• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

Willectro

Banned
Glad to see Twitch getting another major competitor, but so far Youtube gaming is pretty underwhelming. I really dislike how they are featuring existing youtube channels and was (stupidly) hoping the streaming would be at an arms length from everything else, but it doesn't seem like. Sounds like there are going to be issues with copyright shit and the interface is just awful.

All that said, I really enjoy Twitch and will stick with it for the foreseeable future. I could be wrong, but I feel like the full implementation of HTML5 will be make or break for Twitch.

Blues1990

I'm expecting the Content ID technology to backfire on this. Hell, just singing the song "Happy Birthday" to another will probably have your live stream cut by it's ankles.

Nokterian

This layout is complete and utter garbage holy shit. Just show me a grid view of the most popular channels right now and what games they're playing. Shit isn't hard.

My exact thought it is garbage.

I'm expecting the Content ID technology to backfire on this. Hell, just singing the song "Happy Birthday" to another will probably have your live stream cut by it's ankles.

That's why i will avoid it for the moment and keep streaming on hitbox and yes even twitch.

JMTHEFOX

What the fuck?! This can actually happen?! Please be false since that is public domain iirc!

Stoze

My thoughts so far:

The idea of making the service for gaming in general makes it a lot weaker when comparing with Twitch for livestreaming imo. For example, the Trending Games and Channels on the sides are trending based on videos/subs and not current live statistics. Clicking More on the front page and seeing all the live channels is bad, you can only see 9 channels or so at a time and they aren't organized tightly by viewer counts, layout reminds me of Metro apps. Even without comparing to Twitch, the UI and navigation in general is very poorly designed compared to just regular Youtube. To cap it off my browser has been stuttering with streams on.

Quality is great as well as the DVR feature though, so there's that. ContentID afterwards kills streaming Nintendo games or with your own music which seems like a big con for streamers.

For anyone streaming, how much control do you have over the chat? The Google account name chat seems unappealing.

finalflame

What about the UI on desktop specifically do you prefer? I'm actually at a loss as to what use case flows are actually improved.

I don't think it's so much that I prefer anything in particular, rather I just think the UI works for everything I'm trying to do. If i need to search for content, big search bar up top. Want to see my channels? Hover right, it's right there. Want to see trending/my games? Hover left, it's all there.

Stream UI itself also seems very straightforward: large video area, chat to the right with a toggle for detail/suggested streams, and big thumbs up/subscribe/etc buttons at the bottom, and a conveniently placed donation button next to the chat box.

I dunno, I guess I'm not blown away by it, but everything just works? I am just more interested in what experiences are painful for users complaining in this thread, as I bet Google has a team of UX researchers who probably labored over the layout and design of this for months, focus tested, etc, before arriving at what they have, and to me it just seems to work without any major issues. But then some people in this thread are talking about it like some kind of totally nonfunctional turd. I just don't see it.

fugimax

For those worried about content ID, please wait and see. We've made a lot of improvements that should result in a much better experience for viewers and streamers.

We'll be evaluating any issues very closely and feel free to raise any incidents in this thread.

Blues1990

What the fuck?! This can actually happen?! Please be false since that is public domain iirc!

Unfortunately, the system that YouTube has in place is hilariously awful. One guy that I used to watch, who had an awesome channel that showcase his expertise in carpentry and had a multitude of tutorials, had to close it. The reason was as he couldn't stand the bullshit with the music copyright strikes he was receiving, what with a lot of cars driving pass his shop blaring music. In one case, there was a car driving pass his house playing 'Let's Go Crazy' by Prince. Then, BOOM, the video was taken off. And this video was showing how to properly clean & maintain a saw blade.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
For those worried about content ID, please wait and see. We've made a lot of improvements that should result in a much better experience for viewers and streamers.

We'll be evaluating any issues very closely and feel free to raise any incidents in this thread.

Hey there. While we have you here, can I also ask you a question about Youtube's Fan Funding ? Why is that feature only available in certain countries ? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in Canada. Any plan to bring it over ? Thanks.

What about chat moderation and tools and such? Any news on improving the chat experience because as it is right now, it's.....:(

shira

Hey OP why not make a list of NeoGAF youtube streamers with fav games in OP.

Would be nice to click on some GAF friendly chat

Here's my question:

What happens when someone decides to stream some sort of Nintendo game, and their stream gets walloped by ContentID and taken down by Nintendo? Does that count as a copyright strike against the streamer's YouTube channel then?

