• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Impotaku

Went through, and it seems only Dondoro is easily obtainable in a pack; Yuki Onna is Gashapon exclusive, and Fubukihime I didn't see at all.

Had a quick look through yup fubukihime hasn't made it into a medal yet, dondoro also has a second medal as some youkai have their special attacks in medal form, that's what the clear blue ones are.

That would be handy, I will take you up on that and stick it in a Google Doc never to be opened except in the event of immense frustration.

Ok here are the 2 parts in the game where you need to enter the correct youkai to continue your game.

first part: you may get stuck on.
At the point in the main story when you go back in time you will eventually come across the quest where Keizo's youkai friends were turned to stone you have to try and revive them all but the curse is too strong and whispers attempts fail. However back in the present day it will have been 60 years and the curse has weakened enough for whisper to dispel it. As you find and rescue all 6 of the youkai there is one in a cave in the costal village of Igisaki. In this cave are 3 question signs, the youkai they are referring to all are in that cave so you wont have to travel too far to find them to befriend (hint: they like noodles so stock up on cup noodles from the convinience store)

All the 3 youkai needed are the seaweed ones.

The 1st sign is asking for Wakame kun ワカメくん (Number 163 in encyclopedia)
The 2nd sign you come to is Konbu san コ ンブさん (Number 165 in encyclopedia)
The 3rd sign is Mekabu chan メカブちゃん (Number 166 in encyclopedia)

Once the youkai are placed in their spots they will raise & lower the water level when you talk to them allowing you to get to the back of the cave to rescue Ningyou

{edit} Besides Ningyou who is explained above on how to get to her there is a youkai in your grandmothers house called Zashikiwarashi, when revived he will ask you to get something for him. He will give you a riddle on where he hid it, he is referring to outside the house on the right hand side where the fire is to heat the bathtub. If you search here you will find the Menko he hid (menko are like japanese pogs)
second part: you may get stuck on.
At a certain point near the end where all of the town is filled with Kaima and posessed people you will be told to goto a certain place, you are at your house and you won't be able to go far without the game telling you that you need to do the task. You need to goto the community centre, it's just a little bit north from your house across the road from the park. Outside to the left of the community center building is another question sign.

It is asking for the name of the 3 mirror youkai that allows you to travel back in time his name is Ungai sanmenkyou うんがいさんめんきょう (Number 070 in the encyclopedia)

You will be able to travel back in time, make sure you stock up on healing stuff as you are approaching the end part of the game.

Impotaku

Just thought of another part that you may get stuck on as the riddle is not obvious. Will add it to my abve post.

Impotaku

Oh snap, Aka oni kitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Finally he's in my team after fighting daily for like forever.
IMG_0472%20res.jpg

One down 4 to go.

Wanchan

Oh snap, Aka oni kitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Finally he's in my team after fighting daily for like forever.

One down 4 to go.

Grats! I'm still farming the oni trio and dondoro but no luck so far....while i have no issue farming red/blue oni, the black one is a PITA, keeps doing his waza, hits super fast and always crit my healer, always!

In the the same day i got Kyuubi, Dark Kyuubi, Light Orochi, Dark Nyan and the Kaima team, still so many youkai to farm, i have yet to unlock any legendary youkai too...

Impotaku

Heheh it's like youkai watch inception, congrats at getting him. You did outstandingly well to get all those others in one run. I was really pleased today to finally get hikari orochi mainly because it's just so time consuming to get to the lucky platform each time.

The only one i think will be really hard to get is tsuchinoko panda, i'm nearly at 300 streetpass visits to the hotel and he still hasn't shown in the VIP room. Nowdays i dont seem to get many YW streetpasses through my homepass relay.

I have a question about Dondoro, i have the quest active from the guy near the shrine tree entrance at omamori shrine and i keep battling Dondoro which is really easy but nothing happens each time i win. I have watched a few youtube videos online to see how to get him and it seems you need an item. Does this item get dropped by Dondoro or do you get it from somewhere else? as none of the rest of the quest sequence is happening when i go back in time.

