• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Already stuck at the junk heap.
I have to search for the mother and take the elevator to 2F. But there's absolutely nothing to do. I go to the final room but nothing happens. Shouldn't there be a boss? Where is the mother?

Is this a glitch or am I just stupid?

edit: After more time with the game, I'm pretty convinced that the PS3 version is sub hd. It's pretty noticeable when looking at the home menu. Doesn't bother me a lot because the game is not a looker anyway. Would be interesting to know if the 360 version is equally blurry.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Okay so I haven't kept up to date on this game very much. So there's two versions in Japan? What was the reason for changing the main character? And we get the 360 version only I see.

Are they keeping Kaine a hermaphrodite in the American version? That's something they'd normally change for a domestic release, no?

schennmu said:
edit: After more time with the game, I'm pretty convinced that the PS3 version is sub hd. It's pretty noticeable when looking at the home menu. Doesn't bother me a lot because the game is not a looker anyway. Would be interesting to know if the 360 version is equally blurry.

Disregard that. It just turns out that the game scales REALLY bad to 1080p. Maybe it goes automatically to 1080i or something. The game box also only mentions 720p, so it makes sense.

Anyway, setting the system to 720p makes a night and day difference. I guess it's hd after all on PS3 :)

omg rite said:
Okay so I haven't kept up to date on this game very much. So there's two versions in Japan? What was the reason for changing the main character? And we get the 360 version only I see.

Are they keeping Kaine a hermaphrodite in the American version? That's something they'd normally change for a domestic release, no?

Gestalt (western version) is basically the "original". Replicant was made because the devs were afraid that the japanese customers would not want to play as some "old guy". Kaine is unchanged afaik.

schennmu said:
Gestalt (western version) is basically the "original". Replicant was made because the devs were afraid that the japanese customers would not want to play as some "old guy". Kaine is unchanged afaik.

If that's really the case, then why wouldn't they simply let you select which character you'd rather play as?

Jigsaw

Banned
schennmu said:
Gestalt (western version) is basically the "original". Replicant was made because the devs were afraid that the japanese customers would not want to play as some "old guy".

do people really believe this?japan liked old snake,america/europe hated girly raiden

i know they said in one of the early interviews that they weren't sure if it was going to be released in japan,but comon,this screams bullshit...this is square enix we're talking about,they dont give a shit about the rest of the world and only care about japan (see localization times for dq9 or bbs,shoddy 360 port of ff13,international or final mix versions of every ff or kh which never left japan)

not to mention this game was planned as a drakengard sequel from the very beginning,but yeah this game was mainly for the western audiences

Kyoufu

There is nothing in this game that says "Hello, I was made for the Western audience!".

Conan feels tacked on and extremely out of place. Anyone who watches the one scene where Kaine joins you will see that.

schennmu said:
Already stuck at the junk heap.
I have to search for the mother and take the elevator to 2F. But there's absolutely nothing to do. I go to the final room but nothing happens. Shouldn't there be a boss? Where is the mother?

Is this a glitch or am I just stupid?

Anyone?

Jigsaw said:
do people really believe this?japan liked old snake,america/europe hated girly raiden

i know they said in one of the early interviews that they weren't sure if it was going to be released in japan,but comon,this screams bullshit...this is square enix we're talking about,they dont give a shit about the rest of the world and only care about japan (see localization times for dq9 or bbs,shoddy 360 port of ff13,international or final mix versions of every ff or kh which never left japan)

not to mention this game was planned as a drakengard sequel from the very beginning,but yeah this game was mainly for the western audiences

Yeah, it seems weird to imagine this game not getting a japan release and I doubt it was ever a serious possibility.

I really like the Gestalt version and do not miss the girly Nier. Do the japanese feel the same? I have no idea. Would Square Enix produce an altered version for their home audience without proper market research? Probably.

Actually I'm still happy and confused that this game got a western release at all :D

schennmu said:

You're meant to go to B1 :) It's the first elevator you come across.

Also in regards to the fishing, you're meant to wait until the rod gets pulled sharply then hold X. Then you move the stick in the other direction. It's incredibly easy.

Baloonatic said:

Also in regards to the fishing, you're meant to wait until the rod gets pulled sharply then hold X. Then you move the stick in the other direction. It's incredibly easy.

