• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch releasing in the West next year

Mortemis

Banned
Nice, will buy. Time to find out for myself first hand what the fuck this is. Call me an idiot, but every explanation I've gotten still makes me scratch my head.

WHAT
WHAT THE FUCK

You can't be making this shit up. I literally JUST finalized my order of Youkai Watch import on Nipponyasan and the very next thing I do is go from the "order confirmed" page to GAF and see this topic on the freaking top of the page.

ffffffffffffffffffffffff----

So much bad luck that it turned into good luck for everyone else. Thank you for your misfortune.

Is this the game that sold like hotcakes when it released in JP? Is there a appendant tv series and if yes, will this also come to the west?
The 2nd game. The 1st one got the legs though due to anime popularity.
WHAT
WHAT THE FUCK

You can't be making this shit up. I literally JUST finalized my order of Youkai Watch import on Nipponyasan and the very next thing I do is go from the "order confirmed" page to GAF and see this topic on the freaking top of the page.

image.php

FSLink

Banned
the 3ds's us library in 2015-2016 will be long-held off localizations, bravely second, majora's mask 3d, and codename steam. wouldn't be surprised if dragon quest vii was thrown into the mix for next year.

i hope there are more though. lots of stuff got stuck in japan. like a lot. like for reals.

Personally would not mind if the lineup was "Localization Apology edition featuring Majora's Mask and a few others". Some of them are long overdue, haha.

I have Yokai Watch 1, is 2 a huge improvement over it?

kubus

So much bad luck that it turned into good luck for everyone else. Thank you for your misfortune.
No problem.

This happened with every single game I imported. Monster Hunter 3G, Tomodachi Collection, now this.

If you all could donate some money, I'll import Dragon Quest VII too.

random25

No problem.

This happened with every single game I imported. Monster Hunter 3G, Tomodachi Collection, now this.

If you all could donate some money, I'll import Dragon Quest VII too.

Hope somebody donates you some money to buy DQVII. Seems you are the harbringer of localization. :p

AdanVC

Hnnnghhh finally and they bringing the toys/merchandise and everything! Hope they bring the TV show as well (there's a TV show right?). Looking forward to it!

Faustek

Fuck....hope this is a Level-5 only endeavour so Nintendo's localisation team can work on DQVII/BD2.

Other than that, remember to get the Anime on Chrunchyroll and Netflix and don't make us wait for so long.

WHAT
WHAT THE FUCK

This used to happen with me and every Yakuza title, but the chain was broken with 5 ;_;

Besides, you've got plenty of time to play through YW (2? Not specified) before it shows up in the West. I have a digital edition of the Honke ver., proudly shown by Jibanyan here:

ThePeoplesBureau1408212201.jpeg

But I also have a physical copy of the Ganso ver. on the way (no shill alert: cdjapan are doing it quite cheap at the moment if any importers are still on the fence).

YW is a great franchise, lots of fun and full of bright characters - I'm sure it will do just fine outside Japan. Also: GIVE ME ALL THE TOYS

Knowing Nintendo, probably only Europe.

Don't do this to me! Level-5 waited forever for Inazuma Eleven in NA, and they only released it digitally. There are also no signs of Inazuma Eleven 2/3/Go/etc. in NA. The only thing gained from it is the superior American voice acting (but still the awful names).

If Fantasy Life, a small title compared to Youkai Watch, can be brought to NA, then so can Youkai Watch.

L~A

Knowing Nintendo, probably only Europe.

Hmm? Fantasy Life comes out in both territories, so there's no reason YW wouldn't come out in NA (provided Nintendo are publishing).

This got nothing to do with football/soccer, so NA is safe.

Faustek

Well import an European 3DS if such is the case?

And the best part: SMT IV Level-5 topics can finally stop being derailed by people whining about it not being available in Europe US.

Nah seriously, it'll come stateside. Would be really stupid if not...stupid enough to actually fire Reggie into the sun.

Kouriozan

Yep, 2 years after the first one released in Japan.
It's Inazuma Eleven all over again but I'm not complaining, can't wait!

Didn't really doubt it, but nice to hear anyway. Looking forward to giving it a go.

It'd be really interesting to see if it can emulate Pokemon success in the West as it did in Japan.
It won't. The designs and the world are far too specifically Japanese to appeal to western kids, unlike Pokemon's more universal designs, and the popularity of the games in Japan was kick started by an anime series that will not have a fraction of the mainstream exposure it had there in the West. I can definitely see it being a success, but let's not go nuts.

Youkai Watch isn't quite up to the standards of Pokémon in Japan yet, anyway. An astonishing success, sure, but not a Pokémon/ Mon Hun-style king.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Will probably now come out just after the 3DS successor has been announced and get lost in the transitional hype period.

2 year localisation periods really kneecap potential.

Skele7on

Banned
Does this mean a terrible dub is incoming?

I will be sticking to the subbed version as seriously I can't name one time that a series like this has come to the west and had decent voice acting.

This used to happen with me and every Yakuza title, but the chain was broken with 5 ;_;

Besides, you've got plenty of time to play through YW (2? Not specified) before it shows up in the West. I have a digital edition of the Honke ver., proudly shown by Jibanyan here:

ThePeoplesBureau1408212201.jpeg

But I also have a physical copy of the Ganso ver. on the way (no shill alert: cdjapan are doing it quite cheap at the moment if any importers are still on the fence).

YW is a great franchise, lots of fun and full of bright characters - I'm sure it will do just fine outside Japan. Also: GIVE ME ALL THE TOYS

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PLUSH? SO NICEE. GIVE ME IT NOWWW!

Refugio

I don't know too much about the games except the basics(monster collecting type of thing, sold like millions.) I did watch couple of episodes of the anime awhile back though, and it seems like an interesting enough franchise. I'm in.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Will probably now come out just after the 3DS successor has been announced and get lost in the transitional hype period.

Thats why i think they should bring the 2nd game over - took way to long to bring IE Go games to the west/europe and that kinda killed my hype for it.

Jimrpg

Yes!!! But is it necessary to play the first before the second? Isn't the second an improvement over the first in many ways?

And this completely validates my US 3DS this month! So excited.

Given the audience (i.e. kids), I would not worry too much. For example, Pokémon was released in Europe in 2000, a year and a half before GBA came out; Inazuma Eleven 2 sold really well even if it was released after the 3DS was out.

sublimit

Banned
Awesome news that he officially confirmed it but i really hope it will be the 2nd game since it has a lot of improvements over the first game.

Smart move. This is one of those quirky, collect 'em all Japanese franchises that I can see blowing up in the west. I think it's Japan folklore roots will be appealing rather than a turn-off to western kids.

I'm very interested in playing the game, especially after reading the impressions by GAFer. (made his own thread about it, but I can't find it anymore)

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
Score! This looks like one of those games that could end up being a lot of fun.

Seeing as how Bravely Default sold more here in the West than in Japan, I wonder if something similar could happen with Youkai Watch.

I'm gonna need a press release, but a random interview is better than nothing, I guess.

And please don't skip the first game like some people in this thread are suggesting (ew).

Top Bottom