Or say you stream some music, will ContentID again slam your channel with a strike? Currently Twitch lets you be live with whatever bgm you have playing, but then mutes the matched audio on VODs.

If I decide to start up my streaming career again, I think it will be youtube live. I like that you don't have to be a partner to get different quality options. If nothing else, I hope youtube provides competition for twitch to implement features like this.

Is there any way to change the name I'm using for YouTube Gaming? Right now, my Google account uses my real first and last name. I desperately want to change this for streaming purposes. I can't seem to find any way to do so. With all the SWAT threats, doxxing, etc. etc., I assume YouTube must have figured out a way to let us change our names without doing so for our entire Google account...

fugimax

Hey there. While we have you here, can I also ask you a question about Youtube's Fan Funding ? Why is that feature only available in certain countries ? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in Canada. Any plan to bring it over ? Thanks.
Short answer? Each country has its own companies and laws you need to work with. There's no one way to just make it work everywhere easily. It's legal and business issues.

We'll get there, just will take time..

fugimax

Is there any way to change the name I'm using for YouTube Gaming? Right now, my Google account uses my real first and last name. I desperately want to change this for streaming purposes. I can't seem to find any way to do so. With all the SWAT threats, doxxing, etc. etc., I assume YouTube must have figured out a way to let us change our names without doing so for our entire Google account...
You can create a +page under your existing account that can have a unique name, URL, email, etc.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The bar on the right seems useless since it doesn't tell me what people are playing. Twitch is organized very logical according to what the user wants to do which is usually to watch streams of particular games. Running a bunch of superfluous related video content together with streams seems to misunderstand what people want from game streaming and make it a pain to navigate. The game specific pages seem designed to better serve video creators by frustrating people looking for live streams. I appreciate that it will be good for some people to discover video content but trying to serve everyone at the same time makes navigation a chore. I don't want to explore recorded video content - I want to look at a stream. The site in general is too busy. Copy Twitch more.

Xyber

Should be able to change it here, I did so maybe 2 months back. https://www.youtube.com/advanced_settings

Maximo

Anyway to get around it only being in the US or any plana for other countries soon? (Australia)

GeekMarty

How many times have you sung "Happy Birthday" to someone without knowing it was copyrighted? Perform it publicly, and you have to pay a fee to the copyright owner Warner/Chappell Music.

Of course, people sing the song at birthday parties without paying a royalty. But if you want to, say, put the song in a movie? You have to pony up.

“Warner/Chappell charges sometimes $100,000 or more for a major motion picture use of the song."

Source: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/why-singing-happy-birthday-can-come-fee

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hey OP why not make a list of NeoGAF youtube streamers with fav games in OP.

Would be nice to click on some GAF friendly chat

Yeah I think this has already been answered by another member. I don't want to accidentally piss off the mods here. Just want to keep it strictly informative about Youtube Gaming since it's something new and exciting. I will do my best to update OP as much as I can. I have already put up a little FAQ section that I've been updating consistently so far :) Hopefully some commonly asked questions are answered there.

Should be able to change it here, I did so maybe 2 months back. https://www.youtube.com/advanced_settings

That will let me change my Google+ information, which is essentially what my Google account in general uses. I don't necessarily want to alter that information - it uses my real name, and I'm okay with that.

Can I create a proxy account, linked to my real account, that I use for YouTube Gaming? When YouTube Gaming was first revealed I thought it was indicated we'd be able to create separate accounts for it.

Maximo

Yeah I think this has already been answered by another member. I don't want to accidentally piss off the mods here. Just want to keep it strictly informative about Youtube Gaming since it's something new and exciting. I will do my best to update OP as much as I can. I have already put up a little FAQ section that I've been updating consistently so far :) Hopefully some commonly asked questions are answered there.
Been interested in making a Youtube Gaming Community Thread for awhile now, Twitch has its own Community thread so I hope if it's allowed Youtube can get its own soon.

fugimax

Anyway to get around it only being in the US or any plana for other countries soon? (Australia)
gaming.youtube.com works anywhere ... just the mobile apps are restricted by country. technically if you sideload the app on android or have a jail broken iphone, you could find a way ..... but that's not supported (or recommended).

Exile20

opppssss

did anyone else have issues just playing videos on gaming.youtube.com? when i try to watch vids, the video player controls wont work half the time

JMTHEFOX

Believe it or not, "Happy Birthday" is not public domain. For it to appear in a show or movie, you have to pay a licensing fee.

Damn, $100k for Happy Birthday is insane.