Wow, how could I miss this, thx man!

Kyoufu

Baloonatic said:

Heres a few problems with it:

1. The fishing pole consists of about 5 polygons, so I end up turning the camera all the way to the side so I can see it being pulled. Which in turn makes me lose the fish because I can't tell which direction I'm supposed to pull it :lol

2. The fish don't always pull sharply so it takes multiple tries to even get a hook.

Kyoufu said:
Heres a few problems with it:

1. The fishing pole consists of about 5 polygons, so I end up turning the camera all the way to the side so I can see it being pulled. Which in turn makes me lose the fish because I can't tell which direction I'm supposed to pull it :lol

2. The fish don't always pull sharply so it takes multiple tries to even get a hook.

You just move the stick in the direction your character is moving.

They always pull sharply eventually, sometimes it can take three tugs but it's pretty clear when they do it. I always move the camera to the side as well.

I have yet to try fishing and gardening, but boar riding (and drifting) is pretty cool :D

Killing that boar is a different story though. (Until I found out how to trick it into doing something very stupid ...)

Axiom

This game really picked up right about the Forest and hasn't let up since. Happily ignoring the fishing sidequests since there's only been one mandatory one.
Got to say the isometric dungeon crawler section was the least fun time I've had with combat in the game though.

With what has happened so far I can't even imagine the game with the brother in place if the father. It fits quite well, character design aside a father going through hell and back to save his daughter just works.

I'd also say the translation is more noteworthy than the music, especially given what would have been involved getting the forest section down.
I've not been this impressed with translation work since Lost Odyssey.

So, I finished the forrest thing, I'm currently at the isometric dungeon.

To be honest, it's one of my favorite rpg this gen. Really. Lots of Zelda vibes, fighting is good, story is good. Graphics have their own style... Many sidequest, optional stuff...

I don't understand the lack of communication about the title. I imagined a linear action rpg, when it's more a Zelda like, huge world, etc...

The good point is that I disovered everything by myself, n the game, but, I give you an advice, this is a very good game. Buy it.

I hope DLC will add serious stuff (dungeon ? Weapons ?)

Sacha

I'm happy that they were so secretive with the gameplay elements, discovering them while playing is just so good. This game is so much more than a simple Action-RPG. I love it. If this game was a woman, I would marry her.

matmanx1

I'll be picking up the PS3 version next week. I pre-ordered it awhile back but haven't really been sure if I wanted to pick it up or not until just recently. Honestly it sounds too weird and intriguing to skip.

Only problem at this point is my backlog. I've had to actively trim some stuff in the last few weeks as it was really piling up.

Wow, the writing in this game is intelligent and hilarious! The city of
Facade
is amazing :lol

Why is it that everything in this regard is leaps and bounds beyond FFXIII? (Or every Final Fantasy released during the past years). Also the game is not linear and has towns *cough*. But lets not get into this.

Also good to see some cursing in an RPG. <3 Kainé. She's my antidote to Vanille.

I'm not progressing very fast because I am doing as many quests as possible. It's kind of sad that the game takes some time to really show its' true potential. The first few hours are not bad, but pretty slow. Now everything is really taking off. Also the boss battles are really really good.

JonStark said:
I don't understand the lack of communication about the title. I imagined a linear action rpg, when it's more a Zelda like, huge world, etc...

- Graphics so so
- Relatively unknown japanese dev
- no marketing

Ridley327

I don't know if Cavia really counts as unknown since they've done games for companies like Capcom, Namco and even Microsoft, but I do agree that they've never been a very buzzed-about developer.

Kyoufu

I love the writing in this game. Really quality stuff that I'm not used to in a JRPG.

If only the game didn't suffer from low budget ugliness, because it is a very solid game in every area except for visuals.

Kyoufu said:
I love the writing in this game. Really quality stuff that I'm not used to in a JRPG.

If only the game didn't suffer from low budget ugliness, because it is a very solid game in every area except for visuals.

Yep, with a bit more overall polish and especially graphics this could be AAA.

What really stands out for me is the crappy tutorial system. Come on! :lol

Damn, my Play-Asia order of Replicant is still not shipped.

What are the chances I didn't make the first shipment and missed out on the soundtrack pre-order bonus? :[

RS4- said:
Wow fuck, fishing is the worst part of the game so far.

