• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite/greatest bullshots in gaming history

The Order: 1886 is pretty stunning though. I'd have to say it has closed the gap more than almost any other game to date.

the-order-1886-012814-1.jpg

I'm not saying it doesn't look great, it really does and that's actually one of the few games for next gen I'm excited for. But it's still not close to the stuff we have gotten in pre rendered trailers like the motorstorm one and I certainly don't blame the devs for that, it's just too far away hardware wise to do that.

eso76

I never really understood the outrage with halo 2 and 3 reveals.
It's cutscenes and I don't remember cutscenes being much worse in final games.
I never thought either halo reveal was much more impressive than retail. Different yes, but I don't remember the huge gap. I might need to watch h2 and 3 cutscenes again, though.

Now halo4 looks *exactly* like the screens posted before. Cutscenes in that game were absolutely bollocks.

213372bu

Banned
Blah.
Meant to post :
xlarge.jpg

And that image of Master Chief lying down on this weird redesign of the Ghost in Halo 2, which was facing the opposite direction than it normally does. I think it was in OXM or something.

DOWN

Banned
I never really understood the outrage with halo 2 and 3 reveals.
It's cutscenes and I don't remember cutscenes being much worse in final games.
I never thought either halo reveal was much more impressive than retail. Different yes, but I don't remember the huge gap. I might need to watch h2 and 3 cutscenes again, though.

Now halo4 looks *exactly* like the screens posted before. Cutscenes in that game were absolutely bollocks.

This was the original

ih7c4ffqyGAve.png

This is what it released as (hell, even this shot is higher res than the real game)

Voi_7.jpg

The public found one of those visuals way less dazzling.

eso76

This was the original

ih7c4ffqyGAve.png

This is what it released as

Voi_7.jpg

The public found one of those visuals way less dazzling.

Yep, mc lacks the shininess and detail maps, but I'm sure one could find shots with less flat lighting and some dof that would look closer to the trailer.
My point is, there's nothing especially impressive about halo 3 reveal, I have no trouble believing it was realtime on x360, just being more of a tech demo (most poly and texture budget blown on mc etc)

DOWN

Banned
Yep, mc lacks the shininess and detail maps, but I'm sure one could find shots with less flat lighting and some dof that would look closer to the trailer.
My point is, there's nothing especially impressive about halo 3 reveal, I have no trouble believing it was realtime on x360, just being more of a tech demo (most poly and texture budget blown on mc etc)

Oh, maybe you missed the earlier discussion, but part of the disappointment was that they did claim that this was realtime in game. And it is far more packed, sharp, and lit than the actual game.

I picked that "flat lighting" shot because that is the location and level that the reveal was captured at. And there really isn't anything that looks near as good as the reveal in the game. It just took a hit overall, and his visor is probably the most visible thing. It seems like the visor should be no big deal, but it was one of the most eye-catching effects we saw.

zewone

Lots of people don't know the difference between bullshots and dynamic cameras.

Some of the shots posted here look like the actual game, but are using cameras that look cool, but would not be considered playable.

I don't have a problem with that.

Caayn

Blah.
Meant to post :
xlarge.jpg

And that image of Master Chief lying down on this weird redesign of the Ghost in Halo 2, which was facing the opposite direction than it normally does. I think it was in OXM or something.
Sorry but that looks just like the final game. If there's one thing 343i did well, it's that the game ended up looking like what was promised.

DOWN

Banned
Lots of people don't know the difference between bullshots and dynamic cameras.

Some of the shots posted here look like the actual game, but are using cameras that look cool, but would not be considered playable.

I don't have a problem with that.

In the case of the AC photos that you said look like the game, I'm not sure where you played it. The console releases (which those shots promoted, as PC releases weren't launched until later) did not line up that way in timing or character contact, have those super resolutions with low aliasing, that lighting, or some of the effects. Ubisoft is guilty. It was even mentioned they have people specifically working on screenshot enhancements above.

Hahaha I remember this so well!

Ubisoft are fantastic at bullshots.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

How did I believe that would be possible for 2006?!

Ubisoft man.

image_300143_fit_940.jpg

Amped. So much drama back then. After all the pressure Microsoft actually came out with a statement admitting that the screenshots were tampered with.

What I came to post and it's still glorious. I want to meet who made this and then whoever thought they could get away with it. Too damn funny.

