• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch releasing in the West next year

Neat. I wonder if it'll sell well over here. Seems like the ones that come over and are released over here (that new Beyblade, Max Steel, etc) becomes popular for a bit and then disappears off the radar.

Tortimer

Fingers crossed that the translation team keeps faithful to the original material.

Also, from what I've heard about the kid's show, they really should consider releasing it on YouTube or online so they can get away with a lot more while still aiming to appeal to kids.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seriously, I wouldn't take this as confirmation.

Hino clearly says he is "planning to release it sometime next year".

Yes, it isnt official or anything but looking at their past released they dont have much to bring over from Japan left. With Nintendo concentrating more on WiiU and 4DS launch software they will need to bring over more japanese games to fill their release schedule - YW 2015 will probably be what Fantasy Life Link is this year for us.

Thank goodness now I can finally see what this is all about. Also that Youtube video of them dancing in the street is unbearably catchy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
HkMg62N.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how well it will do in the west, could it become the next pokemon?

Hard to tell, but I think it may be too Japanese to be widely successful. It feels like it's 10 years too late, considering the Japanese anime/manga boom is dead and buried outside of niche audiences now.

random25

Hard to tell, but I think it may be too Japanese to be widely successful. It feels like it's 10 years too late, considering the Japanese anime/manga boom is dead and buried outside of niche audiences now.

I won't be so sure about that. Pokemon as a whole (game, anime, toys, etc.) is still widely popular in the current generation of gamers outside of Japan. Anime fad maybe dwindling, but franchises aimed at kids can easily catch on regardless of cultural differences. It's up to L5 and partners on how they'll execute their YW campaign in the West.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I won't be so sure about that. Pokemon as a whole (game, anime, toys, etc.) is still widely popular in the current generation of gamers outside of Japan. Anime fad maybe dwindling, but franchises aimed at kids can easily catch on regardless of cultural differences. It's up to L5 and partners on how they'll execute their YW campaign in the West.

Pokémon is set in a fantasy world, though. Yokai Watch is straight up Japan and much of the characters, jokes, and humor in it rely on knowledge of Japan and Japanese culture. It's created from the beginning to specifically target Japanese boys and adults who grew up 20+ years ago and have a fondness for that era.

We'll have to wait and see, but I don't think it's entirely comparable to Pokémon.

Reveirg

Fantastic news! Level-5 needs to get up-to-date with their localizations. Fantasy Life and now this are steps in the right direction =).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I keep on seeing this but steadily increasing attendance at anime conventions like Otakon would contradict this.

random25

Pokémon is set in a fantasy world, though. Yokai Watch is straight up Japan and much of the characters, jokes, and humor in it rely on knowledge of Japan and Japanese culture. It's created from the beginning to specifically target Japanese boys and adults who grew up 20+ years ago and have a fondness for that era.

We'll have to wait and see, but I don't think it's entirely comparable to Pokémon.

It's aimed at kids. If there are jokes and cultural things, it's not Gintama-level of "I didn't understand the reference." If lots of Japanese mascots and franchises for kids are being promoted in the West and are still popular, I'm pretty confident YW will do the same. It will still up to L5 and partners on how they'll promote this game to be mainstream in the West.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I keep on seeing this but steadily increasing attendance at anime conventions like Otakon would contradict this.

I'm not sure that increased attendance in extremely niche events indicates any kind of increased widespread appeal.

I think it's rather undeniable that the exposure of Japanese media in the mainstream has decreased dramatically in the last decade. At the turn of the century, everyone was playing Japanese video games and watching Toonami (in the US), and translated manga was taking off in a pretty big way.

None of that is really the case these days, but thanks to the increased adoption of the Internet, I think the niche communities have been able to coordinate and come together better than before. I just don't think Japanese culture is nearly as popular as it once was. I may be wrong, though!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not surpised I knew that the game would get localized, shame that my interest died when I found out about the battle system.

Did they confirm a platform?

I hope it's Vita/PS4 with crossbuy and crossave. iOS would also be fine.

Pfffwahahahahahaaha what a lame port beg. It was created for the 3DS and it will stay on the 3DS until Level 5 see fit to move it.

So is Pokémon between gen 1-4 those region was set in Japan and while you didn't need to know Japan and Japanese culture. It didn't hurt knowing about then when playing those games.

Like why Gen 4 had more legendary Pokémon in the Pokédex is due to the region it was based on.

Hell Hoenn had a cave called the Scorched Slab housing nothing but the TM for Sunnyday which made no sense to anyone unless you read up on what the cave is actually based on.

Meffer

That fact that it's Japanese is part of its appeal in my opinion.

Malio

I'm guessing this will be fucking handhelds only, yes?

Cus we know you can't have a good Pokemon-like game on a console. /s

FLD

Since the OP/source mentions a toy company, I have to ask: is this series a Skylanders kinda deal where you need to buy toys alongside the game? It looks really interesting but that would kill my interest instantly.

Since the OP/source mentions a toy company, I have to ask: is this series a Skylanders kinda deal where you need to buy toys alongside the game? It looks really interesting but that would kill my interest instantly.
No, these are just regular toys like medals, plushes and figures.

At least confirmed!

I'll jump with the second entry in 2016 :D
With that mindset you should probably wait for the third entry in 2017, and so on. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is Pokémon between gen 1-4 those region was set in Japan

No... no they weren't, but apparently the nuance of my point is being lost in here, so I'll just drop it.

Top Bottom