I didn't see at all.

Yasawas

There are a lot of these signs hidden around the game world, most unlock extra stuff but there are 4 that you won't be able to complete the game unless you activate them and put the youkai in.

If you want me to tell you the answers and put spoiler tags on them so you can refer back to this thread if you get stuck i'll be happy to give you the info.

That would be handy, I will take you up on that and stick it in a Google Doc never to be opened except in the event of immense frustration.

Top Bottom