Myths

I don't get it? The game looks exactly like that.

EDIT: Whoosh.

'Whoosh' is right. No way the game is going to look exactly like that on both consoles down to the compression.

Hint: Use the "Difference" layer style with one screenshot plastered above the other in Photoshop.

repeater

That can't be a real screenshot. This is almost PS2 levels of IQ.
edit: oh it's the vita version.
To be fair, screenshots from the Vita's in-built functionality always look slightly worse when viewed on a monitor than the actual game does on the Vita. Still, the level of bullshotting going on here was truly remarkable.

Horp

Since so many games do this, we should probably have an opposite thread. "What games came out looking as good as, or better, than the trailers/screenshots before release?". Maybe there is such a thread already.

eso76

Oh, maybe you missed the earlier discussion, but part of the disappointment was that they did claim that this was realtime in game. And it is far more packed, sharp, and lit than the actual game.

I picked that "flat lighting" shot because that is the location and level that the reveal was captured at. And there really isn't anything that looks near as good as the reveal in the game. It just took a hit overall, and his visor is probably the most visible thing. It seems like the visor should be no big deal, but it was one of the most eye-catching effects we saw.

Yeah, well I never really believed or cared what mc looked like in my halo (whatever it looks like, the fact alone we see him, means the sshot/video is not representative of ingame) so that's why I never really paid much attention.

Gif posted above though, shows the game isn't THAT far off. I found a few pics, but they were taken with the built in bullshot generator, so posting them is meaningless.

Gestault

Yeah, well I never really believed or cared what mc looked like in my halo (whatever it looks like, the fact alone we see him, means the sshot/video is not representative of ingame) so that's why I never really paid much attention.

Gif posted above though, shows the game isn't THAT far off. I found a few pics, but they were taken with the built in bullshot generator, so posting them is meaningless.

I see the reflective visor brought up more than anything else, and it was in the game to basically the same degree. It was definitely a pre-generated environment map mixed with lighting events, but that's what we saw in the reveal.

iLWGqqgWFytPi.gif

mantidor

Are people that desperate to post bullshots from Nintendo they are posting tech demos' screenshots? lol

Nintendo always somehow manages to make their screenshots look worst than the actual game, all tech demos were easily surpassed later in the consoles' lives anyway.

That was just a mockup screen to show the new UI, it was never labeled as in-game or real time.

Right, and they thought the best way to show off a UI was to put it on something that's not the game? They might not have told people it was in game, but... I mean, it is a game, and one that existed at the time too. I'm sure they didn't go too far out of their way to ensure people didn't get the wrong impression from that image.

DOWN

Banned
Guys, Halo 3 looked good. It just didn't look as good. ESPECIALLY the visor.

And gifs are not really a good source to compare bullshot polish to.

a0naq48_sg.gif

Spazznid

Many of the shots here are for games that only had console versions at launch or ever. I agree that super-sampling on PC game screenshots is less an issue. But on consoles where they know very well that they couldn't even hit 720p on games like AC?

AC is multi platform. As in PC. My AC games look like that for the most part.

Right, and they thought the best way to show off a UI was to put it on something that's not the game? They might not have told people it was in game, but... I mean, it is a game, and one that existed at the time too. I'm sure they didn't go too far out of their way to ensure people didn't get the wrong impression from that image.

Well I guess they could have put it over the 1.0 version screen, but it would be quite pointless because the game was about to undergo a total makeup. The point is, they barely started working on the game and they showed a concept render of the UI, because that's all they could offer. I'm pretty sure that's how is labeled in the PDF that screenshot comes from.

DOWN

Banned
AC is multi platform. As in PC. My AC games look like that for the most part.

Maybe you didn't read my post or didn't know that the AC screens used as examples here are the ones that launched without PC versions as console titles before they eventually got them?

DOWN

Banned

crozier

That Zelda shot has fantastic art direction, but absolutely nothing looks like it would be beyond the capability of a Wii U.

velociraptor

only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is FFXIII

yKgWwxq.jpg

Bullshot. (notice the more advanced lighting, as well as the detail in the hair and clothing)

eOUMz10.jpg

Final.

However this might qualify more as a development downgrade (ala Dark Souls 2)...?
That basically looks the same.

Dark Souls 2 on the other hand represents a 'generational' difference.

Top Bottom