Wanchan

Does this item get dropped by Dondoro or do you get it from somewhere else? as none of the rest of the quest sequence is happening when i go back in time.

It's a rare drop from Dondoro (どんどろの素). You only need the quest 災厄の真相 active to be able to get it from Dondoro, but it's still apparently kinda rare.

Impotaku

More stuff to do in second game, i'd start with that as it will keep you more than busy. If you find out that you love it after playing (high probability hehe) you can always pick up the first game to play the other story from the very beginning.

The story in the first & second games are kind of separate but playing the first helps you understand how it all began, but the second game has a tutorial to help bring you up to speed it doesn't punish you for not getting the first game, however there are bonuses for linking the first game to the second via the mystery lens feature.

Shinuchi is the most content filled out of them all. Maybe go for that one & see what you think.

Impotaku

It's a rare drop from Dondoro (どんどろの素). You only need the quest 災厄の真相 active to be able to get it from Dondoro, but it's still apparently kinda rare.

Ah thanks, so i'm doing it right then. Just have to be patient until he drops the dondoro moto, out of the bosses he is my favourite love that he walks around in a cooking pot.

Meffer

Quick question: should I get the first game or just jump into the most recent one?
I would go for the second one as well and go for the third version Shinuchi. I'm was impressed how the they handle the beginning of it since when the first one came out, not many played it at first.

Hattori

Banned
More stuff to do in second game, i'd start with that as it will keep you more than busy. If you find out that you love it after playing (high probability hehe) you can always pick up the first game to play the other story from the very beginning.

The story in the first & second games are kind of separate but playing the first helps you understand how it all began, but the second game has a tutorial to help bring you up to speed it doesn't punish you for not getting the first game, however there are bonuses for linking the first game to the second via the mystery lens feature.

Shinuchi is the most content filled out of them all. Maybe go for that one & see what you think.

I would go for the second one as well and go for the third version Shinuchi. I'm was impressed how the they handle the beginning of it since when the first one came out, not many played it at first.
I gonna pick up the latest one then, thanks for info

Impotaku

IMG_0488%20res.jpg

Finally He's mine :) if only i had as much luck on the damn gashapon machine, been putting 5 star coins in the gashapon to get the last 2 S ranks i need to unlock a legendary but i keep getting damn shadow orochi's i must have 5 of them between all my games it's infuriating. On the plus side i managed to get Emerunyan so that's only Diyanyan & Topanyan left to get now.

If anyone wants to swap my many Dark Orochi or something else thats S rank for a Dark Kyuubi which i still need then give us a shout.

Meffer

Seems like Hasbro will handle the toys for the rest of the world.

Transformers-Toy-Fair-2015-TFW2005-37_1423835639.jpg

They mentioned it at the 2015 Toy Fair. I think it's great that Level5 did a deal with Hasbro for this.

Linius

So another confirmation that it should be coming soon then. Why can't they just announce it officialy and give us a release window :/

akileese

Is there any sort of walktrhough guide online somewhere in case I get stuck? I don't mind if it's not in English but my (as well as my gfs) kanji is rubbish and it's causing me more difficulties than I thought it would.

kubus

I'm trying to make sense of the Yokai numbering but I just can't. They're ordered by their type in both games (so all Isamashi type Yokai come first, then all Fushigi Yokai, etc) so the numbering in both games are completely different as the second game adds a whole lot of new Yokai.

I'm actually looking into making a comprehensive (and more importantly, English) database of all Yokai and I was hoping I wouldn't have to make 2 separate databases for both games. But it's starting to seem like that's the only way.

Does anyone know if stats, skills, that kinda thing also differs between the same Yokai in YW1 and YW2? Because that would become kinda ridiculous, lol.

My respect for sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia has increased tenfold after looking into this for a couple of days, as we all know how messed up Pokemon numbering has gotten.