It's easy. Pull the left stick all the way down as soon as the fish bites. If it moves left or right, adjust slightly into the opposite direction. Just watch the health bar and make sure it's depleting all the time. If it's low enough, press X/A > Voilà.

Oyashiro

Hm... so far, the reviews don't seem as bad as I was expecting them to be. I'm still not 100% sold on it, so I think I'll wait a bit more.

Has anyone finished the game yet and can report how many hours long it is? I'm down for another RPG after FFXIII, but not looking to spend another 60 hours on a game :lol

RS4-

schennmu said:
It's easy. Pull the left stick all the way down as soon as the fish bites. If it moves left or right, adjust slightly into the opposite direction. Just watch the health bar and make sure it's depleting all the time. If it's low enough, press X/A > Voilà.

Yeah, initiating it isn't bad. It's just the random (often) occasion that when I do get a bite, before I can even hit a direction, it's already over :lol

Ridley327

You can beat it in under 15 hours if you skip a lot of the side-quests (it's even an achievement). I think the guy putting together the achievement guide said that it's probably going to take about 40 hours if you wanted to get all of the endings and the side-quest stuff.

john tv said:
Thanks for the kind words on the script -- you guys rock. :)

I had a feeling you guys were behind it. Keep up the excellent woruku over there!

"Woruku" means work. /MH3

Kyoufu

john tv said:

Its...perfect. My eyes get all teary when I think about it, its that good.

The voice-acting is excellent too. Weiss (Liam O'Brien) and Kaine's VA really shine.

Oyashiro said:
Hm... so far, the reviews don't seem as bad as I was expecting them to be. I'm still not 100% sold on it, so I think I'll wait a bit more.

I've only played it for 12 hours so far, but the only major downside to the game is the low budget visuals during gameplay. The villages are monotonous, bland, dull with some signs of popup. Otherwise, the script, audio and gameplay are top notch.

Sacha

riceandbeans said:
Has anyone finished the game yet and can report how many hours long it is? I'm down for another RPG after FFXIII, but not looking to spend another 60 hours on a game :lol

Just beat the game in around 17 hours. Did 25% of the side quests, didn't bother with weapons, fishing and farming for my first playthrough.

All in all, amazing experience. This game is so well-crafted, I felt that everything was very satisfying gameplay-and-story-wise, but at the same time I want moar. Started my second playthrough, and there's already
new stuff to expand on the other characters
. Can't wait to see the other endings. I can't stress how much awesomeness there is in this game, it's probably one of my favourite game of all time.

john tv said:

How much freedom were you given with this project? Did you have some breathing room or were they very strict on wording and whatnot? You've mentioned this as an issue in the past so I'm curious.

Amir0x

Banned
Oyashiro said:

Why did you expect them to be bad?

Monster Hunter 1 and 2 are fantastic. Monster Hunter 3 was destined to be fantastic too!

eXistor

I borrowed it from work today. I'm instaling it as I type this. There's just something about this game that really wants me to play it. If it's good I'll buy it of course, but it depends on the next couple of hours.

tokkun

Oyashiro said:

Yeah, I am waiting for the reviews from the major outlets to come in. So far the only review from site I'm familiar with is the 6/10 from Eurogamer, and a 6 from them is not a particularly good score.

Ridley327

The text of that review is a lot more important than the score, as it describes what's wrong with the game and why it's still worth playing in spite of it.

tokkun

Ridley327 said:
The text of that review is a lot more important than the score, as it describes what's wrong with the game and why it's still worth playing in spite of it.

Except the review text actually says that they don't fully recommend playing it:

Yet while it's hard not to admire a game that dementedly throws so much at the player in an attempt to make something stick, Nier's faults are too many and too severe to wholeheartedly recommend.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
Why did you expect them to be bad?

Monster Hunter 1 and 2 are fantastic. Monster Hunter 3 was destined to be fantastic too!
Hm.

putarorex

schennmu said:

After about 25 tries at fishing I went on here to check for some tips. When I went back to the game to give your suggestion a try and failed the first time, the game says "two days later" and gives me the fish. :D

Besides the fishing, I am really digging the game. I went with the Xbox version because the PS3 version was sold out. The older guy doesn't bother me and I think I would actually prefer him over the bishonen type.

Top Bottom