• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite/greatest bullshots in gaming history

mik

mik is unbeatable
Pic is like 9 years old and games still don't look this good.

Madden definitely looks better and more detailed than that teaser does. What it can't do--and will never be able to do--is match the drama, lighting, camera angles, etc. from that trailer. To do that would render the game unplayable.

velociraptor

Dirt 2

918715-955087_20081120_003.jpg

933606-955086_20090220_005.jpg

933604-955086_20090220_003.jpg

haha codemasters are the worst offenders.

image_188407_thumb_wide940.jpg

image_300161_fit_940.jpg

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is FFXIII

yKgWwxq.jpg

Bullshot. (notice the more advanced lighting, as well as the detail in the hair and clothing)

eOUMz10.jpg

Final.

However this might qualify more as a development downgrade (ala Dark Souls 2)...?

C'mon. There is some difference but the development and final versions are basically the same. If bullshots meant this kind of a downgrade, I wouldn't even be angry.

Shin-Ra

I never really understood the outrage with halo 2 and 3 reveals.
It's cutscenes and I don't remember cutscenes being much worse in final games.
I never thought either halo reveal was much more impressive than retail. Different yes, but I don't remember the huge gap. I might need to watch h2 and 3 cutscenes again, though.
Well for one, shadows in the retail game looked closer to this:

ibjwk60TW9E6J.jpg

than this or this:

HTupolev

C'mon. There is some difference but the development and final versions are basically the same. If bullshots meant this kind of a downgrade, I wouldn't even be angry.
FFXIII's early imagery showed much higher polygon counts on dynamic objects, but didn't have the 2xMSAA that the final game does.

In some ways the early stuff looks more impressive, though considering the 3-year gap between the images that featured some incredibly bad development hell, IMO it's sort of shocking how similar everything looks. A downgrade in dynamic object polycounts isn't that weird anyway considering that the final game has its cameras overall farther back.

The FFXIII stuff isn't remotely on the same level as most of the other games people bring up in threads like this.

Griss

I don't need to tell you that the following resolution and AA were not possible on the PS3. Team Ninja always release these kinds of supersampled (I think) bullshots.

Other than the res and AA, though, the shot is perfectly legit as far as I can tell. And I don't doubt that shots like this moved a few copies. (I purposefully chose the least lewd one.)

Converse

Banned
CannonO said:
Ubisoft is the biggest offender, by far.

If there is one thing this thread has cemented, it's this. Man. I knew they were bad, but seeing their bullshot history all laid out like this is a different story. Next time I see a screen from Ubi, I'll know that I might as well be looking at concept art.

Also, the desperation some posters have for discrediting the Wii U in all respects (in this case with the interactive tech demos running on actual hardware, which I went hands-on with at E3 2011) is reaching comical levels.

mikeyw85

Banned
Leading up to the GameCube aunch there were shots released that got me hyped. Stuff like Eternal Darkness looking awesome. It didn't turn out this way :/ Can't find the shots though.

Futaba

That's from a playable build according to the team, though. Who knows how good it will look on release, but it is from a far along playable game, nonetheless.

With not a single hands-on play through from anyone in the press, and no direct confirmation that it was running on a retail unit (and not a high end pc behind a cupboard), I reserve a high level of skepticism.

All we have seen is the same video of the same sequence, the camera movement and complete lack of any form of difference in any of the videos of it add to my skepticism.
The icing on the cake is the screenshot of one of the animators working on that particular scene in Maya, too.

Anteater

That's from a playable build according to the team, though. Who knows how good it will look on release, but it is from a far along playable game, nonetheless.

I think it's doable but some of the screenshots are probably still bullshots:

If they can pull it off at that resolution and quality then it would be really cool. They look amazing.

DOWN

Banned
With not a single hands-on play through from anyone in the press, and no direct confirmation that it was running on a retail unit (and not a high end pc behind a cupboard), I reserve a high level of skepticism.

All we have seen is the same video of the same sequence, the camera movement and complete lack of any form of difference in any of the videos of it add to my skepticism.
The icing on the cake is the screenshot of one of the animators working on that particular scene in Maya, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it looks better than the final game. That said, is it possible that the cutscenes are pre-rendered like Uncharted and thus allow for touch-up?

I guess I just think it's hard to judge when we don't have the real game out, so it can't be really called that far-fetched yet to me.

TUROK

This was the original

ih7c4ffqyGAve.png

This is what it released as (hell, even this shot is higher res than the real game)

Voi_7.jpg

The public found one of those visuals way less dazzling.

The funny part about it is that the Halo 3 beta had the detail map of the E3 Chief intact. Then they changed it because they thought it looked better how it was in the final version. I'll never understand that.

soontroll

Banned

If they can pull it off at that resolution and quality then it would be really cool. They look amazing.

Probably? No way. The IQ gives me the impression that it's been downsampled from a ridiculous resolution.

FFXIII's early imagery showed much higher polygon counts on dynamic objects, but didn't have the 2xMSAA that the final game does.

In some ways the early stuff looks more impressive, though considering the 3-year gap between the images that featured some incredibly bad development hell, IMO it's sort of shocking how similar everything looks. A downgrade in dynamic object polycounts isn't that weird anyway considering that the final game has its cameras overall farther back.

The FFXIII stuff isn't remotely on the same level as most of the other games people bring up in threads like this.

The OP asked what my 'favorite' one was.
All the other good ones I can think of were already posted.

So c'mon. Buy me a beer.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Quantum-Break-Real-Time.jpg

Yeah, I went there.

Really curious to see what this looks like in actual gameplay. Not saying it's impossible but it's far and away the best looking game on Xbox One if the E3 video from last year is anything to judge by.

Shin-Ra

ibtNIlkH9m9Kyv.jpg
Yep, this is going to see a considerable drop in image quality.

Shin-Ra

What's wrong with RE5?

My memory is telling me the game did look like this.
Nope.

http://youtu.be/1o1majjN1N4

The environment's much more lavishly detailed with junk there than anywhere in the finished game. Lighting, depth of field and heat haze are higher quality, perfect shadows. Chris' model is different artistically but much higher poly with even the stubble modelled. Image quality and motion smoothness are a huge step up.

khaaan

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there some hubub over Splinter Cell screenshots for the Wii?

XERgu9D.jpg

YmpiWyN.jpg

And this is what we supposedly got:

dnT6C7q.jpg

Top Bottom