Unfortunately, the system that YouTube has in place is hilariously awful. One guy that I used to watch, who had an awesome channel that showcase his expertise in carpentry and had a multitude of tutorials, had to close it. The reason was as he couldn't stand the bullshit with the music copyright strikes he was receiving, what with a lot of cars driving pass his shop blaring music. In one case, there was a car driving pass his house playing 'Let's Go Crazy' by Prince. Then, BOOM, the video was taken off. And this video was showing how to properly clean & maintain a saw blade.
That is some crazy shit right here. It goes to show how Content ID is garbage.

Nokterian

Kotaku has a nice article about it.

The whole system just fucking sucks no this is not competition towards twitch not by a longshot.

http://kotaku.com/youtubes-approach-to-copyright-claims-could-scare-off-s-1726757133

Justified

This article isn't accurate. I can't go into details, but there are several assumptions in this article that are incorrect that lead to wildly incorrect conclusions..

I hope so, because I plan to use Youtube to stream and Upload my gaming Vids, had my channel sine 2006 I would hate to lose it due to 3 strikes

jediyoshi

I hope so, because I plan to use Youtube to stream and Upload my gaming Vids, had my channel sine 2006 I would hate to lose it due to 3 strikes

That specifically isn't incorrect. 3 strikes and your account is gone. For every strike, you're out of broadcasting streams for 6 months.

I don't think it's so much that I prefer anything in particular, rather I just think the UI works for everything I'm trying to do. If i need to search for content, big search bar up top. Want to see my channels? Hover right, it's right there. Want to see trending/my games? Hover left, it's all there.

The issue isn't that it hits or misses feature check boxes, it's that those checkboxes have already been 'solved' better elsewhere, not just Twitch, and the UI sacrifices they've made aren't in service towards doing anything else better. The ambiguity alone of how they're labeling things is bizzare. Why care about 'trending' games versus 'popular' games when they could just sort by the current top ranked, and what exactly do the former even mean?

Edit2: Fixed the video issue. Forgot that I have to start the stream before even loading Arkham Knight for it to work. Please drop by and let me know how everything runs!

Edit: Can't get OBS to cooperate with Batman: Arkham Knight for some reason. No video is showing up.

Have ran into one issue. No matter how many times I tell YouTube the game I'm playing is Batman: Arkham Knight, they won't update it on my page. It still says I am playing Saints Row IV from earlier.

Anyway, I am about to test Arkham Knight (PC, New Game+, very early on) with the new YouTube setup. I am going to play with a 9000kbps bitrate (I have heard that is the max) at 1080p. I have offline recording turned off this time, to see if it fixes the issue I had with game performance earlier with Saints Row IV. I'd appreciate anyone dropping in for a minute to let me know how it looks and how the audio levels are. There'll be a minute delay from when I submit this post and the stream goes live. Thank you.

finalflame

The issue isn't that it hits or misses feature check boxes, it's that those checkboxes have already been 'solved' better elsewhere, not just Twitch, and the UI sacrifices they've made aren't in service towards doing anything else better.

What are the sacrifices?

Yokai

This article isn't accurate. I can't go into details, but there are several assumptions in this article that are incorrect that lead to wildly incorrect conclusions..

Well, I think the only way this fire will calm down is if Youtube Gaming takes the time to go into the details.

I think this is perhaps the biggest point of contention currently and needs to be resolved.

diamount

Banned
I can't even stream medium quality on Twitch reliably with my connection in Australia and its quite fast for Australian internet. YouTube streaming at 1080P60 is fantastic! Works great.

Yeah, there really is no excuse for the competitive FPS players not to use YG for the best experience for their viewers.

jediyoshi

What are the sacrifices?

Specifically for those interested in streaming, there are more actions required to get the same amount of info from elsewhere. If you want to look at a game's streams, you end up hitting the game's landing page, and then the stream's page, and then scrolling through giant thumbnails. If I want to find a channel's info, I land on a channel's stream, and then manually click through to the info page, whereas elsewhere contains all 3 elements simultaneously. They entirely forgo scroll bar functionality on a browser forcing people to use autoscrolling/mousewheel, which is especially a pain since there's so little of the page to 'grab' onto to initiate the former. You get no sense whether the featured channels are actually the most popular channels or whether either of the games categories are the most popular games. The displayed info is so focused towards what YouTube specifically curates, smaller channels playing less popular games that retain a dedicated following will have a harder time getting discovered.

Froli

Turns out Twitch broadcasters with partnered status are not allowed to use other streaming sites like Youtube Gaming. It breaks their contract lol

Top Bottom