Koppai

Omg, what if there were Yokai Watch amiibo, that would be fucking hell lol. :<

Looking forward to this franchise to finally come out in English :)

kubus

The actual Youkai medals are numbered but there's tons of them now.
Is the numbering of the medals different from the numbering in the games as well? If so, LOL. Then one Yokai could potentially have 3 different numbers? That's ridiculous :p

And yeah, Yokai amiibo would be the end of me... Please don't :(

Impotaku

You will need two listings, one that follows the dictionary from the first game and one that follows the dictionary from the second game. Just checked and the numberings are different between games however the dictionary numbers are consistent between ganso/honke/shinuchi.

The physical medals have an additional problem as not all medals are numbered the side series like the ones from the gashapon machines and from the packs of gum & ramune sweets are not numbered, the grey medals that work with the first watch from the main series booster packs are all numbered. The ones that work with the zeroshiki watch like the koten & z medals stopped using numbers on them.

Meffer

So unless they follow a consistent number system in the next game or in the worldwide release of YW, you're in for quite the ordeal.

kubus

Thanks both for your input, I guess I'll have to make two lists then :p.

Now let's see if I can figure out if I can do this with a MySQL database... That would save me a lot of work.

Curse you Level-5 for making this needlessly complicated!

Pachimari

I really wonder when it'll release. Probably this fall?
And do you think they'll start with the original or give #2 straight away?

Linius

A 1 + 2 bundle would be great. But I guess they just start with 1 and have us behind at least three to four years all the time
D5Jy4CR.png

kubus

To make it up to you guys who were disappointed by a lack of real news with the latest thread bump, here is something for ya:

Hasbro is looking for a senior product designer for their Yo-Kai Watch line. Now, normally this isn't such exciting news, but it gives a slight hint as to what to expect from the game localization:

Hasbro is thrilled to be expanding the amazingly successful Yo-Kai Watch brand in the US. We are excited to create a comprehensive, fluid, product ecosystem that is centered on Yo-kai spirits and encompasses an entire array of play experiences, including an integrated digital experience, that will compel boys and girls age 4-10 to collect and play with over 220 unique Yo-kai offered in various product forms including mini figures, role play, plush and collectible Spirit Medals.

We are searching for talented, driven experts to help design products that will define the way children experience this entertainment based brand. A top candidate must have a solid track record of creating entertainment based play for children age 6-10 and must be able to demonstrate the ability to drive innovation, as well as own the user experience, for an entire range of products.

The first YW game has 223 Yokai total so I think it's safe to assume that they will start with localizing the first game instead of skipping right to YW2 like some people were hoping/fearing.

And it's always nice to hear what kind of merchandise they will be bringing over. Medals! (I wonder if they'll really be called Spirit Medals? Seems kinda confusing if they call the youkai both "Yo-kai" and "Spirits")

Complete job listing here.

Hmeow~

So, I just picked Honke back up after a bit of a hiatus and need a little assistance:

Just ranked up my watch to C-Rank and opened the C -Door and went into the cave, but.... How the heck do I get across the water?!

Impotaku

Hmeow~

So, I just picked Honke back up after a bit of a hiatus and need a little assistance:

Just ranked up my watch to C-Rank and opened the C -Door and went into the cave, but.... How the heck do I get across the water?!

Sounds like this bit

first part: you may get stuck on.
At the point in the main story when you go back in time you will eventually come across the quest where Keizo's youkai friends were turned to stone you have to try and revive them all but the curse is too strong and whispers attempts fail. However back in the present day it will have been 60 years and the curse has weakened enough for whisper to dispel it. As you find and rescue all 6 of the youkai there is one in a cave in the costal village of Igisaki. In this cave are 3 question signs, the youkai they are referring to all are in that cave so you wont have to travel too far to find them to befriend (hint: they like noodles so stock up on cup noodles from the convinience store)

All the 3 youkai needed are the seaweed ones.

