• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're Microsoft at E3 hypothetically - what do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duxxy3

Xbox One slim for $250
Continue to support the system with new games and old games through BC
OS upgrades
Xbox live upgrades

Really that's about it. We're around the mid-way point of the generation. I am not in the PS4K/XB1.5 camp at all. The system is weak, but I'm not dumping the thing so damn early. I want at least a few more solid years.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Games games games. Just what they have been doing since last 3 years. They are killing it.

Hardware wise,

Xbox one slim is overdue for sure and Xbox One base model without disk drive. Something to compete with Apple TV

Super easy win for Microsoft:

Drop multiplayer fee
Drop Xbone price to $200
Make a few killer 1st/2nd party games

They could aim for the casual audience that doesn't care about rez and hates/won't pay for multiplayer.

I don't think Microsoft should even bother competing with the ps4k. I think the hardcore audience is long gone for them and there's probably more money in just selling to the masses a cheaper/more cost effective Xbone.

Xbox One Slim.
Lower Price.
Major games with Xbox Live Gold.
Announce new exclusives, both in existing franchises and new ones to make people excited.
Not splitting up the user base with some stupid hardware upgrade.

I'd focus on making the Xbox an accessory to peoples gaming PC. Xbox One game works on PC.

Instead of trying to divide and split a fanbase that doesn't want to be split, I would use Xbox on Windows as a opportunity to enhance the existing stores (Steam, Origin, Uplay) and the specter of windows gaming apps, Discord, Geforce gaming experience, fraps, and so on.
I'd work with the other store fronts to make a uni-login, where you can be enabled on your Origin, GoG Galaxy, Uplay, Steam and so on, and display various things. Trying to consolidate everything and make it easily integrated into windows.

And if then, that the UI is great, and it is easier to navigate through all the content stream of an xbox PC app like a giant RSS gaming feed, that also supports MMOs and online games, what you'd end up was an actually hub that enhanced your ability to navigate.
And if there also would be a propiertary software that would pull achievements from the different platforms to make up a shared tally gamerscore, that would just be even more swell.

Then I would actually not sigh and stress out over the idea of yet another platform, username and friends list and currency and all the bullshit that comes with it.

Microsoft as the worlds largest software developer and the operating system provider have this ability to streamline our existing gaming content hubs into one cohesive package. I'd cancel UWP. That thing sounds like a stick in the wheel. I don't need it to be more difficult.

The incentive is of course that more and more people are joining PC gaming, and PC gaming is the largest reason to buy a PC over a mac. I'm getting so tired of the gaming on mac bullshit. The Mac Cider Wrap clients for FFXIV and GW2 are pissing me off. I'm stick of the emulation, and Apples willingness to keep ignoring the gaming spectrum.
Microsoft should treat gamers better and see the monetary value in appeasing them on Windows, even if they dont get the benefits from Steam, Origin and so on.
But to put in their own store in a overcrowded established dominion. No.
If I was going to buy Quantum Break it would because they would have to make a non-intrusive means of delivering it without signing up for bullshit that just makes it harder to access a shared unified games library. With the Epic Games Launcher also recently having been added to the roster, and Amazon also cooking up their own store platform, I am getting violently agitated and annoyed at Microsoft over this. If on top of everything you also play a whole bunch of MMORPGs, then it is getting really f**king annoying. Stop making it more annoying Microsoft.

I'd focus on trying to set up promising small development studios with medium sized budgets and see how they could reimagine some of the classic franchises Microsoft has lying around. All the Rare I.Ps. Midtown Madness, Crimson Skies, Top Spin, MechAssault, Freelancer, Dungeon Siege, and so on. There is so much. Focus on smaller projects. Maybe not indie, but smaller. Try and see what new talented promising development studios can do. Get more good and smaller games out the door.

Even if its not AAA a new Mechassault or a new Jet Force Gemini would be very interesting. They'd also help upcoming smaller development studios. It would require MS to really scout for talented studios and make contracts that are a good compromise between risk and reward. If a small studio gets 5-10 million for a Midtown Madness, that is not a lot of money, but with Microsoft backing and the name recognition it could really do something positive.

Quasar

Reintroduce the original Xbox One DRM plans. That way all the people who thought it was going to be a good idea can finally get the console they deserve.

I have wondered if they'd introduce a lower cost slim model that was diskless.

Quasar

Announcing a new Xbox that isn't released imminently will kill off any sales momentum they have until it arrives. It makes sense to announce months in advance when sales are dwindling, but not right now.

Thats why I dont think Neo will get announced at e3.

Grief51

Banned
If your Microsoft at this E3 you might as well accept you are not going to make many headlines. All the focus will be on Sony with PS4K + PSVR and on Nintendo with the new NX console.

Unless Microsoft has something surprisingly amazing under development, honestly I think few people will really care a new Gears of War or Halo Wars is coming out.
Microsoft you've been outhustled my old friend...

Edit: I don't think an iterative Xbox 1.5 in 2017 will work. The shitty ESRAM in the Xbone will make compatibility quite difficult.
For Xbox to get back on top of the console race, IMO the best bet would be to launch a brand new Xbox Two in 2018 with Halo 6 as a launch game and built-in Oculus Rift support.

Shingro

I would show eclectic, unusual games with passionate audiences, even if they're a bit niche.

Something like phantom dust would be perfect.

:V

Draven143

New Project Gotham Racing
New Jet Set Radio
New MechAssault
New Crimson Skies
New Amped

I'd be extremely happy with this. Of course, none of it will ever happen.

All joking asid, the problem with Microsoft is caused by the success of the xbox 360.
For years they were ok with showing halo gears forza in e3 because they weren't forced to do something new. And the problem was that they were US centric. Yes the us is the biggest market but when u r not doing well here u need the rest of the world to carry the weight.

Sony was successful in building a worldwide brand. They were lucky to be there from the beggining that even 3rd party games feel like 1st party sony games now such as metal gear, tomb raider, final fantasy.

So when ps3 wasn't doing well in the US it was doing well somewhere else, europe, middle east, japan.

Microsoft should have spent their glory days during the 360 to creat new ip's and exclusive. Not rely on their 3 big titles and money hat call of duty. Now they are in a hard place that i honestly think they can't do anything.

They cant compete with sony brand worldwide
They cant use nostalgia
They dont have exclusives that have longevity aside from the expected 3

When it comes to video games u cant run the company purely on generating profits. You have to creat relationships with your fans that lives on to make sure they keep coming back when u need them.

Nintendo for example and im speaking for me, yes i knew the wii u isnt the best console, i know im paying 300 and only getting nintendo games but i said, nintendo you gave me the best years of my childhood thank you i will support you now that u needed me.

Sorry for the long read.

MS sure is in a interesting spot. I guess if they have a XB1.5 console coming this year we will hear some more noise before E3 but right now all we know is they are working on stuff and tossing around ideas. Nothing that says for sure a new more powerful box is coming "soon"

Right now I see a Slim XB1 at a surprisingly low price (250?) being announced. Didnt a wifi board already leak?

XB1.5? Not sure. I could easily see MS just coasting through this year and next and doing something bigger next year. Ditch the XB1 entirely and position a new box as a true next gen box while also offering full backwards comparability.

The normal assortment of 1th and 3rd party games will be there. Maybe a new Insomnaic game? Maybe a 3rd party deal switches sides like Destiny or Watch Dogs. I dunno.

This E3 is going to be a weird one for everyone. Not sure what to expect

New Project Gotham Racing
New Jet Set Radio
New MechAssault
New Crimson Skies
New Amped

I'd be extremely happy with this. Of course, none of it will ever happen.

Didnt MS sell amped to Take 2? (who never did anything with it)

ttocs

They will come out and bash the PS4.5, as they should. They'll basically do what Sony did to them when the announcements were made. There is a lot of negative press around the 4.5 and they can use that.

They will come out and bash the PS4.5, as they should. They'll basically do what Sony did to them when the announcements were made. There is a lot of negative press around the 4.5 and they can use that.

This.

If they dont have a 1.5 box coming this year then they should lean into the bad press Sony will get. And while they are at it talk about how great 360 Backwards Comparability is and brag about the great games on Games with Gold.

It might be too late to turn the tide for the XB1 but getting a bunch of goodwill now can pay them back big time when they do have a new box to show.

A bit of justifiable trash talk at the right time can do wonders.

That plus a Slim and cheap XB1 announcement would be a nice combo punch.

badb0y

Only thing they can do is spin it unless they have their own upgraded console coming in to the market. Surprisingly, there's a possibility of Xbox One being the weakest console coming out of E3.

It's a risky one. They can try, but if Sony follows up immediately after with a presentation that puts everyone's concerns about PS4K to bed, and the product itself ends up being absolutely awesome -- well, they're going to look a bit silly afterwards.

We'll see, though. I can certainly see them trying something like this if they don't have anything of their own to show.

Bizzquik

1. announce Xbox Slim
  2. lots of demos of announced exclusive games
  3. reveal several significant titles for Backward Compatibility (available immediately)
  4. briefly touch on upcoming Windows 10 gaming improvements
  5. demo this summer's upcoming update of Live
  6. reveal a brand new IP to close out the show
....keep quiet plans of releasing a new Xbox console in November 2017, with full Xbox One game lineup backward compatibility thanks to their shared Windows 10 backbone.

Love how some post downplay ps4k! You guys are making me laugh, sincerely!
How can MS downplay something Sony hasn't announced yet (not to mention Sony is after MS)?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
The level of pre-E3 anxiety speculation threads in the forum is too high right now. It feels worse than usual this year because we're potentially anticipating three or more hardware announcements and so far companies have been tight-lipped. There's a space for speculation on GAF, but if half the forum is filled with "What if UNANNOUNCED PRODUCT does XYZ/costs $$/is supported/isn't supported? What could company What do you expect Will you buy Would you consider Will they announce What if they don't Are you ready for" threads where people just nervously anticipate stuff, it really clogs up the forum and makes it harder for people to find threads for games they're actually playing or actual news or announcements.

If you're considering making a "What do you think is going to happen?" thread, broadly, please check the front page and ask if you see other threads like that and really decide whether or not the thread is adding to the hubris and texture of videogame history. No hard feelings about the lock. See you at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom