• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Penguin

This is slightly early, but the show looks good.

young-justice.jpg

What's the Show About?
Young Justice focuses on the lives of a group of teenaged superhero sidekicks and protégés attempting to establish themselves as proven superheroes and as teenagers dealing with adolescent issues grounded in the context of their personal lives.

The show is loosely based around the comic series of the same name from a few years ago. And by loosely, I mean in the loosiest sense of the word, I guess it has some of the team members.

Who are The Members?
Warner-Bros.-features-Young-Justice-footage-at-Comic-Con-2010.jpg

Robin (Dick Grayson in this series)
Kid Flash (Wally West in the series)
Aqualad
Artemis
Superboy (Connor Kent)
Ms. Martian

These are the core 6 members of the team, but there will be several guest appearances including a full roster of the Justice League.
JLA.jpg

What Does it Look Like?
Sure there are some photos above, but that doesn't give you a full picture.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=25340
A 6 minute as they said at NYCC, sizzle reel of the first episode.

As you can see, a lot of ice-based villains, the producers claim there is a reason for it.

When Does it Air?
Now here's the problem, the show technically premieres in Jan, but Cartoon Network is offering up a sneak peek with an hour long series premiere next Friday (Nov 26th) at 7pm. Kind of a tease since you have to wait 2 months for the next episode, but here's the promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0PBD6acqes

Why Should You Watch?
Other than the show looking awesome, it comes from the minds that bought us Gargoyles and Spec Spiderman so a hell of a pedigree there.

Voice Talent
Robin/Dick Grayson – Jesse McCartney
Kid Flash/Wally West – Jason Spizak -
Aqualad - Khary Payton
Superboy/Connor Kent – Nolan North
Miss Martian – Danica McKellar
Artemis – Stephanie Lemelin

Batman - Bruce Greenwood –
Green Arrow - Alan Tudyk
Aquaman - Phil LaMarr
Captain Marvel - Rob Lowe

I'm really looking forward to this. I hope it can possibly fill the void left in my heart when Teen Titans ended. :( It doesn't actually start until January? Ugh.

DonasaurusRex said:
does there really have to be a young martian manhunter...
Yes, there does. Because M'gann is adorable. And you need all the cuteness you can get when the other Titans are dropping like flies
or girlfriends in refrigerators

cuterthaneverkx0.jpg

yencid

Just saw the 6 min preview. Holy shit GET HYPE. that looks soooo good! excited :D

Aqualad is a bad ass. Loved him in the video.

The designs look a lot like Green Lantern: First Flight, more realistic and detailed than the typical DCAU fare, especially on the JLU characters who were more stylized.

Ducarmel

ninj4junpei said:
I'm really looking forward to this. I hope it can possibly fill the void left in my heart when Teen Titans ended. :( It doesn't actually start until January? Ugh.

the link says it premiers this month??

Asbel

big fan of the comic so I don't like the roster change. But I'll watch anyway.

tangent, will they ever make a kid lantern? :lol

Asbel

Ducarmel said:
^ thanks for info guys

So was the comic campy? Should we expect the series to be campy no teenage emo crap.
comic was like teen titans show except replace anime style elements of the show with western ones.

Only character from the comic that made it to this show is conner so I don't expect it to be the same.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Conner, Dick Grayson and Wally West? Sign me the fuck up.

jdogmoney

Was Batman in that trailer voiced by Kevin Conroy?

I'm in.

Even if those two words are his entire contribution to the two hours.

Penguin

jdogmoney said:
Was Batman in that trailer voiced by Kevin Conroy?

I'm in.

Even if those two words are his entire contribution to the two hours.

I actually believe it is Bruce Greenwood who voiced him in Under the Red Hood, perhaps, I should update with voice cast, but need to find.

TreIII

I've been keeping an eye out for this one. It really looks like another DCU toon proper that I can get into. And not as silly as Teen Titans, either. :lol

I hate the voice talent outside Khary Payton (Cyborg in Teen Titans)

I'd make a big writeup on this, but I'll save it for later. If you want to rap Penguin, I'll leave AIM on.

Asbel said:
comic was like teen titans show except replace anime style elements of the show with western ones.

Only character from the comic that made it to this show is conner so I don't expect it to be the same.
This really looks like Teen Titans pt 2, they probably just used the YJ name to differentiate it from the last show. Should have been Tim Drake Robin, kid gets no respect. And I hope this show somehow has Superboy Prime as a villain.

Jayge

Cartoon Network has just been building their lineup the fuck back up to near-classic levels, haven't they? I'm excited as hell for this. I'm excited as hell for the future of cartoons, which looked bleak as shit for a while.

Penguin

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This really looks like Teen Titans pt 2, they probably just used the YJ name to differentiate it from the last show. Should have been Tim Drake Robin, kid gets no respect. And I hope this show somehow has Superboy Prime as a villain.

I think the way the producers worded it at comic-con is that its impossible to do Tim justice without there being a Dick or even to a lesser degree Jason before him.

You have to realize that the age of he... nevermind, gonna sound like PR here

Asbel

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I get that. Expecting something different from the book here. Would have been great to have Impulse too, but then wouldn't be much different from the book and they weren't going for that.

Chairhome

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Well, Young Justice was the first teen superhero team and it had Superboy, Dick Grayson, and Wally West. I do love Tim Drake though.

The six minute short gave me so much hope, it was like watching those brief uber serious moments from Teen Titans(season 1-2). As a fan of all manner(almost...) of Robin, I too would like some Tim action but this is what is.

Sheppard

I am not sure. I get a big meh feeling from this. The voices just don't seem right. Nolan North as Connor? That Jessie kid as Robin? What redeeming factor do you all see in this?

Chairhome

Sheppard said:
I am not sure. I get a big meh feeling from this. The voices just don't seem right. Nolan North as Connor? That Jessie kid as Robin? What redeeming factor do you all see in this?
I can see the voices working. Jesse McCartney also played Roxas in Kingdom Hearts, I think he'll be fine.

Rlan

It's kind of funny that it looks a lot more like a serious version of Batman: Brave and the Bold than anything from The Timm Universe. The design of Kid Flash and Aqua Man especially.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So I guess all the animated DC that is NOT aimed with a "kid appeal" is heading straight to PG-13 DVD?

I'm sorry but after the awesome Batman and Superman and Justice League eras I had my fun with Teen Titans and even the League of Superheros, but I'm not on board with Brave and the Bold and this one seems like more of the same direction.

Someone should flesh out the net-based animated Lobo that came out a while ago and put it on Adult Swim. I'm 38 now for chrissakes.

ReiGun

Show looks good. Going for a more serious tone than Teen Titans, which I like. I loved TT, but I really didn't want YJ to be a retread of it.

Top Bottom