The 1st sign is asking for Wakame kun &#12527;&#12459;&#12513;&#12367;&#12435; (Number 163 in encyclopedia)
The 2nd sign you come to is Konbu san &#12467; &#12531;&#12502;&#12373;&#12435; (Number 165 in encyclopedia)
The 3rd sign is Mekabu chan &#12513;&#12459;&#12502;&#12385;&#12419;&#12435; (Number 166 in encyclopedia)

Once the youkai are placed in their spots they will raise & lower the water level when you talk to them allowing you to get to the back of the cave to rescue Ningyou

{edit} Besides Ningyou who is explained above on how to get to her there is a youkai in your grandmothers house called Zashikiwarashi, when revived he will ask you to get something for him. He will give you a riddle on where he hid it, he is referring to outside the house on the right hand side where the fire is to heat the bathtub. If you search here you will find the Menko he hid (menko are like japanese pogs).

Anivyl

Neo Member
woo my first post.

Hi, I have been searching and seem to find conflicting answers. hopefully someone knows the answers to these questions:

1) the 3 youkai watch 2 games. I understood from many blogs/news they are essentially the same game, just different quests and monsters. But in a few comments to some of these posts, people said that the games are entirely different. Which is which?

2) there are 2 physicaly youkai watch. the youkai watch deluxe and the type 0. does anyone know the difference? I know the type 0 utilises the "old" youkai medals (for the youkais they met during the time travel), but do they also use the "modern" youkai?

I am slowly waddling my way through the first chapter in youkai 1, looking forward to getting youkai watch 2 lol! but my japanese is >.>

So, my Japanese teacher wants to play through Youkai Watch (the first one) and she just got it. I offered to also replay the game as well so we could chat about it despite playing Honke right now (I stopped playing the first game by the second in-game episode as I'd moved on to Danganronpa a year ago >.<)

So that brings me to the question: I'm currently facing
Nobosetonman
and had never gotten to this point the first time, so.... How do I beat him?! I'm constantly getting my team knocked out before they can even kncok his HP to 50%! My team is Jimmy, Jibanyan, Darudaruma, Tohohogisu, Donyori-nu and Semimaru

(Forgot to mention that I ended up simply restarting the game to re-familiarize myself with it since it's been so long)

hongcha

1) the 3 youkai watch 2 games. I understood from many blogs/news they are essentially the same game, just different quests and monsters. But in a few comments to some of these posts, people said that the games are entirely different. Which is which?

The bolded part is correct.

Impotaku

So, my Japanese teacher wants to play through Youkai Watch (the first one) and she just got it. I offered to also replay the game as well so we could chat about it despite playing Honke right now (I stopped playing the first game by the second in-game episode as I'd moved on to Danganronpa a year ago >.<)

So that brings me to the question: I'm currently facing
Nobosetonman
and had never gotten to this point the first time, so.... How do I beat him?! I'm constantly getting my team knocked out before they can even kncok his HP to 50%! My team is Jimmy, Jibanyan, Darudaruma, Tohohogisu, Donyori-nu and Semimaru

(Forgot to mention that I ended up simply restarting the game to re-familiarize myself with it since it's been so long)

You have to use the pin an concentrate your attacks on his belly button but he will use the bucket to cover up and protect it so every so often you'll have to move the pin somewhere else till he's taken enough damage and he exposes it. You might have to grind a bit if this tactic isn't helping as you might be too low a level but give it a try first.

You have to use the pin an concentrate your attacks on his belly button but he will use the bucket to cover up and protect it so every so often you'll have to move the pin somewhere else till he's taken enough damage and he exposes it. You might have to grind a bit if this tactic isn't helping as you might be too low a level but give it a try first.

Thanks for that assistance!

I got much further and have now hit another snag....

So, after having my first encounter with
Kyuubi
I'm being directed to a Youkai Door with a C on it. My watch is currently D Rank but I have no idea where to go to find the parts to take to the watch shop for the upgrade. Help?

Sorry for all the help questions... I know enough Japanese hiragana and katakana to read but my comprehension skills (and vocab) need more work, hence playing Japanese games... Sorry for bothering others

Omg, omg, omg!!!

They are going to release Fumi-Chan's Youkai Watch next month! Now I can finally get one (wanted the female watch for the longest and was disappointed that only Keita's was offered), so my cosplay plans for next year's Katsucon will be set! (I plan on doing the dance in the atrium if I can convince some friends to join me, lol). Now I just gotta get off my butt and make the preorder (gonna have to use Tenso since this is a game-related item and Amazon.JP won't ship game stuff outside the country)

Fumi-Chan's Youkai Watch

outsideroom302

Neo Member
Could a kind soul elaborate on the streetpass functionality for me in Yokai Watch 1? From what I gather you set it up by talking to the guy outside the empty apartment buildings. After that, street passers just populate the rooms with rivals to fight? 20+ hours into the game and loving it by the way.

Bumping my previous post as I'm still lost:

So, after having my first encounter with
Kyuubi
I'm being directed to a Youkai Door with a C on it. My watch is currently D Rank but I have no idea where to go to find the parts to take to the watch shop for the upgrade. Help?

Sorry for all the help questions... I know enough Japanese hiragana and katakana to read but my comprehension skills (and vocab) need more work, hence playing Japanese games... Sorry for bothering others

Oare

Sorry for the bump, but something struck me today, and I didn't really know where to put it.

I've played the game quite extensively, but had been missing one yokai for the longest time: Dorobokkun, which can be had by evolving Karipakkun.
As I had some time to kill today, I finally unlocked him, aaaand&#8230;
Here's a picture.
wW6P7QJ.png

Is it me, or is this cringe-inducingly close to a "blackface"?
His name literally evokes the idea of a thief, and his description pitches him as "the evolved version of Karipakkun who has turned to active theft."

Thinking about it, the Mitomen aren't exactly in very good taste either.
q1ffaMm.jpg

Their in-game description says something like "a group of three white-boy looking yokai who deny everything that doesn't suit their convenience".

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of those were done with the intention to harm or discriminate.
Dorobokkun is probably just a coincidence: his name is a pun between "gokkun", which means "gulp"
(but you already knew that)
and "dorobo" which means "thief", where "doro" is a character meaning "mud". His face might be dark simply because it's supposed to evoke soil.
And the Mitomen are a pun between the word "mitomen" ("I'm not not accepting a fact" in southern dialects) and the English "men", which of course had to be illustrated with the old "big-nosed rich douchebag with a Prince Valiant haircut" cliché.

But I still think it's unfortunate. And worth pointing out, because it's more than time Japan started getting its shit together on the issue of racial prejudice and discrimination. I mean, this is a game that's selling truckloads to kids. It'd be nice if it could at least actively avoid feeding people's worst stereotypes.

Meffer

Sorry for the bump, but something struck me today, and I didn't really know where to put it.

I've played the game quite extensively, but had been missing one yokai for the longest time: Dorobokkun, which can be had by evolving Karipakkun.
As I had some time to kill today, I finally unlocked him, aaaand…
Here's a picture.
wW6P7QJ.png

Is it me, or is this cringe-inducingly close to a "blackface"?
His name literally evokes the idea of a thief, and his description pitches him as "the evolved version of Karipakkun who has turned to active theft."

Thinking about it, the Mitomen aren't exactly in very good taste either.
q1ffaMm.jpg

Their in-game description says something like "a group of three white-boy looking yokai who deny everything that doesn't suit their convenience".

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of those were done with the intention to harm or discriminate.
Dorobokkun is probably just a coincidence: his name is a pun between "gokkun", which means "gulp"
(but you already knew that)
and "dorobo" which means "thief", where "doro" is a character meaning "mud". His face might be dark simply because it's supposed to evoke soil.
And the Mitomen are a pun between the word "mitomen" ("I'm not not accepting a fact" in southern dialects) and the English "men", which of course had to be illustrated with the old "big-nosed rich douchebag with a Prince Valiant haircut" cliché.

But I still think it's unfortunate. And worth pointing out, because it's more than time Japan started getting its shit together on the issue of racial prejudice and discrimination. I mean, this is a game that's selling truckloads to kids. It'd be nice if it could at least actively avoid feeding people's worst stereotypes.
Wait till you see Aperican.

Meffer

I'll be asleep by then but I'm sure there'll be a thread about it a bit afterwards. GAF is taking interest to the series more and more.

Top Bottom