• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're Microsoft at E3 hypothetically - what do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way things are purportedly shaking out it seems we're going to get the Nintendo NX and the PlayStation PS4 NEO with blowout announcements and game demos showing off the new hotness etc.

If you're Microsoft and your new power console won't see the light of day until potentially the 2017 holidays, what do you do? How do you keep from getting overshadowed at every turn in favour of your competitors?

Do they tape out a prototype and yell "Just you wait!"?

Do they focus on a slim with a lower price tag?

Do they just hang tight, show their game lineup for holiday 2016 and do half ass hololens demos?

Do they make a splash on the services side by announcing some new features?

Do they show off PC games on Windows 10?

We'll probably get some combination of all of this.

What would you do?

All they can do is put out the best games they have and hope that if any PS4K backlash occurs, they can pick up some of the good will.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I lower the price on a sexy new slim console with 4K video/apps and show impressive graphics and say "look what the console can still pump out", and "we'll start a true next generation in a year or two."

I lower the price on a sexy new slim console with 4K video/apps and show impressive graphics and say "look what the console can still pump out", and "We'll start a true next generation in a year or two."

I think that's prob all they can do right now.

All they can do is show the games like they have been and hope there's something there to drive excitement.

I mean there's nothing else they can do unless they buy out a 3rd party exclusive, but lately this strategy has backfired on them, both financially and driving more negativity for them.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think that's prob all they can do right now.
I am going by the rumors that Microsoft aren't as far into the next console as Sony are...for me personally I wish they'd have a fancy new console now. But if they don't, it would be pointless to launch a mid-generation console in 2017, shortly after PS4 Neo. Either launch it at the same time, or just wait a bit more and launch a new generation.

Jay Seven

Banned
People counting on a PS4K backlash are going to be hilariously disappointed.
As for MS, just keep blurring the console and PC line and pray people suddenly care.

Blobbers

Do a reverse Tretton

Phil excitedly:
"The XBox One wont have you wondering which version of console to buy"
"Every game will be optimized to the max on XBox One"
"And furthermore, we will not be releasing a $399 version of XBox One this holiday"

*a clap here and there*

Philip: dang I was sure that would work

Sydle

Has it been heavily rumored that we'll see Neo at E3? Wouldn't that potentially crater PS4 sales? I think it's more likely to be behind closed doors at E3 with a special event early next year before its release.

Nintendo is a non issue. NX is not going to lure any Xbox fans to it.

JimiNutz

Banned
MS need to move into movies.
Pull a Marvel and self fund a Halo film with no expense spared.
Start the MSCU (Microsoft Studios Cinematic Universe).

Halo
Perfect Dark
Killer Instinct
Gears of War
Conker
Crackdown
Battletoads

So many good movies.

Chobel

Has it been heavily rumored that we'll see Neo at E3? Wouldn't that potentially crater PS4 sales? I think it's more likely to be behind closed doors at E3 with a special event early next year before its release.

Nintendo is a non issue. NX is not going to lure any Xbox fans to it.

Yes, and the release is supposedly this Fall.

Basically what Sony did during launch e3, just hammer in how bad of an idea the NEO is

Not a bad idea actually.

I would just suggest MS keep doing what they've been doing. Nothing is going to change so just accept your position and prepare for the next generation behind the scenes.

Edit - People expecting backlash for NEO are in for a rude awakening. The public is not going to give a crap. Don't let the Gaf echo chamber convince you otherwise.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Do a reverse Tretton

Phil excitedly:
"And furthermore, we will not be releasing a $399 version of XBox One this holiday"

*a clap here and there*

Actually you might not be that far off.

GHG

Reintroduce the original Xbox One DRM plans. That way all the people who thought it was going to be a good idea can finally get the console they deserve.

Alx

Games, games, games. Just place a big focus on how there's still so much good stuff coming out real soon for Xbox One.

This. Games and cool features, that would make people want to use their Xbox (Cortana and universal apps having some potential for that). And if possible stuff that is available now or not too late down the road.

ironcreed

Banned
Games.

All this talk about new specs and VR is cool and all. But what i really want is a game that blows me away.

Indeed. I already bought the hardware... give me the software to justify the purchase. Another Xbox already is the last thing I want. Same with PlayStation.

I am going by the rumors that Microsoft aren't as far into the next console as Sony are...for me personally I wish they'd have a fancy new console now. But if they don't, it would be pointless to launch a mid-generation console in 2017, shortly after PS4 Neo. Either launch it at the same time, or just wait a bit more and launch a new generation.

Effectively with these node shrinks, Sony already is on a new generation for Neo. Microsoft can't somehow wait a little bit longer and get massively larger performance.

They are bound by the same limitations that Sony is in terms of the cost/power equation.

Unless something drastically changes in hardware, I suspect iterative updates will become the norm rather than generational.

weekev

Banned
Half life 3 console exclusive
Banjo Threeie
Conkers hungover hijinks
Halo 6
Agent console exclusive

show more exclusive titles and exclusive content than any of the competition and make my e3 all about the games and the experience you will get on my console.

I would just suggest MS keep doing what they've been doing. Nothing is going to change so just accept your position and prepare for the next generation behind the scenes.

Edit - People expecting backlash for NEO are in for a rude awakening. The public is not going to give a crap. Don't let the Gaf echo chamber convince you otherwise.
Damn my plans are ruined thanks.

They won't they can't be that dumb to do something like that. Sony got the leverage of not giving a fuck since ps4 is selling that much but it's gotta be a slim at most

This assumes that releasing new hardware is dumb. I suspect it won't be.

Sony has been on top of the ball all generation and I don't think this time is any different. Microsoft risks getting left behind again here.

Memento

Do a reverse Tretton

Phil excitedly:

*a clap here and there*

LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom